Civ 5 installation

lmuk2011

Chieftain
Ii have a problem, I got the Expansion pack Gods and Kings, but it says I need to put in my Product code for Civilization 5 before the code for the expansion pack, the problem is I bought Civ 5 but it did not come with a book, so I had no product code, but it is installed on my computer, I never needed to type a product code in, I am not going to buy another copy of the game because that means I wasted my money for the same game and that is stupid, I don't have a steam account but I don't know what to do? How am I going to install the pack if I don't have a product key for Civ 5, it never had a book with it but I can still play the game :s

I am pretty sure that if you are not playing through steam you are not playing it legally, but this is not the forum to be doing things illegally.

If you some how can play the game legally through steam, then we can help resolve any issues.

Please don't get angry ;).
Civ5 is Steam bound. Every version. If you don't have Steam, then it's most likely illegal. Besides the case that you have a Mac and bought it from the App store. This is the only exception.
The problem for you: The expansion on Steam doesn't work with the App store version. You'd have to buy it from the App store, not from Steam.

I don't have mac, I got it from a game store in my town, so again, how can it be illegal to buy a video game from a game store like GameStation in my town centre? it is a Windows Game

I installed it by placing the disc into my disk drive, went through all the instructions, and after that it was installed on my computer, I would not be on this site asking for help if I did not buy the game.

I would not be on this site asking for help if I did not buy the game.

Nice to know :). But not everyone is like you. We already had people here who asked for support for their pirated version, so we're always suspicious.

@ the problem again: ...mmhh...normally this should mean that you must have a Steam account (created during the installation).
Do you have a desktop shortcut for Civ5?
If yes, can you please make a right click on it, go to "properties" at the bottom, and then please tell us where Civ5 is installed?
Would probably give us some hints...I hope.

Can I like buy a CD key from Steam so I can install my Gods & Kings?
My Civ 5 game is installed in Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Sid Meier's Civilization V

:confused: 'kay...er...it should not be installed there...default is in the Steam subfolders...er...:confused:

There's no real difference in the versions. If you buy a DVD at your local store, it is (should...) be Steam bound, as well as the expansion pack. There's no version without Steam. Buying it again will not change anything, so please don't waste your money.

mmhh...can you check through your programs in your start menu to see if anywhere "Steam" is mentioned?

Yes there is, in the files, I have these files in the Civ 5 folder:
.steam_3m
.steam_api.dll

Also the steam application that was installed when I tried to install Gods & Kings

P.S: All games I install all go into 'Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/'

You know what, this is not very helpful, not that you are not helping, I am grateful you are trying to help me, but it is going nowhere, all I can say is I bought the expansion pack for nothing :(
And I say again, I followed all instructions in the installation process and everything, I bought the game from town, I would not download any illegal copy and I wasted my money for nothing.

Yet earlier you said:
I don't have a steam account

If you have played Civ5, you will have a Steam account and you will have to play the game with Steam launched and it will be listed in your account. If you pirated it then you won't be, and you shouldn't be seeking technical support when the game goes on sale for cheap pretty often.

Plus there isn't really anything we can do to help you anyway.

Seems to me, this is the first person who has successfully legally circumvented steam.

If so he should do the same thing he did when installing vanilla for G&K. The biggest problem is how to see DLC in a game not connected to steam.

He is more than likely running the game with steam permission, but not through steam. The catch may be to load through steam with the key and then go back to see if the DLC does show up in the game.

This is bordeline legallity though, and like you said we cannot help those with a pirated version, which he may have bought even from a local store.

Currently I'm still on the side of treating this as a technical outlandishness.
If we can figure out what#s going on, and it turns out to be a help for pirates (unintentionally), I can still get rid of this thread (after lmuk has fixed his problem).

Seems to me, this is the first person who has successfully legally circumvented steam.

[...]

He is more than likely running the game with steam permission, but not through steam.

How would that work o_O?

@lmuk2011: If you run Civ5, could you then maybe tab out of the game, start the task manager, and tell us if there's anything like Steam running?

About the same as if he paid good money for a pirated version from his local store.

I realize that I may have said more than needed to, but he says that he does not have a steam account and then he says he has games in a steam library. He could be back pedalling, but since all the help we give is steam based, we may have just had the longest legal illegal thread?

About the same as if he paid good money for a pirated version from his local store.

Had that thought too, but he's in the UK, not in Russia or Indonesia, so I guess the chance is nearly non-existent.

He could be back pedalling, but since all the help we give is steam based, we may have just had the longest legal illegal thread?

Might be :D. But it's better to try to help than not trying at all :).

Sorry I have not replied in a while, I decided to buy another copy, this time it came with a cd key, but now this one won't let me install it, I gave Steam the CD Key and it said "Can not install the game" What the hell is going on, I bought this one brand new, it was in a security case so it has not been used yet.

Scratch that, I got it all sorted out now, thanks for your assistances :)

Hi there--
Here's a series of emails between me and Steam… Gods of Civ, I hope you can save me here...
From me:
""I'm just trying to install Civ 5 off a brand new disk/set I purchased thru Amazon.com... the Steam screen says "the product you've entered has already been activated by an existing Steam account and is therefore invalid. Your activation of Civ V GOTY (Mac) has not been completed."
I just purchased a new Macbook Pro and thought I'd reward myself by learning Civ V after playing Civ 3 for years. And now I can't even get started. I foolishly forgot to look at the reviews on Amazon--there are about 10 that describe this exact problem and detail huge issues with Steam and customer support. "
This being said, I'd reeeeeally like to play my game...
Steam replied:
"If you do not have access to the email address that is currently associated with your Steam Account, please reply to this ticket with your new email address and proof of ownership of your account:
Providing Proof of Purchase
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2268-EAFZ-9762
In order for us to assist you with updating the account’s contact email address, you must provide valid proof of purchase for the account in question. "
So I sent them a jpeg pic of my CD code with my ticket number on it and they replied:
"Please provide any possible Steam account names or email addresses you may have used previously. " so I replied "I first signed up for Steam when trying to use the disc that wouldn't work--not sure if registration completed, but here's my info:
ID: editedoutxxx
email: xxxxxx"
so what does Steam say next? Yep:
"It appears the key you have is registered to another account. You will need to prove that the account is yours. "
Well golly, isn't that what I said in the first email?? So after a very irritated email reply from me AND a direct forward of my Amazon.com e-receipt, Steam says:
"The CD Key you have provided has been previously registered to and played by another Steam account. Unfortunately, used CD Keys cannot be activated via Steam. This includes used CD Keys received as gifts, resold by an individual or purchased from a store selling used goods. If you have recently purchased this product, please contact the seller to discuss a refund or exchange. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding."
I mean--SERIOUSLY!?? THE SOLUTION IS TO GIVE UP AND GET A REFUND FROM AMAZON? (btw, Amazon already said they'd give me a full refund). BUT I WANT TO PLAY THE FRACKKIN' GAME!
SO-- I don't suppose you all can help me here? And why would Sid Myers EVER sell the soul of His game to an evil cesspool like Steam? PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE! If you can help me then I will build an e-temple in your honor after I install Gods & Kings.

Top Bottom