Auto unit cycling

Yeah, weren't the notifications supposed to get rid of this?

The cycling by itself is cool, it helps to prevent forgetting about an unit. But I mean how difficult can that be to set up cycling ONLY when you'll press "End Turn" button? But before I'll do that leave me the **** alone and let me play the game in the order I want, mmk?

And to think how uberawzomroxorz the reviewers were that unlike that horrible Civ4 the UI is soooo unobtrusive - all the tasks are neatly flowing on the side of the screen, letting you do them whenever you want... :clap:

I recently discovered that turning off that annoying Auto Unit Cycling is as simple as editing a single XML file. I tested it in single player so I know it works, but I haven't tested it in Multiplayer yet.

To find the correct file navigate to your Steam folder and look in the GameInfo folder at this path:

(I'm on XP so your path MIGHT be different if you're on a different OS)
..\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo

Look for this .xml file and open it with a text editor. I used Notepad:

CIV5PlayerOptions.xml

After you've opened the file search for this line of code:

<Type>PLAYEROPTION_NO_UNIT_CYCLING</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_PLAYER_OPTION_NO_UNIT_CYCLING</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_PLAYER_OPTION_NO_UNIT_CYCLING_HELP</Help>
<Default>false</Default>

Change the boolean argument of false to true and it should look like this:

<Type>PLAYEROPTION_NO_UNIT_CYCLING</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_PLAYER_OPTION_NO_UNIT_CYCLING</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_PLAYER_OPTION_NO_UNIT_CYCLING_HELP</Help>
<Default>true</Default>

Be sure to save and then enjoy manually cycling your units! As I said before, I have only tested this in Singleplayer so use it at your own risk in Multiplayer. Since it's just a player option I can't imagine how it would conflict with the normal operation of a MP game. I'll probably get a chance to test in MP later today but by then I'm sure one of you will have already done so and posted your results :D

EDIT... There are some other cool options in the file as well, such as making Auto Workers leave forests. It's funny how much redundant code there is in those files. I read something about religion in one of them lol. Too bad the options aren't available in the gui :(

Raethwyn, that's awesome thanks! :goodjob: I had thought for a small moment that this might be somewhere in the xml, but I never bothered to check. :(

It should be possible to turn this into a mod. I'll see if I can work it out, though someone will probably do it in the meantime - I'm pretty slow :lol:

EDIT... Yay I did it. :)

EDIT... No Unit Cycling was added to options in the patch 1.0.0.62. Please note there is no longer any need to use this mod if you have that or a later patch.

With special thanks to Raethwyn

This is a simple mod that makes the change Raethwyn suggested above, without having to edit the game files yourself. It disables automatic unit cycling, which is the culprit for making many players get seasick playing this game. :vomit:

To install:
1. Extract to your mods directory. (My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Mods)
2. Enable from the mod browser in-game.

To use:
After you've given a unit orders, you can use the mouse to select another unit, or you can press the 'W' key to select the next unit awaiting orders.

Attachments

• No Unit Cycling (v 1).zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 945
Reathwyn, you are my User Of The Day now, and I can assure you that you put the competition into shame so you might as well be my User Of The Month - many many many thanks for that, and obviously kudos to PieceOfMind for making a convenient way of implementing it :king:

Now I've found a workaround of the bloated savegames reload crash bug, now only to confirm that and if so a large chunk of Civ5 vanilla release will be eliminated - well done! :goodjob:

That's a cool mod PieceofMind; Thanks for making it! I'm sure it'll come in handy if Steam decides to overwrite several files during a patch process. It would get annoying if I had to keep modifying the file manually :crazyeye:

@Guardian_PL I'm honored hehe. I've lurked around these threads for a while and it feels good to finally be able to contribute something useful to my fellow Civ Fanatics!

In fairness, this is one of the things that makes me grind my teeth in both Civ IV and Civ V.

Not only unit cycling, but e.g. when you explicitly click on a particular unit and the camera pans halfway 'round the world to show you a city which needs production :-/

It's particularly irksome if you're in the middle of a battle!

If somebody could implement the following in either Civ IV or V, I'd greatly appreciate it:

IF unit has movement points within camera's field-of-view
cycle to that unit
ELSE
cycle to next unit in list

:)

I'm on this band wagon too. I especially love when I get just enough time to click on a unit and it still throws me to some other corner of the map.

In fairness, this is one of the things that makes me grind my teeth in both Civ IV and Civ V.

Not only unit cycling, but e.g. when you explicitly click on a particular unit and the camera pans halfway 'round the world to show you a city which needs production :-/

If somebody could implement the following in either Civ IV or V, I'd greatly appreciate it:

cycle to that unit
ELSE

I think that when a unit uses up its movement points its icon darkens, while units with moves remaining have brighter icons over their heads. If that's true then I hope it helps until someone can implement the feature you mentioned.

cycle to that unit
ELSE

Yeah well and when you hit "End Turn" it does transfer you to the unit that hadn't had orders this turn yet.

But for now, Raethwyn's mod is all I need. And honestly, I don't give a rat's arse about Steam achievements - "1. Finish the game on Prince level 2. Finish the game on Chieftain level 3. Use a promotion on a unit 4. Discover a tech 5. Start the game" - seriously, some achievements they are... :rolleyes:

Not that they'll get deleted, I just reinstalled the whole game while deleting numerous files and it's all there, so no panic.

I think I am finding out why this option is not included in the game.

It seems it reveals a few minor bugs. For example, it seems to cause multiple-turn move orders not work properly.

It's nothing major, and certainly not a big enough problem to steer one away from using it, but I think I am seeing Firaxis' cunning. ;)

This is seriously getting on my nerves.

Is there a way to avoid switching to the other end of the map to move a stupid worker while I'm planning every little step of my army while assaulting a city ?

This is ridiculous, at least civil and military units shouldn't be mixed in the cycle.

Any help is welcome, thanks.

You can double-tap X on your gamepad to turn this off.

Welcome to the stone-age. "Turn cycle units off" -- Was that guy fired for being to intelligent for the target group?

I think I am finding out why this option is not included in the game.

It seems it reveals a few minor bugs. For example, it seems to cause multiple-turn move orders not work properly.

It's nothing major, and certainly not a big enough problem to steer one away from using it, but I think I am seeing Firaxis' cunning. ;)

I had originally done this mod for myself, but I didn't care for that along with units still remaining selected after completing turns, so I stopped using it and never released it. I'm currently trying to figure out a better way to implement this.

I had originally done this mod for myself, but I didn't care for that along with units still remaining selected after completing turns, so I stopped using it and never released it. I'm currently trying to figure out a better way to implement this.

Ok, please don't hesitate to share with us if you do. :)

I agree it's a bit weird using it, but I think it's totally worth it. The headache it saves particularly in wartime easily outweighs the minor inconvenience during peacetime where it is not so elegant.

It has started at last. Modders are finishing this game. Refund! The end is nigh!

Top Bottom