Dr kossin #36

Nice start Kossin,

Time to finish scouting your southern coast, seafood or whales could make a southern coastal city attractive.

Any news on how the tech is going elsewhere? Has anyone founded taoism yet? Wondering if you are planning to beeline lib after CS, and if you feel like you have a decent shot at it.

Yep Taoism is gone.
Not too sold on getting Lib this time around unless I get 2 GS to bulb Education, or one on Education and one on Liberalism. Will try for it anyway as Seowons are a pretty good investment and with Stone Oxford is cheap.

Did you think about gifting that second barb city to either party in order to relieve its culture pressure and generate more good will?

99% sure:

no scout (can be explained by closed borders but then...)
no wars (JC not going to war?)

No wars really helped you out in this one. In my game Julius' DOWed Sury, and after taking 3 of his cities DOWed me. Shows how much early religion can make a difference.

Going up for Cannons really does look superior in this game. Both Julius and Sury will have a lot of units, and with tons of collateral damage you can sweep them up using Knights/Maces or even Curraisers. Rifles and Cannon would be a bit too risky IMO, so I'd just stick with Cannons. Tech path looks like a normal Cannon/Deity techpath, so I'm assuming you're going to nab CS, Engineering, Paper, Education and trade for Feudalism? I wouldn't head for Liberalism this game, as the chance you lose out on it to a distant civilization is fairly high as you've already lost some wonders to them, and both your continent buddies aren't very hard-core techers.

Aye, makes sense. It's also "faster" to set up because Chemistry is easy to bulb.

Looks like Round 2 will have to wait until tomorrow, sorry!

Grassland hills are much superior to plains hills for food consumption. Since I was planning a commerce hybrid rather than a pure hammer city, plains require more food ie more farms which I didn't want early on.

My mistake in my first post. NW has the same number of grass hills (3to the W and a 4th to the east), plus it keeps the flood plains and picks up the two plains hills.

Even if it did give up 1 grass hill 1f3h for 2 plains hills and a flood plain is 1f 8h (just counting the extra food for flood over grass). anyways it boils down to needing 1 food to get 3 hammers vs needing 3 f for 8hammers which is a pretty good trade, especially when considering those plains hills will be hills 4 and 5 (3 other grass hills in BFC.... actually its 4 but counting in my mistake back to 3 =p )

I dunno, i guess i just don't see the advantage of W over NW in either situation.

edit: Let me explain my point a little better in the hypothetical situation where NW does lose a grasshill (it doesn't). Since it also gains a flood plains that means the fp+plain hill = 3f4h (no improvement on fp) and the grass hill + grass-traded for fp = 3f3h. And then you get an extra plain hill on top of that (if you don't want to work it with farms early you can simply ignore it and do cottages no?)

Mr Kossin, hurry up and post round 2!

Yep Taoism is gone.
Not too sold on getting Lib this time around unless I get 2 GS to bulb Education, or one on Education and one on Liberalism. Will try for it anyway as Seowons are a pretty good investment and with Stone Oxford is cheap.

35% science, instead of 25% science, for 200 hammers...sure, I'd call that a great investment, especially with Stone.

There might be competition for Liberalism, as you stated, so it's good to think carefully. But once you've made it to Education, Liberalism is only one tech away...at that point, turning away from the race doesn't give you much in terms of tech prerequisites that you can delay for later.

Still, winning the race can be a knife-edge situation that can go both ways...

Round 2

Uneventful round so bear with me :)

Finished CS>IW (1 turn)>Paper>Medi>Philo>Edu>Lib(partial)>MC>Compass>Machinery>Optics>Finish Lib>Astronomy... here's to hoping it pays off and helps research as Sury and JC as pretty fast.

Sury actually managed to build the AP!
Spoiler :

I voted for JC which bumped him to Friendly for short spans of time.

The Great Library provided 1 scientist to bulb Education...
Spoiler :

The force was with me this time it seems:
Spoiler :

I'll take it :)

As I was finishing up Liberalism, I noticed Sury was almost done with Education so I unloaded it.
Spoiler :

Ran a few cities on Wealth (delaying builds) to make sure Compass was done in 2 turns. Liberalism was completed with 0% slider in 1 turn.
Spoiler :

And I stopped here...
Astronomy will help with intercontinental trade routes, resource trades and tech trades. There has been a few more GGs spawned this round but not too many. Hopefully this will allow me to keep up in tech as I start planning further expansion north.

Techs
Spoiler :

Funny note: Sury stole Liberalism the instant I got it :lol: Sore loser.

Diplo
Spoiler :

F1 screen - no micro check this turn
Spoiler :

My only source of Iron is slightly awkward to reach but I'm putting a fort over it so it is accessible as soon as my borders pop in 11 turns.

Hopefully JC or Sury starts running around the tech tree which could allow me a good target for expansion.

Attachments

• DR36 kossin AD-0960.CivBeyondSwordSave
    242 KB · Views: 40
Crazy diplo difference between Caesar and Sury

Also, why not work the other gold near Pyongyang?

Lack of food and worker turns mostly. Right now I need food in anticipation of mass whipping/drafting. Commerce ain't gonna help with making more units.

Well, you were right...lackluster round overall.

Here's open you can put things into actions before one of them DoWs you! (JC, :cough: )

Spoiler :
If you've watched TMIT's post, there should be a continent for the taking to your south, build some settlers and galleons, go go!

Top Bottom