• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Malinese Rebels destroying Timbuktu

People are comparing this to the Bamian Buddhas; it's actually more like the Wahhabi destruction of early tombs and mosques in Saudi Arabia - self-proclaimed Muslim purists attacking symbols of their own glory and civilisation - except that this is actually much worse; we're talking about a thousand years of scholarship, religion and culture going up in smoke. No one can stop it; no one cares enough to stop it.

Well, it doesn't have to do with the building there.
Even if they invaded Mali for oil, they it doesn't mean that they will stop the destruction of the historical sites.

The only thing which can help here is a Civ4 fanatics army, that will be sent to fight in the name of Mansa Musa.. XD

BTW, what exactrly are those sites?
Is it from the times of the great Malinese or Songhai empires?

They are from a variety of time periods, Mali, Songhai and periods afterwards. taillesskangaru, I half agree with you, I do compare it to the KSA destruction of many sites of the Sahaba, except I really don't see anything wrong with it, they are not destroying the Masjids in the city, they are just destroying sites on graves and tombs. Just because some local mystics said that a door can't be opened until Judgment Day means that it can't be torn down? The people are being pulled from Jahiliyya, it isn't so terrible.

People forget that the Tuareg have been marginalised and oppressed by the Colonial and then Malian, Nigerien and other governments for a century now. If the government of Mali had ever invested in anything outside of Bamako, they wouldn't be having this problem, nor would they be having it if they didn't keep bowing to the French and promoting the same kind of 'Islam' that the French did. The Tuaregs deserve their right to establish a state out of a colonial relic and restore it to the deen.

Now they get to be oppressed by saudi puppets. I'm sure they must be celebrating their new overlords!

Now they get to be oppressed by saudi puppets. I'm sure they must be celebrating their new overlords!

I don't see Saudi agents in Azawad, nor the KSA rushing to recognise the State of Azawad. The government of Azawad may share some common beliefs and to some degree a common worldview as the KSA, but it does not make them puppets of the Saudis, just like the Chinese were not puppets of the Soviets, despite them sharing a common ideological belief.

Well, I didn't saw french agents in Mali either anymore...

Simply because there is no oil there.

There is "oil everywhere". The issue is cost from "how deep" one needs to go to find it.

The conditions needed to "form oil" have existed all over the earth, in various cycles, for hundreds upon hundreds of millions of years. I'm expressing this as politely as possible because I consider the sarcastic spin an affront to my culture (USA).

It's a bit unfair to point fingers at "the west" for conflict over resources, since that's pretty much what starts every war. Land is a limited resource and wars since before recorded history have had their focii on a "few acres". Precious metals are a limited resource as are coal, iron and now "rare earths". Food is a resource and the time of conflict for food is coming very soon. No one's more desperate than a hungry person with hungry children.

I guess I'm saying, really, arguing against "war for resources" is short-sighted. You might be very surprised to learn the impetus of such "political outcries" lie in the hands of professional "public affairs spin doctors" since, truely, that public opinion absolutely wins or loses the wars. Without thinking clearly, you're being manipulated to a cliche' debate of peripheral insignificance, and in so doing, in danger of causing irreparable harm to unified solidarity, even when you think you're a "critical thinker".

AbenHumeya said:
The people are being pulled from Jahiliyya, it isn't so terrible.

Reading a bit to much Qutb amirite?

AbenHumeya said:
The people are being pulled from Jahiliyya, it isn't so terrible.
Like the French did amirite?

I hope so. The article in question appeared on facebook but I would be surprised if it's a complete hoax, maybe gross exaggeration is the right word.

Top Bottom