FML 4-Shaka

Well, we went for a few wonders, expanded a little, and held our borders. The reason why we expanded so little? Constant barbarians :rolleyes:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 3: A Man of Culture

For centuries, the undercurrent of Confucian tradition had been present in Zulu society. Ever since the building of the Oracle of Ulundi, Confucian ideals have been present in the population, and so has their beliefs. As the religion grew, expanding throughout Zululand, Shaka too became influenced by this religion(Everybody respects him). He mandated the religion as the only religion allowed in Zululand. Animist tradition continued to prosper and melt into Confucian ideology, until eventually, a hybrid religion called Zulunda appeared. Zulunda blended the ideas of respect and social status into the idea of honoring the dead, the spirits, and the ancestors. Shaka was the one who deserved most respect, as leader, followed by the spirits, followed by the ancestors, followed by the dead, followed by the nobles, followed by the peasants.

Zulunda theology stated that one must serve Leader, Family, and State. Zulunda tradition soon evolved into the concept of working for the state, and as working for the state meant working for Shaka, Ulundi received prime benefits of being the capital of Zululand. Shaka, resident of Zululand, naturally prioritized Ulundi's buildup as a cultural center as well as the economic and political center of Zululand. Shaka had large ambitions, and it would soon be shown through his various projects.

Years passed as Shaka led his Impis, Archers, Warriors, and Axemen into battle against the barbarian hordes. At one point, the loss of the Confucian holy city of Nobamba was a possible threat, but expert military tactics from Shaka rescued the city from a horde of barbarians. Shaka positioned outposts of troops that would regularly need to be replenished as the endless hordes fought on. While on patrol, a squadron of Impis noticed large, furred animals that seemed to be plentiful of meat. 1 hunt later, a few animals where slain and brought back to Ulundi. Shaka informed the local government of uMgungdunlovu about the caribou, and pondered how such an animal could be found in Africa.

A new city was founded to shift the frontlines from Nobamba, away from the center of religious learning. Shaka established the city in such a location that it was surrounded by rivers on nearly all sides and quickly defendable from Ulundi. Shaka named it kwaDukuza in honor of Duke Kwa, the leader of an outpost that had recently been overrun.

Shaka continued to build sculptures of himself using tax money, angering many peasants and nobles alike. Shaka opened a new school of art in Ulundi, so that the anger of wasting money on art would be directed at the school and not at himself. After all, having a giant statue of yourself screams classy to the ladies.

The school quickly expanded and attracted many talented young men from throughout Zululand. Shaka himself regularly investigated the school, and pleased with the results(many more sculptures of himself), expanded a library wing dedicated to the arts in Ulundi. A young man by the name of Rabbi Akiva proved himself a competent artist, however, his art differed from other alumni in that he drew images of Confucius, made sculptures showing natural equilibrium, and wrote haikus. Shaka shipped him off to a monastery in Nobamba, where he distinguished himself and founded the Kong Miao, the greatest cathedral in all of Zululand, and at the time, the only.

Hundreds of years had passed since the Afrikaaners had fled from Shaka on boat. While he nominally maintained control over them, he had not been in direct contact with the Afrikaaner exiles for centuries. News arrived soon that contact had been made and that the Afrikaaners had seeked refuge in Egypt.

Egypt was a backward place that had spawned off of Zulu traditions somehow reaching northwards past the barbarian hordes. They had only 2 settlements, and did not even know how to fish. Shaka was content to ignore their existence, seeing as how they had accepted the traitorous Afrikaaner exiles.

More news soon arrived from the few loyal Zulumen that had begun to explore the Mediterranean that they had made contact yet again. Shaka exchanged pleasantries with the King of the Franks, but when his representatives told the man that Zululand already had a faith, the man yelled Shaka's representatives out of the palace and hung them. Zululand and Frankia have not gotten along since then, to keep it simple.

Shaka, in fury over the treatment of his subjects, built a statue mocking the Frankish king by replicating his image in elephant byproducts. When the Frankish diplomats arrived, they where outraged and immediately left Zululand, to Shaka's delight.

Conveniently for him, the Franks had disclosed the secrets of metal working as a goodwill gesture. Shaka snorted and ordered that a forge be built in Ulundi as soon as possible. The reason that Ulundi could not immediately begin on the forge soon became obvious....

Shaka had been building a massive library that payed homage to Zulunda theology, the history of Zululand, mathematics, Zulu technological secrets, and even a museum displaying the greatest statues that had been built to Shaka's honor. Shaka was quite pleased to have completed his grand achievement of his reign.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, there we have it. Hatty is backwards to say the least, Chuky doesn't have alphabet and I see no reason to even tech alphabet at all. Ulundi can build the 'mids in 10 turns, and we can switch to police state for extra military production, never a bad idea in our current position. Alternatively, we can build a forge in 4 turns and the Colossus in 6, I think. Or should I focus on more expansion? A lot of fogbusters died, so I need to replace them soon. ATM, I'm thinking expand in East Africa until I reach a chokepoint, then expand into the Congo for a cottage spamfest.

Now, some pictures:

Hatty is VERY backwards, hehe.

And here is Zululand in all it's glory:

I'm making a late run for the GLH in uMgungdunlovu(I finally learned how to spell it :eek:) and the Moai in Bulawayo.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, let's think here. Conquest is doable, build a huge stack and take out Egypt and Charlie, leaving 4 more civs to kill, all likely ravaged by barbs and backwards. The hard part is actually finding them :p. Domination is impossible; do you know how many cities that'd take :eek: ? Space is doable, we need more cottages though, Culture would take a while and I'd rather not, Time sounds.....boring, and Diplo...?

Attachments

• FML 4-Shaka 500 AD.CivBeyondSwordSave
    398.8 KB · Views: 62
why didn´t you settle your copper?, its a nice prod city with cows and ivory +gems for extra commerce. it won´t need so much food to be productive, only use the resource tiles and gogo.
I hope you can get it before the barbarian horde comes knockin´.

I'm sure Shaka won't be looking so pretty when he meats the East Asians...

Really cool game. I lvoe the narration. Shaka loves those statues.

BTW, Earthbound is very win.

I've got to say, I'm liking the Earthbound love. Anyone tried Mother 3? Played it, but nowhere as good as Earthbound. Anyway, I'll play the round today and hopefully get the writeup done by tomorrow.

Mother 3 is a more story driven, and more modern... I dunno, they both have their advantages.

Oh, and you are going to need to SHAKA SMASH! someone by the end of the game.

Anybody feel free to spam any thread of mine with Earthbound related chat. That game is so great it gets that honor. :p
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 4: A True Gentleman

The accounts of Shaka's personal life aren't very clear. It is said that had a mistress called Shakala, but other than that, not much is known. However, there has long been a rumor that a fierce redheaded woman has long had a special place in the heart of Shaka. While it is possible that a Gaul or an Iceni may have been raided from Europe and that this woman became Shaka's concubine, more speculation has been placed in the possibility of a relationship between Queen Elizabeth of England and Shaka.

Shaka, the generous man that he was, decided to graciously offer her the secrets of Calendar in exchange for the chance to kiss the lovely hand of the gracious queen. One thing supposedly lead to another, although there is absolutely zero evidence to support this possibility.

Meanwhile, the Frankish King was becoming annoyed with Elizabeth for her continuing of diplomatic, and supposedly, 'personal' relations with a heathen. Charlemagne demanded the secrets of Calendar from Shaka, stating that a gift for a Buddhist is a gift to all. Shaka politely refused and sent a beverage made of mint paste, water, and sugar to Charlemagne to help with his breath. Charlemagne was not amused.:nope:

However, Shaka was not a single-minded man. He created a mausoleum in the Egyptian style to honor the Queen of the Nile. The queen was quite amused with the replication of her long uncompleted plans, Shaka had even imported sand directly from Egypt to build such a great structure with all the authenticity that came with it.

Shaka decreed that every man above a peasant would be allowed to vote and have a say on minor policies, subject to Shaka's personal disclosure. While a revolutionary step, the voting part never actually happened.

Shaka commemorated this by founding the city of Nongoma within the African hinterland. Shaka briefly considered naming it Zimbabwe in honor of the people that had formerly lived there, but he decided against it. After all, they where barbarians that had attempted to raid the center of the Zulunda faith itself!

During this time a wise old man had come to prominence in Ulundi for his calculations that aided in the building of the Pyramids of Ulundi. He had infact been a personal advisor of Shaka's on the project. Shaka decided to sponsor him as a thanks. The man kindly devoted the rest of his life to his studies, but not before planning one last building, this one to be built in uMgungdunglovu.

Shaka, in honor of his friend, put all the resources he could into the completion of his friend's dream. He had built a lighthouse, but hardly any lighthouse. He had built the greatest lighthouse in history.

More boon from Shaka's deceased friend soon arrived as notes and journals from his studies reached Shaka's ears and the attention of Zulunda priests. Valuing knowledge, Zulunda theology embraced the concept of educating of the masses.

Yet another man was soon found by Shaka, this one confined to one measly city in the desert called Mecca, from where the faith of Hinduism had sprung. It was ghastly faith full of beliefs in not one, but multiple gods that went from fits to peace, rage to happiness, and Zulunda theology was at first willing to cooperate with Saladin and find common ground, but like the Frank, he considered Zulunda heresy.

Shaka was becoming nervous about all the barbarian incursions that had ravaged his outposts in the Eastern African jungle. Shaka decided to better annex the area into his empire than to leave the possibility of the barbarians organizing themselves into a true threat.

During this time, Shaka rarely saw Elizabeth, further adding to the skeptism towards any possibility of a close relationship between the two, despite good relations between the two states. Shaka supposedly vowed to spread northwards, the closer to strike Egypt, much to the shock of the recently Hindu-convert Hatshepsut. Or was it, in fact, to get in Elizabeth's pan...........

Any continued writing by this author, Ctsewhayo Zulu, has henceforth been destroyed by an unknown attacker. Ctsewhayo was reportedly found with a quill through the head.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, here is the next round. My plans: More expansion, more teching, maybe go for the AP if it hasn't been built yet, not sure. It would be a nice wonder to have here.

Attachments

• FML 4-Shaka 1000 AD.CivBeyondSwordSave
    458.6 KB · Views: 80
Nice! You're in the lead and you do not seem to be having any problems with the barbarians.

Nice! You're in the lead and you do not seem to be having any problems with the barbarians.

I'm also universally loved. Just look at all those happy faces on that last screenshot :p

In all honestly, REX into the Kongo is my current thinking, maybe settle a city in Namibia to work the Gems and Fish+GLH trade routes.

I think you should get out of confuscianism, it isnt going to help you much on the diplo front. I notice that you are building teh shadowge..... so a revolt to free religion could be the order of the day, if you get it. If you dont, I would still consider getting out asap. It looks like your close to liberalism and you may be able to wait till then. But the sooner you do so, the less likely a DOW will be.

The thing is, Saladin is doing a OCC, Charlemagne has to contend with the heathen Arabs and Egyptians before he gets to me, Liz is on an island, and I'm atleast 30 tiles from the nearest Egyptian tile. I'm fairly safe at the moment, but, you are right, I'm gunning for the Shwedagon for FR, while I beeline as deep into biology as possible.

Shaka was taking some time off on another game of mine testing out mass+nukes+rushbuy+draft spam :lol:

Sorry for the delay, I was having some fun with Shaka; he's become my favorite leader infact. I <3 the traits, and he won me two games in the last 3 days. Anyway, will play the round today. Shaka hasn't forgotten, a true gentleman never forgets. :p

Top Bottom