Many Leaders Game 9 - Civilization 5

Well, that was a kick in the pants. I'm playing Darius of Persia, and things did not go according to plan.

Spoiler :
My plan was to go for an early-middle conquest push with Immortals during my first golden age. That theoretically could still happen, except that my closest neighbor is too far away for convenience. So I'm planning for a more economic focused game now, using golden ages on plains and river hills for massive bonuses. In that vein, I'm saving my civics for the Piety path - 25% off golden age costs looks critical from my perspective. My tech path beelined for Bronze Working, then Calendar, and now Trapping. I went for Bronze Working first in the hopes of making a rush work, but I'm nowhere near any opponent that I can bumrush with Immortals. Maybe if Suliman expands south... but he'd have to get past the barbarian encampments that I've left intact explicitly to mess with his expansion (since he doesn't seem to be building much military, it should hold him back significantly).

The problem is that this start is chronically food-short. I seriously considered moving the Settler, but went with settle in place. Hard choice, though I'm not sure that moving would have been any better. I probably should have just bought the fish tile after settling in place instead of spending all this time saving for a maritime alliance (though I'll have that soon).

I'm inclined towards a midgame dominance push, but it's taking forever just to get off the ground. If I can exploit the surrounding empty vastness, then I should be able to rev up and steamroll Suliman later. But damn, it's taking forever to grow... :cry:

No real details because there are no details to report. Well, I did get a worker from a Barb encampment, which will be nice as my expansion plan kicks off, but that's about it. Oh, and my first constructed Settler is due in a few turns.

Attachments

• mlg9-Persia 2000bc.Civ5Save
    457.5 KB · Views: 141
I updated my post (#57) to make the long report readable and upload the turn 50 demographics. By the end of this game I hereby promise to find my photobucket password and to embed images with links instead of simply attaching them.

Interesting to read the other starts so far it looks like I was the only one to:
Spoiler :

• Ally with a City State -- because of +30pts for returning their captured worker. I've also killed 1 or 2 barbarians for them in their current quest to kill 3 barbarians (I hate that quest).
  • Found 3 cities (probably too close to eachother :crazyeye:...time will tell)
  • Not find Catherine (I'm still not convinced about Civ 5 scouts but I have no excuse for this...lazy scouting on my part)
  • Have an incompetent Ottoman neighbor that didn't build a 2nd city. Actually I think there was one other where they didn't build. It's really terrible...whether it's prince or Diety. The AI needs to be fixed so their Warrior-Settler pair will go out regardless of neighboring barbarians. I hope that they don't also wait around due to human and/or AI players.

No idea if any of the above will be that critical especially since my cities are size 3, 2, & 1 but it's interesting to see 50 turns be this different.

Oh, can we? I thought only after the game is finished.
Oh...I have no idea actually. For the first 50 turns it likely wouldn't make a difference, but you do have a point. First time I've done this and I assumed part of the process was seeing how the games were going differently. I'll do whatever I'm supposed to in the future.

That is all I get when I try to post a picture, will post report when I figure out how.

Welcome to the forums :)

I use Imageshack as online image storing device. Once posted there, you can copy/paste the link to your screenshot and place it in between the 'IMG' '/IMG' codes.
Good luck,

Spoiler :

I chose the Egyptian, because of the happiness from the burial tombs and war chariots are also powerful early on.

Not sure which victory to pursue, but I do plan to clean the starting continent from whomever is there...
I plan to save money and buy a settler.
Focus on war chariots to rush someone...
Build stonehenge.

0-Move warrior onto the hill to reveal sheep and elephant. Triple resource start, looks like we can do some expanding.
Settler is moved across the river as I reckon I can fit in a coastal town to the west.
Thebes starts scout.
Research is set to beeline warchariots.
2-Barb camps all around and marble up north. Jummie!
6-Beat the barb camp and decide to use promo for healing (bad choice...)
8-Scout completed, worker next.
Mt Fiji discovered.
9-Wine is also spotted in close vicinity
10-AH > the wheel
13-Suleiman is on my island (but not for long)
22-the wheel is in (war chariots)
worker ready>war chariot next
next beeline for Stonehenge > pottery next
25-Istanbul is spotted up north
26-CS Brussels met (cultured)
I adopt honor tree to manage barbarians
28-CS Copenhagen met (maritime)
35-War chariot ready, new one started
42-Calendar in > Philosophy next (for burial tombs)
48-Settler purchased
Stonehenge started

So there I am at turn 50, one city, pop 5 in 1 turn. Settler about to settle next city.
Outside Istanbul, I got 2 war chariots and 1 warrior about to take 1-2 cities and workers. Stonehenge ready in 12 turns with forest chop. Potentially 4-5 luxuries developed and ready to build burial tombs.

Not a bad start...

Attachments

• mlg9-Egypt turn 50.Civ5Save
    575.1 KB · Views: 147
I'll add some screenshots too....

2 questions -
1. Are there any standard shots to include? map, demo, city screen?
2. How do I take screenshot in jpg? standard is tga? Or how do I convert to jpg?

I'll add some screenshots too....

2 questions -
1. Are there any standard shots to include? map, demo, city screen?
2. How do I take screenshot in jpg? standard is tga? Or how do I convert to jpg?

1. There are some numbers on Demographics screen (F9) might be worth to compare with others.
2. You can choose from many freebies like paint.NET

I'm a big fan of Google's Picasa free photo storing/sharing program. TGA files aren't pulled in by default but they can be added. The great part about Picasa is that you can grab a bunch of photos and export them from Picasa and resize them.

So you:
-Set up Picasa to 'pull in' TGA files and update from the Civ folders
-Open Picasa
-Do any simple/quick edits
-Grab all of the photos you want to use
-Export them to somewhere on your computer and resize them (to 640 pixels wide, 800 pixels wide, 1024, etc.)
-Upload to Imageshack/photobucket/other free online photo site

Note: I will do this for my next report

I'm a big fan of Google's Picasa free photo storing/sharing program. TGA files aren't pulled in by default but they can be added. The great part about Picasa is that you can grab a bunch of photos and export them from Picasa and resize them.

So you:
-Set up Picasa to 'pull in' TGA files and update from the Civ folders
-Open Picasa
-Do any simple/quick edits
-Grab all of the photos you want to use
-Export them to somewhere on your computer and resize them (to 640 pixels wide, 800 pixels wide, 1024, etc.)
-Upload to Imageshack/photobucket/other free online photo site

Note: I will do this for my next report

Whenever I export them, the are still TGA, I followed all the steps, are you missing something?

Top Bottom