Dr kossin #21 (Deity)

Eh, I wouldn't backstab Boudica. She will have a huge stack of highly promoted troops, she is not a backstabber, and you can probably bribe her into war with Rags to keep everyone else busy for you.

Darius is super peaceful though - you might want to take _him_ out so he doesn't either voluntarily vassalize to Ragnar or some BS.

Nicely played. Unless the 10 turns of forced peace are in place, I suspect that Boudica is preparing to finish off honest Abe. Willem really gave you some excellent land.

Actually, he mentioned that Lincoln Capitulated to Boudica, so I don't think she has any intentions on finishing him off.

Nice game so far, very informative too. I like the move up to deity, having followed a few of the immortal dr kossin games, it seemed like they were too much of a walkover. Great to see a detailed account of someone actually competing on deity.

Nicely played. Unless the 10 turns of forced peace are in place, I suspect that Boudica is preparing to finish off honest Abe. Willem really gave you some excellent land.
Actually, he mentioned that Lincoln Capitulated to Boudica, so I don't think she has any intentions on finishing him off.
Aaroc is correct. Lincoln conceded capitulation the turn after I joined the bogus war.

A look at the Diplomacy screen shows us she's more likely to ship troops over to Darius I think - her worst enemy and possibly weaker than Lincoln.

Eh, I wouldn't backstab Boudica. She will have a huge stack of highly promoted troops, she is not a backstabber, and you can probably bribe her into war with Rags to keep everyone else busy for you.

Darius is super peaceful though - you might want to take _him_ out so he doesn't either voluntarily vassalize to Ragnar or some BS.
The idea of backstabbing her is she lacks Rifling for now and I have 1.23 power ratio with her. Considering the AI keeps a high percentage of their troops as city garrison, this means my mobile army is HUGE compared to hers. This would also allow me to get rid of Lincoln's pesky culture.

Of course, I'm not ready to strike right away so she could get Rifling by then - by which point I will have Assembly Line, Artillery and 9 cities on her.

It may be smarter to let the AI throw their weight around while I tech ahead and then come back for their heads around Bombers... or just go for Space. I'll be at 1500bpt very soon and with Factories coming in, I can sustain 100% research easily.

I would like to try for a militaristic approach as I've never done it on Deity. Moreover, wiping Boudica and Lincoln from the Continent will almost give me Domination - I'll need about another 10% land.

This is brilliant, thanks Kossin!

Pleasure!

Nice game so far, very informative too. I like the move up to deity, having followed a few of the immortal dr kossin games, it seemed like they were too much of a walkover. Great to see a detailed account of someone actually competing on deity.

To be honest, I was starting to get bored on Immortal so the move to Deity has certainly put the spice back in the game for me.
There are some much more thorough Deity walkthroughs around on the boards if you're interested. For example, Dirk did an excellent Hammurabi walkthrough that goes much more in depth with the details that I can.

~~~

I'm not sure what to do with Willem right now. If I vassal him, I will take some a small diplo hit with some of the leaders. If I don't vassal him, he will no doubt peacefully vassal to Boudica and trade away all he knows.
He has a bunch of Frigates and East Indiamen running around so getting Galleons out to go after him doesn't seem too realistic.
I think I'll stay at war another turn or two to try and get Assembly Line in the capitulation deal. Motherland unhappiness isn't a trifle (about 5:mad: in the bigger cities) and I won't be able to draft from his cities for a while (10% culture).
Still, he may have some room to get 1~2 more cities and contribute on research a bit.

Willem can't trade all he knows to her.. if i remember correctly only the master gives freebie tech to the subdued ones.

Very good control.. although I expected that you'd have settled next to the peaks to totally block the Americans.
The game is over, kill boudica, and leave a single city of Lincoln not to be considered close to land target and you are set for space.

Willem can't trade all he knows to her.. if i remember correctly only the master gives freebie tech to the subdued ones.

Very good control.. although I expected that you'd have settled next to the peaks to totally block the Americans.
The game is over, kill boudica, and leave a single city of Lincoln not to be considered close to land target and you are set for space.
What I meant about Willem trades is she'll be able to trade for whatever he has (he's actually quite advanced), not that he'll give her everything, sorry for lack of clarification.

Settling the mountain pass was my initial goal. But I got there a few turns late otherwise it's an easy block. It turned out ok though as having border contact made him Boudica's target. Maybe she might have stomped on Willem otherwise, which would also have been okay.

I'll probably move on Boudica soon.

You razed Groningen? But that is where I live. :(
Guess you're due for relocation :D

A few questions Kossin

Purposefully losing shwedegon and sankore, is the gold:hammer ratio higher this way than just building wealth for the same amount of turns?

I'm impressed how quickly you got that army of cannons/rifles together. How did you address happiness problems with all that drafting/whipping combined with DoW weariness? Civic Switch? I'd check your save but I'm stuck on patch 3.03 on this pc.

Looking forward to the demise of the Celtic Harlot =]

A few questions Kossin

Purposefully losing shwedegon and sankore, is the gold:hammer ratio higher this way than just building wealth for the same amount of turns?

I'm impressed how quickly you got that army of cannons/rifles together. How did you address happiness problems with all that drafting/whipping combined with DoW weariness? Civic Switch? I'd check your save but I'm stuck on patch 3.03 on this pc.

Looking forward to the demise of the Celtic Harlot =]
Aztec whips take 5 turns to wear off... meaning you can pretty much whip non-stop with mostly farms which was the city specialization outside the capital at that time. Drafts were almost exclusively from the Globe Theater city.
As for war weariness, there was almost none as I lost so few units. Trading for happy resources overseas helped after some time though.

Wonder failure gold: you get a better investment in hammers if you are Industrious or have the multiplying resource or in Organized Religion. It's also helpful before you can build wealth even if you don't have any of the multipliers... it can take you out of a sticky situation.

~~~

I've just finished the game and will post the update as soon as I'm done writing it.

Round 5

City specialization: The cities that had the most cottages got to keep them to provide research/gold. The rest was workshops/windmills/watermills. This gave me tremendous production to overwhelm the Deity bonuses... combined with the fact that I had a LOT of cities.

I took a peek at Boudica's stacks. Still pretty weak but a lot of units. It shouldn't be too hard to kill, right?
Spoiler :

After an extra turn of research, Willem accepted Capitulation and Assembly Line for his life. Capitulation helped me trade a bit as I had hit the trading limit with several AIs.
Spoiler :

As I thought, Boudica declared war on Darius. She would spend most of her time taking his offshore islands though.
Spoiler :

I thought I'd give Darius a little helping hand with Rifling.
Spoiler :

But he vassaled to her very soon even though she never touched his mainland!
Spoiler :

As for my own invasion plans on the Celts, Boudica got Machine Guns very early in the round and then Rifling. Thus, I delayed the war a bit while researching Artillery, Radio and Flight. I didn't want a fair fight...

Overseas, Sitting Bull actually vassaled Ragnar.
Spoiler :

I did build a few Wonders, notably Cristo Redentor in Zhou - the barb city that I turned into my Ironworks city. It ended up having over 200 end hammers every turn.
Spoiler :

A hundred years after capitulating, Ragnar broke free... good good. You can also see one of the stacks I was building up. I started with 2 stacks of 80 units each and eventually wound up with 4~5 stacks.
Spoiler :

After I finished researching Industrialism for Tanks of my own, I switched to Vassalage to have better units. I also took the opportunity to finally declare war on Boudica (0.97 of her power).
Spoiler :

Next turn, Ragnar is willing to distract Darius for me, but at a price.
Spoiler :

War tactic: Move stack next to a city while raining down the garrison with Bombers (8 in each city close enough to the action as well as a few forts). Collateral with Artillery then mop up with Infantry/Anti-Tanks. Later on Tanks would start taking cities by themselves.

My stacks were large enough and Boudi distracted enough that they were never really attacked even in the open. I did have to clear some random troops she sent in my territory, but that wasn't hard with Bombers.

I won't bother posting a complete list of city takeovers/dates as that's pretty much all there was to it.

Here are some of the first cities I took:
Spoiler :

11 turns in the war, and she lost half of her power while mine keeps raising fast.
Spoiler :

After taking 2 of Lincoln's cities, he's willing to bend the knee (he broke free from Boudica when her power dwindled).
Spoiler :

Bibracte falls in 1826AD, 14 turns into the war.
Spoiler :

I let Boudica eliminate Willem as that removed the motherland happiness issues.

I take her last mainland city next turn but she won't capitulate (Darius is still her vassal) so I take peace and a city.
Spoiler :

Of course, Darius broke free the very next turn...
I had some spare hammers so I built TGD to help with :yuck: issues...
Spoiler :

And what do you know... Ragnar builds the U.N.
Spoiler :

With Lincoln's vote, I vote myself to a DiplomaticDiplomation Victory.
Spoiler :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Post game

Whoo! What a fun game. I love playing as Monty... hadn't played him for a while.... last solo time was an Emperor game.

A look at the top 5 cities and wonders.
Spoiler :
I only built 2 of those...

Demographics
Spoiler :
There wasn't really any doubt that I'd win... Ragnar was semi-trying to go Culture it seems but he needed like 100 more turns

Power graph - last 100 turns
Spoiler :
Game over...

Statistics
Spoiler :

Didn't built that many units actually. I upgraded the veterans from the Dutch war which made a stack by themselves.

Had to kill a lot of Infantry.

Kill:loss ratio is pretty good if you ask me.

This was the most fun DR game I've played in a while. Deity certainly adds something to the game but it really takes longer to play for me, especially on a war heavy approach like I took.

The next game should start up tomorrow, head to the Bullpen if you have ideas to share, comments, want to help in selecting the next map or whatever else you'd like to do.

Hope it was as fun reading as it was playing for me!

I've included the last auto-save if anyone's interested.

Great game, looking forwards to the next one. I've always wanted to see a deity space victory, wondering how its done and what tricks are used to get there as rediculously fast a necessary.

Impressive win! Seems like you had a couple bones thrown your way diplomatically with Lincoln picking a different religion than Boudica, and SB keeping Ragnar off your continent's back. I always try to win Boud's affection because she's made a pretty good ally in the past, but in my games her power always wanes midgame, usually because she ends up with a minority religion, pisses off the majority and ends up capitulating after a few captured cities :rolleyes:

>The land beyond Willem... why didn't I head over there

I don't see how you could settle cities on the other side of william and not get killed by city upkeep.

Am I missing Something?

>The land beyond Willem... why didn't I head over there

I don't see how you could settle cities on the other side of william and not get killed by city upkeep.

Am I missing Something?

With 2 trade routes (after Currency) and a few cottages, cities would have paid for themselves within 30 turns and it would also have made the fight against Willem a lot shorter!

With 2 trade routes (after Currency) and a few cottages, cities would have paid for themselves within 30 turns and it would also have made the fight against Willem a lot shorter!

I thought that your win looked pretty convincing in the reports (congrats!). 6/7 cities can be a good number to balance tech with production for renaissance/early industrial war. Agree that taking land beyond Willem looks like an alternative viable route, though you would be competing with a Creative rexer, and the extra maintenance could hurt at least for a considerable time (the jungle wouldn't help).

Top Bottom