The UU-A-Day Countdown

Nothing in the strategy guide regarding bombing improvements. Based on the use of great person improvements I'm leaning towards no, but I'm not sure.

Nothing in the strategy guide regarding bombing improvements. Based on the use of great person improvements I'm leaning towards no, but I'm not sure.

Pillage is still there for GP improvements (if they are not indestructible). Also, since pillaged improvements don't disappear (and are faster to rebuild), they could allow workers to rebuild GP improvements.
I'm more interested, however, in bombing roads/railroads - with 1upt they will become even more important, then before...

Perhaps fighters can strafe units/improvements while bombers are limited to cities? Although that makes bombers fairly redundant for small engagements.

I'm really curious how air defense will work in 1UPT. I imagine fighters will have an intercept range where they can intercept bombers in more places than just where they are stationed (and I know they aren't subject to 1UPT anyway). What I am most curious about is the flak/anti-aircraft ground unit. I wonder if it only defends the hex that it's parked on, or adjacent hexes, or anything in the "flight path" of the offending bomber, etc.

What I am most curious about is the flak/anti-aircraft ground unit. I wonder if it only defends the hex that it's parked on, or adjacent hexes, or anything in the "flight path" of the offending bomber, etc.
Ground interception units have an interception range (ie they protect their own tile and every other tile in a <range> radius). This seems to be 1 for the AA flak gun, and 2 for the mobile SAM.

No, the spearman defensive-only thing was bad information. More recent stuff confirms it as a Combat bonus.

I was fairly sure the defensive only was confirmed, and it wasn't that long ago, if you have a recent source or any source showing the spearmans bonus then can you show it to me.
P.s I'm glad, the "only to defence" +100% bonus would have been uber lame.

My thought on the B17, for what it is, it'll be good. But it's lateness means it isn't overwhelmingly good.

Hopefully, air units will be more useful this time around. Civ has traditionally been heavily ground unit based with air and sea units taking a backseat.

Without knowing how air combat works now it's hard to say much about it, but I think it's a great iconic plane to use as a UU. :)

If the bit on Arioch's site about them having 2 movement is correct, well that just pwns. I take it as meaning that you can fly the bomber to a city and go on a bombing run with it in the same turn. If you can move after bombing too, then you can rotate two cities worth of planes through one city for twice the number of bombing runs.

If the bit on Arioch's site about them having 2 movement is correct, well that just pwns. I take it as meaning that you can fly the bomber to a city and go on a bombing run with it in the same turn. If you can move after bombing too, then you can rotate two cities worth of planes through one city for twice the number of bombing runs.

Well generally Attacking ends turn (some units are exceptions)

Perhaps fighters can strafe units/improvements while bombers are limited to cities? Although that makes bombers fairly redundant for small engagements.

can say for certain thats wrong, just saw a stealth bomber attack an artillery. on a hill

4 days remaining! Half a week left, and our long long wait will be over - at least, until we start clamoring for CivVI. :D

Tonight's UU is the Russian Cossack, another veteran of past games. These famous border peoples are historically irrepressible and known for their martial prowess; thus, in Civ5, they get a bonus against wounded units.

This is a tough ability to assess, since once again, it relies on how you use it. The obvious use is to pair your Cossacks with ranged attackers (Cannon and leftover Crossbowmen) and bombard, but in doing so you lose out on the Cossack's mobility. Of course, with the sheer power of this combination, you might not miss it. :D Alternatively, if you prefer using your cavalry as flankers, you can use this UU brilliantly: take a front that's damaged and smash through with Cossacks. As a detachment for pillaging/intercepting, this bonus is less impressive. It's certainly useful - extra damage on the second attack never hurt - but not enough to merit special attention. Furthermore, the specific bonus against wounded units is unknown; not even the manual discusses it, so I can't say much certain about its usefulness. I suspect this is a unit that may be wonderful, or merely decent, but will require some field testing to see.

4 days remaining! Half a week left, and our long long wait will be over - at least, until we start clamoring for CivVI. :D

Tonight's UU is the Russian Cossack, another veteran of past games. These famous border peoples are historically irrepressible and known for their martial prowess; thus, in Civ5, they get a bonus against wounded units.

This is a tough ability to assess, since once again, it relies on how you use it. The obvious use is to pair your Cossacks with ranged attackers (Cannon and leftover Crossbowmen) and bombard, but in doing so you lose out on the Cossack's mobility. Of course, with the sheer power of this combination, you might not miss it. :D Alternatively, if you prefer using your cavalry as flankers, you can use this UU brilliantly: take a front that's damaged and smash through with Cossacks. As a detachment for pillaging/intercepting, this bonus is less impressive. It's certainly useful - extra damage on the second attack never hurt - but not enough to merit special attention. Furthermore, the specific bonus against wounded units is unknown; not even the manual discusses it, so I can't say much certain about its usefulness. I suspect this is a unit that may be wonderful, or merely decent, but will require some field testing to see.

What the hell? No "4 days left of Civ IV" reference? Ashamed...

Cossacks. They seem pretty nice, assuming that you fight wounded units often, which I shall assume so. After all, Bushido wouldn't be that useful otherwise. So... Nice unit. The only question is... how well will Cathy use them?

A unit with Bushido is still wounded.

As a side note, it will be interesting to see if this translates to Cossacks getting the "Charge" promotion (+25% vs. wounded units) right off the bat or if it is passive and they can take "Charge" also. One can assume that it would be a +25% boost so if it stacks with Charge they get +50% vs. a wounded unit! Assuming Shock II, Flanking, and Charge, that Strength 25 Cossack would get 105% strength against a unit in open territory. That would put them over even a Shock I promoted Mech Infantry!!

I really think that this is a free "charge" promotion though because IIRC Greg had free "Shock I" on his Samurai which covered their "strength against units in open terrain." (Though on the other hand, it says "Shock I" in the Samurai desc. in the strat. guide and just "bonus against wounded" for Cossack...) We'll know Tuesday...

3 days remaining. 3 is the combat strength of the weakest combat unit, the Chariot Archer, and thus the bane of many an ancient rusher.

For today, we'll move to a long-time enigma, the Malinese Mandekalu Cavalry. This unit is more a representation of Mali's military strength than any specific unit, and thus carries with it the Malinese conquests/expansion. Fittingly, this UU has a +30% combat strength against cities, making conquest easier with this Knight replacement.

This is something of a weird unit, since mounted units in Civ5 aren't really built for sieges. Siege engines siege, and powerful infantry hold lines during siege, but swift cavalry aren't the best for it. Thus, the Mandekalu Cavalry is a unit that picks up a secondary role to its battlefield maneuverability - that of city-buster. The most obvious use of this UU is to supplement siege weapons in taking down cities by swinging in with its 24 combat strength. By bringing a few Mandekalu in with your main force, you can take down cities much quicker than via Pikemen or Longswordsmen. Another possible tactic is to take a small detachment (5-6), use their 3 move to get them behind enemy defenses, and start razing cities. Doing so will certainly accelerate the capitulation process. :D

Malinese Mandikaulau? I think you mean Songhai right? Other than that it is a nice unit and good at attacking cities.

A unit with Bushido is still wounded.

As a side note, it will be interesting to see if this translates to Cossacks getting the "Charge" promotion (+25% vs. wounded units) right off the bat or if it is passive and they can take "Charge" also. One can assume that it would be a +25% boost so if it stacks with Charge they get +50% vs. a wounded unit! Assuming Shock II, Flanking, and Charge, that Strength 25 Cossack would get 105% strength against a unit in open territory. That would put them over even a Shock I promoted Mech Infantry!!

I really think that this is a free "charge" promotion though because IIRC Greg had free "Shock I" on his Samurai which covered their "strength against units in open terrain." (Though on the other hand, it says "Shock I" in the Samurai desc. in the strat. guide and just "bonus against wounded" for Cossack...) We'll know Tuesday...

If you are expecting to get things like cho-ku-nos shooting 4 times, and longbowmen with 4 range, you will be sorely mistaken.

Top Bottom