Feedback thread

Comment & Question

Comment: Finally got vers. 13 downloaded and everything is playing fine. In fact I noticed that when leaving a game (I play via Steam) that it shuts down much faster than say Orbis which practically locks my system up saving. However I notice that unless I bee-line almost nothing else but the techs necessary to found the Voice of Planet, some other Civ does.

That seems odd that:
A. The AI of a faction such as the Hive would research nothing but what gives them the VoP.
B. The AI goes that heavy along one track at all. I know different Civs/factions in most Mods tend to go for certain techs, but lately I've it seems in many mods that the AI will go for certain techs and completely ignore some pretty vital early techs. (So far I haven't played enough Planetfall to see if this is a big problem or not) I know it is good to get certain techs that unlock Wonders or a religion but it also seems that it can unbalance a Faction against someone like the Lord's Believers who like to spam flame-throwers and thus are often a significant early game threat.

Question: Is there any reason why one can't use the AC Special Project movies if one has them from the original game?

I wondered about that; I would have thought there would be some sort of converter out there. :twitch:

There is. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. It works for other people though. The attached converter can convert from wve to avi. Then Bink and Smacker RAD Video Tools can be used to convert from avi to bik.

Attachments

• wcmv_1_2a.zip
    316.3 KB · Views: 112
Do you guys plan to add anymore civs to the game? Or is 11 the cap? I would like to see 4 or 5 more come in. Maybe 2-3 more choosable from the start, and the others come in much like the minor civs. Allowing a pretty full map on huge. But mostly the 2-3 from the start would be nice.

Actually while it isn't original AC or AC:AC, I was thinking it might be nice to have some different leaders for the different factions with different traits.

I mean you can see a Hive that tends more toward isolationism than aggression as well as a Gaian leader much more of a crusader attacking terraforming Civs. Just playing the same leader over and over again with a Civ gets a bit boring compared to vanilla Civ and most mods where you have various leaders per faction.

Do you guys plan to add anymore civs to the game? Or is 11 the cap? I would like to see 4 or 5 more come in. Maybe 2-3 more choosable from the start, and the others come in much like the minor civs. Allowing a pretty full map on huge. But mostly the 2-3 from the start would be nice.

I'd agree that this could be a good ideas. (Coming up with new factions does seem a popular activity for Alpha Centauri players, and certainly there are a bunch wondering around various forums, so it certainly could be done.)

Two more are planned - the Alien races (where BTW good ideas are welcome - I have outlined my thoughts a few posts above, feedback is appreciated :) ). Anything else would leave SMAC/AX ground and is therefore unlikely. But I think an even bigger problem is to come up with different "themes" for such new factions - just repeating or rearranging what is there devalues any addition. A part of the Add-On factions already slightly suffers from that problem (while Pirates, Drones and Angels are still pretty unique, the Consciousness is rather similar to the University, Cha Dawn is a more aggressive Deidre and the Aliens... H'minee might have potential for being something new, but Marr is at least technically another "green" player)

arkham4269 said:
Actually while it isn't original AC or AC:AC, I was thinking it might be nice to have some different leaders for the different factions with different traits.

I mean you can see a Hive that tends more toward isolationism than aggression as well as a Gaian leader much more of a crusader attacking terraforming Civs. Just playing the same leader over and over again with a Civ gets a bit boring compared to vanilla Civ and most mods where you have various leaders per faction.

For the Gaians we will actually get this - Cha Dawn is planned to become the Gaians 2nd leader. For the other factions, first it would be necessary to come up with an idea for a theme and name, then with a sufficient LH and then with a really different implementation to make the additon fun.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to shoot down any ideas before they get expressed...it is just that I think the limited deveopment ressources (just have a look at the TO-DO-list!) for Planetfall should go into the existing factions, the planned Aliens and in improving the AI, before even more stuff gets added.

In some respects I think the Free Drones should arise from some form of rebellion as how it was in AC:AC. That way ignoring :mad: would be a bad, bad thing.

I see Marr's favored civic is already Poloce state but I think this game might actually benefit more from a full favorite government system or partial. So that the AI has favorite civics and hates ones, plural. For instance H'minee would hate both terra and hybrid governments and only like followers of biodomes. Marr would be indifferent to biodomes, love hybrids, and hate terras. So the aliens will both hate terras, logically.

Past that I don't have much to add as I didn't ever get to play SMAC really as I could never find it in stores. Actually, it is "the one that got away" when I was on my Civ 2 kick. I saw it out at EB for 10 bucks about a year after it came out and had to wait till friday to get it.. was only like 2 days. (I was like 14 or 15 then I think.) Me and my mom went to go back and get it and it was gone. I didn't ever see it again until a couple years back I looked it up online and found it on amazon but never bought in fear that I may not appreciate it as much nowadays. Same reason I have never really played starcraft almost. I fear some nestalgia is in order for these games but maybe I am wrong. It just feels wierd paying 20 bucks for a game that is older than my tween neice.

At any rate I am in no position to pick it up anytime soon but am very interested in learning the lore. Which is a big thing for me as I don't care about the lore in strategy games I play generally. If anyone knows of a good place to learn the lore here, I would appreciate it and would even type up some more datalinks for some stuff in my spare time based off of it. I don't know who any of the people in this game are outside of what is provided to me. Cha Dawn is a total myster to me. Mar and H'minee are just names weird looking guys in the civilopedia. So any help is appreciated.

At any rate I am in no position to pick it up anytime soon but am very interested in learning the lore. Which is a big thing for me as I don't care about the lore in strategy games I play generally. If anyone knows of a good place to learn the lore here, I would appreciate it and would even type up some more datalinks for some stuff in my spare time based off of it. I don't know who any of the people in this game are outside of what is provided to me. Cha Dawn is a total myster to me. Mar and H'minee are just names weird looking guys in the civilopedia. So any help is appreciated.

Apolyton has a nice SMAC section:

http://apolyton.net/smac/

-----

Two issues with v13b:

1. It seems that the AI still don't jugde the Fundamentalism civic right, they still go mainly for Democracy, a few PS - even Miriam didn't bother going for Fundi ever, instead she waited until Democracy showed up :rolleyes: . Of course the reason could be in theory that Fundi is still too weak (and Democracy too strong), but I doubt that. Fundamentalism has got a boost, Democracy has traded a very universal, early-to-use benefit for something which will pay out later (you often struggle to get one religion, means it will tak time to get a second) eventually. That should at least have had some impact. Attached are two saves (in the 2289er, end turn to see Miri switch into Demo) - I just suspect that the AIs somehow don't calculate the extra benefit of double state religion.

2. The new PC setup with expansion factions and the Spartans needing to get invited needs work for the case that one of those factions builds the council. In my game I was the lucky one, playing Santiago. So what happened?

a) I was nominated as governor candidate after finishing the PC. Still makes sense, because how it should be justified that I cannot access a council I have set up? I see no alternative to making an exception to the rule here.
b) Surprisingly Svensgaard was my opponent. You can still argue that an outlaw faction does not a care for keeping out other "outlaws", but then it would be
at least more fun, if you could make your choice. Also here, he was the legal candiate...
c) When the vote result was published, Roze voted - that's even more of a deviation from the initial rule.
d) No one else voted. Might mean that the delayed-vote-bug is still in place.

I have attached a picture showing the result and a save from right before completition of the PC.

Attachments

• SMAXfactionsvoteforPC.jpg
    SMAXfactionsvoteforPC.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 145
  • PF-13b-saves.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Fundamentalism is probably the only civic I use (it prevents unhappiness from other religions and fights against culture from other people's good planet attitude). It's OK if the AI doesn't value it like I do.:D
I note that Maniac fixed the free civic switch with building the Planetary Council if you do anything other than a member/nonmember switch. But I still don't get to vote the first round because other players after me (Sven, Roze and Domai being them usually) get the choice to switch and THAT'S the time when the first vote gets tallied.
Maybe switching the vote to the 2nd turn after the Council is built will solve this problem (by then everybody would have chosen to join or not).

Has anyone managed to get the whole, "morph into fungal tower" or whatever it is to work? What is the process supposed to be like?

Also, why is the Hive the only faction that can EVER have a rocky base tile? I would say, for example, that it would be balanced for the Power civic option to have the effect "new bases founded while under the effect of the Power civic do not remove rockiness from their squares."

Also, it is REALLY REALLY hard to get the flowering counter up to 100. I mean it is even hard to do WITH THE MAP EDITOR (well, assuming you want to do it legally, ie, having fungus spread only where it *can legally* spread, without completely futzing up the terrain underneath. The flowering counter going up should be muuuch easier... I'm thinking maybe a sea version of hybrid forests would help a lot, even if it wasn't "as good" as the land version?

Also is there ANY way to play as Roze, or Aki Zeta, or Svensgaard?

Also, I really miss the Recycling Tanks and the Virtual World. I looked at the existing Virtual World option (the disabled one), and that looks a bit too powerful, but surely we can get some version of it in the game?

In the late game, shouldn't hybrid forests be, uh, much much more productive than they are now? Terraformers are just too badass, lategame Hybrids should be able to give them a run for their money, as terraformers give a VERY strong early game, and lategame should be more powerful than an early game bonus... I made a thread saying something to this effect, mostly saying about how the planet resources should be more commonly popping in worked Commune squares, but I think that just letting transcends "pop" one of those same resources when they are on a commune/fungus or commune/hybrid square would work just as well.

To me it is TOTALLY WEIRD that exactly one "bonus that provides a resource" improvement both cannot allow a hybrid forest or fungus under it *AND* does not lower the base's planet affinity -- the Helium 3 well. Can we please be able to pump a fungused or hybrid forested He-3 well, for consistency's sake?

...out of curiosity: How did I manage to get thrown *out* of the council? I was playing University, Morgan built the council, so I was asked to switch to the Member civic, but didn't get to vote for the Planetary Governor. A couple of turns later, I still don't see any votes, so I check my civics - it's non-member... and I can't switch to member.

So how did I manage to get thrown out? :confused:

Cheers, LT.

Gavinfoxx said:
Has anyone managed to get the whole, "morph into fungal tower" or whatever it is to work? What is the process supposed to be like?

This is currently kind of disabled by taking a millions turns on purpose - it is open whether this feature is kept in future.

Gavinfoxx said:
Also, why is the Hive the only faction that can EVER have a rocky base tile? I would say, for example, that it would be balanced for the Power civic option to have the effect "new bases founded while under the effect of the Power civic do not remove rockiness from their squares."

I linked in another thread to the patch which brought faction-specific abilities - the Hive should be thought of having subterrain bases, so rocky terrain above is touched.
I think it is a fine unique ability, also I don't understand your connecting to the Power civic - beside I sea no flavor connecting, Power is already strong enough as it is, IMO.

Gavinfoxx said:
Also, it is REALLY REALLY hard to get the flowering counter up to 100

I share that experience. I wonder if any one has ever reached that?

Gavinfoxx said:
Also is there ANY way to play as Roze, or Aki Zeta, or Svensgaard?

Unless you do some very easy XML modding (Maniac explained which tag has to be changed in post #243 of this thread) yourself, not yet. Be warned though, there might be still issues left to be cleared - otherwise I'm sure Maniac would have already enabled them by default.

Is the "better BtS AI" "Mod" integrated in Platettfall?!?!

Yes:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8898434#post8898434

1. Updated to Better AI 84, by jdog5000.

If anyone knows of a good place to learn the lore here, I would appreciate it and would even type up some more datalinks for some stuff in my spare time based off of it.

The Journey to Centauri story is included in the Planetfall download. You can listen to all the voice quotes. That leaves the interludes. Perhaps you can ask someone to attach the interlude files.

So how did I manage to get thrown out? :confused:

The offer council seat thingie had a bug. I have prepared a patch, but I again can't access the FTP...

Anyone else having the impression that sucessful espionage is impossible with the new patch? I tried two times to conduct a mission vs. Zhakarov and in both cases my Probe Team was killed by a military unit right after crossing the border in the next interturn. What makes me suspicious is not that I failed two times in a row, but the fact that I didn't spotted a defensive Probe Team from Zhak in both cases. Of course he could have moved one around during the turn and I do not know (because of losing the LOS for Probe Teams after mine was killed), but is the AI really capable of such a strategy? Moreover I checked with the WB and could not find a single PT for Zhak.

Attached is the save...just end turn and my Probe Team gets destroyed.

Attachments

• PTgetskilled.CivBeyondSwordSave
    511 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom