incremental patch discussion

Also, I have found a couple of spelling errors in the religion flavors, which doesn't appear to harm anything but means it won't quite work right either.

Oops... sorry, my bad :)
Thanks for catching. I'd assumed that anything like that would cause an XMl error on mod-load, and so I figured that when I didn't observe any that I hadn't made any spelling errors.

I'll try to be more careful when re-adding flavor values after the tech changes are merged in.

I think my vote would be to release these changes as patch 1.7.3. Perhaps repeat the 1.7.2 release note and explain that 1.7.3 is a fixed version of 1.7.2.

Right, here's patch 1.7.2.2, the main purpose of which is to merge the tech tree reworking that has been done so far with 1.7.2/1.7.2.1. You will need to install Dune Wars 1.7.2 and 1.7.2.1 first. Note: The tech tree rework is still only part complete so this patch is not particularly recommended unless you are really interested in seeing the progress so far.

As well as merging in the tech tree changes. I have also fixed the issue with the human player being unable to build the House Spice Corp HQs.

I have made some further amendments to the tech tree based on feedback/discussion including these changes:
Spoiler :
Rename current Water Souk at Solaris Economy to Merchant Quarter.
New Water Souk at Water Economy gives +1 trade route, +25% trade route yield.
Spotter Control at Sandworms gives +1h1c for desert tiles.
Drop Weather Scanner.

And following Ahriman's suggested order for the early ecology branch:

Spoiler :
Desert Plantation -> water economy (which gives +1 water from windtraps (moved from Arrakis habitation) and Qanat and New Water Souk.
Water economy -> way of Liet.
Way of liet -> adapted agriculture (plantation and insect farm boosts)
Adapated agriculture -> planetary ecology
while having the second windtrap boost at Arrakis Transformation. (So there's somthing nice there for Arrakis Paradise users, and so its sufficiently late-game).

We can discuss these changes and the tech tree further in the late game tech tree thread - there is fair bit of design and feedback in that thread which still requires action.

Also, I realised that I have been working on the tech tree layout while having this Dynamic Tech Advisor modcomp installed locally. This means that without this modcomp the arrows in the tech tree look messy. The problem is that this modcomp has not been updated to the version of BUG that we have in Dune Wars, and looking at the code it didn't seem to be a straightforward merge. Simply, replacing the Dune Wars CvTechChooser.py file with the one from the modcomp does work fine apart from an error referring to init.xml. It does seem like the algorithm for drawing the arrows is much more useful in this modcomp, so it would be good if we could either merge the relevant section or make the modcomp version work without an error.

Awesome. I will install this patch, and then upload a tweaked techinfos file with Flavor changes, and maybe some beaker value changes. Anything else I should try to include?

*edit*
Will also have to change a few other tiles. Water economy should give windtrap water, adaptive agrictulture should give windtrap commerce.

Otherwise looks very nice.

[Something weird; Arrakis Transformation requires prescience? That one is a bit of a stretch.
Prescience is very sparse for a fairly Required tech. How about Prescience also gives +1 sight radius across desert tiles?]

I like the way the tech tree is developing in 1.7.2.2. You may know, but the FLAVOR_RELIGION replacements in techinfos.xml in 1.7.2.1 have been removed from 1.7.2.2. They are used in the leaderheads file, but not techinfos, so they will not really have any effect.

Also, one fun place to look for undefined symbols is in python. Some errors can occur if you remove a building, but it is used in python. It may be that you check DuneWars.py, but I also recommend to check Revolutions/RevDefs.py. It refers to a whole bunch of units, buildings, and techs. In particular, the weather scanner is now undefined, but still used in revdefs. Yet another way in which using revdcm makes maintenance slightly more complicated.

Ok, can the attached files be merged into the next version (that fixes Spice corps?)

They:
a) Re-add the Religion flavor values
b) Add some flavor values for new techs
c) Do some tech cost tweaking
d) Rename desert rovers to Light Manufacturing, move Factory there.
e) Move Moisture Seals to Stillsuits
f) Move Naib's Chosen to Water of life tech.

Attachments

• DuneWars XML files.rar
    40.1 KB · Views: 76
Ok, can the attached files be merged into the next version (that fixes Spice corps?)

They:
a) Re-add the Religion flavor values
b) Add some flavor values for new techs
c) Do some tech cost tweaking
d) Rename desert rovers to Light Manufacturing, move Factory there.
e) Move Moisture Seals to Stillsuits
f) Move Naib's Chosen to Water of life tech.

Thanks Ahriman. The Spice Corps should already be fixed in 1.7.2.2. We could release 1.7.2.2 plus your amendments as 1.7.3 I suppose.

It would be good to get the rest of the buildings and units from the tech tree redesign in as there is not far to go with that. I'm happy to do this, but I'm not sure exactly when I'll get to it - hopefully by the end of the coming weekend.

In terms of rough plans before a 1.8 release, I think there will need to be a couple of patches to refine and balance what has become a fairly significant overhaul of the tech tree. Art wise, I have a good plan for the Suspensor line and the new Monitor Warship so I'd like to move on to that while the new tech tree is being playtested.

The Spice Corps should already be fixed in 1.7.2.2.

Sorry I lose track of versions; I didn't realize you'd also fixed the corps in 1.7.2.2, I haven't had time to do any manual testing yet.

When I have time, I'll do some playtest of 1.7.2.2 + my changes, and see how it plays.

My other priorities would be finishing off the high-end changes (Tleilaxu, nukes, 3rd tier religion effects) and then hopefully having a discussion about the spice-denial radius of fresh water. As it stands, a single well wipes out a 5x5 tile block for spice access, which is just too much. A catchbasin wipes out 7x7.

I'd like to see a well wiping out a 3x3 block, and a catchbasin wiping out 5x5 (ie basically no spice in the BFC).

Art wise, I have a good plan for the Suspensor line and the new Monitor Warship so I'd like to move on to that while the new tech tree is being playtested.
Sounds great, looking forward to seeing it.

Well, here is some interesting news. Another modder, embryodead, has contributed an AI mod which fixes the problem of "spice palaces". In 1.7.1 I moved the spice commerce bonus from corps to the palace, which the AI did not understand. In 1.7.2 I put it back onto corps. However, with embryodead's change, we can keep the spice bonus on the palace.

Therefore, here is a patch release 1.7.1.2. If you have 1.7.1 and/or 1.7.1.1 installed, you can install this. It is only one file, the actual sdk file cvgamecoredll.dll. I have tested this, and my result matches embryodead's result. 1.7 by itself has a good amount of spice harvesters outside the city BFC, and so does 1.7.2 (because the corporations are put back). 1.7.1 has a low number of spice harvesters. With this 1.7.1.2 change, the number of spice harvesters is at least as much as 1.7 and 1.7.2, maybe even a little more.

Thanks, embryodead!

Awesome! embryodead, great job.
The spice on palaces is so much cleaner. I am running 1.7.2.2, so I will wait until we bundle to a 1.7.3.

Incremental Patch 1.7.2.3

To make our lives easier, I have included patches 1.7.2.1 and 1.7.2.2, so this patch can be installed directly over Dune Wars patch 1.7.2 (or 1.7.2.1 or 1.7.2.2). This is very much a gameplay-only patch with no new art.

+ The following outstanding parts of Ahriman's late game tech tree design are now in the XML:

BUILDINGS

- Great Convention Breached! World wonder. Requires House Atomics tech. 1200 hammers. Allows all players to build Atomics units.
- Hunter Seeker Control. Requires Miniaturization. +8 espionage points.
- Poison Snooper. Requires Suk school. Proves +4 espionage points, +25% espionage defense.
- Commodities Exchange. Requires Advanced Electronics tech. Requires CHOAM religion. Gives +0.5 gold per spice resource.
- Chouhada Barracks, Requires Galactic Religion tech, Requires Mahdi religion, Mahdi state religion, +25% military production.
- Palmery. Building. +2 water, +1 happy, provides Dates bonus resource, requires Shai-Hulad state religion, requies Shai-Hulad religion, requires Arrakis Transformation tech.

Units:

- No-Ship: Requires No-field tech. 3 Moves. Strength 12. Thopter class. Invisible.
- Death Hand Missile: Harkonnen UU. 16 strength version of Stoneburner, but does only 70% colleratal damage. Requires Vendettas tech.
- Howitzer: Harkonnen UU, replaces Rocket Artillery. Same as Rocket Artillery but 10 strength instead of 8.
- Monitor Warship: Strength 50, thopter class, 1 first strike, 6 moves, blitz
- Cymek: Technocracy Religion Unit, 2 moves, strength 15, 0-2 First Strikes (2 First Strike Chances), gets defensive bonuses unlike other mech units, National Limit 10. Available at Cybernetics.
- Fish Speaker: Qizarate Religion Unit, strength 16 melee unit, 2 moves (make them flexible rapid response defenders), +50% city defense, immune to first strikes. National limit 10. Available at Galactic Religion.

+ Spice Corporations removed again. Spice Palaces back in with embryodead's AI fix!

+ Blitz promotion re-added from vanilla. Available to Vehicles, Suspensors, Thopters and Mechs at Mechanization. Icon is blue, but I'll fix that. (This was so that the Monitor Warship could start with Blitz)

+ Suspensor Transport now upgrades to Light Carryall

+ Ahriman's tweaks from post 987 in this thread included

>>>>>>>> DOWNLOAD LINK <<<<<<<

Still outstanding from tech tree design:

+ Code to make Monitor Warship appear in capital when all Monitor Projects are complete.
+ Code to make Great Convention Breached wonder give 3 Atomics in capital on completion and reduce foreign trade route income -100% in all cities (I think this needs some SDK work - perhaps a new tag for global foreign trade route yield) Original spec: Provides -100% foreign trade routes in all cities. When built, creates 3 Atomics units in the capital city by event).

There is a lot of art polishing now required. Most of the new buildings and units use duplicate art right now.

I remember we discussed at one point the iPower value for units. Did we come up with a formula and, if so, was it applied to the XML?

Buildings, Units and Techs all have an iPower and iAsset tags, which as I understand it affect the AI decision making. If so, I think we should review these tags for Buildings, Units and Techs since there have been a lot of changes recently and these values were probably a jumble in the first place.

There is some info on iPower and iAsset here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=321825

iAsset seems to have more to do with Score for Techs and Buildings.

Also, if anyone can get the Dynamic Tech Advisor modcomp I linked in this post working without an error that would be great. The tech tree will look pretty bad without it.

Incremental Patch 1.7.2.3

Awesome, very nice.

I remember we discussed at one point the iPower value for units. Did we come up with a formula and, if so, was it applied to the XML?
I'm not sure that we ever applied a formula. Something like strength + hammercost/10 is probably a good starting place.

The asset value does not sound very important. From your linked thread:
It has no bearing on whether the AI builds a unit/building or not

Glad I could help, it's a great mod after all :goodjob:

BTW my rocket trooper is still pink and I swear the SAMInfantry_128.dds is not in 1.7.1 or 1.7.2 (or 1.7.2.3).

I'm not sure that we ever applied a formula. Something like strength + hammercost/10 is probably a good starting place.

OK, I'll try to find the original discussion we had.

The asset value does not sound very important.

iPower definitely seems much more important, perhaps we can just base iAsset on that.

embryodead said:
Glad I could help, it's a great mod after all

Thanks. We're always happy to have any assistance offered (particularly by people who can find their way around the AI code) :)

BTW my rocket trooper is still pink and I swear the SAMInfantry_128.dds is not in 1.7.1 or 1.7.2 (or 1.7.2.3).

That's strange. I haven't seen this issue myself. Putting the attached files in the art/units/rocket_trooper2 folder should resolve your issues. Anyone else seen this?

The texture worked thanks.

There's an issue with 1.7.2.3, however - my fix used only the CommerceProduced tag and not YieldsProduced. I noticed in 1.7.2.3 Palace uses YieldsProduced so it won't work. To make it work with both Yields and Commerces add these 3 lines in the IF clause in CvPlayerAI::AI_corporationBonusVal:
Code:
		iValue += 50 * GC.getBuildingInfo((BuildingTypes)ePalace).getYieldProduced(YIELD_FOOD);
		iValue += 50 * GC.getBuildingInfo((BuildingTypes)ePalace).getYieldProduced(YIELD_PRODUCTION);
		iValue += 30 * GC.getBuildingInfo((BuildingTypes)ePalace).getYieldProduced(YIELD_COMMERCE);

hey guys,

i decided to merge in revdcm 2.71.

and i have, i will uploading the mod now,

the merge went 99% well, the only error i see is a message at the end of a turn - eventhandler endofturn something something, im not sure how to solve this one.

so i hope you guys can, and also use this version for the next 1.7.2.4 or 1.7.3...

ive merged in 1.7.2 + 1.7.2.1-3.

edit:

here is the link guys - http://www.mediafire.com/file/dtzw1yyyzzn/Dune Wars-1.7.2.3+rdcm-2.71.exe

also merged in all the art into one fpk.

hope you guys use this.

Top Bottom