Dr kossin #19

Soirana showed me a BFC where copper spawned riverside when I had read once that it wasn't possible. Need to get my facts updated.

Well that may depend. There is a difference between copper being on a plot from the very start, and copper that randomly is DISCOVERED from working a mine.

I've seen copper on a river before IIRC and I think it arose this way.

Anyway, is there no guide for what spawns where, etc? I'm talking about GUARANTEED spawns. I think I have most the facts down from experience but there's a few issues I'm sure I'm a bit foggy on.

The tile at 1 NE is a grassland. If it is Copper, Horse, or Iron, you stand to lose all the bonus hammers because the tile will only have 1 hammer if you settle on it.

Now, plains with a resource is a different matter, as then you will at least get +1 bonus hammer for settling on the tile (it's essentially the same as a plains hill).

Start to Finish…

And boy, did I get a bit of a very annoying set-back just when I thought I was ready to roll over the world. Make that a lesson, with vassals involved, ANYTHING can happen, no matter how badly you think you have things easily wrapped up. :p
Spoiler :

Well, the start was rather poor for me. Ok, it wasn’t just poor, it really sucked. There really was hardly any food, and God did that hurt, as I was trying to run at least 1 engineer, which practically took FOREVER to just grow one pop that way. I tried to farm the :):):):) out of that starting spot. And God help the poor amateur who thinks he’s supposed to cottage his capital every game, LOL.

The production was very bad too. Boy, do I love having half my terrain as USELESS water-tiles that do not EVEN HAVE A SINGLE SEA-FOOD resource. Not even a bloody-Whale. Ughhh.

However, it did at least keep me on my toes, as I was forced to MICRO-MANAGE that capital every damn turn. I had to make every bloody hammer count since we really didn’t have the resources (npi).

I did win the StoneHenge, which I thought my odds were not going to be great, but maybe that’s cause I’m too used to deity. In fact, I managed quite well here, I grabbed the oracle too, which lead down to the Collosus, and etc. I kept building quite a bit, which was nice to know you can still do this on Immortal without Ind, or resources, or even a great production site.

It was a little upsetting to see once again, that my first neighbour I met, (Sitting Bull), has a capital with 3 great hills (two of them plains), has very long nice rivers and fresh water in his capital, with corn, and Bananas, and Gems, and copper, and etc… Ugh!!

At least he founded his other cities in some really bad places, so that’s a wash I guess.

Anyhow, I had a tuff decision here to make. IIRC I moved my initial settler, which did give me an added Silver, which gave me a MC-Gambit. It worked (only half-way). Because I had SH and The Oracle, this dropped me less than 50% for the E. However, it did allow me two shots at the gamble, so I figured why not. Unfortunately we had some bad luck, TWICE, and that was the end of Pyramids for us. Oh well, we’d just have to finish off our SE the old-fashioned way :p

I was a little pissed because I also had terrible luck with barbs. My first SoD of axemen (all fully promoted and healthy) ALL LOST against unpromoted barb archers on flat-land! Then I sent in a next wave, and the same :):):):) happened again!

I didn’t dare waste any more precious hammers until I got iron up and then sent in swords. Wouldn’t you know, my one sword wins, so I get him to CR II, and I make sure he doesn’t attack again until full strength just to be safe. Sure enough, he dies too! Arughhh..

Fast forward a bunch of nuisance, and eventually I took that barb city, and as impossible as it sounds, I took another barb city that was on a hill. Though I cheated a bit IIRC by waiting for some other sucker-AI to attack it first :p

I had some bad issues with religion. Everyone was sharing the same one on my continent! That was bad. Basically I couldn’t do anything to block all the insane tech trading going around, etc.

Eventually I did get a break, and Mr. Carthage decided to go out of his Budhist religion. Haha. I was able to bribe Mr. BurgerKing into a war with him just to try to stir something up. It was a very expensive deal for me, but there wans’t much else I could do with these religion rolls.

I also did a few things new in this game. First of all, I popped an Engineer the same turn I researched paper. I decided to rush UoS with it. I hate burning off engineers, but without Ind, or stone I was in a jam because my production wasn’t where I wanted it to be and there was a chance I’d be beat to it.

And what was very bizarre, due to me being friendly with BurgerKing, I ended up getting a tech that I never got before. I can’t even remember what it’s name is. The useless dead-end one that founds Islam? I noticed that the Shrine was not built yet, so I decided to accept it and go ahead on the shrine. By that point, my capital was in some decent production mode, and sure enough I completed that wonder too (amongst many of the others).

Well, what else to say… Ohh I was very upset to not find a damn source of horses ANYWHERE. So I decided to skip MT and instead go straight to rifling. Now for some bizarre reason, I found myself in a spot where I didn’t feel the need to use my UB during drafting. It just seemed Carthage was so out-dated with units, that I wouldn’t have to rush full-bore like in a deity. So I took it easy and mostly only drafted from my globe city. That way I could keep research way up.

Since Carthage was becoming very strong though, I decided to skip my plans on an SB invasion, and take down the Orange guy before the task would become much tuffer. I then made my second (or was it third war-deal now) to bringing in Mr. Burger King on my side yet again!

Well, it started easy enough, I took down city after city. I absolutely crushed his armies and kept advancing. I also kept checking if he would capitulate to me. I checked this statistic EVERY TURN.

Every turn it was the same answere, “But I am doing fine on my Own”. Hahahaah…. Surrreeee you are!!

And then, I get a very ugly notice that, the bastard vassaled to BurgerKing!

Ok what a cop out! I’m the one doing all the work, and he vassals to the other guy? I got no say in this what-so-ever. Ok so I’m just outside the capital, and suddenly all my units are warped off the terrain magically and end up somewhere else in my other cities at random? Ohhhhh great.

So now I have to DoW AGAIN, yet on both of them and spend many turns getting my units in position all over again!? Even if it literally kills me? And all this after I had just given all those military techs away to Charle just to get him on MY side? You got to be kidding me.

I had stacks of units that were now TRAPPED by impassible culture, without anything I could do about it. And all my nice captured cities were now stuck out of commision and just going through revolts. ******ed.

I then decided screw it… I’ll TRY to vassal SB now. Unfortunately, since all my armies were stuck trapped by culture, I had to assemble a whole new army all from scratch, and send those units ALL THE WAY to the East side just to attack SB.

Fast forward into the future, and FINALLY I have SB vassaled. I made sure no to bribe for help yet I get screwed over by the same broken-vassal mechanic yet again!!

After this I was forced to dig in and DoW on Charlie, letting him suicide hundreds of units against me. Yup, he had turned into a giant with his new vassal and was just spamming billions of them (and his vassal was doing all the teching it seems).

Needless to say, I had machine guns on fortified on hills. And these Drill IV guys soon became level 6 Mgs. And then they became Level 7 Mgs, and then they became…. Well you know the rest.

It is interesting to note, I was not charismatic, so you can imaging all the bloodshed that occurred. Unfortunately I had maxed out my promotions on my Mgs even still. After all, I had high level Mgs but with only 4 promotions. There was no point to using the Ambush since no one had tanks. And I had no point for taking Medic I, I already had medics. And did I want march on my MG? You gotta be kidding!

So sick, my Mgs had maxed out their promotions and all that gained exp was just pure wastage. Sheesh, I hate it when that happens. I wanted things like back in Vannila when you could go down the deeper Strength line, etc.

Oh well…

I continued to DoW on Burger King, slaughter his units, and then force him to give me a thousand bucks every 10 turns, just so I could DoW again and get another thousand bucks, haha. And of course I kept peeling off cities from him each time too.

Eventually we eliminated stupid Carthage, and finally I was able to vassal Burger King. Oddly enough, during his vassaling he gave me a Holy city out of the deal. I never thought the AI was allowed to do that. They seem to rather commit suicide than do it.

Then I DoW on Cyrus, and absolutely crush his whole army on turn #1 of the war.

Turn #2 he is willing to talk (IIRC), but won’t capit for some stupid reason. I think it’s cause he may have pinged off a worker on my border, so now he got a single kill on me, he THINKS he is winning the war. Ahahahhah!

So I move in front of his capital and another city to take.

Well, suddenly he wants to capitulate again. But the problem for him is, now that he made me waste another turn moving in position, I might as well capture his capital and another city for the hell of it.

So I take the capital with ease. Then suddenly he refuses to talk to me again.

Ahahaha! Firaxis is so funny. Who the hell codes this Sh*t anyway?

So then I decide, screw it, I’ll just finish him off like I did Carthage.

Then I find out it doesn’t matter, cause I won an AP diplo victory.

Huh? I thought I had too many votes to count for winning an AP here. My vote count dwarfed everyone else. But I’m not complaining!

GG. Unfortunately what was going to be a quick and early victory-romp turned into something else with this vassal nonsense, but we recuperated anyhow. A lot of my AW experience seems to still pay off sometimes in regular games.

Round 1

I settled in place as was discussed. The risks of settling on a resource by going NE were quite high and there would be no city tile bonus for doing so.
Spoiler :

As it turns out, SE would have been very strong as well. Oh well...
Spoiler :

Research was Hunting>AH>BW>Ag>...

I was met early by the spoiled Sitting Bull...
Spoiler :

And then more leaders also show up.
Spoiler :

Religious strife will be high as Hannibal founded Hinduism and Charlemagne Buddhism.

My second city was settled to work the silver as well as sheep and corn. Moreover, it was a good thing not to settle NE:
Spoiler :

And then I met another AI!
Spoiler :

That's 5 of us on this continent, meaning the other continent will only have 2 people (unless the other continent is split in half) which will likely be backwards unless diplo favors trading in between them.

Some spare hammers were dumped into Stonehenge while cities grew (enough Axes had been built... very few barbs showed up).
Spoiler :
That's pretty darn late for SH on Immortal!

Cyrus felt generous and gave me a free diplo booster.
Spoiler :
Sure, take it!

I stopped unexpectedly shortly after but things are pretty clear as to how to proceed from here.

Techs
Spoiler :

Diplo - Every AI except Charlemagne is Hindu... the religion hasn't spread to me yet.
Spoiler :

Land - this is pretty good land in my opinion, for a Continents map.
Spoiler :
I'll start building the last settler for the GP farm next turn.
Antioch was settled sooner than I wanted to as Hannibal was bringing in a settler party.

I have a settler sitting on top of the resources marker and a Woodsman II warrior checking if a settler party is incoming. The city could work the corn after a border pop but it'd be a drag financially so I haven't settled it yet.

There's also another settler 4 turns away from the wine/copper/pig/fish spot.

The plan is pretty simple from here... trade myself up to parity with Aesthetics then gun for Currency.

I'll likely join the Hindu group and try to turn things against Charlemagne while I go tech peacefully... or try to nab some cities from him ;)

In other news, I have to get a NEW mouse, this one is bugged! It double-triple clicks by itself and I had to reload several times to undo weird things it did to my game.

Round 2a

We start the round with a pretty wide empire and a weak economy (I was losing gold at 0% for a few turns).

On the bright side, trades are now possible so I start dealing left and right...
Spoiler :

Poor SB... always so backwards.
Spoiler :

Charlemagne eventually brought his settler party where my settler had been idling for a while... too late, this spot's taken!
Spoiler :

On the news front, Hannibal DoWs someone...
Spoiler :
But not Charlemagne his worst enemy... poor ol' Sitting Bull.

I know trading for small techs isn't recommended but I was needing it and didn't want to spare the beakers for it.
Spoiler :

The first GS was settled... probably not in the right place but that's okay.
Spoiler :

I send SB's iron city in revolt... not that it ever did again. It is quite safe as we now speak.
Spoiler :

A few more trades with Hannibal...
Spoiler :

Failure gold...
Spoiler :
410!

Another trade that was available... having mostly farms and mines in cities makes whipping often a good idea. Whipping with a forge is an even better idea.
Spoiler :

I decided to use a tactic that's getting more and more talks in the forum... settle an icy city and gift it for easy diplo bonuses. Especially with Imperialistic, this is a pretty easy bonus.
Spoiler :
The city has 1 fur in its BFC and almost exclusively ice... enjoy!

Trades for gold.
Spoiler :

I did the city gift again, but to Hannibal this time. It adds border pressure with Charlemagne as a side bonus.
Spoiler :

More trades...
Spoiler :

After a whipping all the basic infra, I switched Adrianople over to cottages and built the Palace there. The next GS made an Academy there.
Spoiler :

I accepted this request by Charlemagne.
Spoiler :

I was running a different religion and he was Annoyed at me. I didn't want to spare hammers to defend myself so this is the cheapest way to do so. He went to Cautious after that. Also you can see I'm his Worst Enemy on the scoreboard.

Through manual research, I am actually first at Philosophy (what's up with these AIs?).
Spoiler :
660AD seriously? I even double-checked to see this was really Immortal.

Also strange... I had been avoiding this path since I had no marble but still... available.
Spoiler :
740AD???

All this time I'm slowly teching towards Liberalism and doing trades along the way.
Spoiler :

Continued in next post...

Round 2b

I'd previously spawned a Great Engineer with no direct need of him... so I sent him to work on Taj Mahal for my first Golden Age.
Spoiler :

I had considered using the Engineer for rushing Oxford University but it'll be finished before the Golden Age ends anyway.

As things now are, I'm 1 turn away from Liberalism and can pick Military Tradition as freebie.
Why?

Horses are pretty cheap:
Spoiler :

Techs
Spoiler :

Diplomacy - Hannibal is in war mode and has only 2 targets...
Spoiler :
SB or Charley?

Land...
Hannibal
Spoiler :

Charlemagne
Spoiler :

Cyrus
Spoiler :

SB
Spoiler :

Here's my plan:

Lib -> MT for Cuirassiers... take over Hannibal, then Charlemagne, then Cyrus (while teching to Cavalry) and finish off with Sitting Bull (his land is bad...)

Maybe Cyrus before Charlemagne because of his tech rate.

The game will just about be over then... complete domination of this continent should give me map domination I think. Worst case scenario, I build a few boats and go kill whoever's the backward sap out there.

pretty good going,
but copper can spawn riverside (not popped lucky in a mine) as part of the normalization.

The AI tech pace is probably slow since the other two either a) have no contact; b) aren't friendly; or c) don't include Mansa. Take your pick, but in any event your only tech opponents are your direct neighbors :)

Round 3

Continuing from last round, I start with a trade with Charlemagne.
Spoiler :
It's on the way to Guilds for better Workshops and eventually Rifling.

Next turn I take Liberalism -> Military Tradition
Spoiler :

I take some trades to further accelerate the start of the war...
Spoiler :

I get my horses...

While I avoided Economics this time (I was too far behind in the race), I did farm a Great Merchant for a trade mission.
Spoiler :
1700 gold

Hannibal circled the globe first and Cyrus was also working on it as from the map he gave me I found out who was overseas...
Spoiler :
Shaka and Montezuma.... well that explains quite a few things!
They've probably been fighting each other for Sid knows how long.

Once Rifling is in, I upgrade my Cuirassiers.
Spoiler :

Since Hannibal declared war on Charlemagne, his cities fall easily.
Spoiler :

Montezuma sends a Caravel by and says hi:
Spoiler :

The moment he was eliminated from the game, Charlemagne has a few stacks sitting around, so I instantly declare war to get rid of those. I pondered for a second before doing this as I Hannibal's cities weren't out of revolt yet and I wouldn't have horses for a few turns. Instead cities built Levees/Jails and a few rifles before resuming *Cavalry.

I take all his cities but he has a lot of units (as usual) and it takes a little while to kill him off.
Spoiler :

Next on the menu is Cyrus who went for Grenadiers but Rifling all game long...
Spoiler :

Once he's dead (it was short actually), I send everything south and attack Sitting Bull...
Spoiler :

I meet Shaka - he didn't send any unit over. Strangely enough, I didn't build any boats this game, just a few workboats. How?
Spoiler :
I focused espionage on Montezuma and I finally got visibility = contact with Shaka.

Sitting Bull is dead a few turns after the start of the war.
Spoiler :

I research to Communism (maintenance was a killer) then up the culture slider as I owned the entire continent... domination triggers.
Spoiler :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Post game

Another easy one. There was a lot of land up for grabs (and to deny others, especially Charlemagne) and it was pretty good with a lot of varied resources. I wouldn't have wanted to be in Montezuma or Shaka's shoes... that would have been quite a different game!

The game by numbers:
Spoiler :

I lost 57 units all game long... can't be bothered to count how many I killed. I built 8 cottages, all the others were captured.

Top 5 cities and wonders
Spoiler :
I don't know how Montezuma found the spare hammers to build those... anyway, everything else was under my control.

Next game (20 already!) starts tomorrow, keep reading.

Cav stomp! Went a little better than my rifle draft spree. I didn't realize we'd win domination that way. I'm not complaining though. It took a while to prep it, but taking monty/shaka's cities was very, very easy once that war started.

@obsolete
I didn't find the food that bad in the capital. I settled in place and the lighthouse+lake and farms made growing relatively painless. Nice war on Charlie... I need to use MGs more often.

@shyuhe
Little good that did him :)

@TMIT
Nice game, did you try to get the gold city spot or didn't see it? As usual, you handle nuke wars very very well (I need more practice with that).

RNG really did weird things in the 3 games.

Actually, the only reason I didn't get the gold city was that it was barb-blocked by a city very early, and the AI beat me to taking it easily.

Top Bottom