One City challenge

Agree that the lack of trade routes seems strange. I had thought that the independents (who I was at war with) might be blocking my potential trade route with the Russia city on the Baltic coast, but after eliminating the Independents from Scandinavia I still don't have any trade routes with Russia - who I have OB and a DP.

Can I have vassal in OCC? I need to know before starting a game.

Sure you can, but beware - civs almost never voluntarily become your vassal.
You probably have to attack and raze their cities until they capitulate.
Once a civ has capitulated, it's unlikely that the civ stands up against you, but it's likely that it'll collapse some time later.

Sure you can, but beware - civs almost never voluntarily become your vassal.
You probably have to attack and raze their cities until they capitulate.
Once a civ has capitulated, it's unlikely that the civ stands up against you, but it's likely that it'll collapse some time later.
Okay, so it's not disabled in OCC?

Okay, so it's not disabled in OCC?

No.

Seems like you haven't tried much of OCC games, so here's an important thing to note: In an OCC game you can build Stock Exchange, Channel Tunnel, Opera House, etc with only one prereq buidling (e.g., only one Theatre is needed to build Opera House) and prereq techs, of course. This benefit will be extremely important in a long run.

Seems like you haven't tried much of OCC games, so here's an important thing to note: In an OCC game you can build Stock Exchange, Channel Tunnel, Opera House, etc with only one prereq buidling (e.g., only one Theatre is needed to build Opera House) and prereq techs, of course. This benefit will be extremely important in a long run.

Opera house in particular is a must ASAP, be sure to research Drama early.

Won these two in the last couple days. Strategy is similar to the strat guides, Egypt was fairly easy, just went along with Stonehenge for caste, then the usual wonders. Babylon was difficult, had to kill China and harass India to stop the competition. Thanks for this challenge and the hints Usi, this is fun as hell.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 282
If you don't show the real-world time (which is an option) then you won't have turn numbers or dates without calendar, I think.

yeah, those are monarch victories, and yes Egypt was a tough one, took many attempts.....how do you show real world time, in the options tab?

OK, an Emperor OCC is proven to be winnable.
In fact, it was rather easy. I won by conquest in 1745, spaceship was launched in 1987 with 100% success chance, and I got the highest score in 2020. So bad that I destroyed too many civs too early so that I could not achieve a diplomatic win.

Here's some strategies and tips:

1) Here's how to see which city is the best.
  1. Start a game as Egypt
  2. Give some techs to yourself
  3. Build a city to the plot you are interested in
  4. Increase its population to 20 (or the number of tiles workable) and culture to 10
  5. Build improvements around it
  6. Build Opera House, National Park, (if that's a coastal city) Moai Statues, Harbor, Colossus, Great Lighthouse, and (if the city is next to a river and if you think that the late game matters) Levee.
  7. Exit from WB and check Food, hammer, and coin outputs of the city. Repeat the same thing with other cities.
I chose Arretium, but other people might prefer somewhere else.

2) There is no beakers to waste. Don't ever bother researching Agriculture, Mathematics, Calender, Monarchy, Feudalism, etc. Those techs must be obtained via tech trading. With very few exceptions, always research techs that others don't have. The only exceptions I can remember now are Meditation and Civil Service. You'll need Meditation so that GProphet can bulb Theology, which makes your capital the Christian holy city. You probably cannot get it from India via trade, so you might have to research it. Also, you need Civil Service ASAP for the most important civic in a OCC. But, well, if someone got CS before you do, you probably messed up with the research order.

3) Send a workboat to the East. It connects trade routes with various civs, and India and China might trade some techs with you. After you got Currency (which must be one of the techs you should immediately go for), sell some techs to them. They won't be any more dangerous than any Euro civ.

4) Carthage must be destroyed or vassalized quickly. In a usual game Greece can sometimes be a good trade partner, but they'll build many of the wonders you will need (Great Lighthouse, Great Library, Temple of Artemis, and Leaning Tower). So, they should be wiped out soon.

5) European civs must be wiped out or vassalized immediately after they built their first city. No city must be left, so that they won't respawn. If you made them your vassals, don't let them research Astronomy. IIRC, America can respawn with only one city. Also, if they became too strong, keep asking them to switch civics. If you have Cristo Redentor, switch your civics to as stupid ones as possible, then ask them to follow. Switching back and forth between Depotism + State Property and Universal Suffrage + Envoronmentalism might be especially good.

Can you play as one nation (let's say Egypt), and then play as another nation and win as them (let's say Ethiopia)?

I don't actually plan on doing the Egypt/Ethiopia thing, that's just an example. I'm pretty sure it's impossible as Ethiopia.

I would say, no - because that can be too effective.

That will let Portugal start with already built and improved Lisboa with tens of great people, galleons full of army units capable of destroying the world, and a great amount of money just gifted by the previous civ that the player was using.:lol:

No, I don't mean anything like that.

My plan (what I just did and succeeded in doing) was to start as India, and then spread Buddhism like crazy, and then switch to the Khmer and start with the 30% Buddhism goal completed, and then just get the other 2. Keep in mind this was on Emperor.

Does this count? If so, I'll post it. If not, I'll try it without India.

I would think any switching of civs to enable a victory shouldn't be counted.
A Carthage-squat on Rome would probably work too, no? Maybe that's your next project, usi. :D

Top Bottom