Mazera Mega Story Thread

Mak'ta was playing with a rat. It was boring on the Clan's northern guardposts ... most goblins seeking to prey on other civilizations. The curious goblin-scout was cutting up a rat, separating its skin from its muscle, and eating the tasty organs. Then it heard the thunder. He immediately thought stampede, but wondered what it could be ...

He peered over the wall, and saw a sea of horses, the size of two cities. He was about to sound the horn when a Svartalphar assasin cut his throat.

The first town was only guarded by a light wooden palisade. In front of each Dendrinni shock group, rode a Nightmare-mounted hellrider. The hellrider would crash through the wall, or gate, as the horses would all follow through. The rest of the army kept riding on, crushing farms, huts, anything in their path.

Spoiler :
*Several hours before the invasion the Svartalphar agents ambushed the forward patrols, and Makt'a was located in a hut just inside the outer perimeter, which had already been breached less than an hour before. He was probably the last of the northern guard on the Svart/Wildland border to be ambushed by the Svartalphar. Some sectors of the perimeter however were alerted, and are currently doing their best to fend off the Archos (the ones originally sent towards the hippus). They are calling for reinforcements, while Ishfar Khafann has to decide where to best use his regiments.

During this time, the Hippus nation had sent a rather large trained eagle with a package for Warlord Ishfar Khafann. The package included the heads of his diplomats sent to Rhoanna (who never arrived)

Spoiler :
*** part of the Svarts payment for peace was also in payment for this new war.

I'm just checking, but are the Hippus, Svartalfar, and Archos at war again? I could've sworn that war just got resolved in favor of a Hippus/Clan war. Either way, you will find Ishlar Kafahn to be a worthy foe! :p

Also, an advance in technology. I was a bit down on gunpowder a while ago, but I decided what's going to be done with it. Bombs, like barrels filled with gun powder which are then set on fire, or small pouches of gunpowder can be used as grenades, but no guns or cannons will be developed. I may change my mind on the cannons in the future, but guns are definitely out. The Luchuirp are the only nation at the moment that has the knowledge to use gunpowder so you'll have to negotiate with them for the knowledge.

ARCHOS NEGOTIATE PEACE

With a war looming for the Clan of Chaos and Corane turning his attention to other projects, the Clan of Chaos and Archos have negotiated peace with eachother. This allows the Clan to focus on the rumored Hippus attack. The Archos have sent emissaries to the Ngomele to offer peace.

VOTAKARA'S SON LEADS ARMY

Harland, High Chief Votakara's son, has taken up command of the reinforcements being sent to the Fane of Lessers. His men are located in Deirdra's land, which cuts a great deal of their journey out. The forces on the Fane of Lessers have been sending fewer and fewer updates as the days pass. The last message spoke of a large red demon carrying an axe soaked with blood. Votakara has recruited Bannor crusaders and Elohim monks to combat the Infernals and send them back to Hell.​

Open letter from: Warchief Corane of the Archos
To: Mvadang of the Ngomele

Greetings,

I am sure you are aware of who I am, as our nations have been at war for some time now. I am sure this war is becoming dull and is very much a grind for you. We are offering you peace as we have other things we wish to attend to and we have deemed your species, the Gnolls, worthy of existence. Please, respond as soon as you can as I wish to have this war finally end.

Sincerely,
Warchief Corane

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open letter from: Warlord Ishlar Kafahn of the Clan of Chaos
To: Rhoanna of the Hippus

Rhoanna,

Long have I considered you an ally. I do not want a war to begin between us as I believe our nations could benefit greatly through mutual trade. I have received your "gift" and it saddens me greatly. If these atrocities do not come to an end, I will have to defend my nation from you. Please, reconsider your plans and do not let a rift open between us.

Sincerely,
Warlord Ishlar Kafahn

Calabim coup and religion change
The gathered council of Calabim nobles were set up by the ambitious Lord Ilyth, and his demonic allies have decapitated all the other noble houses of the Calabim lands, bringing the entire land under the House of Ilyth. The lands are now ruled with hard hand and the help of mighty demons, and Lord Ilyth himself has declared that the official religion of the Calabim lands is now The Ashen Veil.

Although most of the greater vampires of the Calabim have been killed, those from the House of Ilyth remain, and many of them have grown stronger. Flauros himself is now captive of the new ruler and despot, Lord Ilyth, and his recently surfaced madness has intensified.

The Calabim are suspected to have sent emissaries to the Sheaim to suggest an alliance, and the Cualli are losing ground in their war against Calabim as the Calabim forces are supported by demons that seem to ignore the poisons of the Cualli.

Open letter from: Miquiztli of the Cualli
To: Lord Ilyth of the Calabim

Greetings,

I'm writing this to humbly ask that this war end. Our two nations both thrive on slavery and we could both benefit from a slave market built between our nations. If we become allies, all past transgressions shall be forgotten. Since we know that you will not just accept this, we are willing to offer half of our treasury to your coffers in exchange for the end of the war and an attempt at peaceful trade between our nations. We could both benefit from a slave market. It could stretch from the Calabim nation all the way to the Svartalfar if you accept these terms! We could become rich and get more slaves than ever imagined. Please consider my offer.

Sincerely,
Miquiztli

I had thought that part of the Cualli war against former allies and what not was due to the understanding that it's previous foes wouldn't allow it to exist otherwise. That fighting former friends was the price of survival from the Austrin/Kuriotate/Mazatl alliance.

Well, that's how I would have framed the cease fires, at least.

I had thought that part of the Cualli war against former allies and what not was due to the understanding that it's previous foes wouldn't allow it to exist otherwise. That fighting former friends was the price of survival from the Austrin/Kuriotate/Mazatl alliance.

Well, that's how I would have framed the cease fires, at least.

No. The Cualli declared war on the Sheaim after the Legion of D'Tesh ransacked a ton of villages and made it look as if the Sheaim had done it. Miquiztli worked out his peace negotiations in some stories I wrote, but have neglected to post.

No. The Cualli declared war on the Sheaim after the Legion of D'Tesh ransacked a ton of villages and made it look as if the Sheaim had done it. Miquiztli worked out his peace negotiations in some stories I wrote, but have neglected to post.

I remember that, but on seeing the forces of Good (coughcough) stop when a long and dangerous foe was desperately losing and could have been finished once and for all, it kind of surprised me. The basis for doing so I thought of was that the Cualli would be allowed to survive only if they kept fighting evil. Sort of a redemption peace.

Well, never mind then.

Greetings,

I'm writing this to humbly ask that this war end. Our two nations both thrive on slavery and we could both benefit from a slave market built between our nations. If we become allies, all past transgressions shall be forgotten. Since we know that you will not just accept this, we are willing to offer half of our treasury to your coffers in exchange for the end of the war and an attempt at peaceful trade between our nations. We could both benefit from a slave market. It could stretch from the Calabim nation all the way to the Svartalfar if you accept these terms! We could become rich and get more slaves than ever imagined. Please consider my offer.

Sincerely,
Miquiztli

Open Letter from: Lord Ilyth of the Calabim
To: Miquiztli of the Cualli

Your offer is not generous enough to satisfy the Calabim. We both know who is winning the war. Think not of the Calabim as merciless, as we provide you with this alternative to total annihilation:

The Cualli will vassalize themselves to the Calabim, under the following restrictions:
-The Cualli allow the Calabim and their allies full mobility within Cualli borders,
-The Cualli will support the Calabim and their allies in war and follow any declaration of war made by the Calabim,
-The Cualli will provide the Calabim and their allies with rare ressources found within Cualli lands, should this be demanded.
-The Cualli will declare their state religion the Ashen Veil and will work to spread the Faith in their lands.

Upon the agreement, the Cualli must tribute to the Calabim half of their treasury, as well as five thousand adult inhabitants as slaves. In return, the Calabim and their allies will stop the attacks on the Cualli immidiately, refrain from burning down the cities of the Cualli, and protect the Cualli, should any other nation attack them.

I hope you consider this generous offer well, Miquiztli. Remember that your responsability as a ruler is for all the inhabitants in your lands. If your answer to this generous offer is a nay, then we have no more to discuss, and will meet on the field of battle.

Sincerest,
Lord Ilyth of the Calabim.

There were perhaps three lizard-men currently in the entire Ordine Medicos. One was stationed in the Mazatl capital, caring for war veterans and more common maladies that plagued the general populace. One worked in the swamps of the Yokaido front, working through the marshlands and caring for the few and largely forgotten soldiers who fought therein. And the third was a new student at the Ordine academy in Midgar.

The lizard-man who sat before Miquiztli was none of them. He had no discernible ties to the Ordine Medicos at all, not even by their own records. Whether he had ever even set foot inside the Grigori borders were also questionable. Just who he worked for and what their intentions were was also a mystery. All he had ever said was that he came on behalf of people interested in the Cualli's continued independence, and the only connection he claimed with the Ordine was the ability to trade in their secrets and materials.

"Having summoned me back, your lordship, I assume you have thought about my patron's offer? I understand the Calabim have rejected your supplications for peace out of hand," said 'Caqui', such an obviously fake name.

Miquiztli narrowed his eyes at the ease with which the lizard-man infront of him addressed him. But he held any anger at the disrespect.

"What proof have you that you can deliver what you claim?" asked Miquiztli, not bothering to deny the other's question.

Caqui seemed to brighten somewhat. "Oh, so you have considered! Good, good, I'm pleased to hear this. My patron will be very pleased to-"

"I don't give a spittle about what your patron desires. I want to know what he can deliver."

"Very well then," Caqui agreed. "This might be your first proof," he said, taking out a small vial of solution. "This is an Ordine spider-antidote salve. It's carefully made to neutralize nearly all the most common spider poisons of the West. It's only recently been made, this vial coming from the first batch, which my Patron had agents capable of diverting and being reported as lost. The Ordine has hopes to mass produce this potion and to distribute them across the west. If, when, they do, I suspect the Archos tyranny will be in for quite a surprise."

"So you have an antidote to something that does not concern or threaten us," Miquiztli said. "Spiders are not my concern. What do you claim to be able to deliver to help us avoid submission?"

"My patron can offer instructions on battlefield medicines, to help your people recover and fight on against the Calabim invaders. He can offer swamp remedies and techniques so that, when the Calabim march into your swamps and marshes, none of the threats therein will harm you, and the natural defenses shall entirely face the invader. Just as the Sheaim came to grief in the marshes of your hated compliment, the Mazatl, so too will the Calabaim learn to fear and hate the marshes you call your own. Even vampires will fear the sound of the marshland."

"Not enough," ruled Miquiztli. "We already know the marshes, and what you offer is mere accessories to what we already have. If that is all you came to offer, then-"

Caqui leaned forward, mouth beside Miquiztli's ear. He did not react or seem to care at the pressure of Miquiztli's poisoned dagger at his throat.

"The venom of a Midgarsomar serpent," Caqui whispered, and Miquiztli could not quite suppress a gasp of surprise and desire. "The poison of the Yokaido, so foul and strong that not even the Ordine Medicos can claim to negate it or save those struck with it even if they are called immediately. So vile and magical that even high priests despair at their chances to save someone from it. A venom so destructive, so powerful, even vampires or demons would be struck down in hours. This is the peak what my patron offers to you."

Caqui leaned back, pleased that his card had had such an affect. "Oh, there can be other benefits as well, if you wish to pursue them and pay a bit more. The Ordine have discovered a number of great and useful combinations in their studies. Sedative powders that, if scattered to the winds or coated against the vines they use to climb the swamps, could take the bloodlust and motivation of the attackers downwind. Painkillers that could let your fighters ignore wounds and fight as long as zombies but as fiercely as berserkers. There are so many things created in compassion and health that can be of benefit to you in war. A supply of these things are what my patron offers to procure for you for as long as the Calabim threaten you with destruction."

The possibilities rang through Miquiztli's mind, but so did well-earned paranoia and suspicion.

"He offers this, and just in exchange for our own knowledge of poisons? Why should he bother, if he has access to Yokaido venom in the first place? What would be his gain?"

"Not just for your knowledge," Caqui said. "My patron requires your independence as well; he has great interest in seeing you remain alive and the Calabim not triumphant. Consider that his greater desire."

"But then why the knowledge?" asked Miquiztli. "What would he have to gain when he has such a powerful venom already?"

Caqui considered how best to answer it while preserving his Patron's secrecy. "Well," he eventually said, "I suppose it's because the venom, while successful, is too successful, and too obvious as to who would be the culprit, no? Once or twice could be blamed on the Yokaido, but no one would ever believe the Grigori to be behind a number of assassinations that utilize Midgarsomar venom. That there is an alternative source of the venom would be apparent, and secrecy lost."

"No, my patron is searching for more... conventional poisons. Poisons that are still effective, still beyond the scope of the Ordine's ability to nullify. Your people are recognized experts in this regard. Even now, all but the best prepared and equipped Medicos can only stabilize and make marginal recoveries for the lives of your victims, and not reverse the worst effects. That makes your concoctions very interesting indeed, and my Patron desires to learn more."

Meant to do this awhile ago.

Grigori Opens Farmer Market

After many long seasons of Yokaido raids and dangerous conditions, the Grigori have had a bumper harvest of crops and animals that they are eager to sell.

Rather than let every farmer fend for himself, though, an increasing number of farmers have begun to gather under the oversight of the Grigori Farmer's Guild, started by the returning Grigori merchant Goodreau. By organizing who grows and what where under which prices, the Farmer's Guild has been quickly been able to enhance production and distribution, resulting in increased profits for the member farmers and decreased prices and expanded range of selection for the customers.

Cassiel has watched over the formation of the guild with some unease, wary of the risk of corruption and greed, but with proper oversight it appears to be good and fair, and will continue to be so long as honest men and women watch over them. Until issue is found, at least, Grigori cities and towns will enjoy the benefits of more food for the populace. Cassiel's vassal, Varn Gossam, has also displayed interest in a common guild market as well, for the purpose of building the Malakim population back up to size.

Open letter from: Mizquitli of the Cualli
To: "Caqui"

Caqui,

I appreciate your master's offer, but we cannot accept it at this time. We do not have enough soldiers to even stand up to the Calabim, much less use this poison. I am sorry, but I must decline.

Sincerely,
Mizquitli

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord Ilyth,

My nation is in a state where we have no choice but to accept your offer. We hereby vassalize ourselves under the Calabim. Our state religion has officially been changed to the Ashen Veil and you should receive our payment of gold with this letter. I hope our relationship lasts long.

Sincerely,
Miquiztli

Open letter from: Varn Gosam of the Malakim
To: Cassiel of the Grigori

Greetings,

We have noticed your recent creation of the farmer's guild. Our nation needs food due to our plight and we would like to request a branch of the farmer's guild take root in Malakim lands. I hope you will allow it, friend.

Sincerely,
Varn Gosam

Letter to: Sheaim and Legion of D'tesh leaders and generals

Greetings, esteemed Brothers in the Faith.

I would like to remind you that the Cualli lands and peoples are now under the protection of the Calabim forces and those of our allies. Furthermore, both Cualli and Calabim peoples are now ruled under The Right Faith.

I would deem it lucrative to both your nations as well as ours if we could end this little war between each others and focus on common enemies - perhaps the heathen Austrin, whose leader has yet to recover and as such is incapable of commanding their defenses?

With the greatest of Respects,
Lord Ilyth of the Calabim.

Spoiler A Giant Obstacle I :
Deledien shifted uneasily, hiding on an uncomfortable roof of one of the Jotnar huts, directly across the street from the palace. She could often see the figures of the giants inside move around, and had learnt to identify them. She was lying underneath a dark cloak that concealed her entire body as well as her inventory next to her.

It consisted of roughly fifteen arrows, a strung masterwork longbow and several prominent poisons on vials or small flasks. Some for ingesting, some for poisoning the arrows. As of yet, she did not take any action. But if any of the three giants - especially the good-hearted female - looked like they were about to unite the giants, she had the means and the order to strike. Until then, she would wait. She had plenty of food and drink as well, and she was especially trained for missions like this. She would be able to stay here for weeks without revealing her presence to anyone.

She sighed silently and hoped that something dramatical would happen soon. Her fingers played absent-mindedly with the scars where Lord Ilyth had bit her.

I'd been hoping to finish the Yokaido War by now, and events are passing me until I can wrap it up this weekend, but until then...
Open letter from: Varn Gosam of the Malakim
To: Cassiel of the Grigori

Greetings,

We have noticed your recent creation of the farmer's guild. Our nation needs food due to our plight and we would like to request a branch of the farmer's guild take root in Malakim lands. I hope you will allow it, friend.

Sincerely,
Varn Gosam
To: Varn Gosam, Lord of Malakim Province

Greetings, my Brother in Arms.

Gladly, my loyal friend. The Grigori would be glad to spread the Farmer's Guild to your lands. The Grigori are among the most sincere in believing that honest labor such as farming should benefit not only the farmer himself, but can also benefit his fellow men most of all. We would be glad to help establish a branch in your lands as well, and even more pleased if you would consider entering into a common farmer's market with us, so that this union can be further maximized.

I have instructed my head merchant Goodreau to leave for your lands very soon, so that he might oversee the expansion of the guild. I ask also that you meet him personally at your soonest convenience after he arrives, for he also bears thoughts and plans I wish to share with you, plans of a similar line of collaboration equally related in helping the rebuilding of your civilization. One is for a significant expansion of the Ordine Medicos as they currently are: the other is something I wish to be more private about. He will know of what I refer.

My head ministers of late have also been eager to deepen our mutual bonds: they too may have letters and messages for you as well. I ask that you considers these in good faith as well, but alert me if they make any alarming demands or insinuations of which I was not aware.

With best of regards,

Cassiel
Head Consul of the Grigori Empire

////

Ordine Medicos to be Expanded

After the trials and tribulations of delivering aid for Votakara's malady, Cassiel has announced his intention to expand the Ordine Medicos. Though already a significant Order as it stands, recent events have highlighted how sparse and vulnerable they can be.

To prevent such cases as a shortage of healers in the future, Cassiel, Head of the Ordine Medicos, has announced he intends to negotiate with the leaders of nations with the hopes of establishing Medicos Embassies on their lands. These outposts, neutral citadels in effect, would house regional-based command centers for the Ordine, suited to handle all their major administrative, financial, and medical-preparation needs, giving regional centers from which area clinics could be managed, stocked, and run. This is in hopes that the Ordine can better service the needs of people across the continent, without teams being rushed across the continent for emergencies.

The Medicos Embassies would serve not only as administrative centers and places for the sick to be treated, but also as schools and labs for which medicinal research and teachings could be shared. Nations accepting an Embassy in their land would be invited to share in all but the most sensitive and dangerous of Grigori medical advances, and in instruction of how to utilize them.

As of date, the only requirements the Medicos put on their stationing is the promise of safe passage and protection through the lands. Though this has to date limited the number of countries in which the Ordine could travel, Cassiel has stated that the Ordine will not choose to support one side or another in any conflict: any country which asks for and agrees to host the Medicos can share in the benefit.

Already messengers have left for all the powers of Mazera, even those that the Grigori does not yet have good relations with. Those countries nearest to the Grigori know they have time, though: no major expansion can be done until the current Medicos stock is free from the Yokaido front. Countries have at least until the end of the war to negotiate and reach agreements with the Ordine before anything but preparation can be done.

While Taranis rampages through Elohim, Bannor, Grigori, Yokaido, and Svartalfar lands on a course for Illian territory (at least, that is what it loooks like on the map, if Dean wants to do something with this, possibly alter the course, that's fine, as long as he gets to the Illian empire "safely"), I'm going to be writing about an Illian fur trader, based on the resources list I was given.

Spoiler Cold Merchant I :

Maaerun the merchant entered the audience chamber of Auric Ulvin. He bowed before the god-king, who rose and began to speak.

"You are considered to be one of the better merchants in service to the Illians," stated Auric, and Maaerun, who normally would try to downplay his own skills, did not. Auric Ulvin had spoke it, and so it was so. What fool would question him? Auric continued, "It has come to my attention that this empire has a horribly mismanaged economy. I have been too busy supporting our military, arcane, and divine forces that I turned no attention to an economy." Maaerun privately reflected that this was probably because among the Gods, they needed to build no economy. At their words, thousands of warriors could join the fray and fight on the orders of their creator.

"For instance, your fur smuggling trade with the Amurites is proof of your superior economic abilities," Auric said cooly, and Maaerun went paler then most Illians usually are. Auric smiled slightly. "That's fine- as long as you pay the taxes on that trade I won't mind. It depletes the Amurite treasury and enrichens our empty one." Maaerun frowned.

"What taxes? You issue no taxes on smuggled trade," he replied. Auric gave him what could only be called a Look.

"Not yet. Anyway, you will take a group of merchants and travel through the Doviello and Hippus empires until you reach the coast, trading on the way and back. Then you will return, and another such assignment will be issued. Not only will you make money for the Illians... but you will act as an undercover agent," ordered the god-king. Maaerun now was interested. An expedition like that would bring plenty of wealth. One thing concerned him.

"What sorts of guards will I be issued?" asked Maaerun. "The Luchuirp and others lie in our path." Auric laughed.

"You are free to hire Doviello, Illian, or Hippus warriors to guard you, but no force would be assigned by me. That would be an "official" expedition- this is an "unofficial" expedition. Do you understand?" Maaerun nodded that he did. "You may go." Maaerun headed out of the chamber, planning the journey. Every merchant hoped for a break like this... to become a "Great Merchant". This was his chance.

I have no problem in theory. I'll follow the belief that he can be diverted and pushed back, if never destroyed. Throw enough bodies and he'll move laterally, at least.

Which end of Illian territory is the Lettimus outside of, though? If on the west, it might never touch me, or only go on the western edge. If on east, it would go right through the capital area. Kind of makes a difference, you understand.

I'd say it would be in the west, based on what I remember from Age of Ice. So it will only go through the western edge of the Grigori Empire.

Top Bottom