Mazera Mega Story Thread

Outside of a forge in a remote Grigori farming village hangs a timeworn sign: "Boris and Sons Daughter." Inside, a man slowly reads a flier, mouthing the words, while his young daughter aimlessly scribbles little ideas and notes on a spare piece of paper.
"Oy, Alice, ya hear 'bout that contest what Cassiel be throwin'?" "Yes, pa, I have. I'm kinda doubtin' we'd be what he be lookin' for, though." "Don' be daft. Our equipment be the finest in all the lands! Ay, between yer ideas, an my skill with the ol' hammer, ain't we made this the finest lil' farmin' village in all the lands?"
And indeed they had. While studying a farmer at work, Alice had drawn up an idea for a plow that easily outperformed the traditional design, while simultaneously using less metal, making it cheaper and lighter. Only the relative isolation of their hamlet had kept it from spreading.
"I s'pose it's worth a try." Alice said, as she started gathering her notes. "I mean, we ain't a proper guild, but who knows? If we don' win, the attention we get might still get us some business." Boris nodded.
After some inquiry, they found a carriage was heading to Midgar for the very contest they sought to join, and that its owner was presently in the local bar.
Boris entered and asked, "who's the guy headin' to Midgar? Got room fer passengers? We can pay." A fat fellow in bright clothes looked up and said, "what for?" "To join the contest," said Alice. The fat man laughed. "Oh, a backwater blacksmith and his daughter... at least, I hope that's your daughter... planning to compete with the finest guilds in the Grigori nation? Consider the ride free! This I have got to see!" Boris said, "fair enough, fat man. Though I'll have you know we intend to win. So, what's yer story?" "Me? If I'm lucky, this is gonna be a circus! And I never miss a circus!"

Farming instruments and composite material allows... good for food production, good for building cities. Points on an application favored by Cassiel: better farms will also increase the benefits of the Farmer's Guild already in place, giving nice synergy.

Composite materials also have a whole raft of applications, both military and civilian. While lighter/stronger armors and weapons are obvious, the building applications could be great, allowing bigger and better buildings than ever before. Truly a chance to make great cultural displays.

Applauded by the Doves, approved by the Aggressives. Smiled upon by Cassiel himself.

A tough mark to beat. Not much commerce, I reckon, except for more food and crops, but very attractive to the Grigori culture.

Er, what did you intend to call your guild?

PLAGUE OVER

A scholar in the Kahdi lands discovered a magical cure to the plague. All traces of the plague have disappeared in every nation on Mazera. All victims sick with the plague have since recovered and borders have been reopened in several nations. THe Kahdi scholar said that if Onstad Hastil had not sent him that 100 gold, he'd have never been able to do the research. The plague is now over and is a fear of the past.​

A day short, a thousand gold over budget: Medicos announce plague-potion discovery

Discovered and announced in the final days of the plague before it's recession, the Ordine Medicos announces the development of a highly complicated potion, nearly impossible to create. Requiring life- and body-mana strengthened reagents, a concoction of Venenos drugs, and the secretions of a species of toad only found in the hell terrain of the Dead Lands and Fane of Lessers, the ingredients are almost impossible to bring together for want or cost, especially the toads.

The product of galleons-worth of gold and man hours, the Plague-Potion simply came too late to do any good. It wasn't even successful: it merely lowered the Plague fatality rates from 65% fatality without Medicos assistence (and 55% with) to 30%, far from a perfect fix. Far better than, say, a rampant pandemic, but the potion was so rare and expensive to make that it could never have been distributed to everyone anyway. Only a government elite could have afforded it to protect their own functioning.

The Ordine Medicos and Grigori, though disappointed at the waste, heartily congratulate the Khadi mage who found the cure for the uncurable. They are even willing to admit that, perhaps, Ostad can do some good as well, and that was a victory far more impressive than the vanquishing of the plague.

The Hippus declare war on the Illians! As the Hippus army mobilizes, King alexander sends a friendly letter to the Luchuirp to ask for an alliance, while sending a direct ultimatum to the hierarchy of the Wings of the Raven clan (who are thought to have the most power currently in Doviello land) to either stand with the Hippus or against them.

Farming instruments and composite material allows... good for food production, good for building cities. Points on an application favored by Cassiel: better farms will also increase the benefits of the Farmer's Guild already in place, giving nice synergy.

Composite materials also have a whole raft of applications, both military and civilian. While lighter/stronger armors and weapons are obvious, the building applications could be great, allowing bigger and better buildings than ever before. Truly a chance to make great cultural displays.

Applauded by the Doves, approved by the Aggressives. Smiled upon by Cassiel himself.

A tough mark to beat. Not much commerce, I reckon, except for more food and crops, but very attractive to the Grigori culture.

Er, what did you intend to call your guild?

"Why don't we just keep callin' it Boris and Daughter."
"Not very official, pa. Well, we come from Midiru. Has a nice ring to it. How's about... Midiru Designs?"
"Sounds official-like. Midiru Designs it is."

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Midgar: a letter, and a response.

Greetings, Ozziel. I'd heard you were in town, and through a brief chat with the local whores, I obtained your location. I'd just like to remind you about our little wager. As it turns out, my conjecture regarding the Council of Esus and the Chaos Wine trade was completely accurate. I believe that means you owe me 25 gold and that hat of yours. The one you won from that Confessor, with the stuffed vulture. You will deliver these, correct?
-Elder Methyl

Unfortunately, Elder Methyl, I have no intent of delivering either. As usual, you have nothing but conjecture regarding the Council. You have still failed to rigorously prove their very existence, let alone that this absurd story about the Chaos Wine trade. All you provided, as usual, was heresay, rumors, and talk about chills in the air and dimming torches. The former is probably your imagination, and any half-competent mage in fire or shadow magics, adepts the likes of which plenty of criminal organizations can employ, can dim a torch. Your continued insistence in this "Council of Esus" is, frankly as absurd as your conviction in the existence of a supposedly inactive and incorruptible over-god you call "the One."
-Ozziel

ONSTAD'S QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Thy arcane skills
Their laws that you invent
Those skilled could rule Mazera
And mastery in the gods gift
is power indeed." - Kylorin

Thanks to LJ for this one.

Spoiler Rite of Bondage :
Master Sergent Sigillum let the blade of the knife slit open the palm of his right hand. His face was emotionless, and Lord Ilyth admired the man's willpower as he was handed the knife himself. He quickly let the blade open a wound on the palm of his own right hand, and took the hand of the Moroi.

Sigillum chanted the ritual. Lord Ilyth felt a strange warmth emanating from the hand of the man as he ended the ritual with the words: "My Blood Is Yours, My Life in Your Hands Lie. I Heed only You."

Lord Ilyth nodded in approval. "Perfect. Master Sergent Sigillum, you can consider yourself the general of the regular Calabim army as well as our magical troops."

The Master Sergent bowed. "Thank you, Master."

Spoiler The actions of a madman, pt V :
Flauros stumbled into the small Grigori village. He looked around to find a well - he was extremely thirsty. He began to walk but was stopped by a cold metal gauntlet landing on his shoulder.

He turned around to stare into the eyes of a Serpentine Slayer. "Follow," the man said. Flauros looked at the man, clad in a decorated armour and with a mithril blade hanging by his waist, worringly near his hand. Flauros had no weapon or armour, and was completely exhausted. He followed the man into a small, neat house.

Inside, another Serpentine Slayer, also with his hands worringly close to the handle of the weapon in his belt, stood. As Flauros was taken past, he heard the man hiss: "You're lucky, Calabim. Had it not been for my orders, you'd be dead."

Flauros was taken into a room, where a beautfiul young woman sat behind a desk. "Sit," the Serpentine Slayer said, walking to stand next to the woman. She looked at Flauros. Her gaze was amazing; he knew immidiately that she was used to power, and had an iron will. His mind magic tricks would be of no use - and he was under her mercy. She was clearly the one in charge, even the soldiers obeyed her.

She handed him a bowl of water. "I am Mouar of the Grigori. You are Flauros, is that right?"

The Way Of The Wizard
Part I

Spoiler :

Leonan was lying in bed, fast asleep. All you could see of him was a dark purple mane of hair. His room was quite large, with Duskwood flooring. In the center of the room was a fountain of polished, carved Oak, bewitched to be waterproof. The water, which was an unusual shade of pure, pale blue, spilled out of the top and flowed down the sides of the fountain, where it flowed down a groove in the deep brown flooring, into a small crystal embedded into the floor. There it seemed to disappear, replaced by a strange humming sound that wafted out of the crystal.

Time moved on, seconds, minutes passing. The sun rose, light suddenly shining through the ornate, arched window. The sunlight glistened on the water's surface, setting the room ablaze with colour. The water seemed to absorb the light, and glistened softly, throwing faint rainbow patterns that danced around on the plain white walls. As the light hit Leonan's face, he stirred.

His eyes opened. They were the softest lilac colour, like the pure amethyst that the dwarves were so fond of. He pushed the sheets off himself, and strode across the room, to a place in the wall that looked exactly the same. As his hand touched this section of wall, it seemed to dissolve, and he stepped inside. Inside were his clothes. Ranging from the warm, knitted jumpers, to his formal robes, which were a deep, pure red with the golden crest of the Pegasorn family. He reached out and chose some plain Magenta robes, the robes of an Adept.

Part II

No time to write a story about this...

DRIFA LAUNCHED

In response to the declaration of war, Drifa the White Dragon has left the city of Garduk. She has been spotted flying towards Doviello lands, on a course for the Hippus army, which is even now moving through the Luchuirp lands, who have allowed passage but not yet endorsed an alliance with the Hippus army.

It is believed that this is in reposne to the ultimatum delivered by King Alexander to the ruling Doviello, asking for their support. It is probably not a coincidence that Drifa will reach Urslo at the end of the time Alexander has given the Doviello to decide. Auric seems to be warning the Doviello to either stand with him, or have the core of their empire burnt to the ground. The Doviello are still in a state of near anarchy, and the destruction of major cities would not be good for their empire, and would allow the Illian Priests of the White Hand in their lands to seize total control of what was left as the Doviello- just as the Hippus did previously.

In addition, the surviving Ice Golems from the army sent by Auric to strike at the Luchuirp, that was previously stationed in Doviello lands, has now mobilized. It should intercept the Hippus forces before they reach the Doviello Empire, but it is unlikely that they would be able to do anything more then delay and slightly weaken the Hippus.​

Plague-Potion Medicos Caravan Ambushed Outside Svartalfar

In a highly concerning act of banditry, a Medicos caravan on its way to the Catacomb Hospitalus of the Amurite lands has been raided. The attackers (or attacker) are unknown: mind magics were used to erase the memories of all in the Caravan, and shadow magics used to cover the tracks as the wagons and their cargo was stolen.

The Grigori and Ordine Medicos are highly perplexed and concerned at this act, as the Plague has already ended. They openly warn the world that the caravan's supplies, a massive transfer of ingredients for the potion, are not pure: they were in-route to the Amurite lands for processing and magical refinement. Any attempt to make Plague Potion from these ingredients would be fraught with risk, with a minor but significant chance of the Plague Potion not providing protection but instead insuring infection.

The Ordine Medicos are highly concerned that attempts at counterfeit potions with these impure ingredients may lead to disaster. They request that whoever stole these ingredients turn them back over in light of their compromised state. As no Medicos or other person was harmed in the theft (and great care seemingly taken to avoid it), the Medicos will freely forgive and ask no questions of anyone who deals in these stolen goods and turns them back over to the Ordine. Anyone who turns over the Ingredients will be remembered fondly when the next request for Medicos assistance comes.

Near where the ambush took place, the Svartalfar have no comment except to claim they didn't do it.

---

Midiru Designs Wins Grigori Forge Contest!

After many weeks of entries, some practical, some ornamental, some bizarre as they were fascinating, the Grigori judges have come to a decision: Boris and Alice of Midiru, the co-developers of Midiru Designs, have proven themselves most worthy for the Grigori Guild.

Cassiel himself is said to have been pleased with the entry in particular, and the chief judge, Prime Minister Esirce, explains why they chose Midiru Designs over others.

"Midiru Designs is not the most ambitious guild: there were others far more grandly presented, and made far more claims of what they could do. Midiru is not the most sophisticated guild: there were others who added bells, whistles, and magical involvement with their designs, often in a level far in excess of the ordinary Grigori blacksmith. Midiru Designs did not even promise the most raw power behind their practices: nothing akin to the Stonefire Guild, which could possibly pump out a time and a half again more metalworking than Midiru.

But Midiru Designs had a few things that others did not. It had a simplicity that any forge master or apprentice could learn. Its emphasis and expertise on farming and settlement implements not only further enables Cassiel's and our hopes for peaceful and practical utility and the upcoming expansion on the Southern and Eastern Frontier, but it also synchronizes with the needs and means of the Farmer's Guild, a great part of our Republic in its own right.

And Midiru's underlying advantage to all of that was their use of compound materials to make plows and other equipment stronger and lighter at the same time. The Stonefire Guild, the runner ups, could produce more iron and copper workings, but not necessarily better iron. But the philosophy that has delivered a new type of plow promises not only to boost our already great farm production, but our construction and other buildings as well. Lighter buildings with just as strong materials can rise higher. City and settlement infrastructure could be made cheaper and easier. And, perhaps, if another war might find us one day in the future, our brave men's swords and armor will be lighter and just as strong.

But that would be an unfortunate and dark occurrence, while Midiru's optimistic production gives us hope that we can build a better future with our own hands. And, in the end, isn't that a large part of what we Grigori are all about?

Forge Master Boris, Lady of the Forge Alice, it is my pleasure to grant you these Titles as your reward for your efforts and aspirations. May they be shared amongst us all."

Government wagons (and a carriage) have been sent to bring Master Boris, Lady Alice, and anything they require from their home of Midiru to Midgard to set up their Guild, and to arrange the details of the victory. A festive awards ceremony will be held in the near future to celebrate the establishment of the new guild, and Cassiel himself plans to attend to congratulate the two.

Oddly, though a few of the more militant ministers (and judges) who pushed for other contestants will not attend in reflection of their disappointment, it is said that Lady Capria of the Bannor was personally pleased with the final decision, and might attend herself.

ONSTAD'S QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Thy arcane skills
Their laws that you invent
Those skilled could rule Mazera
And mastery in the gods gift
is power indeed." - Kylorin

Thanks to LJ for this one.
The Cassiel CounterQuote

"Power does not free. Power enslaves one to his own fears and ambitions, and seeking more power only enhances those chains. Strength frees, and strength is well content to abandon power to it's own devices." -Cassiel​

I tried to be polite, Ozziel, but apparently you do not intend to return the favor. Your dependence upon personal insults reflects poorly upon your character. I will have you know that we signed a contract, and while I'd prefer not to deal with such messy things, I will happily drag you in front of a court in order to ensure that I get what I am owed. I'm sure they'll love to see you, especially in consideration of that fact that you attempted to send Cassiel a cross-dressing whore because you thought he needed to "relax more."
-Elder Methyl

For one, I had believed the whore to be a woman. The disguise was quite excellent, as witnesses attested, and I was not the first person she he fooled. Secondly, unless the court is completely and, indeed, irrationally bent upon avenging that little incident, I highly doubt you'd win. I will see you in court.
-Ozziel

Mr. Gabriel, I understand you are in charge of maintaining order in this fine city, particularly assuring that contracts are honored. However, from what I gathered, you are woefully underpaid. Consider the attached money a small way of saying thanks for all the good work you've done, a donation to the greater good to be used responsibly. I'm hoping you'll be able to return the favor one day.
-Ozziel, wandering scholar

Mr. Gabriel, Grigori pride has recently been put at stake. A certain overweight Balseraph scholar with a penchant for visiting every house of ill repute he comes across, defaming honorable scholars, and stealing anything that might be of interest, has decided to add "defiance of contract" to his list of crimes and misdemeanors. Attached is a small gift, which I hope you shall put towards oiling the machine of justice, in order to assure a more swift and fair trial.
-Elder Methyl of the Luonnotar

Ozziel laid on his bed, trying to recall what had happened last night. There'd been that whore, the cross dresser, and... had he really? No, just mild flirtations. He hadn't been that drunk. Thank Tali. Surely there had to be a better way to deal with this headache... Ozziel wondered if the Grigori had rooted out that rogue cult of Overlords followers yet. They always had the best herbs.
His thoughts were interrupted by a severe knock on his door. He peered under it to see a pair of unremarkable, upper-middle class shoes surrounded by military boots. "Open up, Ozziel! You're under arrest, and we're not letting you get away this time!" Ozziel backed away from the door as the guards kicked it open. He saw Elder Methyl among them, hands tied behind his back, smiling sheepishly. "Apparently," Methyl said, "Mr. Gabriel does not take kindly to attempted bribery."

Spoiler The actions of a madman, pt. VI :
Flauros drank greedily from the bowl. Mouer studied him, before speaking: "So, Flauros, why have you come to Grigori lands?"
Flauros looked curiously at her, holding the bowl still only inches from his lips. She sensed the underlying madness that had been part of his being since Alexis' death. And she could see his fangs for a second. He put down the bowl, carefully, and focused on her.

"There are multiple reasons. First of all, I needed to get away from the illoyal scum you know as the Calabim army and that backstabber, Ilyth..."
Mouer supressed a slight chuckle. She knew that Flauros - at least the one she had heard about - would have acted in much the same way, had he been in Ilyth's shoes.
"... And secondly, because I hoped you could help me. I need help to reclaim my throne."
She could not resist the urge to jest with him a bit: "Your throne? I thought the Calabim nation was led by a gathering of nobles from all the noble houses," she added with a low, innocent laughter. Flauros sighed in disappreciation. "We both know that is a facade," he added wearily. She returned to business. "How would the Grigori profit from you regaining your throne?"

He sighed. "I... I am not the same. I will treat my people better - better than before, and certainly better than Ilyth with all his monsters running around!"
"And...?"
"And I will lead them away from the Veil, of course. I am sure you as Grigori can appreciate that."
She nodded. "From the Veil... To what? The sneaky deceit of Esus, or the blind ambition of Aeron?"

Flauros told him. She glared at him. Even the Serpentine slayers loosened up slightly. She gaped. "You... Are serious? A church... Calabim church... To Succellus?"
Flauros nodded.

The Way Of The Wizard
Part II

Spoiler :

Leonan rushed out of the cathedral, and across the cobbled streets, until he got to the University Of Nimarail, one of the most advanced places of academic learning in Mazera.

He looked up at the grand building. It was made of marble and shined softly in the sunlight. At the base of the tower were some buildings, some made to mimic Dural architecture, some made in the style of the Ljosalfar, and some in the style of the Malakim. Nicknamed the Tower Of Kylorin, it was where the best mages had studied. Even Os-Gabella had visited. But that was a long time ago.

Leonan walked through the gardens, marvelling at the flowers that grew there. Bees hummed softly, flying from flower to flower, butterflies every colour of the rainbow sitting in the sunlight that filtered down through the leaves. As Leonan walked through the garden, he occasionally saw an elf sitting in the flowers, talking to the plants. And, as he got to the base of the tower, the trees cleared and the cobbled paving turned into marble slabs. He walked up the steps and walked through the massive archway. As he stepped through the doorway, he felt as if he just went through a veil. The air in the tower was thick with the humming of magic. He went through the hall, into another room, which looked out into an open-spaced garden, where a giant crystal seemed to be growing out of the ground.
"Beautiful, isn't it."
Startled, Leonan turned around. An archmage, with dark, black hair and deep green eyes was behind him. Her robes were not the customary magenta of an Amurite mage, but a deep, dark purple.
"Wh-Who, Who are you?" Leonan stuttered. And, before she could answer, he rushed off to his class.

Here's a story centered around the Ngomele!
Spoiler The Revolution, part 1 :
Mvadang couldn’t bear it anymore. She was looking at the sky, trying to get them out of her head. Heavy clouds. Where was the bright blue sky she longed for? For a brief instant, a thought hovered in her mind; the thought that all what she had longed for was already gone now. Vungu’s voice made it go away.

“We could send a small party to find Lengdu.”

“Vungu, it’s of no use to take Mvadang’s side. More than half the Council has already agreed…”

“… but who will be in charge of Shwa, now?”

Mvadang glared at Vungu. She was nice and, certainly, honest. But she wasn’t very convincing. She never was and certainly never will be. Especially since every other member of the Council think she has too much affinity with Mvadang.

“We will make sure that a new Town Council is created in Shwa”, answered Dungi Bearshape, one of the youngest members.

“Even though Town Councils are a great idea, I insist that we need to find Lengdu. His disparition is a deep blow to Shwa’s morale.”

“Mvadang, we…”

“We have the resources, you just don’t want to use them for that, I got it.”

“Lengdu isn’t a Council member, nor is he a Town Councillor. He was just appointed to Shwa until the Town Council be established there, so…”

“I appointed him to Shwa because he has the required skills to run it.”

“Mvadang, stop being a jerk”, cut Hasher of the former Mdiri tribe, a Councillor since the foundation of the Ngomele Zanganga. “The Council said ‘no’, it’s no. Whatever you’re up to with Lengdu is your personal issue. We won’t try to recover your lover from Archosian lands or wherever he may be now.”

Hasher was older and even bigger than Mvadang. She was more than eight feet tall and had a grey, black-spotted fur; she was impressive, some would say terrifying, and she also was a model of perfection among the Ngomele. Even Mvadang couldn’t help to like her. She had this typical Mdiri accent, with so many more diverse sounds… Mvadang didn’t answer. She was unable to. She looked at Vungu and saw that she was impressed, because her ears were turned away from Hasher.

“Well, let’s call this session closed, would you mind?” asked Dungi. Every member nodded and began to move away from the trunk they were using as table.

Outside the Council Tree, Vungu came towards Mvadang and seized her arm.

“Are you okay?”

“No.” She gazed at Hasher, who was walking back to her duties. “She pisses me off.”

“Let’s walk, Muva.”

“Not know.” Mvadang pushed Vungu away from her arm. “I’ve work to do with Beba.”

“I thought we would go to Ziri’s and drink something. You need to chill out.”

Mvadang sighed. “Probably”. She caressed Vungu’s forehead. “But not now, I’ll join you later.”

“Fine, then. See you later.”

Mvadang looked at her friend while she walked away. She then took a path behind the Tree. Bwoheshegu’s roads were the most beautiful ones of the whole Zanganga. They were made of a yellow stone flourishing around the city; they were a drain because of the maintenance but citizens themselves donated their money to help them stay in good shape. Travellers from less urbanized cities of the Zanganga were always saying: “Oh, look, they walk on stones here in Bwoheshegu! They’re afraid of getting they feet dirty!”.

She came near a large tree in which a circular path was carved and was going upward all around it. This was a less well welcomed idea. Hurting trees was always something taboo in Ngomele’s culture. But the rise of the Council brought changes, as well as the spread of the Green Sea did. Non-Gnolls travelers were always surprised when they saw such trees; for them, the Green Sea is all about preserving the Nature and, thus, the trees; unfortunately, the Council and even the highest ranked Green Sea priests came to the conclusion that trees were of better use this way than by just being left alone. And in Mvadang’s mind, things were getting even deeper. She took the circular path. Halfway to its end, she stopped; there was a rather big structure here, all built around and according to the disposition of the branches. She pulled a small string of flower which was suspended near the main entrance.

“Come in!”, said a cheerful voice from the inside. And so did Mvadang.

The inside was even more chaotic that the outside was. The floor was uneven everywhere; the whole thing seemed built in a bizarre angle. There were papers everywhere. It was a fairly recent invention around here but it spread really fast. Writing itself was old already; Mvadang being born in a tribe where many know how to read and write, but they were used to write on dried skin or some such. Paper was fantastic.

A small Gnoll jumped out of nowhere and gave a warm hug to Mvadang.

“Come on, Beba!”, she screamed while pushing the young one away, “Since when do you greet me like this?”

“Ah, don’t be mad, Muva, ‘tis just how travelers greet each other! ‘Dunt you saw it?”

“I did. But they were in love or sisters or something.” Then, she frowned. Beba laughed.

“You shou’ see your face!” Mvadang then scowled. “Dis one too!” And Beba laughed more.

Mvadang grunted and sat down on a chair. “Do you have something for me?”

“You’re so serous a’ the time!”, Beba said while closing the door and locking it. She gazed at Mvadang but only saw her ‘serous’ face. She sighed and walked towards one of the windows; a simple hole in the wall. She rummaged the desk there, sending papers away and pushing books. She eventually grabbed a letter folded in four and gave it to Mvadang.

“Who’s that from?”

“Seemit from Lanun! Given dis small seal dere.”

“Oh, yes.” Mvadang unfolded it and grunted again. “I need-“

“Dere you go, Muva!” Beba was holding a big book with the same seal than the one on the letter. There were Ngomele symbols on it as well as Lanun’s. A dictionary. These things were useful but hard to make. Fortunately, any attempt at a Ngomele to another language dictionary was directed by the Council, so it was easy to get them if needed. The Lanun one was, to Mvadang’s memory, the first one ever created for the Ngomele language. She thanked Beba and began translating the letter.

Beba sat down before her desk and began writing some things. Even though not many would guess that, she was quite known among the Ngomele scholars for some books she wrote; and, despite her young age, she already wrote a lot of them. Her more studied books are her poetry ones; she would prefer it if scholars studied her birds’ books, though. She spent a lot of time watching and taking care of birds, enough to think she could write books on some subjects; and she was knowledgeable enough that her theories and other discoveries were widely accepted in the Zanganga. She would also have liked to spread Ngomele literature to the outside civilizations but the Council’s restrictions upon importations and exportations also affected books and not many outsiders were able to translate or even read the Ngomele languages. Even inside the Zanganga it was hard to accommodate to the various languages.

All of a sudden, a bird landed on Beba’s head and began shrieking. Beba heard Mvadang laugh discretly while still translating her letter. Even before she could take care of that bird on her head, a second one came through the other window and landed on a shoulder, effectively shrieking in her ear.

She took them one by one and put them on her desk. Out of a bag she was wielding at her belt, she pulled some bird food and gave them. She talked to them under the amused eyes of Mvadang. After she took the papers they were carrying, they flew around a bit and then got out. Mvadang was used to this enough to know they weren’t gone but just fooling around in the tree.

“What is it?”

“Ours.”

“Really?”

“Dis one is a Banga’s.” She got up and gave the first one to Mvadang. “An’ dis one… No idea. Short, no sig.” Mvadang took the letter from Beba’s hands and read it quickly. “So?”

“We’ve got two Medicos.”

“Whaz dat?”

“You know, Grigori healers.”

“Oh! Luvly!” She gave Mvadang a big smile. “An’ wha’ abou’ Banga’s?”

“I need to see him.” She paused and tore up the letters. “The Council must not get these, understood, Beba?” Beba nodded. “The Lanun one is just a trading thing, nothing important, you can send it to the Council.” She nodded again. “Not translated. Let’s give Hasher a headache.” She giggled. “Also, I want you to contact Ri.”

“Huh? Why?”

“Don’t be afraid, she’s safe.”

“Not sure, Muva.”

“I am, trust me.”

“She… She not a gnoll!”

“I know. But she will help us find Lengdu.” Beba’s eyes began to shine. “See? You’re all happy to go see her.” Mvadang laughed. “However, you can’t go with her. I just want you to tell her in person what she must do. Then you come back here. I need you for the birds.” Beba nodded. Mvadang caressed her nose and got out of the house.

“I’m sure you’re up to something.” Mvadang nearly jumped. She turned and saw Vungu getting up from her seat just near Beba’s house. She came near Mvadang and took her arm again. “You won’t get away this time.” They began walking down the circular path around the tree. “Why don’t you tell me what’s going on?”

“You don’t want to know.”

“Come on, Muva, I’m with you since the beginning of the unification. I won’t let you down.” Mvadang gazed at her from the corner of her eyes. “I want to be a part of it.” She smiled. “And I always like a good cunning plan, you know that.”

“Let’s drink something at Ziri’s.”

“Yeah, let’s do that.”

Operation Salamander sought two 'modest' goals.

The destruction of the Chislev state, and the annihilation of the Chislev armies.

Perhaps it wasn't so modest as thought. But it was achievable by cutting down the underlying strength of the Chislev: their fierce and excellent ability to fight in the forests, the jungles, the marshes, and everywhere there were woods. They could hide their like no others, even the elves. They could move through them like no others. And you could never, ever go through a forest without wondering where an arrow or trap would spring from. As long as there were forests, the Chislev could resist even the most overwhelming force.

Operation Salamander was devised to demolish that foundation of power. If the Chislev would fight from the woods, then the woods would become their funeral pyre.

Oh, Operation Salamander could have been started by conventional means or already achieved magical means. Sun-mana adepts could scorch captured woods, let them burn into the forests that stopped at the Grigori border. The Bannor would rely on similar methods.

But why wait so long, and leave the Chislev the opportunity to fight the fires? Greater, more powerful magics were needed. The Amurites wouldn't supply them, no, but they were proof that it was possible. The Grigori sages turned towards Sorcery, and as their adepts became mages, they became capable of great fire power.

Operation Salamander is the methodical razing of the Chislev forests from both fronts. The Bannor and Order confessors raze from the south, the Grigori mages burn from the East. Great fireballs engulf empty forests, setting them smoking and, soon, aflame. Chislev soldiers in the smoking forests can either hold their ground and burn with the kindling, or retreat. But once they are in the burnt lands, they are far easier prey for the Feral Werewolves that have become so endemic in the North under the Baron's control.

They can retreat to the next forest, but it will burn. They can retreat to the next one after it, but it will also burn. There will be no forests left to hide in.

As the forests burn, the Grigori siege engines and Serpentine slayers and swordsmen march. From the south, their counterparts do the same. It is a matter of days or weeks before they reach the major Chislev cities.

(A letter, written on Balseraph stationary and sealed with a royal seal, delivered to Belli the Mad)

We heard about your entry in the Grigori forgemaster contest, and cannot understand why your offering was not selected. It seems that the Grigori simply do not appreciate genius like we do, and are apparently unable to understand the power of ambition and creativity in providing unique solutions to the problems of Erebus. Your technology takes many daring risks, risks we, unlike the Grigori, are willing to take. Therefore, we would like to inform you that there may be a position open in the Balseraph government, if you are so interested.
-Minister Gromm, advisor to Perpentach
P.S. I have not actually spoken to Perpentach about this... you come at your own risk. But surely, he could appreciate your work! I hope...

Ok, this thread is closed for the next few hours. If you post any stories, they will have absolutely no effect on your standing on Mazera and could have a negative impact. I'm redoing the resources and ironing out some economy stuff. Expect it to be back up in less than an hour.

Top Bottom