Suggest ideas for city sets

Kyriakos

Creator
I enjoyed creating the first two towns of the Russian set :) I think i can find a way to organise my work (writing) and my secondary artistic outlet (civ3 gfx creation) better, so that they do not appear to be in conflict.

So i might still make something else after the russian set. Feel free to suggest ideas as to what it should be.

Note that there is one restriction: the set must be European, either real or fantasy. This is because i want to keep the small houses the same.

Also if you suggest something be ready to help with pics of at least four different buildings from that culture, preferably religious ones.

That is it. I am waiting suggestions ;)

Note that there is one restriction: the set must be European, either real or fantasy. This is because i want to keep the small houses the same.
If you'd be interested in a little Victorian, Gothic and Steampunk design, we'd like to talk.
Like a Caprpathian fantasy set? :mischief:

Sounds interesting :) I will need pics of at least four monuments/ great buildings.

For an idea of how a gothic building looks in this size, see the left main edifice in this italian metropolis:

Firstly, Thank you Varwnos for considering this project. Now, this is going to be one of my long posts, I can just feel it....

Sounds interesting I will need pics of at least four monuments/ great buildings.

I hope you mean "four or more", because that's what you're about to get.

Ok, first, I assume you're familiar with Steampunk. If not, or you're not sure, here's a wiki on Steampunk.

The category Historical Steampunk is what our mod fits into. Other examples of this in fiction include the movies "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and "The Wild Wild West".

Now to a primer on Steampunk Architecture (historic style):

For an idea of how a gothic building looks in this size, see the left main edifice in this italian metropolis:

Actually it's much too gothic. You see, the Gothic style of medieval cathedrals and abbeys gave way in the 1500's to the high roofed style exemplified in your English set(s). In the late 1700's and early 1800's there was a movement called "Gothic Revival" characterized by exaggerated pointed peaks on roofs, high pointy spires, arched windows, and ornate iron fences. Here's an excellent article about it: >Gothic Revival<

If you google Gothic Revival Architecture images you can see the style that I'd like to see in the smallest towns. This would be style of the first era and all villages. Some of the spookiest houses were actually a combination of Gothic Revival and Second Empire Styles with mansard-style roofs.

The mid-sized towns would, in the second to fourth eras, adopt the Victorian Style.
The Victorians kept the basic elements of the Gothic Revival (the spires, the ornate decoration) but changed the arched windows to square ones and rounded the towers. In some cases, they added piping. You can find good examples of this by googling Victorian Architecture

In the Cities of the third and fourth era, however, we want to move up to the Steampunk style. The Steampunk (fantasy-historic) style is a mixture of the Gothic Revival and Victorian style with yet another element - exaggerated iron lattices, and bridges - lots of iron bridges between buildings. You will also find lots of glass walls, domes and ceilings in the style made most popular by the famous Crystal Palace (which was perhaps the iconic architecture of its day). Examples of this kind of Ironwork are found in lots of Steampunk cities.

The Eiffel Tower is a good exemplar of Steampunk ironwork: 800px-France_Paris-Eiffel-Tower_2005.jpg

There are other "accidental" examples of Steampunk style in world architecture, including,

Warsaw's Palace of Culture and Science

and

The Bradbury Building, Los Angeles

I have a picture from the Bradbury as my desktop.

Here are some examples of fictional Steampunk Cities:

Steampunk city from The Golden Compass.

And here (for fun) are two Steampunk videos that feature cities:

The Mysterious Explorations of Jasper Morello

Link to video.

1884: Yesterday's Future

Link to video.

Finally, here's an example of the cities I tried (badly) to make, using your English sets and some Sim City buildings:

View attachment rEuro.pcx

Is that enough information?

Would this work for the centerpiece of the small town?

I could add another tower, or something else in the middle, so as to make it more interesting. The actual building is very easy to create.

Btw how many city sets would you be using? (since now you can have, as you know, less techs and more cities). And which of my cities are you already using? :)

That looks great; I like the pointy spire.

Unfortunately this is the only set of yours that I'm using (or will be using) in the Steampunk mod.

Our cultures are:

British (these are the steampunk cities)
Underground (cave cities) - Yorgos' Merfolk Cities recolored
Moon Races - Sim City Sci Fi Cities
Barsoom (Martian Races) - Cities from the old Alpha Centauri game
Pellucidar Races - in the Lost World we use Goldfool's African Cities

Of course, the British cities are the "home base" for the human player, so they are the most important...

I would like to suggest, if it has not already been done, a European city set that is made for the 1930AD to 1940AD time frame. If it is possible to make it such that the same set can be used for all 4 tech eras that would be even better. (i.e. all four sections of the city.pcx filled in with the same city set that does not change from one era to the next)

:)

4-era city sets would be nice. Bryce 6 lends itself very well for most modern buildings and it'd be so much nicer to have your sets in epic games rather than only in medieval and ancient mods. :)

4-era city sets would be nice. Bryce 6 lends itself very well for most modern buildings and it'd be so much nicer to have your sets in epic games rather than only in medieval and ancient mods. :)

Seconded.

A medieval Spanish set would be nice, though I think there is a more pressing need for the Steampunk set.

Cheers

Nick

Top Bottom