Warhammer Heart of Chaos: Design Discussion

500th Post!! Hey guys, just checking in

Checking into what?

Yo momma! Ba-dum dum-CSHHH!

Alternatively, the mod. civ_king has been here poking around before.

Trying to hunt down a couple of annoying bugs; the mod crashes on ~turn 7, and cities are only buildable on tiles with bonus resources.

Darnit. I wan't a damage report to the HQ ASAP.
Otherwise, keep up the good work men! :salute:

Eh, at least the art issues just require hours spent, whereas the bugs require unknowable amounts of effort to hunt until they are fixed.

And they're not *my* hours :)

Python errorage is why I prefer XML. :p

PL - another issue from your teaster thread. "Immortality" religion should IMO be "Eternal Life", which is what we used to have. Works better I think.

Try DuneWars in the meantime - link in my sig.

We have a major crash bug that varies with gamespeed (happens sooner on faster gamespeed), so might be an error in the barbarian placement code somewhere.

The perils of using someone else's codebase.

ive played dune wars since the very first post
and im through all interesting ffh mods and modmods and ive played rom2, hitm and tam for hours. and since reinstalling to 3.17 is so annoying i need this mod :p
it can be so wonderful if youre waiting for a mod coz u know that its gonna be superb :)

(OFF TOPIC)
If youre REALLY bored, the best way to get out of it is browsing the net for free, downloadable or browser based, games that you can play. You might even get hooked on one.

A list of some "personality" traits I included in Dunewars leader design.

Spoiler :

Grandiose (likes wonders)
Humble (dislikes wonders)
Builder (likes wonders)
Non-builder (dislikes wonders)
Well-liked
Hated/undiplomatic
Diplomatic
Warmonger
Peacelover
Manipulative (high espionage)
Direct (low espionage)
Reasonable (negotiates for peace)
Unreasonable (hard to make peace)
Monopolist (dislikes trading tech)
Cash-trader (likes trading gold)
Total war (starts total wars)
War-shy (does not start total wars)
Cautious (needs high power advantage to start war)
Rash (needs low power advantage to start war)
Skirmisher (starts limited wars)
Opportunist (joins dogpiles)
Imperious (declares war if tribute demand rejected)
Vengeful (razes cities)
Large armies
Bold (attacks with low combat odds)
Despises weakness
Fawning (likes stronger factions)
Religious tolerance
Religious intolerance
Reliable ally (big bons from defensive pact)
Cares about civics
Doesn't care about civics
Demanding (demands tribute)
Willing trader
Unwilling trader
Mercenary (easy to buy into wars)
Honorable (difficult to buy into wars)
Free trader (hard to make stop trading)
Subservient (easy vassal)
Proud (hard vassal)

This is just an example of the kind of things we can try to include in personality design. But I was able to do this partly because I knew something about the personality of most Dune leaders; I don't really know enough about the WH fluff to have a good grasp of canon leader personalities.

We have so many factions though, that it would be sufficient to do a general faction-one, and then have some indication of how the different faction ones might vary (eg one is more religious thna another, one is more treacherous than another, etc.)

nice. will surely give more depth to the mod.
well, i dont know much about the leaders infos too, but some of them can be easily linked to races at least. for example dwarfs make friends very slowly, meaning they will accept an alliance only with much +factors, but once you r considered as a friend i takes much to get them away from you = reliable ally. maybe also "direct". generally dwarfs dont hold much respect for spy stuff unless its some kind of monumental adventuring chase after gold / artifacts / no less but rescuing of whatever epic dwarfen stuff.

good races, and maybe orcs, should be generally "bold" (in case of orcs just because of pure stupidness and/or blood frenzy) while goblins in contrast should be "cautious", they will surely attack you if you are in distress but wont take the first war declaration unless strong in numbers...so also "fawning" and "Subservient"?
elves (if would say both, druchii and high elves) "manipulative"...

and so on.

Here is a set of values that can be used for AI leaderheads.

The file has the AI parameters for vanilla, for Planetfall, for Dunewars, and then by faction for Warhammer.

I don't know enough about the different leaders to vary them within a faction, so there is just one set per faction for now.

And we have a total of 28 (!!!) factions, which is kinda insane when you think about it.

We'll need to fill a few more fields in later, and playtest a lot, but this should still provide some significant faction variation (hobgobs as unscrupulous backstabbing mercenaries, goblins as cowardly minions, bretonnia as noble and honorable, etc.)

What David did for Dunewars is write a script that would read the details into the Leader files.
Hopefully you can somehow do something similar, otherwise it is a *lot* of data to read in manually.
[You'll also need I guess to copy the things for each civ leader; so there will be 3 identical Empire lines, one for each leader.]

Attachments

• WHLeaders.zip
    27.5 KB · Views: 112
Here is a set of values that can be used for AI leaderheads.

The file has the AI parameters for vanilla, for Planetfall, for Dunewars, and then by faction for Warhammer.

I don't know enough about the different leaders to vary them within a faction, so there is just one set per faction for now.

And we have a total of 28 (!!!) factions, which is kinda insane when you think about it.

We'll need to fill a few more fields in later, and playtest a lot, but this should still provide some significant faction variation (hobgobs as unscrupulous backstabbing mercenaries, goblins as cowardly minions, bretonnia as noble and honorable, etc.)

What David did for Dunewars is write a script that would read the details into the Leader files.
Hopefully you can somehow do something similar, otherwise it is a *lot* of data to read in manually.
[You'll also need I guess to copy the things for each civ leader; so there will be 3 identical Empire lines, one for each leader.]

IMHO start with about five civs, for a prototype, then you can start getting the others online

about online downloadable game, try Dungeons & Dragons Online it is free now

IMHO start with about five civs, for a prototype, then you can start getting the others online

... ?
I just posted a design for 28 civs.

There is significant variation across these civs.

What is missing is variation between leaders *within* a faction. But this is of secondary importance, particularly considering the very very high number of factions that we have.

That's whats cool in this mod. It's different from FFH, where you cannot find direct link between cultures of our world and in-game factions. You like egiptians ? Tomb kings are for you. You like eastern cultures ? There's all set of it !.

Hmmm if we will follow this trait maybe we should add little diplomation bonus for same culture type OR penatly for contats within different cultures ?. For example Sylvians are undeads, but a central continent culture so they will have penatly in contacts even with Khermi or Lahmia. What do you think about it ?

Top Bottom