[BTS 3.13] Civilization Specific Tech Trees

Just copied the area of your work and put it in the area below for prereq and arrows. Nothing new. Only reason I put my name is so you or anyone else would know what I did. It was not hiding the prereq and arrows before only reason I put up here is if someone needed it.

@johny smith
Ok I see. Thanks I'll add that into the next update if you don't mind with proper mention of course.

@moopoo
Of course i already said I am doing the civics part.

I'm about done adding in a global Channel. After that I guess I'll make civilization specific civics.

If that's what you mean, then we're talking about different things ;) I mean techs that are only researchable when you have a certain civic, or when you have a certain resource, etc.

This is a brilliant modcomp! Good job. I'll see if I can use it in my own mod. When I think of some suggestions, I'll let you know.

Edit:
I'm having issues getting it to work.. I did all the XML work (adding the new line in the technologies and civilization xmls as well as overwriting the two schemas) and that went fine. I also copied the SDK Files folder to my mod.
But as soon as I copy the python file (CvTechChooser) to my mod's folder, the game starts to act weird. When I start a new game, it immediately brings me to (an empty) technology tree, and the rest of the interface (the buttons) is gone.

Could someone help me please?

Out of interest are the channels pre-defined to a specific civ, or are (/can) they be set in game by an initial tech/event choice or perhaps some other system? (ie; the geography/initial resources available of/at the civ's start location).

@Chiyu
Did you just copy the sdk files or did you copy over the DLL too? It sounds like the python is calling a function it can't find.

@Skitters
They are all predefined. However, via python you could edit the tech's channel leaving the door open to create such a system. Making it so events allow certain techs would be very possible though.

Also I updated the mod. All you have to do is replace the python and DLL if you have the mod installed already. This update makes it so that civilization can only trade for techs with the same channel as their own.

Ah, I assumed that the SDK files were 'substitutes' for the dll file so I only copied those. So basically, I need the .dll file otherwise it won't work?

Ah, I assumed that the SDK files were 'substitutes' for the dll file so I only copied those. So basically, I need the .dll file otherwise it won't work?

The files are for if you already have sdk coding in you mod. Otherwise just copy in the new dll.

Whoa, this is awesome! Makes for a much easier diversification of factions. Great idea! Do you plan on releasing an update any time soon with any bug fixes or new features?

*Actually I need to be more specific: in MOO2 all techs are researchable for all civs, but every tech begets only one advantage (building, promotion) - except for the Psilons, who get every advantage of every tech. Can this be translated into Civ-terms? (The tech tree would be identical to all civs, just not what they get for it. Hope this is clear enough.)

No idea if this is a goer but...

Create a non-tradable tech called "Psilon Knowledge"
Make "Psilon Knowledge" a prerequisite for any item which you want to lock down.

Hey...After I merged this with my mod, Civ 4 is crashing before it checks teh xml on startup. I got it to start once. It came up with an error message about civ4forcecontrolinfos.xml I have no idea what is wrong with it. any ideas?

I think it's the bts 3.17 patch. lol oh well. I'll be checking back to see when it's updated.

Thx a ton! :)

does this work with 3.17, too?

i can research every tech with every civ no matter what channel they are in

We are working on including it in the WoC, but don't know when it will be ready completely for sure.

Hey everybody sorry to be gone for so long. I somehow lost my BTS disk one so 3.17 compatibility will take a bit (next paycheck is next week.)

Check out the first post. The mod is now compatible with BTS 3.17. I don't know how many mods are updating to 3.19 but as soon as finish installing the patch I'll make a 3.19 version.

On a similar line to what you've done with this mod is it possible to stop a tech being researched until a certain condition is met. I.E. you are wandering around the map with your military unit and you encounter another civs military unit, normally you automatically get an intro to the civ and can either have peace or war but cannot trade anything until certain techs are researched. There should be a 50% chance of war automatically being declared when you encounter each new civ for the first time. So, until you have learnt how to communicate with your opponents you cannot conduct any form of diplomacy, cultural misunderstandings have caused many wars. In the B5 mod i have a tech called First Contact Protocols which i want to be blocked until you have encountered a new race and then it has to be researched for each new race you encounter. I doubt something of this complexity can be done but i had to ask.:lol:

Top Bottom