Fairy Tale

Civilopedia help anyone...?

Here's a little proposal for all the hundreds of thousands of fans of Fairy Tale out there. the Civilopedia is still quite something of a Work in Progress. I've personally done all the leaders, national descriptions and am doing all the national heroes as small Fairy Tales describing them. All the units are still pretty much undone. Ajidica did some great work on some of them, but we need more text material in there as most units still have their vanilla Civ descriptions.

One way for all the millions of fans of Fairy Tale to add to the progress of the mod is to write unit descriptions for their favourite units. You should first go into the Fairy Tale Civilopedia and check that your unit hasn't been done already and then write a small, short lore description of it. Don't worry about language or sticking to lore too much, I will correct any errors; the important thing is that we get unique and interesting texts for all the units. It doesn't matter whether you write a hundred descriptions or just one for your absolute favourite unit. Note that you can't claim the Hero Units, since the Civilopedia of those are going to be done by myself.

You can post your descriptions here on the thread, you can E-Mail them to me (LeSage777@windowslive.com) or you can PM them to me. The reward is that you get your name in the Credits section alongside such computer game creation geniuses as myself and HighwayHoss.

Hm... I think i can help with that, but only when i return to Rio de Janeiro, sometime in the week.
Oh by the way, nice ego :p

Excellent. All help is appreciated.

(And oh yeah. Having all these hordes of fans for my mod and all these millions of followers does create an ego really :mischief:)

Here's what I thought about the three units named "Duke's something" in the Principality

Code:
['TAB']The principality have a long tradition of chivalry and courage, and the Dukes are a good example of such values. These men field their own small armies trained by the code of chivalry, and show both mercy and brutality in battle. In the kings main army, these units make up the absolute elite of his men, and they are often tasked with the honor of protecting the king and his standard.[PARAGRAPH:1]The Dukes armies consists of three main forces, the Foot Guard, renowed for their skill in battle and trained for the purpose of adepting the terrain and use it as their advantage, the Spearmen, wielding a long spear to fend of any cavalry who dear to get near, and the Guard Knighs. These knights, trained for battle since the age of 7, well learned in the code of chivalry and skilled in the handling of a horse, create the main charge force of the Principality's armies.[PARAGRAPH:1]A good example of the skill of these men were tha battle at Waldarblom. The necromancers in the Principality had raised in a rebellion to create a state of necromansy, and the two armies met at Waldarblom. The Duke's Guard Knight used their charge to break open the enemy lines. Soon after the Duke's Foot Guard streamed into the gap created by the knights and the spearmen came in from the sides. The slaughter began, and the battle were finished in one hour, being the most swift battle in Principality history.

Hope you like ;)

Edit: I had to put on those ' things in the TAB code for it to show.

Update 8a

I just uploaded Update 8a of Fairy Tale to ModDB.

THE UPDATE

Update 8a includes several new features, such as the 18th and 19th civs. You can now play the full 18 civilizations on the great 125x100 map as well. To start a game on that map, choose Play Scenario in the main menu and select the BigMapJuly2010 map. Full Version History is found in the manual, opened by clicking the ReadMe.html file in the Fairy Tale directory.

The update includes HighwayHoss' HEFT, which updates leader traits as well as several other things. ReadMe included.

WIP. Note that this is a middle update and is still unfinished, but very much playable. VeBear's civilization the Dwarves still have no unique units, but the civ is playable. Also, I will be adding his civilopedia texts in the next update as well. The Kharrorch civ has all the units, but need more work.

Further. Note that the new resource, Crystal, is not present on all maps yet. It is sufficiently present on the new 125x100 map though. The trait civilopedia doesn't work as yet, but HighwayHoss is working on that.

Le Sage July 2010 (LeSage777@windowslive.com)

Download

The approximate situation in the Known World in the Year of Namerl 3000. A map of the Kingdom distribution on the great 125x100 map included in Version 8a of Fairy Tale.​

Do I delete old version or just owerwrite old files... ?

EDIT:
Real nice new map BTW ;)

You just drag and drop the Fairy Tale folder in the .zip to your Mods folder on your harddrive. It should then be merged with the existing Fairy Tale folder and you should overwrite where asked.

I didn't have time to make any unique units for your Dwarven civ and I will be doing those this week. I am playing a testgame right now and happened upon your Dwarves and I must say that they are a worthy opponent. I have seven civs (I think) as rivals. I am playing the Collective and have a point lead, then comes the Black Banner and on third is the Dwarven civ. Zuur is last.

Blimey. Zuur is always doing bad.

You just drag and drop the Fairy Tale folder in the .zip to your Mods folder on your harddrive. It should then be merged with the existing Fairy Tale folder and you should overwrite where asked.

Thx for the info ;)

I didn't have time to make any unique units for your Dwarven civ and I will be doing those this week. I am playing a testgame right now and happened upon your Dwarves and I must say that they are a worthy opponent. I have seven civs (I think) as rivals. I am playing the Collective and have a point lead, then comes the Black Banner and on third is the Dwarven civ. Zuur is last.

That sounds good :goodjob:

Blimey. Zuur is always doing bad.

:lol:

Maybe you should give Zuur the old Dal traits then or even give them more traits then normal if they are supposed to be a superpower in the game.

Did you ever fix the generals? I didnt see that in your patch notes.

Fot the Imperial Scenario I played before this patch, Zuur didnt mount much of an offense. They didnt even put up a respectable defense. which was kind of anticlimactic. The Collective actually managed to take a couple of cities back, but they were simply outteched and I eventually overran them.

Hopefully I can finish this soon so I can put the new patch in.

I think I've solved the generals issue with this update. I am doing a testgame, making notes, and will report as things start happening.

Yeah. Old Zuur. The Black Banner turned out fine though. I might just copy their strategy and paste it on Zuur as well. It doesn't matter which of the Zuur leaders are in charge, they always do bad anyways. So they need work.

Oh. And here's the full list of updates in 8a from the Version History in the Manual.

Update 8a, July 13, 2010

*The Royal family Great Generals were reset to their previous state.
*The Black Banner now has access to the Jousting Arena unique building.
*The Black Banner also now has access to the darker late-game units such as Crusaders and Archmages.
*Updated the Dal traits to slow down their progress and expansion substantially. Inserted the "Drunkard Trait" and gave him Hoss' Corrupt trait. Nerva Dal should now only be the little pain in the rear he's meant to be!
*Added the resource Crystal which is revealed at tech School of Destruction.
*Magician units are now dependant of Crystal. The appearance of Magician units has been delayed to School of Destruction.
*There's a Magician's Workshop improvement buildable to extract Crystal.
*Added the 18th Kingdom, the Kharrorch Orcish/Goblin.
*Added the 19th Kingdom, the Dwarven Thorshammir, designed by veBear. This one is still incomplete.
*Updated the World of Fairy Tale map. It is now 125x100 huge and has 18 civs!
*Worked on the problem of several kings being born. I think it's solved now.
*Finally merged with HighwayHoss' latest HEFT work, mainly on leader traits. ReadMe included.

Le Sage,

Got the latest patch and am playing one of the scenarios. They crystals are still not showing up on the map and I've got 50% open. Have you updated the scenario maps by chance or is that still a work in process.

Btw, when I finished the Imperial scenario, I had a final customized score of over 2 million!! Zuur and their vassals were taken out after 265 turns.

The Crystal resource hasn't been added on all maps as yet. It is only sufficiently present on the new 125x100 map right now. I am aware of the problem.

I am actually thinking about a remake of all the scenarios. I will be cutting out all the old scenarios and add new ones. My initial idea was to have one scenario for each Fairy Tale Kingdom. As the scenarios work right now, I'm not very happy with the looks of the maps; they look weird and do not fit into the Fairy Tale lore. Also, as you've noted before, some of the maps don't work after all the updates to the main game either. Like the Elven Civil War before and now with Crystal.

Two Million!? The Imperial Scenario is one of those that needs work too, obviously. If nothing else, I do need to tweak the Zuur AI to work properly.

Expect a lot of changes the scenarios and their setup. I am playing a testgame right now that I don't want to lose, so I can't really work on the game code since that would probably invalidate the save, but I CAN work on scenario maps in the meantime.

Le Sage,

Started a few games with the Zuur. I had one abortive start where I had no copper or iron and was pinned early by a neighbor. I couldn't compete in that one.

In the other games though, it's still tough to get the Zuur rolling in the beginning. They may get strong troops early, but they dont have the production capability to make them. In all my starts, I've hard simple barbarians capture a couple of my newer cities simply because I could only garrison them with warriors. The other troops were just too long to produce in the real early stage.

I am wondering if this is why the Zuur seem to be foundering in your scenarios. I noticed that after warriors, they have the ghost at str 4..and then the legion str 7 and wancera at str 5. But in every game, these units take a prohibitive amount of time to produce and that can cripple any civ early on if they cant produce early units to defend itself.

Gonna start another game and see how they compete in the later game, if I can get there.

Hidy Everyone: I just posted my HEFT 1.31 patch for Fairy Tale: It adds Civopedia Entries for the Drunken Trait and a new Trait ability: +1 Happiness from the Tavern. :D

Unfortunately it didn't fix the Civopedia problem...:mad:

Anyway regarding the feedback (especially regarding Zuur) I always disliked having so many early units dependent on Iron. I addressed this in HEFT somewhat by removing the Iron requirement from Spears and Crossbows but Jennvare's Comments on the Zuur confirm my dislike...so I propose the following changes:
  1. Remove Iron as a Resource Requirement from all Melee and Mounted Units.
  2. Modify the Forge so that if Civ has access to Iron or Copper the :hammers: Bonus changes from 25% to 50%.
This way Iron and Copper are still important but if a Civ doesn't have it off the bat it will not be totally useless.

EDIT: FIXED THE CIVOPEDIA!! (Thx to NotSoGood :goodjob: ) Reuploaded the file with the additional Bugfixes!

Highway, LeSage,

Something else that I have noticed about the Zuur...the Ghost archery unit obsoletes way too early. When you research iron weapons, the camerca (the crossbow equivalent) obsoletes the ghost and this leaves the Zuur with some very slow producing units early in the game. At that stage, even though the Camerca is better, the ghost still has some viablility. Maybe make them obsolete with whatever the equivalent of the longbowmen is?

As for the Iron and Copper debate, I would let the first teirs of cavalry and all archery units be free of the iron requirement. You can have mounted spearmen (wood spears) after all and most archery does not need iron. However, I would keep it in place for the melee units. If you allow archery units to gain the city attack promotion, it will allow those that are cut off to still be able to attack and defend.

As for the Iron and Copper debate, I would let the first teirs of cavalry and all archery units be free of the iron requirement. You can have mounted spearmen (wood spears) after all and most archery does not need iron. However, I would keep it in place for the melee units. If you allow archery units to gain the city attack promotion, it will allow those that are cut off to still be able to attack and defend.
If you take a look at my HEFT mod, you'll notice I eliminated Resource Requirements for both Spears and Crossbows, so I already addressed this to some extent.

I was thinking also of incorporating The_J's Training Obsolete Units Modcomp so you can build older units like the Ghost.

OK. I bet this makes a good argument for Hoss who wants to take out iron dependancy altogether. So we will do that now after I've heard this. Also, thanks for the idea to make only first tier units non-dependable of iron and copper. I think that will work best and then let the later game units still require these resources. I'll implement that as a start and we'll see where it goes.

I will also go over Zuur again. Their troops may cost too much; or better - make them a building like the Collective hives which turns down unit costs substantially (The Zuur have a hive already, and I can make it appear earlier.). The Collective can pump out units at a very good rate and i must do something similar for Zuur.

Also note that the problems with the generals persists. I encountered it in my testgame earlier. Sigh. What I am going to do now is make the special Great General building buildable by all Great General persons. Including kings and royal princes. That should - for starters - make all the Great Generals equally important in the game. The Royal ones already get a greater XP-amount, but that's not enough.

Hoss. I will upload your latest HEFT to ModDB right away. (By the way, Hoss. LOL at the plus one happy face for taverns on Drunkard trait. Good thinking there! :lol:)

What about giving Zuur some extra cheap forge improvement who give a 50% bonus with Iron and an additional 25% with Copper?

Top Bottom