Welcome to Dune wars + Latest version

keldath

LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

Dune Wars Mod Version 1.5 -
for civ 4 patch 3.19

last update: 15.09.09

This mod is The best adaptation we could made for civ4, for those of you who read the books, you'll find in the mod, many fictional elements, this had to be done in order to create a good and rich mod that will surpass the vanilla bts.​

dune wars creatores : keldath, davidlallen, koma13, delivirator, johny smith,Ajidica and pheonician.

Story Background :

Hello and welcome to Dune Wars. For those who are not familiar with Frank Herbert's epic Dune saga, this mod features a struggle between several factions based on family houses; such as the Imperial House Corrino, and a few organizations; such as the Spacing Guild who has a monopoly on space travel. They all fight to control one planet - Dune, Arrakis, a barren, dry, desert wasteland is valuable for one reason alone- the spice melange. The spice has the universe addicted to it; it extends life, it allows for the Navigators of the the Spacing Guild to Foldspace, travel from here to there without moving. It's the basis for the economy and trade of the known universe. The spice is created by Sand Worms, giant creatures that live their whole life in the sand. The Imperium calls them Shaitan, the Demon while the Fremen call the Shai-Hulud, Great Maker. The worms may grow larger than 400 meters long.

The ruler of the royal House Corrino, the Emperor Shaddam IV Corrino, has given control of the planet Dune to all of the Noble Houses. He decided on this after the current House controlling Dune, House Harkonnen, failed to meet spice quotas. The Harkonnens protested it was not their fault, it was due to a mysterious Fremen Umma (Prophet) by the name of Muad'Dib who they hailed as theor messiah. All of the Houses who could afford to land on Dune did so to be the next ruler of Dune. The Spice must flow, and whoever controls the Spice controls the universe.
-The Princess Irulan Corrino, The Arrakis Affair

Are you ready to become the sole ruler of Dune, and in turn, control the Universe?

DUNE WARS! .

Features in the mod for version 1.5:

mod components :

Spoiler :
1.woc revdcm v2.5.1:
- influence driven war
- dale combat mod (battle effects are disabled)
- super spies
- bug 3.6
- inquisition
- limited religions
- advanced combat odds v1
2.unique home world system to order in units ( just like mercenaries)
3.jculture control v2
4.jimprovement mod v1
5.secret tech mod - disabled for now
6.mountains back in service
7.transforming victory
8.mastery victory by sevo
9.abandon city mod

the mod structure:
Spoiler :

1. 9 playable civilizations
2. variety of leaders
3. unique resources to each faction
4. unique building for each faction
5. changed terrain colors to desert like.
6. ocean is now a vast desert - same function though.
7. unique upgradable improvement system using jimprovement mod
8. unique spice resource system by davidallen deliverator and koma.
9. completely new art and a total conversion.
10. two more victory conditions.
11. unique corporation system
12. water instead of food.
13. unique economy system

everything in the mod is converted and changed,
some values remained the same as the vanilla - like civics and such.
7 religions and corporations.

download section

important before you download and play :

1. play only through custom game option.
2. the mod is currently optimized with turned of mod componants, stability works 100% with the current settings.
3. theres a sound addon file - read the instructions how to make it work.
4. if you are playing vista - get in the altroot.py file in the game folder.
5. use the shortcuts the popup shows in the begining of a game ( bug mod for interface for example).

known issues:
Spoiler :

1. several pedia entries are missing
2. if you have a ctd, error, plz post a savegame.

download links:

For civ4 patch - 3.19 version 1.5 and no other patch for now:

Press to Download

sound addon file (reccomended!) - for 3.19:

Press to Download

mirror

soon

instructions for using the sound file:

see:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=332729

version history :
Spoiler :

version 1.3:

Press to Download

Press to Download
sound addon:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1d02m1cznem/dune wars.1.3.exe

v 1.2 link: http://rapidshare.com/files/246328043/dune_wars-1.2.exe

patch 1.2.3 : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8238136&postcount=3

For civ4 patch - 3.17 version 1.1:

v.1.1 link: http://rapidshare.com/files/241191529/dune_wars-v-1.1.exe

sound addon file - for 3.17 :

http://rapidshare.com/files/236309821/sound_addon.exe - 98 mb zipped

credits:
Spoiler :

Phoenician

davidlallen
koma13
delivirator
johny smith
cephalo
the_j
melinko
vadus
Ajidica

for being a part of this mod, many thanks guys.

glider - woc rev dcm (and johny smith
the_j - mars mod
maniac - planetfall
avian - terraforming
jeckel - j-mods
Teg_Navanis - unit statistics (and johny smith)
sevo - mastery victory
pieceOfMind - combat odds
Nemo - abandom city ( and orion veteran)
jdog - revolution
smeagolheart - examine city on conquest
kael - assassination mod
mylon - enhanced city size
NeverMind -mountains back in service
Shqype - vicinity and city preqeq size
alerum68 and EmperorFool- bug mod

art makers (thanks the_j):

- delivirator - for making many units + the worm art
- GarretSidzaka
- The_Coyote
- Mechaerik
- C.Roland
- Woodelf
- KrugerPritz
- seZereth
- Nfstpoeopas

and the countless people that created all the buildings and unit art, i don't know who created which,
but if you pm me ll credit you,
huge thanks for art makers.

we need help !:

If you like this mod, and you have sdk, python xml, art skills,

i really need help to implement many ideas to this mod,
mainly i need sdk coders, for instance the worm sign/event, must be sdk based, and im no coder...

also
i need python modders - i want to have a special map scripts - that will place desert onstead of ocean, varus did a map like this but some tweaks are needed.

unit makers -
if anyone wishes to create units - that would really make the mod dunish.

anyone who wishes to help are more then welcomed.

enjoy another creation of mine and the dune team,

long live the fighters!

Here are the hints which are in the game. This should help you to understand some of the differences between a standard game of Civ, and a game of Dune Wars. If there are other things you find confusing, let's add more hints.

You can expand across the desert by researching Desert Exploration. This allows scouts, settlers, workers and soldiers to cross the edges of the deep desert.

When you research Desert Suits, scouts can cross any terrain, including deep desert.

Sandstorms can destroy improvements and troops. They travel east, and rarely cross hills or peaks.

Sandworms are too strong to attack, and will destroy improvements. Use the thumper promotion to drop a thumper, which will draw the sandworm away from your units.

Spice blows look like tornadoes which last several turns. They explode and spread spice in the adjacent plots.

Workers can build a spice harvester improvement on spice bonuses. Workers on automation will build the improvement on nearby tiles.

As soon as you build your first spice harvester improvement, found your spice corporation. This will give you a lot of commerce income for each improvement you control.

Spice is deposited by spice blows and it disappears over time. It will disappear from a tile faster if the tile has a spice harvester improvement.

Whenever a Harkonnan unit wins a combat, there is a chance it will create a slave. The slave is a fast worker which can build any improvement, but it dies upon completion.

Count Fenring has excellent infiltrators. Each infiltrator will gain one XP per turn, so they will quickly become experts.

There are no forests on Dune. However, the surface mine improvement may be built anywhere to give a small continual industry bonus.

There is not a drop of rain on Arrakis. Water is precious. Water is life.

Water is vital to get your cities growing and to sustain populations.

At the start of the game, hills yield water from the higher air moisture and plants yield a small amount of dew. These yields can be increased by building Wind Traps and Dew Collectors.

The best water sources on Arrakis are beneath the surface of the planet. Seek out Groundwater and dig Wells to bring a constantly flow of life-giving water into your cities.

As time goes on you can replace Shallow Wells with Deep Wells to increase the water output of Groundwater tiles. Eventually, you will be able to build Qanat Systems to obtain even more.

He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

EDIT: this patch is obsolete as of July 9 due to version 1.3. Please see the first post on this thread for the latest version.

Here is unofficial patch 1.2.3. This contains a lot of changes, including a reimplementation of storms and worms. You can install this over any 1.2 or 1.2.x patch. See this post for the contents of 1.2.2.

Economics changes

* Civs were founding few new cities, because of the threat from sandworms and sandstorms in the deep desert. The worm and storm are now implemented as map-only graphic effects. This is better and worse, hopefully more "better" than "worse". Now when you mouseover a worm or storm, it does not tell you anything. And the AI and automated units pay no attention to them, so there will be some losses. But the AI grows noticeably faster now. This includes a new sandstorm effect with lightning.

* The worm AI is working, but not very final. The "wormsign" effect is a placeholder. It is a black thundercloud with rain, which is clearly not what we want. I think the worm attacks properly but I have seen it occasionally push a unit out of the way instead of attacking; so I am not sure it is perfect.

* No more mushrooms! Removed all traces of "forest" feature. To compensate for the chop bonus of forest, surface mine can now be built on any terrain.

* Deep Harvester unit is still present, but not very important anymore. It now requires hovering technology and its only unique benefit is to build a desert compound, which is itself not very important. Its key action, creating the spice harvester, can now be performed by workers. This makes workers more important.

Civilization bonuses

We eventually want every civ to have some strong, unique bonus, which is carefully balanced against the other civ bonuses. But Rome is not built in a day. The following are test implementations for a couple of civs.

* Harkonnan slaves. Whenever a Harkonnan unit wins a combat, there is a 75% chance it will create a slave. The slave is a fast worker which can build any improvement, but it dies when the improvement is finished. In the future we may change this so that it can be killed in a city to give a hammer bonus (worked to death in the factories), or an XP bonus (dies in the arena). If this bothers you, turn it off by adding one character to the python as shown inside the spoiler.

Spoiler :

In file assets\python\dunewars.py, add a comment character to the registration of onCombatResult as shown here:
Code:
	# Initialize, called from BUG init
	def __init__(self, customEM, configfile):
                [...]
		customEM.addEventHandler("EndGameTurn", self.onEndGameTurn)
		# customEM.addEventHandler("combatResult", self.onCombatResult)
		customEM.addEventHandler("plotFeatureRemoved", self.onPlotFeatureRemoved)

* Fenring hero infiltrator. Every Fenring infiltrator gets 1 XP per turn. The units will awaken to ask for their promotion, which is annoying. In the future it may be possible to keep them asleep if they were asleep, to minimize interruptions. If the XP bothers you, turn it off by adding one character to the python as shown inside the spoiler.
Spoiler :

In file assets\python\dunewars.py, add a comment character to the call of SpyExperience as shown here:
Code:
	def onEndGameTurn(self, argsList):
		[...]
		self.SpiceBlow()
		# self.SpyExperience()
		# not for release: self.StatPrint(iGameTurn)

Other changes

* Removed medium hover unit. For a reason we do not understand, this was causing a repeatable crash to desktop as soon as its related tech, Desert Industry, became available. Possibly it can be re-added with different xml.

* Added new windtrap unit art by Lord Tirian.

* Changed time of building a spice harvester from 0 to 3 turns. This will make commerce ramp up a little more slowly when you get a big blow nearby, and also may make worms a little bit more of a threat. You will have to consider whether or not to finish that harvester before the worm arrives.

* Spice blow and spice bonus will not appear next to a windtrap. This represents "poisoning" the nearby land with trace water.

* Removed three levels of spice density. Graphically it made no difference anyway; removed the related features and python code.

* As discussed on "tuning economics and buildings" thread:
+ Boosted Food Warehouse so that it is equivalent to granary, 50% growth and +1 health on all three drip farm foods
+ Deleted trade port, crystal database, reservoir, kiswa, pillar of fire, undergound routes, weld factory, food slik, food silo
+ Renamed Spice Refinery building to just plain Refinery.
+ Deleted xenomill and refinery lvl 1,2,3 improvements. The refinery was unbuildable anyway, since it required spice but could only be built on land.

You can get it from this link (5 MB).

What version should I be dling? The 1.3 or the 1.4, which I can't find the link for? Also, where is the link for the patches? It would be nice to have the main dl and the patches all in one area. I've been paying attention to the forum, and even I'm consufused by how the mod/patches are distributed.

It is pretty confusing at the moment. Hopefully we can get things more organized and clear soon.

You can find the necessary files for the latest version (1.4.8) in this post.

There is a Music Pack here, and an Art patch adding proper tech tree buttons here.

Thanks. I'll try it out soon.

My opinion of this mod, after much delighted astonishment at someone having such an idea of making such a thing, is that it needs more polish. The lack of writing in the "Dune'o'Pedia" and the lack of text in the submenus is the most glaring example of this. Not only will doing so make the mod look infinitely more professional, but the lack of such makes adapting to the new gameplay more difficult as you must experiment to ascertain the function of new buildings, units, etc.

Is there 1.5.5 aviable for download already?

I was trying to DL the dune mod but there something wrong with the links, im redirected to CF general dl page after the site is unable to find the mod downloadable site, i guess its a broken link.
same goes for the sound pack.
I've tryed to use the "Voice" and shout at the stupid inturnetz but that didnt work... :p
Help?

edit:
oh demn, i did a necro :\

i've found the new thread here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=338329

MODS, do your job, and Davidlallen , pls add the new link at the top of this post to avoid future necros.
Thanks.

[SOLVED]

Top Bottom