What does each art file do?

Bowsling

Deity
I am creating this to help graphics modders know what certain files will do, without spending the time to open each one.
I will start with conquests, the ptw file that weren't edited by conquests, then vanilla files that weren't edited by either of the expansions.
*: I am not certain on some things said, feel free to make a correction post.
This tutorial is not complete.

Table of Contents

Conquests\Art
Conquests\Art\Advisors
Conquests\Art\Animations
Conquests\Art\Cities
Conquests\Art\city screen

3checkboxes-USE: Is the checkbox beside each preference in the preference menu. On the left is not checked, center is when it is moused over, and right is checked.

civ3complete_TITLE_bkgrnd: Is the tankish-themed main menu, without the buttons or text.

civ3complete_TITLE_buttons: Are the buttons that you click on for each option. On the left is not checked, center is when it is moused over, and right is checked.

cursor*: Is a very confusing file. Blue (as in the squares that take up most of the image) and magenta are the transparent colors. Light green I believe is the civcolor. All those green arrows pointing to the center of the square is set rally point. Those random magenta and light green circles are the selected unit rings, I have no idea why there are so many of them. That red circle that is (I think) used when you have a nuke to drop, to show the radius. That green circle is used for the civcolour circle. The squares beneath the civcolour circles are used in road to, railroad to.
The cursors at the top, from left to right:
I don't know, blank, road to, railroad to, airdrop, out of range, bombard w/ artillery unit, airstrike, automate to work city (I think), I don't know, I don't know, airstrike, new unit (it's igame functions are bothering me, I can't quite remember), civlopedia link, colony to, airstrike, airstrike, blank, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know.

file: The two on the left are used in the load game or save game menu, and the four on the left are used in civ-content, the icon for different editor file types (e.g. biq. bix.)

histograph-top5_final: This file is displayed at the end of the game. The box on the left is where the power/culture/score graphs are displayed, with the bottom as most recent and the top as 4000.
The box on the right is where the top five cities are shown

histograph-win5_final: Is also displayed at the end. it is where the victory stats are shown.

resources: Is the file that is used to display the resources on the map. In the editor, under the "natural resources" tab, each resource is assigned an icon number. They start at zero (horses) and go left to right, top to bottom. There are several resources in various Firaxis scenarios, and availible for download on the forum. To implement these, simply copy and paste the icon. If you want to add new ones, simply expand the canvas, by fifty for each row or column. Paint bucket the white into magenta (ff00ff), and expand those lines with the colour c8ca16.

resources_shadows: Are the shadows displayed underneath each resource, as a negative. To add new ones, simply put them in the box withe the corresponding number (see resources). To add new boxes, follow the same process as resources. If you don't want shadows with your resources, it is important to still have a simply magenta box.

SCROLL: Are the arrows used for scrolling in various game places. Transparent colours are purple (bc42bd) and light green (00ff00)

TileInfo: The box that comes up if you right-click an empty tile, or right-click then scroll down to "terrain info". Transparent colours are pure white (ffffff) and magenta (ff00ff).

x_title buttons alpha: Is the background for the alternate title screen. Transparent colours are the shades of black 000000 and 010101. See below for information on how to implement it.

x_title buttons: Is the buttons for the alternate title screen. Both transparent colours are pure white.
See below for information on how to implement it.

x_title: Is the alternate title screen. To implement it, rename the files called civ3complete_TITLE_bkgrnd and civ3complete_TITLE_buttons to something else. Then rename this file to civ3complete_TITLE_bkgrnd. For the above files, replace "x_title" with civ3complete_TITLE, and replace spaces with underscores.

CampRecBG: Is the background for all advisors except science.

science_ancient: Is the ancient tech tree, minus the techs. It includes all the arrows.

science industrial: Is the industrial tech tree from vanilla, minus the techs. It includes all the arrows. It is never used in game.

science_industrial_new: Is the industrial tech tree from conquests, minus the techs. It includes all the arrows. The only difference between it and science industrial is that this file doesn't have the space for radio.

science_middle: Is the middle ages tech tree, minus the techs. It includes all the arrows.

x2_Charles_V advisor: Is the leaderhead for Charles V used in the foreign advisor screen.

x2_Gilgamesh advisor: Is the leaderhead for Gilgamesh used in the foreign advisor screen.

x2_Henry advisor: Is the leaderhead for Henry used in the foreign advisor screen.

x2_Mursilis advisor: Is the leaderhead for Mursilis used in the foreign advisor screen.

x2_Pachacuti advisor: Is the leaderhead for Pachacuti used in the foreign advisor screen.

x2_Smoke_Jaguar advisor: Is the leaderhead for Smoke-Jaguar used in the foreign advisor screen.

x2_Theodora advisor: Is the leaderhead for Theodora used in the foreign advisor screen.

x2_William advisor: Is the leaderhead for William used in the foreign advisor screen.

Eruption Folder:
eruption.flc: This is the animation used when a volcano erupts.
Eruption.ini: This file controls at what speed the volcano eruption happens at.

Plague Folder:
plague.flc: This is the animation used when a city has the plague.
Plague.ini: This file controls at what speed the crows whirl at.

Smolder Folder (yay! poetry!):
Smolder.ini: This file controls how fast smoke comes out of the volcano.
Volcano smoke.flc: This is the animation used when a volcano is active.

barracks: The little sword thing that is beside cities that have built barracks.

DESTROY: The ruins that you see when a city is razed. The size of the rubble is totally random, I've destroyed size-one towns and gotten the huge ruins, and destroyed metros and gotten the small ruins.

buildings-large: Is displayed in the domestic advisor pop-up when you finish building the building. All buildings and wonders are in this file.

buildings-small: Is displayed on the bottom left of the city screen, showing what buildings have been built in this city. All building and wonders are in this file.

luxuryicons_small: Are displayed in the city screen just to the right of the small building icons. All luxuries are in this file.

Top Bottom