Mazera Mega Story Thread

Here we go.

Spoiler :
Deremei Diranth looked out over the many groups of Goblins under his command. To their right, beating trees with their thick skulls, was the Ogre platoon. They had proven to be a good decision and had sealed the victory in several battles with the Yokaido. To the left of the Goblins were the recently acquired Frostlings from the Illians. Mokka of the Frostlings had come to Deremei's camp and offered him hundreds of Frostlings in return for crushing the Yokaido. He had agreed, of course.
His second-in-command, Tevin Earscream, approached him and gave him the status report, the best he could at least. "We ready for kill, sir. Ogres make clubs and ready for bashing. Frostlings ready to make cold. I give signal?" Deremei nodded at Earscream and mused about how primitive his people were. How had he, Deremei Diranth, a Goblin born in a Muris Clan camp, grown to become the leader of the largest and most deadly Clan of Goblins in Erebus?
Deremei thought back to when he was a child. He didn't remember much, mostly his family moving constantly from place to place. When he was old enough, he participated in the hunts and raids on different nations on Mazera. He remembered when he became smart, at least what he believed caused it. He had discovered a strange crystal formation, dyed a light pink and pulsating light. He had gone near it, poking and prodding at it until a small crack developed in it. From this crack, a large burst of light exploded out, consuming Deremei.
When he had awoken, he felt more aware of his surroundings, know what things were and what he could do with them. He changed his name to Deremei Diranth and set out to create his own Clan. It was easy to convert Muris Clan Goblins, as seeing a Goblin speak in full sentences impressed them greatly. His Clan had grown tremendously and had even captured an outpost in which they constructed a crude palace. Deremei was honored by the gesture, but rarely entered the place.
It had been difficult to get the Ogres to join, as they could barely speak, even less so than Goblins. After much time and effort, they eventually got the idea of joining his Clan and he became that much more powerful on Mazera. They had targeted the Yokaido, sensing something wrong about them and had been very successful so far. They were funded by a Warlord named Ishlar Kafahn and had received Goblin convert reinforcements from the Grigori.
Deremei snapped out of his thoughts as he realized his Clan was looking at him. He stepped up onto a rock and cleared his throat. "My Clan! Today, we march on these demon-people and claim their lands for our own! They send snakes to devour us, but we shall cut them down with our traps and our guile! They send warriors at us, but we shall cut them down with poisons and metal! Today we announce to this world, we are the Diranth Clan and we are here!" His Clan cheered as he smiled with pride. They would be fully motivated for the battle to come.

I won't refuse an offered character, but I intend to keep this one below around for awhile.

---

"Hyppoc Tic, Western Region Brigade of the Ordine Medicos?"

Hyppoc nodded to the Eloheim guard who had come into his clinic in the poorer part of the Eloheim capital.

"That is I," she said, finishing her bandaging of a child's foot and sending him to his mother before turning his full attention to the guard.

"How might I assist you, Corporal?" Hyppoc asked. "You don't appear ill or injured."

The young guard, almost the age of her own younger brother, explained. "You have been summoned to the Palace. There is someone we need you to see at your first convenience."

Hyppoc repressed a sigh. Typical nobles. "Unless it is an emergency operation or the patient can not be moved, my first convenience will be whenever he or she comes here. Until then, I have patients who have been waiting here for hours. The Ordine Medicos does not refuse or prioritize anyone above another except in cases of life or death. Tell me, Corporal: is this a time-critical injury of life or death?"

The Corporal clearly didn't enjoy being refused. "Well, no," he admitted, "but-"

"Then my convenience is whenever they arrive." Hyppoc turned her back on the soldier and prepared to call in the next patient.

"I have the authority to arrest you and drag you there," the Corporal said, trying to intimidate Hyppoc into submission. Without a word, she stood up straight infront of him.

To call Hyppoc a large woman would be to imply she was large of girth or tall. Those missed the concept of what she was. Hyppoc was a large woman in the same sense that a soldier was large: her sinew was strong and her muscles large from constant work and regular traveling. A naturally tall body had been tailored even further in the Medicos's physical training for travel and self-defense, and the woman looked far more likely to arm wrestle longshoremen for money than to do the delicate work of curing herbs and healing wounds. But despite the body any soldier would respect, she was a pacifist who turned her energies to healing the weak. Her oath, quickly a Medicos standard, was legendary: "First, do no harm."

Not that the corporal knew that, though. He only saw that she towered over him in height and build, and that she was not to be intimidated. When she turned her back on him yet again with a sniff of contempt, he told more of the truth than he had wanted to in a public place.

"The patient is dead!" he choked out.

Hyppoc turned yet again, half of her wondering how many times she would do so this day. The other half was expressed in her guarded gaze as she stared down the Corporal.

"I have no power to raise the dead," she said slowly. "So why do you need my presence?"

"To find out what killed the Queen!"

---

When she had arrived with her kit, Hyppoc was surprised just how fast she was shuffled into the palace through the back doors. Already the atmosphere had changed: even those who didn't know what had happened were overcome with a sense of sadness.

They passed several rooms which were blocked off by guards who quickly ushered them past. Eventually they came to to a indoor garden, where a group of people were circled around the white-clad body.

Hyppoc waited as Corporal Adrian (she had dragged his name out of him on the way over) went to one of the official-looking persons and got his attention. The man, clearly a minister, saw her and walked over to her.

"Welcome, Medicos" he bid. "I am Minister Calim. Thank you for coming so quickly."

"I am Hyppoc," Hyppoc said. "Is this the patient?" she asked, though the answer was obvious.

"That is the mortal remains of Ethne the White," he confirmed. "She was found like this by Einion Logos when he- What are you doing?" he asked, trying to stop her as she approached the body. "The sight is not fit for one such as-"

Hyppoc shot the man a look that made Adrian glad he wasn't the target of it.

"Minister," she explained with faux patience, "I am a Grigori Medicos. I am battle-field trained and experienced. I have seen far worse victims of the Yokaido and far more gore and exposed organs during the war, I assure you. If you wish for me to do what you called me for, to determine what exactly killed her, I must inspect the body. Continue with what you were saying about Einion Logos finding the body," she commanded. Already she was putting on gloves and examining Elne's extremities for any hint of what had happened.

"His Excellency found her here in her private garden," Calim said. "She was fond of coming to this sanctuary for peace and meditation. How sad that-"

"Who was the last to see her?" asked Hyppoc.

"His Excellency found her this afternoon," Calim began, but Hyppoc cut him off again.

"Who was the last to see her alive?" she stressed.

Calim bristled, and his face turned red. "If you seek to imply that his Excellency-"

Hyppoc was never fond of letting others complete useless sentences. "I need to know so that I can ask them if she was already showing symptoms," Hyppoc said. "Look here," she instructed, pointing to a tiny swell on Ethne's wrist, which had been hidden by her flowing robes. "I need a sample of her blood and to examine her body in full to confirm, but I doubt this was a natural death: most of her body suggests high levels of health, except for being dead now of course. If she was poisoned, this might have been where."

"Poisoned?" Calim asked, aghast. "As in, assassination? I know many leaders have died under suspicious causes of late, but here?"

"I can't be sure," Hyppoc said. "As I said, I need to do a full body examination and a blood sample."

"Examination? Sample?" asked Calim, uneasy.

"It's not as if she can feel anything anymore," Hyppoc reassured.

---

"So it was poison?" asked Minister Calim some time later. Hyppoc knew she was just confirming what the Eloheim healers with whom she had examined the body with had doubtless told him already, but she suspected that they wanted her verdict because she wasn't Eloheim. The Grigori Medicos were known and respected as neutrals across the continent, and even Scions would submit to their care without fear, as rarely as that happened. If a Grigori Medicos ruled foul play, it would mean much more to more people. Such was the way of politics.

"Yes, Minister," Hyppoc replied. "Blood-burning tests demonstrated the presence of natural venom in Ethne's bloodstream. Though nothing close to the strength of Yokaido snake venom, it strongly resembles that of a natural animal venom a common tool in this day and age. It is my evaluation that some animal or someone pricked Ethne the White's wrist, and the venom subsequently paralyzed her lungs and suffocated her during her meditation."

"Something like, say, an Archos spider or a Svartalfar dagger?"

"I could not confirm without the item or animal in question, Minister," Hyppoc dodged.

"But you can't deny it," he pressed.

"I can not disprove it," she said.

"Thank you, Medicos Hyppoc," Minister Calim said. "You're fee will be paid as you leave, and more to thank you for your speed in helping us. We would also hope, however, that you remain discrete about this for the time. Would you mind, at least until the funeral?"

"Certainly," Hyppoc agreed. "Now if I might ask a final question of you, Minister?"

"By all means," he said, though he likely expected her to.

"It is known that monks of your orders fight demons on the Fane of Lessers, but that the main army of your nation remains here. Are we do to see warfare on the Western coast?"

Minister Calim considered. Not just answering her question, but what that answer might mean as a consequence. Hyppoc was a Medicos, but the Medicos never denied their loyalty. What was said or done to a Medicos came to Cassiel's ears soon enough.

"There might already be a war occurring," he decided. "But it remains to be seen. What do you think, Medicos?" he inquired. Would Cassiel pick or choose a side...?

"We are always bound to offer aid to all who need it," Hyppoc responded. "But as of late, the spider infection of the West has made it too dangerous for our order to attend the Archos lands. In the mean time, the Ordine Medicos will continue to freely share our means to combat the poisons of venomous spiders and other animals of these parts."

Captain Mynan, now fully entrenched in Cualli lands, has recieved information of the Austrin and Mazatl lands. He heightens his efforts, upping pillaging and raids into larger-scale assaults. He focuses mostly on the Austrin. Shadows with hawk couriers are well hidden within the Austrin lands, and will send him word so he can be gone long before either of the Dragons could arrive.

His forces are comprised mostly of the Urak-clan, although he has a cohort of the Knights of Radonnor, as well as a small contingent of hell riders, and of course, militia horsemen.

ARANOX SIGHTED, ARCHOS CLAIM POOL OF TEARS

The massive spider known as Aranox has again been sighted. Dural explorers have claimed to have seen a massive spider leading a horde of giant spiders. Several of the spiders crawling on Aranox's body jumped off and attacked the explorers. Svartalfar scouts have reported running into Aranox as well. Along with this, the Archos have claimed the legendary Pool of Tears. The Elohim nation is appalled as they have visited it since and found it filled with spider eggs and covered in webs. Some of the spiders began attacking the Elohim before the Archos could get them under control.​

A gnoll and orc walk into a Grigori bar, where they quietly talk about religion.

If the joke doesn't sound funny, that's because it wasn't a joke. It was just an unusual occurance in the Sleeping Dragon, a cheap bar in Kalm. No one would have given it a second thought, if it weren't for the Gnoll. Orcs were common enough these days, even outside the western lands, and religion was surprisingly well talked about in a nation of agnostics.

But the Gnoll? Those were unusual. Atudire Novre hadn't seen one of those since the Clan Campaigns, well before the Invasion. And even then, it had always been on the opposite side of his sword.

Curious, he carefully meandered over to the beer keg nearest them, covertly listening in as he refilled his draft. It was hard in the tavern, and he only caught a few whispers. "Goddess," "angel," were benign enough. "Bhall," "dreams", made him risk a closer look.

Like most soldiers in the Clan campaign, Atudire had been shown posters of high-value Clan leaders. Generals, priests of Bhall, that sort of thing. Just who Jonas thought he was fooling without a better disguise, Atudire didn't know. Perhaps he was counting that the populace was more concerned with the Yokaido; that would be a safe bet. But when Atudire sat down at the bar with his back to them again, he did so much closer to them than before.

He only caught a little bit more, but what he gathered made him suspicious. After the gnoll and orc had left, Atudire waited a quarter mark before leaving himself, setting off in a different direction entirely. He might be a retired Hero of the Sword, just training new swordsmen up to snuff these days, but he still had favors that he was owed. Some important friends of his might want to know about this, enough so that he wouldn't be wasting a favor.

Brigit Speaks (again)

Jonas. Travel to the Khazad ruins. I have left you a sign. find it, and you will be closer to finding me.

SCREAMS FROM UNDERHOME

Recent explorers to the Khazad ruins have heard what they describe as screams and cries for help from the Underhome. They report that sound pained and helpless, yet not Dwarven or any other kind of race they can identify by voice alone. No explorers have gone into the Underhome to investigate these noises for as soon as they approach the entrance, a terrible feeling of dread overcomes them. The Bannor, the most courageous of the nations, have sent an exploration party to investigate the Underhome and they are still en route.​

Piett's journey

"UGWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" yelled the bandit as his own skeleton ripped out of his skin and his intestines dropped to the ground.

Piett yawned. "Human bones. Not a very good building material. Congrats. You just wasted 5 seconds of my life." he grumbled as he knocked the skull off the skeleton with his staff. it went rolling away into the darkness somewhere.

"Now, Spidersilk," he whispered as he moved into the forest. Where better to find them in great supply other than..."

His voice trailed off as a giant spider attacked him, only for its own legs to start to decay and to fall to the ground meters before Piett. "Stay there. Good whatever." Piett mumbled as he crushed its abdoman.

The Underhome is where the Khazad sealed themselves away from the Age of Ice. They emerged from it at the beginning of the Age of Rebirth and founded Khazad outside of it. And the explorers are just generic explorers. You will need to think of a clever way to get past this dark magic, though. I hope you'll catch the small tip I just threw your way.

OOC: Nope, the underhome is the underground nation of the dwarves... those on the surface, according to lore, left to settle the surface, yet still have a strong national identity with those underground.

However, I`de imagine those underground on`t see the ones on the surface as real dwarves.

edit: Xpost

OOC: Nope, the underhome is the underground nation of the dwarves... those on the surface, according to lore, left to settle the surface, yet still have a strong national identity with those underground.

However, I`de imagine those underground on`t see the ones on the surface as real dwarves.

You sure? I could've sworn the doors to the Underhome were still open.. Well, we'll just bend the lore a bit more for this.

RAGING FROSTLINGS

Frostlings under the command of Mokka have come charging out of the Illian lands and are devastating every village and farm they come across. They have pushed deep into Amurite territory, though no cities have been captured. The Amurites are rallying their defenses as quickly as they can, even forcing mages to temporarily participate in the defense. The Kahdi are watching this situation closely as they are next in the path of the Frostlings.​

"Right, so, this is it!
Our wonderous city is threatened.
WE MUST DESTROY THESE FROSTLINGS!"
A whistle blew. the professional archers lining against the walls.

"Krinith Resplan?"
"Yes"
"Hi. Urm, I'm sure you know how to use a longbow?"
Krinith gave the archer the kind of look that made you wish the floor would swallow you up.
"Yes, I am so just give me the damn thing and let's get this over with, shall we?" He said coldly. Mages, all they wanted was to live up in their towers and blow things up.

At the horizon, a bluish-white blur was spreading. The frostling were coming.
As they marched towards the wall, the professional archers drew their strings. Everybody else hastened to copy them.

As soon as the frostlings were in range, the arrows went flying. Krinith had an idea. It might possibly work. He reached into his mind, finding the magic. He let it collect, and shaped it, holding it until he could contain it no more. He released it, and commanded it with the command he needed.
"BRISINGR!" He shouted.

Everybody looked at him, and, almost in slow motion, there was a spark, then suddenly, flames, firiring down at the Frostlings. Krinith felt the flames drawing at his strength, and saw the frostlings run. The ones that got caught up in the firery arrow storm melted, leaving the fields around Cimrail stained a pale blue.

Everybody looked around, looking for the source of their victory. All eyes rested on Krinith. A messenger came running up.
"I am looking for the guy who came up with the firebow idea. Dain wants to see him."
"That'd be him, it were." Somebody said, pointing at Krinith.

--------------------

"Well, Krinith." Dain stared at the mage sitting down behind his desk. "I would like you to travel for me."
"Where to?"
"To all of our border cities. To teach the defenders. To create the Firebows."
"The what?"
"Firebows. Longbowmen trained in the arcane arts. Capable of burning down walls. So, will you?"
"Urm, okay."
"Oh, and if I were you," Dain leaned in and whispered in Krinith's ear "I'd keep this a secret from Valledia." And with that, Dain walked out of his room and into a side-chamber.

Amurite discovery of Firebows confirmed. Story index updated and Adopted Civ list updated to include lemonjelly.

WORLD UPDATE

ARROWS OF FIRE?

Rumors are spreading that the Amurites have found a way to launch arrows of fire at their enemies. Valledia dismisses the whole idea while Dain the Caswallawn has yet to comment on the rumors. Several nations are worried that the rumors may be true and that the Amurites may have discovered a powerful weapon.

INFERNAL UPRISING

Elohim, Austrin, and Lanun forces have been battling demons emerging from portals discovered on the Fane of Lessers. The Sheaim are not becoming involved and the Scions are just as passive, though fortifying their defenses. The demons, known as Infernals, are pushing the combined forces back and are slowly expanding towards the coast. If the Infernals reach the coast, they can spread to the mainland and this will be more than just an isolated problem.

VOTAKARA STABLE, RETURNS TO NATION

High Chief Votakara, who was discovered catatonic after the destruction of Bayamo, has recovered from his condition and returned to his nation. He has continued leading his forces from the front as he usually does. His advisers are watching him closely and he is taking regular medicinal treatments for a wound gained against the Cualli in which a powerful poison was introduced to his system.

DURAL PROVE THEIR METTLE

The Dural, who were attacked by the Balseraphs during one of Perpentach's strange phases, have proven their mettle in battle against them and are continuing to do so every day. They have pushed the Balseraphs back considerably, and while unable to actually stem the tide of Balseraph warriors entering their lands, they are successfully defending their cities.

STRANGE LAND DISCOVERED

Explorers near the Amurite land have reported seeing a strange dead land between the Amurite and Cualli nations. None have gone exploring into the "wastes" but several nations are concerned that this may be linked to the Infernals and the continuing volcanic explosions.

CALABIM ATTACK CUALLI

The Calabim, long silent in the main picture of Mazera, has declared war on the Cualli lizards. Finding them weak due to slave uprisings, the Calabim have captured several lizards and have enslaved them in their breeding pits. The Calabim have pushed deep into Cualli territory, as the Cualli are also focused on the Austrin and Mazatl.

MALAKIM NEGOTIATE PEACE

The war between the Sidar and the Malakim is now over. Varn Gosam met with Sandalphon, leader of the Sidar, and negotiated peace. The Malakim have agreed to move their nation and sacrifice their former land to the Sidar. The Sidar have since taken control of former Malakim lands as the Malakim moved north, now east of the Svartalfar and south of the Amurites.

ACHERON

Lanun explorers that have landed on Rinwell Isle reported seeing a large red dragon in the center of a large city manned by Orcs. Dural researchers report that this is the ancient dragon known as Acheron, though not as powerful as he once was. This makes Rinwell Isle much more dangerous if Acheron decides to take flight to the mainland.​

Map updated. Malakim move, Sidar gain land, Austrin under Votakara gain land due to the return of their leader, the Calabim gain Cualli land, the Ngomele gain land, the Infernal gain lots of land, and the Dural gain some Balseraph land.

Top Bottom