Civ5 Confirmed Features and Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can they even copyright a map pack? I mean, how does that work? If someone else made a map in the map editor that was the same as one of there's, what would that mean?
Under the strictest copy right laws, which basically disallow mods, it would be a violation to use any part of the maps to make your own maps. You could still make your own maps of the same regions, but such a map would tend to be different.

It's likely totally unenforceable, though. If any protection does exist, it should be easy to get around.

Problem comes into play not with copying the maps, but with using such maps as part of mods and scenarios, the rules for which are very unclear at this point.

Under the strictest copy right laws, which basically disallow mods, it would be a violation to use any part of the maps to make your own maps. You could still make your own maps of the same regions, but such a map would tend to be different.

Problem comes into play not with copying the maps, but with using such maps as part of mods and scenarios, the rules for which are very unclear at this point.

Which is great because when I think "Civ5 is more moddable" I totally think "Civ5 will be moddable in the sense that you can only mod things that we might not do, now fork over some money." </sarcasm>

Yep, IMO it looks completely crazy that on the one hand they are offering map packs as preorder bonuses while on the other hand they are raving about how great the new external world-builder application is. I imagine that maps in games like Modern Warfare 2 take a lot of talent, time and money to build so it is obviously reasonable to attach a price to them, and while I don't want to bash people who make civ maps, I think it is orders of magnitude simpler, quicker and cheaper to make civ maps.

If they try to sell map packs later on as DLC, I will be even more amazed.

I have given a patial update with the info from the Greman review, will try to get the rest of it up tomorrow

Yep, IMO it looks completely crazy that on the one hand they are offering map packs as preorder bonuses while on the other hand they are raving about how great the new external world-builder application is. I imagine that maps in games like Modern Warfare 2 take a lot of talent, time and money to build so it is obviously reasonable to attach a price to them, and while I don't want to bash people who make civ maps, I think it is orders of magnitude simpler, quicker and cheaper to make civ maps.

If they try to sell map packs later on as DLC, I will be even more amazed.

They are not really attaching a price to them, they are just including them free in various versions of the game. I really wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have any copy-protection at all; it's not like it's a feature they are making any money off.

I see your point Aramel, but seriously I would not put it past them. There's also the fact that normally if you emphasise something as being free, it's because it has a non-zero value. e.g. the free premium DLC pack with the D2D preorder is not going to be given away free after the game is out.

I agree they might not have copy-protection, but that wouldn't stop selling it as DLC.

Updated with all the stuff from 2K Greg

Aw building maintenance is back that sucks. I loved being able to build every building in a city. They better bring the Adam Smith's Trading Company wonder from civ2 back then.

Not only that, obviously you going to need only one happiness building like Colosseum and Theatre for the whole Empire. This is not a good sign IMO.

no the effect of Temples, Theatres et al compound thus the more you have the more happy your people will be

The Map and Technology Features

Resources/Terrains/Map Improvements

Terrain Types

Grassland - +2 Food, 33% defence, 1 movement cost
Plains - +1 Production, +1 Food, -33% Defence, 1 movement cost
Desert - no production, -33% Defence, movement cost 1
Snow - no production, -33% Defence, 1 movement cost
Tundra - +1 food, -33% Defence, 1 movement cost
Hills - +2 production, +25% defence, movement cost 2, rough terrain
Mountains
Coast - +1 food, +1 commerce, movement cost 1
Ocean - +1 food, +1 commerce, movement cost 1

Terrain Features

Fallout - -3 food, -3 production, -3 gold, -33% Defence, 2 movement cost, can be removed by workers
Flood Plains - +2 Food, -33% Defence, 1 movement cost, found next to rivers
Forest - +1 Food, +1 Production (no matter what terrain they are on) +25% Defence, 2 movement cost
Ice - no production, impassable except for air units and submarine units
Jungle - +1 food, -1 Production,+25% Defence, 2 movement cost, when chopped they become plains
Marsh - -1 Food, 2 movement cost, -33% Defence
Oasis - +3 Food, 1 movement cost, -33% Defence, only in desert tiles
Rivers - +25% defence bonus defending across a river, +1 Gold to surrounding tiles, crossing a river uses all your remaining movement points

Natural Wonders

These are unique features on the map which give a bonus to your civ's happiness when you find them and a continuing bonus if you found a city near them

They are impassable except for air units and produce +2 Production, +3 Gold

Known Natural Wonders:
Old Faithful in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA
The Great Barrier Reef in the Coral Sea, Queensland, Australia - As it expands across two tiles it gives a bigger bonus than usual
Mount Fuji in Ch&#363;bu region, Honsh&#363;, Japan
The Barringer Crater in Arizona, USA
Lake Titicaca on the Border of Peru and Bolivia
The Grand Mesa in Grand Mesa National Forest, Colorado, USA
Krakatoa in the Sunda Strait, Indonesia
Mt. Everest on the border of Nepal and China [Tibet]
Rock of Gibraltar in Gibraltar, The United Kingdom of Great Brittan and Northern Ireland

Luxury Resources

Cotton - +2 Gold. found on grasslands, plains and desert, needs a plantation
Dyes - +2 Gold. found on jungle and forest, needs a plantation
Furs - +2 Gold. found on tundra and forest, needs a camp
Gems - +3 Gold. found on jungle, grassland, plains, desert and tundra, needs a mine
Gold - +2 Gold. found on grasslands, plains, desert and hills, needs a mine
Incense - +2 Gold. found on desert and plains, needs a plantation
Ivory - +2 Gold. found on plains, needs a camp
Marble - +2 Gold. found on grassland, plains, desert and tundra, needs a quarry
Pearls - +2 Gold. found on coast, needs fishing boats
Silk - +2 Gold. found on forest, needs a plantation
Silver - +2 Gold. found on tundra, desert and hills, needs a mine
Spices - +2 Gold. found on jungle, needs a plantation
Sugar - +2 Gold. found on flood plains and marsh, needs a plantation
Whale - +1 Gold, +1 Food. found on coast, needs fishing boats
Wine - +2 Gold. found on grasslands and plains, needs a plantation

One Luxury Resources is enough for your entire Empire (IGN)

Strategic Resources

Aluminium - +1 Production, found on plains, desert, tundra and hills, Revealed by Electricity, needs a mine, needed to build - Helicopter Gunship, Jet Fighter, Missile Cruiser, Mobile SAM, Modern Armor, Rocket Artillery, Stealth Bomber, Nuclear Submarine, Hydro Plant, Spaceship Factory
Coal - +1 Production, found on grasslands, plains and hills, needs a mine, Revealed by Scientific Theory, needs a mine, needed to build - Ironclad, factory
Horses - +1 Production, found on Plains, grassland and tundra, Revealed by Animal Husbandry, needs a pasture, required to build - Chariot Archer, Companion Cavalry, Horseman, Cavalry,
Cossack,Lancer, Sipahi, Camel Archer, Knight, Mandekalu Cavalry, Stable, Circus
Iron - +1 Production, found on grasslands, plains, desert, tundra, snow or hills, needs a mine, Revealed by Iron Working, required for - Ballista, Catapult, Mohawk Warrior, Swordsman, Longswordsman, Samurai, Trebuchet, Frigate, Ship of the Line, Anti-Aircraft Gun, Anti-Tank Gun, Zero, Forge
Oil - +1 production, found on Jungle, Marsh, Desert, Tundra, Snow and Ocean, needs an oil well or offshore platform, Revealed by Biology, required for Battleship, Carrier, Fighter, Panzer, Submarine, Tank, Zero, B17, Bomber
Uranium - +1 production, found on Forests, Jungle, Marsh, Grassland, Plains, Desert, Tundra,
Snow and Hills, needs a mine, Revealed by Atomic Theory, required for Giant Death Robot, Atomic Bomb, Nuclear Missile, Nuclear Plant

One strategic resources will only allow you to build a limited supply of units that require that resource i.e. one Iron will allow about 5 units bases on Iron IGN

Bonus Resources
Bananas - +1 food, found in jungles, needs a plantation
Cattle - +1 food, found on grasslands, needs a pasture
Deer - +1 food, found on hills, tundra and forest, needs a camp
Fish - +2 Food, found on coast, needs fishing boasts
Sheep - +1 Food, found on Grasslands, plains, desert and hills, needs pasture
Wheat +1 Food, found on flood plains and plains, needs farm

Worker Improvements

Camp - Used to accesses Ivory, Deer and Fur, increases the production of Gold from Ivory and Furs and Food from Deer, Requires Trapping
Farm - +1 Food, Can be built on Grassland, Plains and Desert Tiles as well as built on hills that are adjacent to a river, requires Agriculture
Fort - Provides a defence bonus to the tile, can not be used in enemy territory, requires Engineering
Lumber Mill - Increases the production yield of forest tiles, requires Engineering
Mine - Increases the production of a tile, gives access to several resources like Coal, Gold and Iron, can only be built on hills, requires Mining
Oil Well - Provides access to Oil, Requires Biology
Pasture - Used to get access to Horses, Cattle & Sheep, provided production bonus for Horses and Cattle and a food bonus for Sheep, requires Animal Husbandry
Plantation - Used to get access to Bananas, Silk, Sugar, Wine & Incense
Quarry - Gains access to Marble resource, provides bonus in both gold and production
Trading Post - Increased gold output of map titles, can be built on Grassland, Plains, Desert, & Tundra tiles, Requires Trapping
Road - Increases the movement speed of units moving along them, Connecting cities to your capital will provide a large amount of gold per turn, Costs 1 gold per turn to maintain, Requires The Wheel.
Railroad - Significantly increases the movement speed of units moving across them, Connecting cities to your capital by Railroad will give them a Production bonus, Costs 2 gold per turn to maintain, Requires Railroad

Work Boat Improvements

Fishing Boats - Used to gain access to Fish, Whales, and Pearls resources. Increases the gold yield of the tile for Whale & Pearls and the food production of the Fish, Requires Sailing
Offshore Platform - Provides access to an oil resource found in the sea, Requires Refrigeration

Great People Improvements

Academy - +5 Tech, Built by great scientist
Citadel - +100% defence bonus for unit in tile, any unit next to Citadel at the end of there turn is damaged 3 points, Built by Great General
Customs House - Built by Great Merchant
Landmark - Built by Great Artist
Manufactory - Built by Great Engineer

Ancient Ruins

Ancient Ruins (Goody Huts) will be making a return to Civ , some of the things you can find in them include:
Ancient treasure which provides gold to your civilization.
A map of the surrounding area.
Weapons upgrades. The unit which enters the tile is upgraded to a more advanced unit (a warrior might become a spearman, for example)
Survivors from the earlier civilization. They move to one of your cities, increasing its population by one.
A one-time boost to your culture.
On the easier difficulty levels, ruins can also provide you with free settlers and workers - 2k Greg

Technologies & Research

Research

With a gold down-payment two nations can create a joint research project (Computer Bild Spiele) that gives the players a 15% bonus to research output. (VGChartz)

Ancient Era Techs

Agriculture
Pottery
Animal Husbandry - Unlocks the use of Pastures and reveals Horses
Archery
Mining
Sailing - Unlocks Lighthouse, Fishing Nets,
Calendar - Needed to see Cotton
Writing - Unlocks research pacts
Trapping - Can Construct Camps, Trading Post
The Wheel
Masonry - Allows construction of Walls
Bronze Working

Classical Era Techs

Optics
Philosophy
Horseback Riding
Mathematics - Unlocks catapult and courthouse
Construction
Iron Working

Medieval Era Techs

Theology
Civil Service
Currency - Unlocks Machu Picchu, Market
Engineering - Unlocks lumbermills and forts
Metal Casting
Compass
Education
Chilvalry
Machinery
Physics
Steel

Renaissance Techs

Acoustics - Unlocks Opera House, Sistine Chapel and Angkor Wat
Archaeology
Astronomy
Banking
Chemistry
Economics
Fertilizer
Gunpowder
Metallurgy
Military Science
Navigation
Printing Press
Rifling
Scientific Theory

Industrial Techs

Electricity
Replaceable Parts
Railroad
Dynamite
Refrigeration
Telegraph
Radio
Flight
Combustion
Biology
Steam Power - Unlocks Factory and Ironclad

Modern Techs

Plastics
Penicillin
Electronics - Unlocks Mechanised Infantry
Mass Media
Radar - Unlocks Bomber & Paratrooper
Atomic Theory
Ecology - Unlocks the Solar Plant
Rocketry
Lasers - Unlocks modern armour and jet fighter
Nuclear Fusion
Globalisation
Robotics
Satellites - Unlocks guided missile
Stealth
Advanced Ballistics

Future Era

Particle Physics
Nuclear Fusion
Nanotechnology
Future Tech

DB: We've tested on 12 threads but, I mean, we don't have anything more than 12 to test on but we're pretty confident it'll work with a lot more. Yeah it's amazing how it spreads across the whole system.
support confirmed for at least 12 cores
(Podcast V)

Aw building maintenance is back that sucks. I loved being able to build every building in a city. They better bring the Adam Smith's Trading Company wonder from civ2 back then.

I think you'll have enough gold in Civ5 to build and maintain every building you want. It's just if you do that, you won't have much gold left to buy land, start research pacts or bribe city states.

I think you'll have enough gold in Civ5 to build and maintain every building you want. It's just if you do that, you won't have much gold left to buy land, start research pacts or bribe city states.

True the lack the slider prevents me from using 100% science and running a budget with wonder gold. I most likely will kill all city states I can that are near me and befriend the ones I can't invade. Land buying is the one thing I will need money for but as America I get cheap land so I might get every building.

Building maintenance also means that, if buildings provide a % bonus to gold or science or culture (which seems likely), then there is a minimum size a city needs to be before such a building costs more than it produces. For example, if a market gives +25% gold output and costs 4 gold per turn in maintenance then a city of base yield of x gold makes an additional y gold per turn:

x [tab] y
0 [tab]-4
8 [tab]-2
16[tab]+0
24[tab]+2
32[tab]+4

Seems like this is another mechanism for preventing ICS. Unless of course, you take the decision to spam a huge number of crap cities and build no infrastructure in any of them.

Building maintenance also means that, if buildings provide a % bonus to gold or science or culture (which seems likely), then there is a minimum size a city needs to be before such a building costs more than it produces. For example, if a market gives +25% gold output and costs 4 gold per turn in maintenance then a city of base yield of x gold makes an additional y gold per turn:

x :):):):):) y
0 :):):):):)-4
8 :):):):):)-2
16:):):):):)+0
24:):):):):)+2
32:):):):):)+4

Seems like this is another mechanism for preventing ICS. Unless of course, you take the decision to spam a huge number of crap cities and build no infrastructure in any of them.

Hopefully maintenance on most buildings wont be that high, especially for gold bonus buildings. Also I think you meant to say that there's a minimum in gold production, not size, a city needs to have before it produces more than it costs, not costs more than it produces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom