Dr kossin #36

Kossin, don't say plz that you are going to give up the thread.:)
Your Bullpen is one of the most interesting things at this forum.

No, I'm just being lazy :D

To be honest really, I needed a small break from Deity... it's pretty nerve-racking. That and I've been doing a lot of testing for SGOTM.

I'll resume the game in a few days I think.

Round 3a

After a rather long hiatus, I felt like resuming the game. You'll have to excuse me for some of the details however - part of the round was played a week ago and I don't recall the way everything unfolded.

I started off by whipping 2 Caravels to go explore the world and hopefully find open borders and trading partners.

A couple trades as they were available:
Spoiler :

My caravels would circle the globe first and meet everyone out there:
Spoiler :

Not a bad crew at all. Lincoln was isolated and very backwards. Brennus is pretty large but also very backwards. Unfortunately everyone was in Mercantilism so I had no foreign trade routes whatsoever.

Trade opportunities thanks to Caravels:
Spoiler :

I researched Steel and then made my way up to Rifling.
Spoiler :

The Globe Theater was built in the double-fish city (I'll put Moai there I think) and I pre-built Trebuchets. A lot of Muskets were drafted [stacked unhappiness] which led to this...
Spoiler :

Silly Suryavarman was so busy building Wonders he neglected to get Rifling. He did have Cuirassiers en masse however.

But that is for the next round.

Round 3b

I stationed myself on the hill outside Banteay Kdei and Sury hit me with a few Cuirassiers. I lost some cannons and 2 Pikemen but not enough to slow me down. The good part was that he lost a lot of units there [his SoD had been far].
Spoiler :

One turn after capturing the city, Sury is back with more troops!
Spoiler :

Well well... here's a use for Protective: let him suicide his units. Instead of attacking I just healed for one more turn while he suicided everything and I lost absolutely nothing. The free CG promotion on Muskets was most welcome.

I made my way slowly along the east coast, where the big juicy cities were.
Spoiler :

A secondary stack formed mainly of Rifles would hit the western cities.

So what was Sury so busy doing instead of researching Rifling?
Spoiler :

Wonderwhoring. All good... all good.

In his defense, he did go for Military Science however... not that it helped him much against Cannons.

Julius had gone into war-mode a while ago back when he was Friendly to me. I was expecting him to jump on Sury at any moment but...
Spoiler :

Brennus... declined the invitation.

A typical Khmerian city garrison. Sury focused mainly on mounted troops...
Spoiler :

...which suck at defending cities.
Spoiler :

I finally made progress on the research front, finishing Biology.
Spoiler :

While Sury was busy reinforcing his western cities, my secondary stack hit one of his cities via Roman lands.
Spoiler :

Part of Sury's success lay in this city:
Spoiler :

Actually, I can't really call it success anymore, can I? More like demise :lol:

His capital fared no better. It was surprisingly well garrisoned with him having only 3 cities on the landmass at this point.
Spoiler :

Seeing Julius was researching Biology (wouldn't offer good gold/techs) I gave it to him which brought him back to Friendly... enabling this trade:
Spoiler :

Sury finally started going after the military techs... getting Rifling, Artillery. It was too late and his last 2 mainland cities fell to cannon barrage.
Spoiler :

Sury is now left with 4 island cities and I have no navy to speak of.
Spoiler :

It's a shame I can't get this city.

He's willing to capitulate - I will most likely accept it, he still has a good research capacity and several techs on me. That and someone else will get him if I don't.
Spoiler :

I'll try getting better techs from him from Capitulation however. (Medicine?)

The game looks well in hand at this point. Julius is advanced but small (8 cities) and will be crushed once I get Bombers.

On the other continent, Mansa is pretty big and advanced and is my only competitor I feel. He vassaled Huayna Capac and joined the war on Brennus. I have a feeling he might be going for Culture however, which would mean I can stomp on him with a tech lead (or nukes hehe).

Lincoln is just waiting to be vassaled.

Tech overview
Spoiler :

Diplomacy
Spoiler :

I haven't decided how to handle the economy going forward. Mansa got The Kremlin so rush buy is a little bit less interesting. Watermills/Workshops/Windmills would help my initial cities where food is bad for several of them. With Electricity and Financial the commerce bonus is actually pretty good.

Attachments

• DR36 kossin AD-1520.CivBeyondSwordSave
    378.2 KB · Views: 50
Not really a master of catching up with a runaway deity AI, but I think I would go for war in this case. Even if MM would be advanced compared to you there is likely to be very little that bombers or nukes cannot deal with. Keep in mind that MM is at war already so any units he may have will be cut down to size (he can reach Brennus, correct?). This plus the fcat that MM does not spam units should make warring him easy enough - or at least catching up with this coward is not as hard as catching up with a decent unitprob AI might have been. You can do it! :)

I haven't decided how to handle the economy going forward. Mansa got The Kremlin so rush buy is a little bit less interesting. Watermills/Workshops/Windmills would help my initial cities where food is bad for several of them. With Electricity and Financial the commerce bonus is actually pretty good.

You've grabbed MoM and haven't launched any GA yet, euh?

There won't be any economic problem under 24-36 turns of GA, let alone the FIN trait.:crazyeye:

Round 4

Well... I got lazy and took an easy finish.

I tried a 3 [he refused the first 2] combinations before capitulating Sury...
Spoiler :

Only Medicine worked.

Next I beelined Computers and built The Internet in Bureaucracy-powered Seoul. I traded myself up with the help of Sury and Mansa, getting 2 techs for every one I researched. No screenshots were taken I was in drive mode it appears.
Spoiler :

I triggered a few Golden Ages (yay MoM) which really brought me ahead. Unfortunately UN decided to ban Caste System (force Emancipation) so my SS launch was delayed by lower production.
Spoiler :

Mansa turned his Culture slider way too late... he had almost finished the tech tree. Idiot - avoids me the trouble of nuking his cities for an easy space victory. JC was too busy building Military to be a real threat.
Spoiler :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Post-game

Despite being Financial, I workshopped over every cottage for the production.
Spoiler :

I was pretty lucky in the war vs Sury when he was pursuing the economic techs rather than defend himself. Had he gone for Rifling earlier, I might have been able to do some damage with Rifles myself but it would have been much slower. Instead, waiting for Bombers would probably have been a safer and faster choice.

Here's to hoping next game is more interesting :cheers:

ye, would like to know that too. is it for the pure "i want you to suffer anarchy!!"? anyway, good job. I'd have felt bad bulldozing all those juicy towns ..

If you had to leave Earth in a hurry, I don't think you'd care too much about commerce.

ye, would like to know that too. is it for the pure "i want you to suffer anarchy!!"? anyway, good job. I'd have felt bad bulldozing all those juicy towns ..

Why did you want him to adopt rep?
Rep is Julius's favorite civic... I had a faint hope to keep Julius at Friendly to trade but it was not to be.

As to bulldozing Towns: In a space race research is not the limiting factor, it's always production.

Top Bottom