Arioch's Analyst Thread

What's the logic behind the Egyptian War Chariot not requiring horses? It certainly looks like its being pulled by a team of horses. :crazyeye:

I believe it was because the Egyptians galvanized their chariot prowess from fighting against the foreign invasion forces of the Hyksos and eventually used them to push them out of Egypt.

Not having to secure horses to make a kickass unit will allow this building-oriented civ a chance to repel pillaging invaders in the early game.

My guess is that, since it's the earliest resource required unit (with no Axemen), having it require a resource would weaken it too significantly.

Personally, I'd love the Egyptian Chariot to require horses (a) because it has horses in the unit and (b) so, if they add the Sumerians, they can give them an Onager Chariot, since it's quite possibly the only halfway decently named unit that they could possibly come up with for them (although a Vulture-like unit that fights in a Phalanx isn't necessarily a bad unit, just poorly named).

Ok some info from Polycast 1hr inteview I noted down. P.s it's a great listen so go and listen

Modability

UI - Your going to be able to have access to all the current code (thats what they said I think) on the UI so you should be able to modify the UI however you want.

AI Leader Head - Again, you can mod these using existing code, sounds promising again.

Mod Scanner, to protect from viruses. - Nice feature to protect all us mod users from some nasty people :D.

Mod Buddy - easy to use packager to compile the mod and upload it to the modbrowser for users.
This should allow more people to get into modding, Mod buddy, nice name :p.

Mod's can be installed easily with a click of a button
Mods can be pick and mixed as to what you want on or off very easily.
- Mods will be very accessible for users so thats cool, you can do it all from in the game which is much better than restarting it.

Maps

Map maker has a log of everything done so you can undo/redo every decision easily to help correct mistakes on making the map
Map maker can assign special functions to individual tiles say what wheather is going on, and the game will recognise these.
- Apparently this will be good for mapmakers :D

Earth will come as a map type, you can play it on any size.
Earth map will have random starting location / resources e.t.c, so the maptype is replayable.
- This will make some of you guys happy that love playing on Earth maps, any size, replayability with random spawning, nice nice :).

Barbarian Art

Barbarains have unique art in the classical era, they should look scary, but as the likelyhood of seeing them later in the game is low their isnt specific art for Barbarian battleships or GDR's :)
- So we will be getting unique looking warriors/archers/spearmen/swordsmen e.t.c, which will be cool, especially for Germany who steals them.

I apologize in advance if this is not the proper thread, but I thought it'd be better to put whatever miscellaneous question I have here instead of creating separate threads each time. Anyways, I had a question that came up:

Let's say a tile flips is or is bought, and, as a result, the unit that previously occupied that tile has no adjacent unoccupied friendly and neutral tiles.

What happens to that unit? Is it automatically disbanded? Or is the unit given a time frame within which to move to a friendly or neutral tile?

I know you've listed the defensive bonus for rough terrain in other pages, but do you think you could list them in the Terrain types page and get rid of those question marks?

Also, in the Cities page, it still says that it's unknown whether City Health is still a factor. We know now that it is not.

We can also finally put the social policy exclusivity argument to rest via Jon Schafer on the podcast:

"There are certain branches that won't work at the same time, for example Liberty and Autocracy. You switch to Autocracy, you have to switch out of liberty if that's what you picked earlier in the game."

We can also finally put the social policy exclusivity argument to rest via Jon Schafer on the podcast:

"There are certain branches that won't work at the same time, for example Liberty and Autocracy. You switch to Autocracy, you have to switch out of liberty if that's what you picked earlier in the game."

:woohoo:

Finally! Maybe the best quote in weeks!

This is a massive relief to me, though they didn't entirely answer the question-namely, are there other penalties for switching ;).

Aussie.

This is a massive relief to me, though they didn't entirely answer the question-namely, are there other penalties for switching ;).

I think losing several already discovered social policies is huge enough penalty, so I think switching mutually exclusive police will occur very, very rare.

I think losing several already discovered social policies is huge enough penalty, so I think switching mutually exclusive police will occur very, very rare.

....and so the debate continues ;). Seriously though, I read that post to mean that you *can* switch back to liberty & regain all the benefits you had prior to the switch-but obviously you'd then lose access to all the Autocracy benefits.

Aussie.

Let's say a tile flips is or is bought, and, as a result, the unit that previously occupied that tile has no adjacent unoccupied friendly and neutral tiles. What happens to that unit? Is it automatically disbanded? Or is the unit given a time frame within which to move to a friendly or neutral tile?
Well, tiles don't flip; you can only gain a tile that's unclaimed. But if you buy a tile with a unit on it that doesn't have an open borders agreement with you, it will probably just be teleported to the nearest available open tile, just as it is in Civ IV. Whether there's room adjacent doesn't really matter... in Civ IV, a unit could be teleported halfway across the world if necessary due to a change in borders or border agreements.

....and so the debate continues ;). Seriously though, I read that post to mean that you *can* switch back to liberty & regain all the benefits you had prior to the switch-but obviously you'd then lose access to all the Autocracy benefits.

Yes, but anyway, you'll loose some bonuses, since you can't have active at the same time.

As a Brazilian let me say that if this is the bonus it is very, very funny. :D

Anyway, as we know, wonders were reworked recently for greater bonuses. So not sure if that's the final bonus ability or not.

Polycast RE: Social Policies - you can save culture and buy multiple Policies at once. They use Rationalism as an example, saving culture until it is unlocked, and then buying multiple Policies.

Polycast RE: Social Policies - you can save culture and buy multiple Policies at once. They use Rationalism as an example, saving culture until it is unlocked, and then buying multiple Policies.

It's more and more interesting. This could open some interesting strategies.

:king: My biggest concern! Now I'm at least halfway relieved :cool:

I wonder what could be penalty?

- Simply losing all the culture spent? If so, are the prices of policies also reduced accordingly?

- The SP tree stays purchased, and switching is payed with anarchy (One single review said this).

- You might get the culture of the deactivated SPs refunded, but it could cost anarchy turns relative to how deep you were in the deactivated tree.

On another topic: helicopters being able to fly over coast is awesome! I always wished this would have worked in civ4. I wonder if some players will use gunships and planes to protect their coast now and save the money for a navy?

Top Bottom