Dr kossin #6

^ and remember that FR is willem's favourite civic so you'll get a better diplo bonus from that than from sharing his religion.(You may want to trade lib to him if you're afraid of a backstab)

Round 5

I kept my eyes open for means of getting additional gold throughout the round, which allowed me to more or less keep the slider at 100%. Maps were especially good for this.

I built a few more units and took HC's remaining cities.

This one I razed since there was nothing valuable and it missed 2 resources (wine not improved and iron). I'll resettle it at some point, either 1E (more commerce) or 2E (more hills). I'm thinking 2E now but I my mind is not set on the matter.

HC the weasel vassaled to Peter the donkey. Just what I needed, another war.

On the following turn...

I revolted to FR as planned...

And finished HC after a few more turns. There was only a monument (Free from SH) in this city :(

I spotted Peter's units - I have a decent number of Elephants and a 2 Longbows over there. The remnants of the HC army is being shipped up there but I'm not sure they'll make it in time.

Still, it isn't that big of a stack. He should be willing to negotiate after it's wiped out. I can always whip a few more units up there. Also to be noted: Peter built the AP (Buddhist which I'll start spreading), the vote came in this turn and Saladin will be elected from the looks of it. If the war drags on, odds are Sal will stop it. I put some research into Constitution (don't ask, I don't know why), but military techs might be a better choice going forward seeing how slow the AIs are. Cannons could wipe a good piece of Willem and Peter.

Relations are pretty good except with the moron.

There's an 1 tile island city that might be worth settling with the Great Lighthouse+clams. And I need to resettle the wine-iron city to get me 10 cities.

I should be able to start Oxford University once the Aqueduct is completed in Athens to aid research.

Bah, dont stop the war, whip walls/a few longbows and suicide the catapults, get a great general (GG points *2) and make a healer. Sue for peace, you will get some gold when Peter decides to talk.
I'd settle the 2 islands, they are very good w/ the lighthouse and if you run out of foreign routes they are count for overseas ones (100% bonus). Also you can settle one ok city north of the incense, gets gold hills w/ windmills and bring some irrigation.

The game is won by now.

Been having trouble with civ 4 these last few days, it seems to crash and cause me to have to resume from auto saves but I see that OP has played a bit further.

To 175 AD (no pictures):

Spoiler :

Plan to crush Willem went out the window when I saw he was capable of researching feudalism, circa 775 BC. :eek:. Saladin had a ton of Drill II/Drill III archers in his nearby cities so I settled for a rebuilding round.

Took a barb city after getting my units back up NE of Athens. Willem tried taking it but his 5 units couldnt kill the 4 barb archers.

Now have 8 cities, am currently whipping an army to fight. Tech is OK having recently traded for Feudalism and obtained Monarchy/Calendar/Currency/CoL to stabilise the economy. Unfortunately my last GP was a prophet not a scientist so I couldnt bulb Philosophy, settling for a 7 GPT shrine.

Settled two cities rather than one to share the 3 fish/sheep down south, plan is to whip a ton of cats/elephants/axes/swords in there every second turn, keep the city happy using HR to keep going until I have enough.

Need to get some courthouses going next round, maintenance is killing me. Building SoZ for gold, may even end up keeping it given how much war I plan on doing :splat: Think the best target to attack is Willem, his land looks nicer and he has two holy cities :)

Save below.

Round 6

A very short round, simply as I don't have more time today.

Peter teched nationalism so I traded it around.

I got a bit unlucky with rolls and lost a lot more units than I should have. As I result I had to whip Thebes considerably down. Moreover, Peter is not willing to declare peace for less than Education (screw him).

I've also finished Oxford University this turn so research is taking off.

I closed borders with Willem as he had a galley that looked like it was heading to the island tile. A settler will be done in 3 turns from Cuzco, after which I can safely re-open borders.

I think I'll go military this game, just because I can get a nice techlead from the looks of it.

I have deep-selected Economics for the free GM, and it's almost straight in-line with Rifling. Rifles/Cannons should clean this mess up. Cavalry would be faster to clean up one opponent but since there's 3 on this Continent, cannons will give me a good upgradable army that will not get many losses. Of course, Cavalry+Bombers would be even better but it doesn't seem likely that I can pull it off successfully here - it's still a while off and my research rate isn't that impressive.

Round 7

Another very short round due to time issues, but still an update.

After settling the island city, I reopened borders with Willem.
I completed the Taj Mahal, focused on science and both are doing nicely so far.
I was first to Economics and got the free Great Merchant -> revolt to Free Market (I catually forgot to do it on the turn I got it :S). I can either use him for another Golden Age or on a Trade Mission to Beijing for 2300:gold:. A galleon has been built in case.

Gilgamesh demanded Education early in the set, which I refused. I've read somewhere that the AI doesn't demand monopoly techs so it meant Mao had Education. Moreover Astronomy was up for grabs and someone had a nice lump of cash on their hands.

Peace after all...

I'll be taking that gold, thank you.

Haha, Friendly!

Diplo seems very easy from here.

But so do Domination/Conquest

In any case, I'm sending a boat over to the Chinese to see how diplo is.

This game was one from the start.

Easy Cav + Spy game, go for Saladin (Vassal him once you get him down to his island city and his city in the middle of Netherlands) -> Peter -> WvO, then you should hit Dom limit, but if not, tech to Gunships and take out the weaker of the two, or go Diplo.

Round 8

I took Kadazzle's advice and went for Cavalry. Military Tradition>Replaceable Parts>Rifling while building Cuirassiers.

Just as the Taj Golden Age expired, I was blessed with another Golden Age.

My galleon finally met the Chinese, Qin this time.

The free GM made his way to Beijing for a very lucrative trade mission.

Using that gold, I upgraded my cuirassiers while building more Cavalry.

I was scouting Saladin and found his SoD.

While outdated, it was large enough to slow me down, so I used my new buddy, Peter.

Of course, Saladin sent his SoD away...

I let them duke it out for a few turns, until Peter came around to ask for help.

I was very much obliged.

Pretty good for a 7 turns war. Next, I backstabbed my new buddy Peter. That's for the 2 DoWs you made against me!

4 turns war this time around. I set my sights on Willem next.

And 3 turns for Willem. This is how powerful Cavalry is with a tech edge. I only built Cavalry - no spies - and only got 5 Airships against Willem that damaged a grand total of 14 units.
War started on turn 184 - 1240AD and 21 turns later, turn 205 - 1450AD, the entire continent is at my feet. I kept the slider at 100% research during almost all the round.

I stopped here rather than wrapping up the game as I have two choices:
1-Build the UN and win today -> start Dr kossin #7
2-Capitulate Gilgamesh+Qin tomorrow

1 will be easier and faster while 2 will be more interesting. I leave it up to the readers to decide.

Techs - no one is even close

Victory condition - add in my vassals' votes and it's a UN win

The other landmass: to vassal or not?

It's your game, so go with whatever's more fun. Sometimes the end game war slog can be boring, sometimes it's fun killing people.

Well played OP.

As game is won, to end:
Spoiler :

Had to abandon the game, Willem teched very fast to knights/maces/pikes, switched targets to Saladin, lost 40+ units trying to kill the 10 or 11 defenders in Saladin's capital, the last half at reasonable odds (60+). Only had 3 cities to show for my army and a large tech deficit.

Game would have been OK if Willem didnt beeline Feudalism and my other neighbor didnt have Drill III archers.

Retried from BC save and ended up almost wiping Saladin by 500AD but I dont feel like avenging my loss.

Round 9

Seeing no objections, I went for Diplomation. If anyone wants a different finish, feel free to take the previous round's save and go for it :)

Beelined to Mass Media and used the Great Engineer I got, thanks to Factories.

Obviously I had more than enough votes.

And the result is...

Which turns out to be my best score by a few hundred points.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Post game
There's not much to say so I won't: Did you see that capital?
Combined with HC's and Peter's idiocy, slow teching neighbors, the game was in the bag.

On to Dr kossin #7 then!

Top Bottom