How do you make a map in Planetfall?

Silverr

Chieftain
I was just wondering if there is a way to make any maps in the mod, or in BtS, and convert them for Planetfall? A lot of the random map generations are just blah, and ugly. I know someone started on making a re-make of Planet/Chiron, but I'm not sure how far along they are, since they stopped posting, and I'd like to take a shot at it, I am just not sure how to make a map in a Mod in Civ IV. :confused:

I've never made a premade map myself. Do you know how to make one in unmodded Civ4? Perhaps there are some tutorials in the Tutorial forum.
I presume that you could just start a random game on the desired map size (using the Planetfall mod of course), remove all factions and change all terrain to Ocean, and then start creating the map you want from this empty slate, and save it as a Worldbuilder file.

The guy who started on a Map of Planet never posted a file, so all his work can be presumed lost.

It would be great if you would have a go at creating a Map of Planet! May I ask though that:
1) you make a standard-sized map before anything else
2) that you regularly post updates of the Worldbuilder file, so that if you too mysteriously disappear ;) that not all your work is lost.

Yeah, I think that's the only way to do it. But can a world builder file be used as a map when starting a custom scenario or anything? I'm not sure.

Either way, yeah I'll prolly start on one, and post updates. I'll be working this week tho, so updates may or may not be slow in the beginning. We'll see how this all turns out. xD

Looks like im making good time tonight, actually. This is what I have so far, but its only the minimap- not sure how to zoom out all the way, because when I do, its only a partial map. After the terrain tho, I'll have to lay out the resources, bleh.

Attachments

• minimap1.jpg
    minimap1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 449
Alright, I sorta finished the map, but not really. I don't know where or HOW to place starting points. So, when I tried to play using the map, I got an automatic defeat, Lol. If anyone knows how to place starting points, or how to even play a game from a worldbuilder file, let me know.

I added the save so you all could at least see what was done so far. I forgot to add any unity pods to the land masses tho. But thats about it, besides the start points.

Attachments

• Planet_Final.zip
    22.6 KB · Views: 226
Alright, I sorta finished the map, but not really. I don't know where or HOW to place starting points. So, when I tried to play using the map, I got an automatic defeat, Lol. If anyone knows how to place starting points, or how to even play a game from a worldbuilder file, let me know.
You have to edit the file manually (with a text editor), it's not a big edit, I just done in in a couple of minutes and got the map up and running (start points are random, but I think they should be!) - I've attached it so you can see how it's done.

On the map itself: Has its rough spots and some kinks (mainly the placement of features and bonuses) - but in general: It's a beauty! The shapes look great!

Cheers, LT.

Attachments

• Planet_Final_working.zip
    18.9 KB · Views: 248
Thanks for the map Silverr! I agree with Lord Tirian it needs improvements in certain areas (more on that in later posts), but already a huge thanks for doing what no one has done before in two years! :D

You have to edit the file manually (with a text editor), it's not a big edit, I just done in in a couple of minutes and got the map up and running (start points are random, but I think they should be!) - I've attached it so you can see how it's done.

Thanks! Do you know how to make the starting era settable btw (now fixed on Arrival)? Not useful right now, but would be after the SMAX factions are added.

Thanks! Do you know how to make the starting era settable btw (now fixed on Arrival)? Not useful right now, but would be after the SMAX factions are added.
I don't know how to make it settable, but if you add "Era=ERA_EXPANSION" between the "BeginGame" and "EndGame" tags, you start in the expansion era, ditto for the other eras - would mean that you'd have to make one map for each era (i.e. just with the different tag). For more infos, you might want to take a look here, Dale discusses the file and file structure in detail, lot of tweakable stuff there.

Cheers, LT.

On the map itself: Has its rough spots and some kinks (mainly the placement of features and bonuses) - but in general: It's a beauty! The shapes look great!

Cheers, LT.

Yeah I pretty much rushed that! Haha. Plus it's my first map, so I have no idea where stuff should be, etc. I wish there was a random bonus script that could be used with it, but I don't know if it would work with the mod.

And thanks both of you! Not sure if I wanna make a huge map now tho, haha! Maybe later on.

Here's some pointers on modding maps suitable for Planetfall. Sorry I didn't post this before Silverr, but I didn't expect you to make the Map of Planet so fast.

Plot types/"Elevation":

In SMAC terrain can only increase at most 1000m per plot. Planetfall does not have this restriction with Lowlands/Highlands/Ridges. Furthermore, elevation serves a different gameplay purpose in Planetfall. Its main effect is on the spread of fungus. Fungus can never grow on Ridges, and only on Highlands at high Flowering Counter levels. In addition, you cannot move directly from a lowland plot to a ridge plot, or vice versa. This turns long ridges of Ridge into a defensive barrier. These two effects together can create easily defendable fungus-free zones, which makes running a Terraformed strategy easier. Without large stretches of highlands+ridges, such a strategy would be very impractical. Therefore it's not advisable to try to copy the elevation encountered in the SMAC Map of Planet, where all the coast is lowland, and the more inland, the higher the elevation generally speaking. There should be several plateaus of highland bordered by ridges. And a considerable percentage of the coastline should be Highlands.

Terrain types:

The land terrain is pretty straightforward. Planetfall's Flat/Rocky Arid/Moist/Rainy resembles SMAC's Flat/Rolling/Rocky Arid/Moist/Rainy close enough.
One difference though: Planetfall adds Polar terrain. This is not included in the map you made. I think some should be added to give room for bonus resources which only occur on Polar terrain to spawn.

Sea terrain: SMAC also had elevation err I mean depth for water terrain. Planetfall does not have this, but it does have Coast, Shelf and Ocean terrain types. (Trenches are a feature now.)
Silverr, I noticed your map had lots of Coast terrain in the middle of the ocean. Is this an intentional move, or were you not aware of this because Coast and Shelf use the same graphic? There is a big difference between these two terrains as Shelf provides two nutrients and Coast one nutrient and two energy. Premade maps can take liberties which are impossible in mapscripts, such as placing Coast terrain in the middle of the ocean. And this Coast terrain could fit to represent certain features of the Map of Planet, such as the Geothermal Shallows. But I don't think it should be used on so many places on plots not bordering land.

The opposite could be done too by the way, in limited locations. Shelf instead of the usual Coast could be placed next to land. The obvious place to do this is the Freshwater Sea of course.

Feature types:

The big thing to mention here is that no Forest at all should be placed on the map! That's introduced by humans to Chiron. The Jungle feature is native to Chiron, and should be placed en masse at the Monsoon Jungle location. It's good to also place occasional features on other spots near the equatorial region, as you did. That way certain resources like Rare Tropical DNA won't always only occur inside the Monsoon Jungle.

Jungle and Xenofungus should only be placed on Lowlands.

I'd prefer a generally thicker Ice cap, with lots of inlets. I have some ideas (focused around the Enclosed Biosphere theme) to make this feature more interesting.

Trenches: the SMAC Map of Planet had trenches in the middle of the ocean, evenly placed between continents. Again a limitation of the SMAC elevation system. In reality it's the other way around. Ocean ridges (can be represented by Shelf) often occur in the middle between continental plates. And Trenches often occur right next to a coastal mountain ridge or an island chain. The mapscript represents this by only allowing a Trench to occur if at least one adjacent plot is a highland/ridge and at least on adjacent plot is Ocean terrain. Sea fungus cannot grow on Trenches. As a consequence, trenches serve the same function as Ridges on land: a barrier against fungus, giving easier sea access to those following a Terraformer strategy. While once again liberties could be taken with Trench placement on a premade maps, placing them on plots the mapscript would never do, I feel their main gameplay function should not be forgotten.

Earth Ocean trench and ridge map as illustration:

Spoiler :

Resources, unity pods and landmarks

Good news! I had a look and it is in fact possible to randomize resource placement by changing a single line in the WorldBuilder file. By copying a few python code lines from Fall from Heaven, I could also let unity pod and spawning spot placement be randomized. So need to worry about those.

I would prefer to have landmarks at their SMAC location though. This is not the case in your map.

I had a look at the Utility Programs forum, and found a program to turn a Bitmap picture into a map for Civ4. :blush: Download it here. For it to work, I had to manually type 'import whatever' in the python console. Just double-clicking the scenario file didn't work.

I tried it the process on both the minimap of the Standard and Huge Maps of Planet. The standard-sized minimap gives too much land IMO, but the huge-sized minimap too little. I attached some screenshots for comparison.

Attachments

• MapsOfPlanet.zip
    36.1 KB · Views: 272
I would prefer to have landmarks at their SMAC location though. This is not the case in your map.
Oh, something about landmarks: On the middle continent, in the south-western edge, there's a big circular ridge structure - in SMAC, that was the Garland crater - but Planetfall has the crater as landmark as well - you might want to give a suggestion what to do with that (because the SMAC crater is way larger compared to the Planetfall feature, especially once you consider that Planetfall has a larger map than SMAC, due to the higher number of plots in CivIV maps).

Cheers, LT.

Large meteors can cause several concentric mountain ridges. So it would fit to simply place the Garland Crater landmark in the middle, then around that eight plots of lowland, and around that a ring of mostly Ridges. Gives the look of two rings in other words.

Nice map! :) I played a few turns with it and noticed two things:

1. I spotted at least twice the Crabs resource from BTS (one instance is S of the big forest, the other in the great lake in the SW part of the map)
2. The timeline is currently off - each turn is 40 years

Hmm, that's just a matter of changing the string name.

I don't really feel like supporting that map though. I'd rather see someone redo the map, using the maps I attached a few posts up as base.

it's understandabke if you don't feel like supportng it, but I don't see any other map of planet around here just now. For those who want to play with it, this is their only choice. it's a bit petty to leave it broken when the fix is so simple, just to encourage a remake. I could see your point if it were going to take hours to make it functional again, but all you've done is rename some resources, isn't it ?

This might be a better place for map stuff than the task list thread... I took your map, Maniac, and spruced up the western continent (the one with the pholus ridge and the freshwater lake) - I tried to make it look more natural and to keep in line with western winds, meaning west sides of ridges are more moist than the east. I took some liberties with the terrain and fiddled a bit with the elevation as well, but I hope it looks more natural now. If you like the look, I'd continue with doing the other continents and the oceans.

(Note: This isn't a map you can really play on... for that, I'd need to add resources, pods etc., but I think that should be the very last step after finishing the general terrain)

Cheers, LT.

Attachments

• Planet3.rar
    15.1 KB · Views: 380
It looks awesome and very natural indeed! :goodjob:

I'd like there to be an area of the map which is very suitable for each of the ecological strategies. For the Hybrids near the Ruins, for the Terraformers near the Monsoon Jungle and Sunny Mesa, and for the Biodomed ecology under the Freshwater Sea.

The right coast of the Ruins area is all arid. This screams out to follow Biodomed instead of Hybrid. I would therefore like to suggest to place more fungus there and/or change the terrain to at least moist. For the same reason I'd suggest to remove all polar terrain from that area.

For the area under the Freshwater Sea I'd like to suggest to place a mountain ridge somewhere as indicated on the screenshot. North of the Ridge the terrain could be all lowlands, but south of it I would suggest the terrain is all highlands and/or polar. In other words, no trouble with fungus and an encouragement to go Biodomed.

the western continent (the one with the pholus ridge and the freshwater lake)

Names for the three continents would be useful. Long ago I invented the names Runa, Nekkes and Boroli (derived from the Ruins, the Nexus, and the Borehole Cluster), but names from Greek mythology would probably be more in line with the existing theme.

keep in line with western winds

For the record, while it's cool to see the rainy areas where they used to be in SMAC, as a general rule I don't see a need to follow rainfall patterns for the Planetfall map.

(Note: This isn't a map you can really play on... for that, I'd need to add resources, pods etc., but I think that should be the very last step after finishing the general terrain)

It's possible to randomize unity pod and resource placement on a map. So no need to place those, except for those places where we absolutely want a particular resource, like the Uranium Flats.

Edit: I attached a map in which I changed a single plot on Nekkes' west coast back from coast to land.

Names for the three continents would be useful. Long ago I invented the names Runa, Nekkes and Boroli (derived from the Ruins, the Nexus, and the Borehole Cluster), but names from Greek mythology would probably be more in line with the existing theme.

If you want to follow Greek mythology, how about using names derived from the Titans? Less known then the Olympian gods. Here are their names: Oceanos, Coeus, Crius, Hyperion, Iapetos, Theia, Rhea, Themis, Mnemosyne, Phoebe, Tethys, and Kronos. Plenty to give names to subparts of a main continent. :)

It's possible to randomize unity pod and resource placement on a map. So need to place those, except for those places where we absolutely want a particular resource, like the Uranium Flats.

I suppose you meant "So NO need to place those,..."?

Top Bottom