MilarNES II: Civilizations of the World

It was like any other quiet night in Athena. As usual, all but the Watch torches that surrounded the city's* perimiter had been put out in Homage of the Goddess Athenapollae, whom dragged the sun on her shoulders across the mortal sky each and every day.** The moon loomed large, full, silver, blocking out all but the most powerful of the Night-Gods as they shone down from the Heavens.

Quiet shadows coalesced in the near-darkness between the hovels. Whispers were murmured back and forth, barely at audible levels. Crickets and insects chirped endlessly in the chill night air. One of the shadows spoke above the others:

"Men, I've called you here to discuss this King Priam.. He's the Royal family's pushover. All he's ever done is Wall Athena and walk about smiling and waving to Crimeans. My sources tell me the main Attican army is in some far-off area in the north occupying some city, so we've got a chance to.."

But before the shadow could finish, a roped and leashed dog ran wildly down the alley and latched it's jaws deep in his leg. The shadow let out a barely suppressed yell, but the others weren't so smart.. they started shouting profanities at the dog, waking up the entire neighborhood and attracting the city militia. Within a minute, 20 men in various furs and hides armed with stone dagger, spear or club were advancing down either side of the alley.

Normally, they wouldn't attack screaming civilians, but it Was forbidden to go out on the night of Demarta's rebirth.. so attack they did. The shadows were felled quickly and dragged inside, before the moon would disappear in a few minutes, as it -supposedly- was supposed to tonight.. Those crazy sky-watchers said it would happen. And it did.

The moon disappeared behind the shadow of the earth and the stars shone brighter than ever before, though the Atticans took it as Demarta's Boars devouring it almost entirely.

Conspirators slain viciously in the night, for reasons completely unrelated to their Conspirator-hood. HOW IRONIC.

*Indeed, if one could even call it a city; it was more a vast, sprawling collection of hovels and hide tents surrounding a central early stone fortress-type-structe atop a great hill.

**As many fires as possible were put out at night to give Athenapollae rest in this part of the world when she was toiling elsewhere.

Africa
In Africa, nations expand towards the south at top haste, now that all the northern coast has been totally occupied by the people of the four countries in there. Berberia and Eskimogypt are the ones who have the most chance to do so, as the first has more coast to expand to, and the latter can expand along the Red Sea and use the Nile River as a place to settle down more people than in the desert in which the other nations are forced to expand into. The expansion of religions all through the nations is furthered as the people start to believe that, to ease the dead ones' transition into wherever people go after their deaths, they need to have them go through a series of rituals that will make sure they will have the best afterlife.

Berberia: expands, discovers Stone Mining, +2% Imshal
Carania: expands, discovers Ceremonial Burial (+5% Molok), investigates Writing (3/10), finishes Stables (+1 EC, +1 Culture/turn), +6% Molok
Eskimogypt: expands, discovers Ceremonial Burial (+5% Trianglism), investigates Wheel (1/5), finishes Holy Obelisks of Trianglism (+1 Culture/turn, +1% Trianglism/turn), +2% Trianglism, starts trade with Tripolitania
Tripolitania: expands, investigates Mysticism (6/10), +1% Elemental Spirits

America
In America, things are getting quite interesting for several nations. For example, the nations of Ciboney and Taino have started to plan for an eventual union, based on the fact that both nations are very similar and follow the same religion. Meanwhile, Maya and Taino run towards the south in order to take as much land as possible, with Taino taking the Caribbean coast and Maya the Pacific coast. Trade continues to expand all through the continent with nations exchanging products that are becoming very important to their economies, with Maya, for example, exporting corn while Taino sells woods and the Azteca many small rock statues that are bought by the richest people. Wanalu finally breaks their isolation as they meet the Ciboney in the east of South America. Also, the Kingdom of Utul manages to finish their new war when they finally wipe out the remaining Prisman forces (see Utul-Prisma War) and start to make plans to rebuild the newly conquered regions.

Azteca: chills (+1 Strike, money banked), +3% Quetzalcoatl, allies with Maya, starts trade with Tototl
Ciboney: expands, investigates Wheel, starts Union of the Animist (Ciboney and Taino join into 1 nation) (3/20), +2% Animism, meets Wanalu
Kingdom of Utul: expands, discovers Agriculture and Stone Mining, continues war with Nation of Prisma, +6% Utulian Pantheon
Maya: expands, discovers Wheel, investigates Calendar (1/10), works on Noh Ishim Qaash (7/24), +11% Mayan Polytheism, allies with Azteca, starts trade with Tototl
Nation of Prisma: chills (+1 Strike, money banked), continues war with Kingdom of Utul, +6% Cannabism
Taino: expands, scraps Sage's House, starts Union of the Animist (Ciboney and Taino join into 1 nation) (4/20), +2% Animism
Tototl: expands, discovers Ceremonial Burial, +5% Xolapan, starts trade with Azteca and Maya
Wanalu: expands, discovers Animal Husbandry, starts Roads of the Wanalu Lands (1/8) (+1 EC), +6% Jaguapi, meets Ciboney

Asia
Every nation in the world finally knows each other. The Feicui Empire, which had remained isolated for more than three centuries, has managed, in their expansion towards the north, to find two other nations that may prevent them to continue their expansion in that direction. Abalonia becomes unique in the whole world, as their knowledge of the world dramatically expands and what will be called in the nation “Bronze Age” becomes a very important matter. This change gives them an important advantage against every other nation. Meanwhile, the three Middle-Eastern nations fortify their friendship through the opening of trading relationships among each other (and they also meet other nation in the Anatolia region), and Khambat suffers a break-up when a group of settlers become independent from their motherland and turn into a new nation called Sedlan. Khambat, despite the loss this supposes, rapidly accepts their independence and strikes a deal that now ties Sedlan economically to Khambat, if not politically. Also, the Holy Arcadian Empire will have it easier to trade with their mainland counterparts, as they reach the mainland from their northernmost possessions.

Abalonia: expands, discovers Pottery (+1 TF, bonus expansion), advances into Bronze Age, + 2% The Holy Cow, meets Feicui Empire
Empire: expands, investigates Chariotry (5/10), finishes Holy Temple of Hestath (+1% Ancestor Worship/turn, +1 Culture/turn), +4% Ancestor Worship, starts trade with Iudea and Mitanni
Feicui Empire: expands, starts Jade Mines (+1 EC) (3/8), +4% Yu Qiong, meets Abalonia and Ming
Holy Arcadian Empire: expands, discovers Wheel, +4% Christianity
Iudea: expands, investigates Archery (5/10), finishes Wandering Traders Level 1 (+1 EC), +3% The Eye That All Sees, starts trade with Empire and Mitanni, meets Attica
Khambat: expands, investigates Sailing (5/10), +8% Khambian, Sedlan separates, starts trade with Ming and Sedlan
Ming: expands, discovers Ceremonial Burial and Stone Mining (+5% The Path), +3% The Path, meets Feicui Empire
Mitanni: expands, discovers Fishing and Stone Mining, +2% Cavalloism, starts trade with Iudea and Empire, meets Attica
Yang: expands, discovers Stone Mining, investigates Bronze Melting, +3% Blak'n'vuait, starts trade with Yazidi Order
Yazidi Order: expands, chills (+1 Strike, money banked), +5% Yazida

Europe
The end of war finally reaches Iberia and Southern Gaul with Arago and the Maternite faction of Marsi triumphing over their enemies (see Iberia War and Marsian Civil War). Attica, in the middle of their war against Sessentia, have also started to build a gigantic port in the Hellespont region in order to help ships find a secure place from potential pirate raids and to build better ships than the ones built before in their nation. Attica is also the first nation in Europe that meets a nation from other continent, in fact two nations, those of Iudea and Mitanni in the Anatolian region. They hardly know each other, but many in Attica hope that they will not bring more death than what Sessentia has brought them already.

Arago: expands, investigates Fishing (2/5), continues war with Nation of Aruhn, +5% Akabarala
Attica: expands, discovers Wheel, starts Port of Hellespont (+2 EC, +2 Navy Quality) (1/40), continues war with Sessentia, +3% Attian Polytheism, meets Iudea and Mitanni
Maternite Marsi: expands, investigates Fire (4/5), continues war with Paternite Marsi, +3% Marsian Tricotheism
Nation of Aruhn: chills (money banked, nation goes NPC), continues war with Arago, +4% Ytrism
Paternite Marsi: expands, investigates Bartering (3/5), continues war with Maternite Marsi, +5% Marsian Tricotheism
Sessentia: expands, continues war with Attica, +3% Lathanism

Special Events
Eastern War
In Eastern Europe, the war continues to make itself known with Attica making themselves quite more prominent in the scene than Sessentia, with their military superiority quite clear. Sessentia has given up recovering their capital for the time being, but this may prove to be their biggest mistake, as their ability to pay their soldiers and such becomes far more difficult with their movement towards the west and the north, as they try to avoid the Attican armies. While these, in general, have little problem in conquering more land, a few soldiers that had been sent upriver along the Danube were killed in a skirmish with the Sessentian armies. If Attica wishes to win this war, they'll have to put up everything towards the total defeat of their enemies.

Attica: -1 Slinger, -1 Warrior
Sessentia: -2 Slingers, loses 1 EC due to Occupation

Iberia War
This is the end of the Nation of Aruhn. Such a huge lack of orders from the leaders of the nation have finally changed everything in the zone. The fall of Mraatoer to advancing Arago armies signals the end of a war that has killed many people in the more than 200 years it has lasted, with many more people having to move to other zones in order to survive their own nation's enemies. The famed Nossair cavalry could hardly do much in the face of innumerable enemy troops that surrounded them continuously and were forced to surrender in droves, so that their beloved Sveloni horses do not die. They are even being offered to join the Army as a special unit, much like they did in the old times of Aruhn, an offer that has been accepted.

So far, the invaders are letting people follow their local customs and religion, but that may change soon when the Arago leadership determines what should be done to prevent the expansion of the Aruhnese religion.

Arago: -2 Slingers, -3 Warriors, +7 Treasury, +3 EC, +Secondary Capital (Mraatoer), +UU (Sveloni Riders), +Animal Husbandry, +Fire (+1 EC)
Nation of Aruhn: -Existence

Marsian Civil War
The Marsian Civil War reaches an end with the final push of the Maternite Army into the Paternite's remaining territory. The few soldiers that were still alive decided to surrender and accept an offer to join the Maternite Army, although they aren't allowed to hold high positions for fear of the rebellion happening again. In the celebrations in Marsi following the victory and the triumphal parade, the King announced that, from then on, the nation would be called “United and Indivisible Kingdom of Marsi” to great acclaim of the population, which had been wishing for the reunification of the two faced nations for years.

Maternite Marsi: +3 EC, +1 Marsian War Band, +1 Slinger, +Secondary Capital (Milano)
Paternite Marsi: -Existence

Utul-Prisma War
This is the third war in these few years that finally ends. The Prisman people, having being left to drift alone due to the abandon they had suffered from their leaders and finally the fall of Grebb, have pushed them into accepting the Utulian King as their new sovereign, with several of them hoping that with him things will go smoother than under those that ruled behind the throne before the war started. Only the most fanatic people and soldiers resisted this, and they were soon eliminated by the advancing Utulian army, which wiped out all the resistance before they could organise into something that could become a nuisance for them. After all of this happened, the Kingdom of Utul started to restore the damage caused during the war through an ambitious planning that will change the face of the Prisman region and transform it into other Utulian region, although with the clear differences of customs and religions that are still part of Prisman life. Only time will tell whether this goes forward or not.

Kingdom of Utul: +4 EC, +2 Treasury, +Secondary Capital (Grebb), +Wheel
Nation of Prisma: -Existence

THE END

@Everyone in a war: the disappearance of the nations that lost in wars were a consequence of those wars, so, while what the stats up there stated that they were expanding or something like it, in the end the war stats actually state their disappearance. You may have also noticed that you are getting the enemies' capitals as secondary capitals. This will help you a lot in the future.
@D'Artagnan59: in the end there weren't enough nations getting Ceremonial Burial to give it to you through the 3/4s rule (currently 5, when you need 6), so I banked the money you had planned to use for the Reconstruction Program plus 1 EC from Wheel, which you managed to complete thanks to the 1 EC Prisma had already spent on it.
@artbell, Sylon: you were kicked out because you didn't send orders. You can still join the game again, though.
@Dannydehz: since you had stated that you were going to send orders, but didn't, you get a strike.
@Haseri: since you didn't specify which technology you wanted to spend your money, I have banked it.
@Everyone: do NOT spend money on expanding, please. Also, notice that Abalonia (NPC) has reached the Bronze Age, which means they have a slight bonus over the rest of you guys. Those of you who have 6 technologies, strive to get a Bronze Age tech before someone else does. (And yeah, I'm looking at you, Arian).

Tech Chart:
Africa (3): Agriculture (1), Ceremonial Burial (3), Hunting (2), Stone Mining (2)
America (6): Agriculture (3), Animal Husbandry (3), Ceremonial Burial (5), Hunting (2), Stone Mining (3), Wheel (4)
Asia (8): Agriculture (7), Animal Husbandry (8), Ceremonial Burial (5), Fishing (8), Hunting (3), Stone Mining (6), Wheel (4)
Europe (3): Agriculture (3), Animal Husbandry (2), Bartering (2), Ceremonial Burial (2), Fire (3), Fishing (1), Hunting (1), Stone Mining (1), Wheel (2)

This turn: Attica gets Agriculture, Berberia gets Ceremonial Burial (+5% Imshal), Feicui Empire gets Animal Husbandry, Holy Arcadian Empire gets Animal Husbandry, Iudea gets Fishing, Ming gets Fishing, UIKM gets Fire, Yazidi Order gets Animal Husbandry.

Will update stats as soon as possible.

Next Update's deadline is next Sunday 13th September at 6 PM CET.

Maps (for some reason I can't attach them):
Spoiler WORLD MAP :

Spoiler REGIONAL MAPS :

OK, stats have been updated. Those who have just come out of a war will notice that their religion numbers are very much different than what they used to be. The reason is that, with the acceptance of the new territories, your nation's surface (and population) has been expanded, and thus the relative percentages to the old population are different from the relative percentages to the new population.

Shouldn't my nation have 6 EC? Also at the end of the update you said that UIKM gets Fire, but in the stats it is still shown as being researched. Finally, the name is still listed as Maternite Marsi...it should be United and Indivisible Kingdom of Marsi.
Otherwise, the update was pretty good.

To: Attica

"We have heard a great many terrible rumors of wars in the west.. Are they true? We wouldn't want them to spread here, but otherwise, we would gladly welcome peace and trade with your people."

To: Empire

Dear friend. How are you? We are well. Thank you for asking.
We were just wondering, as your valued ally, since you have the endless east to expand into, if you could refrain from expanding much farther into the Arabian Peninsula. That is, alas, the only room we ourselves are afforded to expand into at this time. It would be greatly appreciated, and we will gladly pay you for your time. 100 baskets of our new "Fish" commodity!

OOC: Yes, it was a very good update, Milarqui!:)

I have a question. Or two.

Do I have to actively tell you in orders that I want to increase trade between my country and country X? Or is it automatic?

And, should I add the EC from trade to my 7 "usual" income? So that I have 10 EC to spend this turn?

Dear friend. How are you? We are well. Thank you for asking.
We were just wondering, as your valued ally, since you have the endless east to expand into, if you could refrain from expanding much farther into the Arabian Peninsula. That is, alas, the only room we ourselves are afforded to expand into at this time. It would be greatly appreciated, and we will gladly pay you for your time. 100 baskets of our new "Fish" commodity!

OOC: Yes, it was a very good update, Milarqui!:)

I have a question. Or two.

Do I have to actively tell you in orders that I want to increase trade between my country and country X? Or is it automatic?

And, should I add the EC from trade to my 7 "usual" income? So that I have 10 EC to spend this turn?

To: Iudea

Your proposition holds much interest for us. We are willing to leave you most of the Arabian Peninsula to you, as long as the Gulf of Hestath (Persian Gulf) remains totally on our hands. Perhaps we should meet in order to decide where will the limits be for our future borders.

OOC:
Question 1: Trade raises automatically. It has 5 levels, each level adding 1 EC to the value of the trade route, and it takes 4 turns to raise a level.
Question 2: Yes, you have 7 EC as base and then you add 3 EC from trade, so you have 10 EC to spend. Unfortunately, most people seem to miss this and do not spend what corresponds to trade.

EDIT: Problems with UIKM mended.

Another question...why is my unkeep 2? I have a total of 9 troops (4 War Bands, 3 Slingers, 2 Warrior). Shouldn't the unkeep be 1?

Looking through the updates, it seems like all other empires throughout the world have expanded between there second and third update much more than I have.

Although, if you give me a rapid expansion like you gave other civs during their 4th turn, i'll gladly dismiss it. :) Also, since i met Ciboney, do i also meet Taino? Since they are forming an alliance?

OOC:
Good Update just couple of questions!

What happen to my trade routes with the Iudea and Empire as they are not in my stats?

About building wonders, will they build the same way projects (limited by Tire Factor and max Project Spending) or will you able use as much EC as you like into them with no limiting factors bar the amount EC you got?

IC:
To King of Attica
From The Raven Chieftain of Mitanni Confederacy

Greeting from the Confederacy to our newest neighbor, we wish peace with you. We will also like to trade with you but as we hear you currently at war and we don't want to viewed as take sides in a conflict that we know little to nothing about. So we like you resolve this conflict before we start trading with you.

To: Ciboney

It seems that we are closely related, we speak similar language and we look similar. We might have come from the same people a long past ago. Slightly different religion doesn't break brotherhood. Heck we even have the same events in our religions! (such as the great flood).

What do you say brother? Would you like to trade?

To: Kingdom of Iudea

We welcome peace and trade with the Iudeans. We have a surplus of grapes and olives just sitting around, and we're not quite sure what to do with them all... By the way, would you mind terribly if we colonized the island off your coast?

To: Chieftains of the Mittani Confederacy

Peace it is! We will try to resolve this conflict as quickly as possible, that our relations may improve through trading as well.

Here, we have re-arranged the border, hopefully to your liking..

Spoiler :

Island? We didn't even know there was an isl.. No, we don't mind at all. Think of it as an offering of friendship between our two peoples.

OOC: Milarqui, does my "7" income include the +1 from my wandering traders? Just for clarification.

Just making sure I understand TF.

Tire Factor: 1/5 (4)

(4) is what I can spend, yes?
Yeah. If you surpass 2 in the tire factor, you start to lose EC, and if you reach 5 (quite difficult) then you can't do projects for 5 turns

Here, we have re-arranged the border, hopefully to your liking..

Spoiler :

Island? We didn't even know there was an isl.. No, we don't mind at all. Think of it as an offering of friendship between our two peoples.

OOC: Milarqui, does my "7" income include the +1 from my wandering traders? Just for clarification.
We would have preferred some more coast, but as it is right now is perfect. (OOC: Just noticed that this kind of thing shouldn't be possible till we get Cartography, but...)

OOC: Yes, the 7 includes the +1 EC from the Wandering Traders.

We would have preferred some more coast, but as it is right now is perfect. (OOC: Just noticed that this kind of thing shouldn't be possible till we get Cartography, but...)

OOC:
I... Well.. Wait, our leaders met and pointed out landmarks in the desert! Yeah, that's it...

Top Bottom