The Conquests

Subscribed, since i read Terrain-Unwise Romans and found it amazing, and this is no different. In fact, now i want to play the Mesopotamia conquest again. :mischief:

In fact, now i want to play the Mesopotamia conquest again. :mischief:
Have a spot open in our Mesopotamia SG! (See Sig) Feel free to join, if not you're still welcome to CFC!

I see nothing in the Sig.

It's "SparGamez1: Phoenicia" in his sig.

I mean I see nothing along the lines of "spot open" in his sig. :p

I bring news. I have played 20 more turns in the scenario, and won. :D It ended up being by Victory Points, I researched one of the third-age techs and it put me over the limit a few turns before I was about to build the Lighthouse anyway.

I'll post the final chapter of Mesopotamia tomorrow. Right now, it's 2 in the morning, and I want to go to sleep, the Science Advisor be damned. :p

Hey, I get 5 in the morning for you're post time. :p

My time zone is Pacfic, yours is Eastern.

No, this is not an update. :mwaha:

Like I couldn't tell... :borg:

Chapter 7: And Egypt Feels Fine

It was around 600 BC now, with not much happening. People pretty much just celebrating the conquest of Phoenicia and the end of the phony war with the Hittites, and wondering what would happen next. Hey, Egypt was in a Golden Age, it would certainly be good.

In 595, as expected, the Babylonian MPP with the Medes required them to declare war on the Hittites again. Ha, silly Babylonians. They also, annoyingly, built the city of Nimrud on top of the ruins of Sidon. Egypt wanted that location, but there wasn't a darned thing they could do about it. Babylon was stronger and had MPP's with some other guys to bring them into the war. Ah well, it wasn't even that great of a location.

Meanwhile, in 590, some newly built Cavalry were sent to go kill the Barbarians in the Western Desert, as it wasn't like there was anything better for them to do. Some Cavalry killed an Arab Horsemen group in 580, starting a few centuries of wars against Barbarians- the Arabs, Harappans, Mauryans, and Bactrians, resulting in usually Egypt crushing barbs, sometimes losing Cavalry.

In 575, Hammurabi appeared in Thebes. "Hey, Egyptian dudes, want an alliance?"

Hat replied, "No, I just got out of that war, I'm not going back in!"

The Babylonian walked away, a little disappointed.

In the world of technology, the Egyptian Scientists came to Hat. "Hey, we can build these new bigger ships called Galleys that can do better in combat! We call it Ship Building!" Many who heard this agreed that it was the best name for a technology. Ever.

At the same time, the Babylonians, Sumerians, and Medians, in their usual shenanigans of always getting the same tech at the same time, all had a technology they called Architecture for building bigger stuff in cities. Perhaps as a result of this, the barbarians all rose up and decided they wanted the riches of civilization. Or something.

In any case, there were more barbs now, and Egyptians wanted this new Architecture, too. So, in 570, Hat contacted the Sumerians, and offered to teach them how to build Galleys in exchange for this new knowledge, and a little more.

She then noticed that the Babylonians had yet another new tech, that they called Philosophy. "What is philosophy?" she asked. The answer was completely nonsensical. She continued asking, and continuously got no real answer. Eventually she just said, "OH SHUT UP AND JUST GIVE ME THE DAMN TECH ALREADY!"

Then, she noticed the Medes were really close to finishing Ship Building, and decided to get them the rest of the way there for a small price.

Meanwhile, back to the barbarians, Egyptian Cavalry killed some Horsemen, and nothing else really happened.

The Hittites continued winning their war against everyone. In 565, they razed the isolated Far-Northern Babylonian city of Mari. They curiously have yet to do the same to the Median city of Chala, even farther North and more isolated.

The battles against barbarians also continued, with 4 Harappan Horsemen groups attacking some Egyptian Cavalry. Despite being outnumbered 4 to 1, they still survived the battle and killed every last Harappan Horseman.

Sadly, Egypt's Golden Age now ended. It had gone on for a while and done much, but all good things must come to an end, eventually.

The Battles against barbarians continued happening in 560, with some Harappan Warriors dying at the hands of Egyptian Cavalry. Stone Age Warriors just couldn't do much anymore, not that they really ever could.

Yet another arrogant demand landed on Egypt's doorstep in 555. The Sumerians demanded the technology of Ballistics that Egypt had had for a while. They wanted catapults for something, apparently.

Hat replied, "You know, just because the Hittites declared war on me when I refused their demand doesn't mean I'm going to start giving in to demands."

As expected, the Sumerians didn't declare war over this. Why do they always make such empty threats? It's really quite annoying.

Back in the Western Desert, 2 different Harappan Warrior groups attacked different units of Egyptian Cavalry. One time, the Warriors won. The other time, the Cavalry won. Farther to the North, some Mauryan Horsemen started running out of their camp to the South of Avaris to do... something. Egyptian Cavalry would ensure their death.

And, in 550, one group of those Mauryan Horsemen was indeed destroyed by Egyptian Cavalry. To the South, The Harappan horsemen defending the Harappan camp were wiped out by Cavalry, and the camp burned with them. 25 gold was always nice to get for destroying barbarian camps, but hardly useful anymore.

Half-way between Tyre and Ugarit was some desert on the coast and a gap that was never really used by the Phoenicians. Egypt was planning to settle it, and the loss of the spot around Sidon they wanted accelerated those plans, as the settlers originally heading for an area west of the ruins of Sidon now went here. The city of Edfu was built in this location.

The fighting continued in the Western Desert in 545, when 2 groups of Mauryan Horsemen fought an equal number of Egyptian Cavalry. Both times, the Cavalry were victorious. Then a third Mauryan Horsemen group appeared and attacked one of the weakened Cavalry units, defeating them. Also, the lone Egyptian Curragh was sunk by a storm in the deeper Mediterranean. Meh, not like they were using the stupid boat for anything.

2 more groups of Mauryan Horsemen were killed by Egyptian Cavalry in 540. This was almost starting to get boring with how easy it was. The Mauryans would soon be eliminated.

In 535, yet another Mauryan Horsemen group attacked Egyptian Cavalry and lost, and no other battles occurred.

The Medes and Hittites also made peace that year. Again, Hat laughs, as the Mede-Babylon alliance should force this war to re-start shortly. But, as it turned out, this peace would last, for the alliance ran out before the Hittites could enter Babylonian territory again.

The Egyptian Science Team also finished their work on some new technology that year, some advanced navigation techniques. This was apparently useful for nothing, aside from building a giant lighthouse. "But it will be the last of the great wonders! Trust us, we know something good will happen when we build it!

Hat decided to humor them and start building the Great Lighthouse in Hieraconpolis in 530, Egypt's most productive coastal city, but wondered if it would really be that great.

And, of course, the barbarian battles continued, with some Cavalry failing to defeat Mauyran Horsemen, followed by some other Cavalry killing said Horsemen.

Much diplomacy occurred in 525. The Mycenaeans and Hittites decided to make peace, probably because neither had actually fought each other. Also, the Sumerians and Babylonians signed an MPP, which would probably force the Sumerians back into the war, but for now, Babylon fought the Hittites alone.

And Babylon fought the Hittites well, going into their land for once, and burning one of their cities. Specifically, they burned Akuwa, on a river and coastline to the North of Zariqum and Byblos.

But, as always, the barbarians then started attacking. Some Egyptian Cavalry killed some attacking Mauryan Horsemen. Babylon wasn't so lucky. The Scythian Barbarians struck out of the Arabian desert in the Southeast to kill some of their workers building a road to the South. Luckily, the Scythian Horsemen that did this were killed by Egyptian Cavalry from Ugarit in 520.

This was followed by a 515 in which no barbarians attacked for once, so the Egyptian Cavalry were all stronger and more easily able to kill 2 more groups of Mauryan Horsemen in 510.

The southern part of the Western Red Sea coast was an area that many had long wanted to build a city at, for it had grass, trees, and fish. 510 finally saw a city being built there, and it was named Pithom.

505 again was boring with nothing much really happening. Some Companion Infantry easily crushed the Harappan Horsemen that attacked them, and Sumeria built the city of Susa on top of the ruins that used to be Arvad. Other than that, nothing really happened.

Those Companion Infantry proceeded to kill more Harappan Horsemen in 500, and Cavalry also killed Mauryan Horsemen. Same stuff, different day.

And that would continue to happen. In 490, it was again, pretty much the same, only a little more. The Infantry killed more Harappan Horsemen, the Cavalry killed more Mauryan Horsemen, and one more thing happened than usual: Other Cavalry killed the Warriors defending the Mauryan camp. There were still Horsemen in the Camp, but hey, it was different from usual, so at least not boring.

In 485, the Infantry, surprise, again defeated Harappan Horsemen on defense. Do they really think they'll beat the Infantry, either on Offense or Defense?

The Mauryan Horsemen defending their camp were eliminated in 480, and the camp with it. Scratch one more troublesome barbarian camp, although many of their Horsemen still wander the desert. Sigh.

Finally, something non-barbarian related occurred in 475. The Egyptian Scientists, fast researchers as always, had invented a book for people to read to store more information than normal writing, or just write down stories for entertainment. They could also build Libraries to store books.

Hat would have some of these libraries built soon.

This was followed by nothing but barbs happening again for a little while. The Cavalry killed some straggling Mauryan Horsemen in 470, and other than that, nothing.

The Seventy-Millionth Battle of the Desert occurred in 465 involving the Companion Infantry. But this time, they held off not one, but TWO Harappan Horsemen! Impressive.

And then two groups of Mauryan Horsemen were eliminated by Egyptian Cavalry in 460. This is almost boring by now.

In 455, there were no barbarian attacks, just diplomacy among the other nations, finally something other than barbarians. The Hittites requested an alliance with Egypt.

"Why?" asked Hat. "I like not being at war with the entire world." While it was true the Hittites were only at war with Babylon right now, that could easily change, and Hat didn't want to get caught up in that. It was a valid point, and Mursilis left.

And, the war, did, indeed, grow. Babylon signed an alliance with the Mycenaeans, meaning that they would come into the war if the Hittites attacked Babylon. Babylon also got Sumeria to declare war on the Hittites. Highly unnecessary, in Hat's opinion, as the MPP would have brought them in anyway eventually, but oh well.

In 450, 2 Barbarian Horsemen groups were killed by Egyptian Cavalry, again. But this time, they weren't both Mauryan, one was Mauryan and the other was Arab. GASP.

Then finally something changed in 445. A New group of Horse-riding barbarians showed up, calling themselves the Bactrians. They were based in the far west. One group of their Horsemen killed some Egyptian Cavalry.

Meanwhile, as expected, the MPP between Babylon and Mycenae forced the Mycenaeans to declare war on the Hittites.

The Hittites had gone back to fighting a two-front war again, that couldn't be good for them. Even if their only loss at home so far was Akuwa, which they'd rebuilt a bit to the Northeast, it still wasn't good.

In 440, the only thing different in the ongoing Barbarian Wars were the sheer volume of Barbarians killed. Yet another group of Barbarians appeared in the West where the Cavalry had gone to fight the Bactrians, called the Circassians. They were new, though, only consisting of some Warriors. One group of their Warriors were killed by Cavalry. Other Cavalry killed some Mauryan Warriors, and still more Cavalry killed Bactrian Horsemen. Farther East, the Companion Infantry killed yet more Harappan Horsemen. How many barbarians are there, even? Seriously.

A new group of Barbarians in the Arabic Desert also appeared in 435- the Khosians, who killed some Babylonian Workers. Silly Babylonians leaving unprotected Workers around Barbarians.

Back in the West in 430, the last Ciracassian Warriors and their camp were destroyed by Cavalry. Not particularly long lasting were they. Some other Cavalry killed Arabic Horsemen. This just never gets old...

Hat saw an actual battle in the Hittite Wars for once in 425. Some Hittite Companion Infantry had been transported to the Babylonian City of Nimrud by boat, and they attacked the defending Spearmen. They won handily. Iron defeats pretty much every other weapon.

The barbs of course, continued attacking. Two Barbarian Horsemen attacked some Egyptian Cavalry. The Cavalry won the first battle, but lost to the second one. Egypt is running out of Cavalry in the west, not that that really matters.

On a more idiotic note, the Khoisan Horsemen had been forgotten about, and they charged West and killed some Phoenician slaves to the Southeast of Ugarit. D'oh.

But, they would be avenged. In 420, The Cavalry in Ugarit destroyed said Khoisan Horsemen without even trying. Some Bactrian Warriors in the West were also destroyed. And another one bites the dust, as the barbarians are slowly defeated.

The Battle of Nimrud ended in 415, when the Hittite Companion Infantry attacked some Babylonian Infantry that had been newly rushed in the city earlier. And the Babylonians won, heroically holding onto the city. Now if only the Hittites could attack again and burn it so Egypt could get the location like they deserve. Sigh.

Speaking of the war, Sumeria convinced the Medians to rejoin.

The Hittites were now at war with everyone in the world again, except Egypt. And yet, they didn't lose much. Were they just that good, or that lucky?

The 2 remaining Cavalry units in the West were attacked in 415. One group of Bactrian Horsemen and one of Arab Horsemen were killed, though more Bactrian Horsemen then killed one of these two units.

The remaining unit of Cavalry over here continued fighting its war against the barbarians in 410, killing some Arab Horsemen. They would likely die soon.

On the front of the Hittite War, some stuff finally changed again in 405. First, the Babylonians and Hittites signed a peace treaty. Odd, the Babylonians started this whole recent mess of everyone re-declaring war on the Hittites and now they were leaving. Eh, one of the Mutual Protection Pacts would force them back in anyway.

Finally, the Scientists came out with some new religious concepts in 405, that they called "Monotheism", or belief in one God.

"Yeah, basically, there's this one God who controls everything, there's this book full of stuff as to what to do to follow him, and afterlives depending on what you do in life and how well you follow the rules."

This religion spread, and some ideas gained hold. One was the end of the world, where he would come and end the world and judge people based on what they did. Nobody took it seriously though, and nobody thought the world would end. But, they were wrong, the End of the World did occur in 400. But it was not a bunch of destructive storms, volcanoes, earthquakes, et cetera that they thought. Instead, a big... thing appeared in the sky and said:

People wondered what, exactly, this meant, but hey, Egypt won, so yay, that was awesome.

Last edited:
Some Postgame stuff:

Spoiler :
The Replay and end world map. Stuff I learned from this: Not much interesting, although the Hittites managed to get 3 MGL's, and everyone but Sumeria got a GA.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Mycenaeans captured Arpad, that Hittite city in the Northwest there. I guess the Hittites finally started losing at the end.

The Victory Status Screen and Histographs, at the end. Apparently I either got exactly 5500 VP, or it just caps there and doesn't go over it.

I have no clue what caused the Phoenicians' VPs to spike on around turn 3. Maybe one of their starting warriors popped a tech from a goody hut, or something.

Lastly, the Demographics Screen.

I'm first almost everywhere. :D I'm second in approval rating, behind who I don't know, and also second in land area behind the Sumerians. I'm also last in Military Service and Disease. That doesn't surprise me, the AI had way more units and way smaller populations, and I had a bunch of Flood Plains, which strangely still contribute to the Disease score even after I researched Medicine. :hmm: :crazyeye:

Lastly, the high score list. 1/9 Complete! Actually, I've won all the conquests before, just not on the current computer I'm playing them on.

Now, questions for some future suggestions.

1. Should I go back to chapter one in the chapter numbering every time I finish one of them, or continue on (so, the first bit of Part Two would be Chapter 8: Something if I did it that way)
2. I have 4 choices of civ for the Rise of Rome Scenario. Who should I be?
3. Should I spoiler these endgame pics?
4. Do you like answering these stupid questions?

Answers
1: Personally, I think it'd be best to start with Chapter 8, but honestly it won't make a difference. Flip a coin. :p
2: Rome is far too easy. Why not try out Carthage or Persia. Persia does start out with the most land, so there's some food for thought.
3: Eh.
4: Yup.

Nice job on the quick win!

so,
1. Chapter 2.1? it depends on whether you like big chapter numbers.
2. Rise of Rome is about Rome.
3. If you spoil nothing else, I don't see why you should with these.
4. Wouldn't if I didn't.

Is Egypt playable in RoR? If so, that would be quite a challenge.

EDIT: If not, Greece is fun. They start with an army.

Hmm. One vote Carthage/Persia, one Greece (Macedon, actually), two Rome.

Well, I agree with Mythmonster that Rome is pretty easy in Rise of Rome, but maybe. Macedon's starting army is also pretty nice, and so is Persia getting a bunch of land at the beginning. And Carthage, well, they have... uh... Numidian Mercenaries and War Elephants. :crazyeye:

1. Keep going, I like big chapter numbers.
2. Carthage, Why not?:)
3. It is now, I don't need to answer.
4. Of course! :p

Top Bottom