Dr kossin #25

Drafted Oromo's under theo are at D3 with an extra FS, and immune to FS as well, I don't know any reason to contemplate cuirassiers, since even poor land can be highly productive under nationhood, especially considering your 5 happy resources. There's the added bonus of D3 rifles down the line as well.

Yeah Oromo's are really something. I recall taking on cavalry and rifles from Gilgamesh when I had lots of drafted Oromo's and cannons. Granted, warring like that is rather crude since the Oromo's are not really all that in defending the stacks so the war was costly but it was not that bad overall considering the disadvantage I had. After upgrades the Oromo is just downright scary with drill IV...

Hmm, I dont think the land is bad but.. it seems your weakness shows up again, bad exploring.
The land south/west of the captured city looks uncontested.

Alright, I've been quite busy for the last few days and will be until Monday.

Unfortunately that means I can't guarantee any more rounds until next week.

Maybe a 10 turn round can be managed but it's bound to be boring... we'll see.

Have to agree that this series is an excellent read comparable to epic games played at diety and Sid in Civ 3. (I still read those.)

Are we allowed to heckle?
Sure!

Paging Dr. Kossin to the operating room please!
Reporting!

Quick, Zara has gone into cardiac arrest! Dr. Kossin, get the defribillators out!
Eek! Real life is dangerous...

ahhh! :eek:

Anyway I'll be looking forward to the next update. I forgot to subscribe for some strange reason. :crazyeye:
It should be up in a few minutes. Screenshots are uploading as I write this.

Have to agree that this series is an excellent read comparable to epic games played at diety and Sid in Civ 3. (I still read those.)
Thank you much.

I never was able to stand Civ 3. Corruption remove all fun for me.
Corruption was pretty nasty in Civ 3... I modded the game severely to make it more fun for myself. In any case, I was never very good at it, I think I beat Warlord difficulty once.

Round 2

After a rather long break due to RL, I got back in the game.

I set myself to explore more, west and south of Toku.

As you might/or not/ remember from last round, Tokugawa was in war mode and was shipping units west. It was only a matter of time before he declared war, as predicted on Wang Kon.
Spoiler :

Since he's such a tough nut to please, I decided to side with him in this war. I'd rather keep him happy and lose my friendship with a small AI that's stuck and unable to reach me.
Spoiler :

Unfortunately that means I've been unable to explore WK's territory. There might be an AI close to him that I won't meet for a long time because of this.

By 225BC, Music was completed and thankfully, the Great Artist was Ethiopia's. I set him to rest until further notice.
Spoiler :

I'm pretty sure Tokugawa was researching Aesthetics so I took what I could get for it. It allowed me to put hammers in Shwedago Paya as well.
Spoiler :

Exploration south of Tokugawa paid off, as I was able to capture a nice barbarian city. The real payoff, however, is I managed to get an Axe to 10 exp, unlocking the Heroic Epic.
Spoiler :

My next worry was to get Ragnar Pleased with me. To achieve this, I gifted him techs up to Music. It has several pluses and minuses, notably: tech trades, less chances to be a target (game over at this point given his size and power), adds to the possibility that the Sistine Chapel will be built on this landmass thus slowing AI culture overseas.
Spoiler :
He got up to Pleased upon gifting.

You might have noticed my economy was a bit frail. Fortunately, failure gold goes a long way.
Spoiler :
152 gold for trading Aesthetics to Tokugawa.

Tokugawa finally came around to ask the big question. I answered, "I do", of course.
Spoiler :

Currency was unknown to everyone so it was the logical tech to pursue. I went into a trading fest upon finishing it. Code of Laws was next, still unknown to Tokugawa.
Spoiler :

As research was set on Civil Service, I noticed religions weren't going very fast. What's up with the oversea AIs??
Spoiler :

It founded Taoism in a great location, helping with culture fight.

I finally made it to Nidaros and I'm pretty glad to be on Ragnar's good side to say the least. You can't see it here but he has gold in his BFC and another just outside. He has pretty good land which explains his early tech rate.
Spoiler :

Failure gold does not come only from World Wonders. National wonders are fair game too.
Spoiler :

As Civil Service was about to complete, Ragnar culture bombed his city next to the Taoist holy city, making it a bit useless. I didn't bomb it back as I wanted to keep the artist for a Golden Age.
Spoiler :

Tokugawa finally got tired of not making ground against Wang Kon and called in peace so I did as well.
Spoiler :

Trading Music away earlier also meant I could use the Sistine Chapel for failure gold!
Spoiler :

Ragnar had gone into war mode around 300AD. I wasn't the most likely target but there was always a danger. I monitored his SoD activity with the free missionary from Taoism. Needless to say, I didn't build any units as I was satisfied with his troop movement.
Spoiler :

Back on the home turf, I finished Paper and single-bulbed Education.
Spoiler :
Machinery was a placeholder, I teched Education.

Ragnar successfully took 1 city from Tokugawa. Granted it was only defended by 2 archers but it still took him like 4 turns hehe
Spoiler :

After a while, Wang Kon who built the AP was willing to talk again. Being at 4 cities and having a shrine means he has a lot of gold on his hands.
Spoiler :

Education researched, I stopped the round to look at how to continue forward.

Techs
Spoiler :

Diplomacy [includes difficulty penalty and AI peaceweights]
Spoiler :

A better look at Ragnar-land. That is so juicy, I need it!
Spoiler :

A look at my piece of land:
Spoiler :

Heroic Epic went into Gondar, the gold city.

I can place 2 more cities on the eastern part but there's no food at all there and my workers are busy elsewhere for the moment. Still, they could pay for themselves at some point.

Top 5 cities. What's going on overseas???
Spoiler :

The answer: 9 Great Generals BIAFAL.

I have 2 spare Great Artists... the latter being bord at low odds rather than a Scientist. I can either use both for 2 Golden Ages or use 1 to culture bomb Samartian and gain back several tiles.
Spoiler :

Finally, here is the site for my Globe Theater. 5 food resources (although 2 don't really count as a food resource) should allow 1 draft/turn for a long long time.
Spoiler :

"Seeing" the situation overseas, I think I can gamble and delay Liberalism for, say, Steel. If I get hosed again and get another Great Artist, it might be more difficult however. The alternative is to research it now and take Nationalism to build the Taj Mahal.

Not having a religion hurts quite a bit in this game, especially the no Organized Religion part. The good news is Zara gets a lot of cheap buildings so it's not all that bad.

A Golden Age in a few turns could be quite helpful to help construct universities for Oxford.

Canons+Oromos should be a good bet here while heading to Rifling. I think there's no doubt my first target should be Ragnar. He looks like the only threat at this point, unless there's an AI massing up vassals overseas (I doubt it a bit however as fighting is still going fiercely seeing the GG birth rate). I can clean up Wang and Toku afterwards which should be easier to gobble up. From there, anything should be possible...

9 generals amongst 3 leaders suggests some imperialistic leaders. So probably some mix of Justinian or HRE with one of the warmongers? Hopefully they haven't vassaled each other (a big Justinian or HRE could be problematic late game).

If you bomb Samaritan and regain the one tile in between the two civs and stop trading with Ragnar, you can make sure Toku doesn't get destroyed. Not sure if you have the diplo wiggle room (you probably should with HR). This would allow you to tech peacefully up through steel to crush Toku first before you go after Ragnar (or vice versa), since the two will likely stay at war for a while - especially if Ragnar has lots more power than Toku and Toku has nothing to offer in peace. This would also let you steamroll Toku--Wang and get some promoted troops before going after the juggernaut.

Trading Music away earlier also meant I could use the Sistine Chapel for failure gold!

Little confused why trading music helped you get failure gold.

If you didn't trade music were you worried about your hammers decaying if you built Sistine immediately. And if this is the case then you thought delaying partial building Sistine would put it at a time when you had better things to do with your hammers?

Or is your meaning of that sentence that trading away Music allowed you to get failure gold sooner, which because of the nature of the game means that failure gold, even if the same amount, is has more value?

9 generals amongst 3 leaders suggests some imperialistic leaders. So probably some mix of Justinian or HRE with one of the warmongers? Hopefully they haven't vassaled each other (a big Justinian or HRE could be problematic late game).

If you bomb Samaritan and regain the one tile in between the two civs and stop trading with Ragnar, you can make sure Toku doesn't get destroyed. Not sure if you have the diplo wiggle room (you probably should with HR). This would allow you to tech peacefully up through steel to crush Toku first before you go after Ragnar (or vice versa), since the two will likely stay at war for a while - especially if Ragnar has lots more power than Toku and Toku has nothing to offer in peace. This would also let you steamroll Toku--Wang and get some promoted troops before going after the juggernaut.
Or Julius Caesar. I find he usually is one of the better AIs in general. I'd prefer one of the zealots however as they're easier to handle!

Bombing Samaritan is looking like the way to go indeed. I have sufficient diplo to keep Ragnar at Pleased and Toku probably won't pose any real danger for Ragnar. If they're still at war by the time Canons are online, I think going after Ragnar is still the better choice (unless he has rifles and I not) as he really is the more dangerous of the bunch.
Toku's land appears bad overall so I don't have a real incentive to kill all his outdated units.

Little confused why trading music helped you get failure gold.

If you didn't trade music were you worried about your hammers decaying if you built Sistine immediately. And if this is the case then you thought delaying partial building Sistine would put it at a time when you had better things to do with your hammers?

Or is your meaning of that sentence that trading away Music allowed you to get failure gold sooner, which because of the nature of the game means that failure gold, even if the same amount, is has more value?
If I didn't trade Music away, it'd take longer for the AI to research it, so longer to cash in. Sure I'd get more gold this way but it'd be later. I want to keep a good gold inflow as you never know when you'll run out of your stash and it does happen that there's no gold to be had in any way for deficit research. If I recall correctly, hammers do not decay on World Wonders but don't quote me on this one. (I know they decay on National Wonders).

Round 3

I started off by bombing back Ragnar to gain back tiles.
Spoiler :

It was quite successful too. Now I can close borders if I want to.

What the...
Spoiler :

Ah c'mon! He barely lost anything. Well, that makes invading Ragnar much more difficult because I now have a 2-front war.

I start trading the Liberalism techs as taking Steel isn't likely going to happen.
Spoiler :

After an eternity, Ragnar finally sent a missionary my way. Natural spread never occurred despite several cities still without a religion. Tokugawa now being a vassal, I don't have to stick to NSR to keep him pleased so I revolt to Confucianism to please Ragnar.
Spoiler :

And it works, Friendly Ragnar achieved.

Shortly after, Ragnar revolted to Mercantilism hurting my trade routes by quite a bit. Fortunately, this guy showed up after beating on his opponent for a long time.
Spoiler :

Meet his vassal...

I was able to get Shaka's map in a trade and also got this trade with Julius.
Spoiler :

I finished Liberalism after getting the Astronomy prerequisites. It increased my research by almost 100bpt right away.
Spoiler :

And opened up trade possibilities:

I would later get Ragnar's map which revealed the rest of the land.
Spoiler :

And got me the circumnavigation bonus without building a boat.

Julius was great for filling the lower techs of the tree.
Spoiler :

Once Oxford University began construction, I triggered a Golden Age with the Music free GArtist to accelerate it. Instead of 13 turns, it would only take 7 (combined with Organized Religion).
Spoiler :

Although I lost out on the Taj Mahal to Ragnar, I was able to get some more trades in.
Spoiler :

Hammurabi eventually showed his beard and he was surprisingly the largest AI out there, as well as the best techer.
Spoiler :

I got in a few more trades with Friendly Ragnar. The bad news though is looking at his tech path, he's going for military techs almost exclusively... invasion doesn't look too good.
Spoiler :

I'd been building Trebuchets from my Heroic Epic city almost 1/turn and upon finishing Steel, they were all promoted to Canons.
Spoiler :

To re-supply my coffers, I used the Great Merchant from Economics in Wang's city. You can see in the background what kind of army WK has... pretty mediocre.
Spoiler :

Ragnar didn't want to fight Wang Kon surprisingly and instead went overseas.
Spoiler :

I'm pretty sure he's almost at Rifling and from there he'll start fielding Cavalry making it pretty difficult for a canon war. Therefore I'm going to go punch on Wang Kon and if the opportunity is there, I can take on Ragnar later but seeing the two big AIs overseas, I think I'll keep him in the game to fight wars for me while I tech happily.
Spoiler :

Tech situation
Spoiler :

Ragnar is 2.x techs away from Infantry. Not good!

Diplo - I'm doing pretty okay here. With the hatred Ragnar has and is generating, my chances of being a target are much smaller.
Spoiler :

A bomber war could be done to take out Ragnar more or less easily but then I'd also have to go overseas as I'd probably be in danger of losing to space or culture. Going for space myself shouldn't be too hard as my cities can be set up for good production along the river.

Top Bottom