So Islam is a religion of peace?

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
I always knew that Saladin was tolerant towards the Jews and Christians, but I can never find concrete information on the subject. Can anyone give me something like websites, links or quotes?

Which of the thousands of different Islams are we talking about, here?

It's impossible to characterise Islam-in-general as either peaceful or violent, tolerant or intolerant. Far too much internal variation.

Islam according to the Quran?

Islam according to the Quran?

Subject to a lot of different kinds of interpretations.

Islam ranges from the pacifist Ahmadiyya to the extremely violent Qutbism. It all depends on which verses and the like you find most important, because you can prove a ridiculous amount of things based on a religious text.

Islam ranges from the pacifist Ahmadiyya to the extremely violent Qutbism. It all depends on which verses and the like you find most important, because you can prove a ridiculous amount of things based on a religious text.

Well, that isn't good. Some guy I know is saying that Islam is a violent religion and I'm trying to argue against him.

Just look up some things about the more pacifist tendencies within Islam and you'll have some solid counterproof. Pretending violent Islam doesn't exist is daft; there are more than enough people who commit horrendous atrocities in the name of Islam. The strength of your argument lays in that you should explain that Islam isn't necessarily violent, and that more Muslims profess a non-violent faith than a violent one.

Just look up some things about the more pacifist tendencies within Islam and you'll have some solid counterproof. Pretending violent Islam doesn't exist is daft; there are more than enough people who commit horrendous atrocities in the name of Islam. The strength of your argument lays in that you should explain that Islam isn't necessarily violent, and that more Muslims profess a non-violent faith than a violent one.

Yes! That's great! Can you provide me with some?

I think Cato already has your back. Try looking up some more on these guys?

I think Cato already has your back. Try looking up some more on these guys?

Ahmadiyya are not considered Muslims by some other sects of Islam, however. Sufism is another interesting one to look up; because of its esoteric nature it tends to be inclined towards the peaceful although there has been violence amongst them I believe. The Alevis are also interesting and worth looking up.

I get the impression Sunni Islam is, on average, more violent than Shi'a Islam as well.

That's odd. I was under the impression that Shia Islam had more violent tendencies (stemming from their faith- than Sunni because Shia Islam places a higher emphasis on self-sacrifice than in Sunni Islam.

I get the impression Sunni Islam is, on average, more violent than Shi'a Islam as well.

Perhaps your perception of Sunni Islam is coloured by Wahhabis and Salafists.

That's odd. I was under the impression that Shia Islam had more violent tendencies

And perhaps your perception of Shia Islam is coloured by the Islamic Republic. ;)

(stemming from their faith- than Sunni because Shia Islam places a higher emphasis on self-sacrifice than in Sunni Islam.

Shia Islam is kinda like Christianity with their obsession with martyrdom and persecution and charismatic divinely-appointed religious leaders and such.

Also, in before The Usual Suspects.

Top Bottom