Moding and Editor Question Thread:

I'm creating a mod where a large number of civs will be limited to a relatively small area for at least a couple of eras - roughly half the game. The civs will probably only be able to establish at most about 5 cities each during this period. I am aware of a tendancy with AI and human player alike to establish large empires, taking out civs early, et cetera; something that would seem to me to be that much easier given the geographical situation I have described. That's a problem. Such expansion would be almost entirely ahistorical during the mentioned eras, and with that in mind I want to do what I can to limit it. My question, then, is: what can I do to help preserve the existence of the civs in the situation described and discourage empire building during a period of about two eras? Off the top of my head I would think measures such as allowing for various types of defensive improvements, and increasing corruption/decreasing optimal city number would be a start. Could anyone offer any more extensive suggestions?

If you are ready to reload from time to time, you could use my expanded game system.

It allows changing the poduction in food / shields / commerce of terrains, the food required by each citizens, the max size of cities, the number of optimal cities, etc. with each era. Or make some terrain impassable / unfitted for cities in the first era, but not in the latest one.

You can make it so that in the first eras, the cities are much more difficult to built / maintain

And to prevent early conquest, you can give a very strong bonuses to the first walls, and make them obsolete when you reach some era.

Making units more defense-oriented, making offensive units more expensive relative to defensive units. Also, making units enslave into sacrifice-able units may also make players want to keep the AI in the game for longer, if only to increase the amount of sacrifice victims they can gain.

However, what you must remember is that if you're forced into not attacking in the early part of the game, that may make the game less fun.

My question regarding leaderhead flc files:

How does the game determine which flics are used in each era? How can I make a normally four-era leaderhead instead be dual-era, in which the leaderhead is ancient for the first two eras and medieval for the last two eras?

(never mind the static images like the advisor files... I have that taken care of already)

My question regarding leaderhead flc files:

How does the game determine which flics are used in each era? How can I make a normally four-era leaderhead instead be dual-era, in which the leaderhead is ancient for the first two eras and medieval for the last two eras?

(never mind the static images like the advisor files... I have that taken care of already)

Under the civilizations tab, and in the Animations portion in the lower left corner, pick the era you wish to set the leaderhead for... and change the Forward and Reverse Filenames.

So if you want the first 2 eras to be the same, set the appropriate Flc file in these first 2 eras, and do the same for the other eras.

Tom

ı wonder if this thread can be made like the newbee questions thread in the general forum . ı have tons of questions to ask , yet have internet access only 3 days a week . My threads quickly look like spamming for the post count and stop receiving replies .

on the other hand what does attack 2 and 3 in INI files do ? if ı have flcs for them and my unit of 3 moves with blitz is next to 3 enemy ones , will my infantry use machine guns in one attack , grenades in the second , bayonet in the third ?

You can have 3 attachs , 1, 2 and 3.
If you have only 1, then it shows only 1.--> 1, 1, 1
If you have 1 and 2, it shows 1, then 2, and then it replay 2 until end of the battle --> 1, 2, 2, 2, 2
If you have 1, 2 and 3, it loops : 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3

But this is for each attack. If you have blitz it will change nothing.
Ex: if you have MG, grenades, bayonet as 1 2 a 3 and 2 MP with blitz
first attack will show MG, grenades, bayonet , MG, grenades, bayonet
second attack will zhow MG, grenades, bayonet , MG, grenades, bayonet

until one of the two units (yours or the ennemy's) die.

thanks , you have saved me from trying at home and trying to figure out what was going on . ı am a slow learner , such threads increase my game playing time !

finally installed the Irfanview , checked the units_32 pcx file where it says "This is the only the true icon sheet , all others are a mistake or a delusion " and right in the middle are the dinos . Where is the game to use them ?

that file is 14 by 24 squares . How do ı increase the size of it ? Can ı make it say a 24 by 24 ? Or do ı cheat and use one already enlarged? ı have one example that should have between 1300+ and 2400 icons on it .

talking of such large numbers of units is there an upper limit on the number of additions ?

ı have always thanked to answers to my questions , ı wouldn't want to give it up though this subforum has a well justified angle against spamming . So here is my belated thanks . And further desire to learn ; before everybody starts playing Civ5 never to return

A:
[/QUOTE]Units converted from legion and chariots of war, credits to Paradox Entertainment (they made the graphics) and Slitherine Software (they made the game)
57 ancients units from Legion and Chariots of War[/QUOTE]

ı am just into adding units , going around in old threads and the like ı tried a few of those ancient units and the two zips ı have have only Flics . Do ı copy and paste INI files or should ı look for them in the normal downloads section ?

B:

it always irritates me to see spearmen and the like surviving to 2000AD .The easy way of course they should change their image just like the worker gets a pair of pants , does anyone know a good Molotov cocktail thrower ? Also if ı make an unit , say the swordsman obsolote , say by the musketman , but the swordman doesn't have the upgrade option , it won't be produced at all after the discovery of the gunpowder , is that correct ?

A: you need to create an ini for them: take something similar like the spearman and work from it.

I didn't include an ini as there are several options (ex: two deaths) to choose from.

B: yes, the swordsman will not be produced after gunpowder is discovered (unless of course it is autoproduced by a building)

ı appreciate the answers

something ı hadn't come across yet in my unit tests ; and yes the barbarians can kill the Kong . All ı know about the DY-100 is that it was the ship of some racist who got a proper lesson in a Trek movie . What causes the pink rectangle at the Southeast corner ? Is it something that ı , the newbie at the flavour unit mania level , can fix ?

ı was testing a galley attacking a galleon . To realise boarding ı omitted ranged attack and rotate before attack for the galley : yet the galleon also didn't rotate to open fire .Galleon fights normally with everything else . Should ı give ranged attack to any ship ?

Attachments

• dy.JPG
    dy.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 105
ı appreciate the answers
All ı know about the DY-100 is that it was the ship of some racist who got a proper lesson in a Trek movie . What causes the pink rectangle at the Southeast corner ? Is it something that ı , the newbie at the flavour unit mania level , can fix ?

There was a submarine that had the same problem that I saw some time ago.. it's a pallette issue. Easy to fix though, post the link for DY-100 and I can correct for you, and upload it to the thread.

There was a submarine that had the same problem that I saw some time ago.. it's a pallette issue. Easy to fix though, post the link for DY-100 and I can correct for you, and upload it to the thread.

That's why I always call him a Gentleman and a Scholar :)

Top Bottom