The Conquests

Chapter 15: It Was All Luck

The period of the next few decades is known to all as a period when the Random Number Gods likely got bored and decided to torment mortals for the lulz for a while. Or something like that. That is, at least the best explanation leading scientists in Luckology have given for the events to unfold. Others think there wasn't that much of a difference in luck, just some people's perception of it, and the Random Number Gods always acted like that.

In war news, in 82 AD, Carthage and Persia sent Heavy Cavalry at each other near Antioch and Carrhae. Both lost 2 units of them. Farther north, Persians attacked Macedonian Hoplites with Heavy Cavalry, the result being 1 dead Cavalry unit and 1 dead Hoplite unit.

Scythia's list of "reasons why Scythia is screwed" gained another thing on the list, when Carthage got the Goths to declare war on them. Again. This was shortly followed by the somewhat hilarious declaration of war by the Goths against Carthage, with the Romans being the ones that allied the Goths against them.

The Persian Cavalry were starting to look like they could threaten Sidon and maybe Ancyra now, as well as some workers. Macedon would have none of that, and so Ajax went North, and killed one unit of them before running out of steam. Then Hoplites and Catapults attempted to kill the other one... and it retreated, conveniently leaving a bunch of Fire Catapults stranded with no way to defend them. Nice.

Pyrrhus had no better luck retaking Zela, as his army was barely able to defeat a single Spearmen defending the city. Sigh...

87 AD continued the trend of "What more could go wrong?", when Persia signed two military alliances with Rome, against the only other two nations the Romans weren't at war with- the Macedonians and the Goths.

At the very least, Alex assumes that was a Persian alliance, as the Romans had no reason to declare war on the Goths on their own, and nobody else could have signed the alliance when everyone but Persia was at war with Rome.

On one hand, Alex finds it kind of funny that, yet again, someone was convinced to declare war on someone else they'd just signed an alliance with, but he's still mad that Rome is now at war with them again. But hey, at least that's less money the Persians can spend rushing billions of Heavy Cavalry, and it's not like the Romans seem to care enough to fight Macedon anyway.

In worse news, bad losses were suffered. And not just the catapults that were expected. Well, those were lost, too. But more importantly, a little earlier, Heavy Cavalry had poured into Sidon, killing the two units of Hoplites defending the now-Persian-again city.

To make matters worse, near Antioch, undefended now that Ajax had left it, Persian Heavy Cavalry and Immortals killed Carthaginian Heavy Cavalry and Numidian Mercenaries that were between them and the city. With the roads around Sidon in Persian hands again, Ajax couldn't get back there in time to save Antioch. It would, again, be Persian, unless they could retake Sidon quickly.

To add icing to the "This Sucks" cake, Persia burned two Scythian cities, Karakol and Smela. Karakol was the capital, forcing the government within to go find a new place to live. They chose Kul Oba, in Crimea.

In less bad news, Rome captured La Tene, the most cultured city the Celts had left, as well as the oldest city they had left.

Luckily, the catapults hadn't moved much, just crossed the river. Actually, this was good, as they were, in 90 AD, right outside Sidon. It was an easy task for the Macedonian Heavy Cavalry to kill the Cavalry defending the catapults and take them back- and they could now be used to fire at Sidon.

Or, could have been, but all the catapults either missed or hit a magical barrier generated by Hadrian's Wall. Stupid Hadrian's Wall.

Ulysses and Ajax, thankfully, were more lucky, and managed to crush the defending Spearmen unit and two Heavy Cavalry units. But this, sadly, meant that Ajax didn't have time to get to Antioch. Ah well, it shouldn't be too hard to recapture.

Unlike Zela, where a Heavy Cavalry unit died barely able to hurt the defending Spearmen.

Antioch fell to the Cavalry in 92.

To make this worse, the Persian Galleys hanging around near Cyprus with nowhere to go now had somewhere to go, and retreated to Antioch. They'd undoubtedly send another freakin Heavy Cavalry there to die and annoy the defenders.

In 95, some bored advisors decided to figure out how they could make the already large Macedonian surplus bigger. They realized that, as the scientists weren't doing anything much anyway, they could just cut their funding down to "enough so that one scientist in the middle of nowhere does all the research in the country" with no longer time taken. They also noticed that large amounts of gold were being spent on alliances with the Carthaginians and Goths that expired a while ago, and didn't need to be spent unless the Goths or Carthaginians made peace with Persia.

97 saw the first battle of the Carthage-Goths war that the Macedonians were aware of, with War Elephants killing a Gothic Warrior and Archer unit near Marathon and Mycenae. The Goths must have been on their way East to fight Scythia, as, presumably, were the Carthaginians, initially. Speaking of which, the Goths captured Solokha, a Scythian city just to the North of their current capital. Alex had expected them to recapture Ubii first.

Farther Northwest, the Romans razed Vellaunodunum, the Easternmost city belonging to the Celts.

The Macedonian Army couldn't do anything interesting, as they were too busy healing.

In 102, the Carthaginians and Goths continued fighting, Carthage mostly winning but losing a war elephant. They had a stronger military, but a smaller military.

A Celtic dude showed up in Athens that year, with the following demand:

Alex stared at him and laughed. "Are you on drugs? I see no other plausible explanation for why you think the Celts are any threat to us in the slightest. You can't even get here with the Romans in the way."

The Celt replied, "Well, yes, I'm on drugs, but that has nothing to do with the demand!"

Not long after, Brennus received a message from several of the people in Alex's palace containing a request for whatever it was this guy was on, as it looked hilarious and awesome.

Shockingly predictable as ever, Persian Galleys headed towards Cyprus. OMFG I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!

Also, Scythia and Rome signed a peace treaty. Like it mattered...

Finally, in 105, the Macedonian Army could attack again. At Zela, Ulysses' Army and a Cavalry killed a unit of Spearmen and Heavy Cavalry. Alex has come to expect the defenders of a city being either 3 units of Spearmen or 1 of Spearmen and 2 of Heavy Cavalry. To the south, Ajax killed a unit of Spearmen in Antioch.

107 was largely uneventful, the Goths and Carthaginians finished battling with Carthage losing their last War Elephant. Other than that, nothing... oh wait, yeah, Rome captured the Celtic capital, Bibracte. Forgot about that. Brennus moved north to Bratispantium, their northernmost mainland city. Alex thought they'd be smarter to just head to Britain, as they'd lose everything else to Rome soon enough anyway.

110 was a good year, which started off on the sour note of a Heavy Cavalry unit being killed by the Heavy Cavalry defending Zela. But after that, Pyrrhus' army mopped them up, as well as the Spearmen recently trained to defend the city.

To the South, Ajax and his army killed the two units of spearmen defending Antioch, captured some spearmen, and the city was again Macedonian.

Lastly, on top of the rubble which had long ago been the city of Corinth, the city of Halicarnassus was built.

In 112, something wholly unprecedented happened. It had never been done before, and would likely never be done again. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Persians unloaded on Cyprus... TWO units of Heavy Cavalry. OH NOEZ!!!!!!!11one111!!! They would surely be able to take Thermopylae now.

Meanwhile, the Goths finally recaptured Ubii, the city they'd long ago lost to Scythia, but, on the downside for them, they lost Langobardi, their Southernmost city not captured from Scythia. It was burned by Rome. Rome is sure doing well up North, beating both the Celts and Goths simultaneously, but, then again, those two are both weak, and Rome is strong.

Two Heavy Cavalry units and an Immortal unit were killed in various places by Macedonian Heavy Cavalry in 115, and one of the units of Cavalry on Cyprus was killed by the Hoplite defenders. As there was now only one left, and two of them, they made the decision to not attack, as that would leave only one injured one left if they lost. If they lost when the Persians attacked in 117, then they'd be injured and more time would be bought.

They never regretted a decision more in their life. Those Cavalry killed the Hoplites in Thermopylae. They suffered no injuries. They even got stronger. The following comment was reported to be spoken by the governor of Thermopylae: "FUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!"

Also, the Goths requested Macedonian help against Scythia, which the Macedonians declined for obvious reasons. They also signed a peace treaty with Persia.

In 120, with little that could be done in Cyprus, the Macedonian army just prayed to the Random Number Gods and got some Galleys ready to go take it back if that didn't work. The Workers on the island also joined the city to deny Persia them and to boost the defensive bonus.

Meanwhile, the army advanced on Borazjan, Melitene, and Carrhae. Ajax's Army killed a Spear unit in Carrhae, and Pyrrhus did likewise in Borazjan. Ulysses captured some workers, and Cavalry killed some Archers near Melitene.

Said Cavalry, were, of course, killed by Persian Cavalry in 122.

The defenders of Thermopylae were prepared. They got their spears, set up defenses, sacrificed goats to the Random Number Gods, and prepared their best "SPARTAAAA!!!" yells. But it was all in vain, as they could not defeat these Cavalry. After centuries of trying, the Persians finally captured Thermopylae on their last try.

Galleys prepare to make it Macedonian again.

In less interesting news, the Romans captured Decetia, a small city East of Bibracte which was, at the time, the Easternmost city the Celts still owned.

Macedon was in full on vengeance mode in 125 due to the lack of Dyes that were on Cyprus. One of the Galleys that had given the Persians a ride there were sunk to the bottom of the Sea. Ajax's Army killed 2 units of Spearmen and a unit of Cavalry in Carrhae, incredulous that there were still more defenders. And Pyrrhus killed the remaining two units of Spearmen in Borazjan, making the city and a worker owned by Macedon.

Persia attempted to have similar success in their 127 attacks, but only managed to kill 2 Macedonian Heavy Cavalry around Melitene at the cost of one of their own.

The Romans asked Macedon for peace that year. They wanted some gold, but it wasn't much, and Alex decided to accept rather than have to pay more for peace later, which might well have happened.

Someone, either Persia or the Goths, burned a city belonging to Scythia to the North of Kul Oba that wasn't on Macedonian Maps. Alex thinks it was called Alania, but isn't sure.

On the morning of August 24, 129, the citizens of Messina, Carthage, on the island of Sicily, were awoken by the strange sound of loud rumbling and the sight of smoke. Mt. Etna, the volcano to the Southwest of the city, was erupting.

Shortly after, the city was reported destroyed by ash fall and pyroclastic flow. There was a bunch of rubble where it used to be.

The Macedonians saw great successes... wait, no, no they didn't, they still had crap luck... in the year 130. Ulysses' Army was able to kill 3 Spearmen defending Melitene. The army was badly injured, but... wait, there's still Cavalry defending the city? Are you kidding me?

And... Heavy Cavalry were killed by Heavy Cavalry defending Carrhae. Zeus Damn It. Eh, at least Ajax's army managed to kill them and the other Cavalry, taking the city and 3 workers. But only with large losses.

This was followed by Hoplites/Cavalry fighting Persian Cavalry, with both Persia and Macedon losing one Heavy Cavalry unit, near Antioch. GRRRR.

And then in the Black Sea, A Galley attacking a Persian Galley found themselves on the bottom of the sea doing no damage. Really?

The Persians luckily didn't attack in 132, but they did sign a Peace Treaty with Carthage. Hey, that's funny! Like we Macedonians would ever let that happen. Especially with the Carthaginians moving North for no particular reason after the treaty was signed.

Not long after this, the Romans made their first major gain against the Goths, capturing Lugidunum, one of their core cities.

It should come as no surprise that the Macedonians went to Carthage in 135 with some gold to remind Hannibal why he should fight a war against Persia.

A Hoplite/Cavalry unit duo again fought against Persian Cavalry. Same as 5 years ago, only this time, the Macedonians lost a Hoplite instead of a Heavy Cavalry.

Macedon also tried to take Melitene again. They had Pyrrhus' Army ready and able to fight. The Army fought hard against the Cavalry defending Melitene, and barely defeated them. AND THERE WERE STILL. MORE OF THEM. With all the armies near death and not much around to attack, it looks like Macedon will be unable to advance again. Sigh. Alex is not happy, feeling like they're not advancing fast enough, and losing cities to counter-attacks all the time is just making it worse. He thinks that they will run out of time eventually. Nobody really knows what he means by that, though, cause what's going to happen, will the world end or something if they don't fight quickly enough? Yeah, right.

Last edited:
Well, I can either have the most points in 300 AD, or have 20% of the world's land area and 50% of the world's population.

My chances of suceeding at either are looking very unlikely. Persia and Carthage are both several hundred points ahead of me.

My current plan is to try to take all of Persia except the Scythian cities (those would be a waste of time), then turn around and try to take down Carthage enough to get ahead of them in score.

I have 33 turns to do this.

The bonus given by Hadrian's Wall is becoming more and more annoying, so I plan to try to get to Babylon as soon as possible so that Hadrian's Wall helps me instead of them. It will greatly help me.

Hmm, that's dissapointing about how little time is left, but things should only be uphill from now since you've breached Mesopotamia.

lurker's comment: Out of curiosity, how much of a percentage are you looking at for domination? When I won a domination as Carthage (my last play), I controlled: Africa (Carthage and Egypt + Libya), Sicily, The whole Iberian Penninsula, England, Rome, Israel, Greece, and Turkey. That could be tough for you to achieve in 33 Turns.

Well, I guess it's almost certain that he will lose. But that's good, for it shows that he isn't playing a super easy set up game. Or it shows that he isn't very good... But anyway, it shows he's playing for fun, which is good, for it makes it more fun for us too. I think. Anyway, good luck, and please go on even if you lose.

Once this game ends, I presume next will be Fall of Rome? Whenever I play that conquest I get way too bored and quit halfway through it. Am looking forward to the Middle Ages though!

This is one of the best stories for a long time.:goodjob:

One question: Why build marketplaces anymore ?

Happiness. And Lulz.

If you lose due to time, please carry on until you wipe out Persia or are wiped out :)

If you lose due to time, please carry on until you wipe out Persia or are wiped out :)
I agree. I don't care if you win, I just want you to roflstomp Persia. :trouble:

Well (after a bit more play), they're down to 19 cities plus their 5 up North they took from Scythia, and I have 20 turns left before the game ends. Can I at least kick them out of Mesopotamia and Iran before the game ends? :D Let's see.

Chapter 16: Desert Storm

Despite the setbacks of 3 badly damaged armies and presumably large numbers of Persian Cavalry able to counter-attack soon, and further setbacks to be suffered later, in 135 AD the fate of the Persian Empire seemed to be confirmed as "doomed." Macedon had broken into Mesopotamia with the capture of Carrhae 5 years earlier, and were well poised to get the entirety of Northern Mesopotamia. Here were cities far more important to Persia than the ones taken in Anatolia over the past few centuries. And farther South and East were the most important cities in the Persian Empire, like Babylon, location of Hadrian's Wall and most populous city in Persia. Alex knew it was imperative to take cities such as this and other large, important cities such as Hatra, Susa, and Arbela in the area. The Army would try to do this and crush Persia as soon as possible.

But, of course, there were setbacks, namely Persian counter attacks in 137. They mostly fought with Carthaginian Cavalry, sometimes doing the attacking, sometimes being attacked, with the end result of Carthage down 2 units and Persia down 4. Carthage had less luck on the sea, where one of their Galleys ended up sinking when attacking a Roman one, but was undeniably the victor on land, at least in battles the Macedonians knew about.

Persian Cavalry had more success against Macedon. First they captured a Fire Catapult near Antioch that the Army had forgotten to defend, and also killed a unit of Cavalry in the area. Then several Cavalry appeared out of the North, and attacked the Hoplites defending Borazjan. Sadly, the Hoplites were unable to hold off this unexpected offense, and the city fell under Persian control again.

They also captured some workers to the west, mainly due to it not being expected the workers would even need defending.

The Macedonian Cavalry were prepared, now, though, and counter-attacked in 140, removing the 2 Persian Cavalry near Antioch and 1 South-East of Zela that had captured the workers. They also recaptured the Catapult, and killed another Cavalry unit East of Carrhae. But it wasn't enough. There weren't any more Cavalry around to actually take the workers back, the only one in the area had decided that it would be smarter to kill the Cavalry than take the workers and immediately lose them again when the Cavalry recaptured them. And there were also 2 units of Persian Cavalry still near Carrhae, with one Macedonian unit in the city and another outside nearby. They'd need to fight really well to keep Carrhae in Macedonian hands.

Which they didn't do. In 142, Following the usual random skirmishes between Persian and Carthaginian Cavalry, the first Cavalry unit near Carrhae attacked the Macedonian Cavalry on the nearby hill, destroying them with little effort. The other then marched into the city and despite the defensive advantages being in the city offered, still brushed the Cavalry aside with little effort.

In the Black Sea, the few remaining Persian Galleys attacked the Macedonian Galleys sitting around there, with both sides losing a Galley.

In the woods to the Northwest of Melitene, the Cavalry that were covering the nearly dead armies of Ulysses and Pyrrhus II were attacked by Persian Cavalry. They couldn't die here or the armies would be doomed. And they didn't die, they killed all attacking Cavalry, saving their own lives and those of the 2 armies.

Cavalry to the south of this battle weren't so lucky, being killed by Persian Cavalry in a forest between Antioch and Melitene on the Euphrates River. Oh well, at least the armies were safe.

And said Cavalry were avenged in 145 by some more Macedonian Cavalry, and, farther north, Cavalry attacked Borazjan and killed the Persian Cavalry in the city. Macedon was mostly prepared to turn back this brief Persian offense, even if large numbers of the Macedonian Cavalry, including 2 armies, were currently not available to fight.

Ajax was, though, and went to Carrhae to take the city back.

Scythia decided 147 was a good time to get out of the wars it was in, not that that would help them much, and signed peace treaties with the Carthaginians and Persians, bringing their wars down to just the Goths, who were a bit pre-occupied dealing with the Romans.

Alex didn't really like this. "Come on, if nothing else, the Scythians are useful as a distraction!" He'd plan to get them back in the war soon.

Meanwhile, both Persia and Macedon lost a unit of Cavalry in the seemingly never ending Cavalry battles, and Rome captured the Gothic city of Waldegesheim.

Ajax arrived at Carrhae in 150, and found 2 units of Spearmen in the city defending it. His army found this funny as they crushed these puny defenses.

Farther North, a unit of Cavalry crossed the Euphrates River to kill some Cavalry that had earlier killed Cavalry that killed Cavalry that killed Cavalry... you get where I'm going. Anyway, their success produced another great leader, a descendant of the earlier great leader Hector.

As it was decided there was no pressing need for more armies, he'd go to build the Forbidden Palace in Asia Minor Alex kept wanting to build but never got around to.

2 of the Cavalry units South of Carrhae were also killed by more Macedonian Cavalry.

The battle of Borazjan didn't go as well, with 2 Macedonian Cavalry units being killed by defending Spearmen. Sure, one was already damaged, but so were the Spearmen! Come on!

The Carthaginians in Dakyanus killed the 4 Persian Cavalry units threatening the city in 152. Good job, Carthage. Persia still killed some Macedonian Cavalry with their own that year, but oh well, Macedon lost 3 to Persia and Persia lost 4 to Carthage.

In the northwest, the Romans captured the Gothic city of Glojkowie, to the west of Waldegesheim.

In 155, Alex realized Scythia hadn't been brought back into the war. He rectified that, and even gave them some resources to rejoin. Their roads being interrupted by Persia and the Goths meant they could only have those resources in the capital of Kul Oba, but that was better than nothing.

The Macedonian army also took another crack at Borazjan, with 2 Cavalry units available. One killed a unit of Cavalry, and the other attacked Spearmen, and was forced to retreat. Luckily, Ulysses and Pyrrhus II were available, and could reach the city, even if they could only attack once each. Once each was all they needed to kill the remaining 2 spearmen units in the city.

This meant the workers would escape for another turn, as there was no more units to attack them with, but they could run for long.

To the south, the Macedonian Army got to work taking care of more of what looked like never-ending hordes of Persian Cavalry, but they might eventually come to an end. However many there are, assorted Cavalry units and Ajax's Army killed 6 units of them at no cost to themselves.

The Cavalry did seem to be falling in number, as in 157, only 3 attacks were known to have occurred: 2 on Macedonian Cavalry, which sadly were successful, and one on some Numidian Mercenaries, which resulted in a bunch of Cavalry with spears through some part of them.

Both of the Persian worker groups near Borazjan moved East. In 160, the one consisting of 2 workers was taken back, but the one consisting of one worker was on the other side of a Mountain, so Pyrrhus went up the mountain to follow them but wasn't quite THAT fast, and couldn't go down to finish the job and get them back. But they could not run forever.

Elsewhere, Ajax killed 2 more units of Persian Cavalry, and the Black Sea's floor got 2 more Persian ships, a gift from the Macedonian Navy. The Persian Navy is almost completely destroyed.

But, "Almost" is the key word, and in 162, one of the remaining ones added a Macedonian Galley to the collection of ships that had been sunk in the Black Sea.

And the Persian Cavalry continued to still stubbornly be alive, killing one unit of Carthaginian cavalry and 2 of Macedonian Cavalry.

The Romans also continued crushing the Goths, razing the city of Karczyn, just to the South of Teutoburg.

165 saw little, but the Black Sea naval battles continued, this time with just a Macedonian Galley being sunk, sadly. But in the Mediterranean Sea, a lone Persian ship had appeared coming out of Thermopylae, and this one was now attacked by Macedon successfully. No more Mediterranean Navy for you, Persia, and this one had probably been carrying some Cavalry to boot.

Other than that, only the armies did much- Pyrrhus II got the worker, and was now on a Mountain to the Northwest of Ghulaman, in a good position to attack the city, and Ulysses and Ajax both killed 2 Persian Cavalry units with their armies. Lastly, Hector got the Forbidden Palace finished in Sardis.

Work on this palace was finished in 167, although not before some more battles around Carrhae, with Persian Cavalry killing one unit of both Macedonian and Carthaginian Cavalry.

Corruption in the area immediately went down.

The Black Sea again had one more Galley from both nations on its floor in 170 as a result of their battles.

Much of the remaining fighting that year occurred in or near Melitene. 2 Persian Cavalry in the surrounding area were killed by Cavalry, another unit of Cavalry killed some Spearmen in the city, and Ajax's Army killed another unit of Spearmen. The city WILL fall soon.

Finally, Pyrrhus attacked Ghulaman, killing a unit of Spearmen in the city.

Persia sunk another Galley in the Black Sea in 172, and also killed a unit of Cavalry near Melitene. Then 2 of them attacked a lone Hoplite unit to the Northwest, and the Hoplites were victorious. The effect yelling "THIS IS SPARTA!!!" at random times had on the battle is disputed.

The rest of their fights were against Carthaginians in the area, losing 2 units of Cavalry to Numidian Mercenaries and Cavalry, and killing a unit of both Numidians and Cavalry.

In any case, it would not do anything to stop the Macedonian advances on Ghulaman and Melitene that were made in 175. Further, as some of those attacking Cavalry had left Ghulaman, the city was now only defended by a lone unit of Spearmen, something that is no match for an army of Cavalry.

Back at Melitene, the first order of business was for the Macedonian Catapults to the west to bombard the city, bringing the Cavalry and Spearmen in the city down a bit. It was enough for Macedonian Cavalry to take out the Spearmen with ease, and Ajax had no more trouble against the Cavalry. They were then greeted by a surprising and hilarious site: Darius himself was in the city, commanding an army made up of a lone unit of... ancient Horsemen.

"Really?" said Ajax, "That's the best you can come up with? It may be an army, but outdated Horsemen, and that few of them? Come on. Well, let's see what you've got."

Darius's "Army" didn't have very much, as Ajax's army, even weakened, was able to kill these ancient Horsemen with little effort, getting rid of the last defenders of the city and bringing it under the control of Macedon.

Darius was still alive, but the Persian loss at the Battle of Melitene was something they'd likely never recover from. The Macedonian Army was now fully prepared to push through Mesopotamia.

Just to solidify their victory, they killed the only two units of Persian Cavalry that had been victorious against Carthage a few years ago, and further north, enjoyed more success when the last two (or, at least what Macedon thinks is the last two) Persian Galleys in the Black Sea were sunk.

Carthage made a move on Istakhr in 177, with the 2 Cavalry that had survived the earlier skirmishes agains Persia attacking the city. One was killed, while the other lived, killing a unit of Spearmen defending the city. Well, lived a little bit longer, as it was quickly attacked itself by Persian Cavalry, and unable to fight them off in its weakened state. Persian Cavalry also killed 2 units of Macedonian Cavalry.

In 180, a Macedonian force sent to retake Thermopylae arrived on Cyprus. Consisting of 7 units of Cavalry and a unit of Hoplites to defend the city afterwards, it was probably overkill, but you can never have too many Cavalry. On the mainland, the Cavalry didn't have much to do, but killed some Persian Cavalry outside of Istakhr, and got some more forces ready to attack the city.

In 182, The Persian counter-attack again consisted of 2 Cavalry attacks on Cavalry, near Istakhr, one succeeding, but the other was killed by the defending Macedonian Cavalry. Looks like Macedon's luck is finally turning around.

The Romans continue their sending of the Goths on a one-way trip to doom, burning the cities of Burtevitz and Lancken, the only two cities the Goths had to the west of Teutoburg.

In 185, The Thermopylae attack force proved that it was, indeed, overkill, by killing the two units of defending Spearmen at no losses, but oh well, there's no kill like overkill, they say.

On the mainland, several Cavalry attacked Istakhr, hoping to take it. HAHAHAHA No. They saw early successes, killing a unit of Persian Cavalry and another of Spearmen, but this was followed by 2 consecutive losses to Spearmen. Ajax killed one unit of Spearmen and another of Cavalry, but there was still one unit of Spearmen in the city, and it would remain Persian for a little while longer.

To the South, Ulysses attacked Samaria, taking out one defending Spearmen unit.

In 187, Macedonians spotted Carthaginian Cavalry running out of Persia, with a Great Military Leader of unknown name being escorted by them. They soon saw what they were running from, when after killing a Carthaginian Cavalry unit a bit to the east, Persian Cavalry attacked them, killing the Cavalry and the leader. So much for being a Great Leader.

190 started on a really good note for Macedon, with the killing of 4 Persian Cavalry units by Cavalry, Ajax killing the last two defending Cavalry units in Istakhr to take the city, and Pyrrhus killing some more Cavalry near Arbela to the east not long after.

It then went sour when Ulysses attacked a unit of Spearmen in Samaria, killed them, then attacked another unit and killed them... but just barely. The army was almost dead now, with no help available to get there. Their only hope would be if Carthage could get between the Persians and Ulysses.

They were able to get in the area in 192, but that wasn't good enough, as Persian Cavalry were able to get past them and destroy Ulysses' Army, as well as 3 units of Cavalry in random areas. Macedon was down an army.

This would not go unpunished, Persia.

The rallying cry of "ULYSSES!!!" drove the Macedonians on in some battles in 195, killing 5 units of Persian Cavalry with their own and the army of Ajax, but that didn't really make up for the loss. Sigh.

To the west, that year saw the founding of the city of Pergamon, near where the Persian city of Bampur had been around a hundred and fifty years ago.

Carthage did a large number of things in 197. First, they signed a peace treaty with the Goths, ending a war that was clearly going nowhere.

Then, they captured the city of Cavillonum. This would normally not be something that would attract much attention, but Cavillonum was a Celtic city... in the middle of the island of Great Britain. It was known the Celts and Carthaginians were at war, but this still provoked a response of "How the hell did that happen?"

They also captured Samaria, presumably with all the Cavalry in the area they had. But this victory was short-lived, as Persia re-captured the city shortly after. They also killed 2 units of Macedonian Cavalry with their own.

In other news, the Romans captured the Gothic capital, Teutoburg. The Goths are down to 3 cities, one of which was captured from Scythia. Their new capital is in Ubii to the southeast.

On New Year's Eve, 199, there was one hell of an awesome "New Century, Woohoo!" Party in Athens, in which much... partying stuff... happened. Anyway, Alex was walking along, when something appeared in the sky.

I have got to lay off these... whatever it is I'm on, thought Alex.

The thing spoke, "Arthur... Arthur...."

"What? Who the hell is Arthur?" said Alex.

"Oh, sorry, wrong number. Stupid interspacetimeclouddimensionalteleportal. Um... nevermind. Oh, wait I know you, you're conquering Asia. Well, hurry up! I'm getting bored."

Alex again resolved to stop eating hallucinogens, and wondered if he was, in fact, dreaming.

On New Year's Day, 200, every indication was that he was dreaming, although a "Turns Left: 20" scroll was taped to his back. He wondered what the hell that meant and who did it.

Anyway, to answer the question of how the hell the Carthaginians managed to get Cavillonum, Alex decided to trade for the Celtic World Map, revealing the rest of Britain to them (well, mostly)

He saw that Carthage had also earlier captured Bibrax to the north, which he didn't even know existed prior to this trade. It was presumably the same force that had had taken both cities, landed there by Galleys. He found it strange to start taking over Britain from the North instead of the Southwest, which was closer to Carthage, but he wasn't Carthaginian, maybe they had some plan that involved invading from the North, or something. He wondered if they'd take all of Britain or fall short and not be strong enough to do that. Or if the Romans would get some of it too, which seemed unlikely, as the entire Roman military seemed to be fighting the Goths.

In the more interesting matters of what the Macedonian Army was doing, a Cavalry unit killed some Persian Cavalry near Arbela, then Pyrrhus's army attacked the city 3 times, killing all of the defending Spearmen and capturing the city. They even got another Catapult that was in the city.

As there weren't any more Persian military units in range of the Macedonian Army, the Cavalry just headed East, in preparation to invade Hatra, Zohak, and the rest of Mesopotamia. With Arbela's fall, the North of Mesopotamia was entirely Macedonian, the Persians appeared too dead to fight back much, and the rest of the Persian Empire was in easy grasp of being taken by Macedon.

But would they do it fast enough?

Last edited:
Top Bottom