Why do missionary's fail?

ScarFace1781

Chieftain
I have several questions related to religion. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1)Is there any reason why a missionary may fail to spread a religion to a city? I know that holy cities of another religion would be harder to convert/spread ur religion but how do i know what cities will switch and which won't?

2) If a missionary fails to convert a city does sending another missionary increase my chances of changing that city...like an aggragate effect or not? So if one fails is it stupid to try again?

3) Normally I found hinduism first but I've seen games where I've founded confucianism and christianity. I know temples/monastaries for all increase culture and happiness so is the general rule the more religions the better or what?

Thanks,

ScarFace

1.) You can't know whether your missionary will be successful. Your chances decrease the more religions there are in a city, though.
2.) When a missionary fails, it does not change the odds of success for spreading the religion to that city.
3.) More religions is always better. There is no drawback, as far as I'm aware to getting as many religions into a city as possible. In fact, the civic Free Religion rewards this by giving a :) bonus for every religion in a city.

More religions is usually better, but there are sometimes some minor disadvantages for having more religions. Here are a few example of when it might be bad to get an additional religion in a city:
- you don't want the founder of the addition religion to get extra gold from their holy city.
- The religion is that of the Apostolic Palace, and you intend to defy a resolution.
- You want some particular religions in your city (for cathedrals or something) and so getting some other religion in that city makes it harder to get the ones you actually want.
- The founder of the religion gets an espionage advantage in cities that have the religion - so you might want to avoid giving some other civ that advantage.

I don't chase several religions since temples and monastries ain't very hot buildings and the missionary cost goes up considerably while the advantages goes down.

One religion is usually enough unless your going for a cultural victory. If you get a 2nd/3rd/4th religion, spread it to the largest cities where the missonary and building cost is worth it, the smaller cities shouldn't be needing the extra hapiness so much. However, if you get the Apostolic Palace religion in your empire, AP-temples and monastries should be a priority in most cities.

edit: Note that if a foreign civ is running theocracy, then you can't spread other religions than his state religion.

A missionary's chance of spreading his religion is 0.9^R, where R is the number of religions already present in the target city. So a missionary will always succeed if there is no religion in the city, but has only a 53% chance if there are six religions there already - unless the target civ is running Theocracy, in which case only that civ's state religion can be spread. Previous fails do not affect this calculation.

A missionary's chance of spreading his religion is 0.9^R, where R is the number of religions already present in the target city. So a missionary will always succeed if there is no religion in the city, but has only a 53% chance if there are six religions there already - unless the target civ is running Theocracy, in which case only that civ's state religion can be spread. Previous fails do not affect this calculation.

Wow u play this way too much...haha.

There are few things more annoying than watching my shipload of missionaries sent to another continent stand around idle because every civ in the area is running Theocracy.

Its a bit cheap, but does gifting the missionaries still work by getting the AI to spread the religion itself? Sure you can't choose cities, but if you are spreading for the gold, it doesn't matter.

Soundwαvє ▼;8785891 said:
There is any bonuses if you spread it to all civs? Beyond the gold of course.

Thanks in Advance

This is required to enable religious victory if it is the religion of the Apolitical Palace.

Then there is no inherent bonus to spreading to all civs. Only the regular bonuses for spreading the religion.

A bonus is if you have the shrine :) say there are 124 cities in the world and hinduism is in every one & you have have the shrine, your civ would have +124gold on your Gold/Turn. this is not effected by wether it is in your cities or somebody elses.... Also if you are trying to make somebody a vassal or your ally spreading your religion around and making them adopt theocracy afterwards is good

Soundwαvє ▼;8786295 said:
I think that it is a BTS feature, because I didn't find Apolitical Palace, I use Vannila :(

If you play Vanilla, you can see what's happening in all cities that have your state religion, if it's a religion you founded. This is not in BtS, though.

So the bonuses are:

1. Friends
2. GOLD!!!!!
3. Culture
4. Ability to build religious buildings
5. While running Free Religion you get +1 happiness per religion per city
6. A vote in the Apostolic Palace (Providing you have the Palace's Religion in atleast 1 of your cities, autough the more it is in your lands, the more votes you get) *BtS only*

Authough one must consider the disadvantages:

1. If other religions are in your cities it is harder to spread your own around
2. If another players religion is in your city they get the gold
3. If you do not share their religion they hate you

So thats why it is a good Idea if lots of people hate you for your religion and you are trying for a Diplomatic Victory you should try and go for Global Civic - Free Religion (but you CAN'T change your Religion Civic after that, so if you want Theocracy or Pacifism, DON'T do that)

:DJamie:D

oh and you can stack shrine income so if you own both Hinduism, Islam and Buddhism and there are 124 cities all with those religions inside you can get +374 gold on your Gold/Turn

You forgot a couple things:
a) The line of sight bonus for pre-BTS, though I don't remember how it works.
b) In BTS if you own the shrine and get them to convert to the religion you get an reduction in espionage cost.

Of course remember the downsides:
1) AIs get culture, happiness, and the ability to construct religious buildings.
2) In BTS you can increase the chances of opponents getting control of the AP/winning
3) If the AI have the shrine they get gold.
Religion works both ways.

also if you are culturall pressing the opponent city, and that city has the same religion as your state religion, then it increases the revolt chance of that city quite signicantly

By the way, what is the natural prob of a religion spreading to a city w/ no religion?

I dunno, but sometimes it takes forever (or infinity) for a religion to spread to my new cities, and sometimes it happens after a few turns.

Top Bottom