• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Olympics 2012 discussion

Arwon

stop being water
Well events have started, Australia have chosen the wonderful Lauren Jackson as flag bearer. Great choice.

First event I am looking forward to is the mens road race in cycling on saturday, would like to see a sprint finish with Cav winning like the world championships.

First event I am looking forward to is the mens road race in cycling on saturday, would like to see a sprint finish with Cav winning like the world championships.

Can't believe I'm going to miss that :( Would have loved to see Cavendish drop like a stone and Boonen win the sprint in a small group :D

I'm looking forward to seeing the track events, especially the 400m-5k run. Mainly because that's what I personally run. Seeing Bolt and Phelps should also be fun too.

Well events have started, Australia have chosen the wonderful Lauren Jackson as flag bearer. Great choice.

Just to say something, she was awful trying to wave it. Most other flag bearers sucked as well anyway :lol:

I'm looking forward to... anything. :mischief: Anything in which Spain may get a medal, or the competition can be predicted as entertaining. Basketball, for example.

I can't watch the opening ceremony because there's a guy sleeping on our couch, but Billy Bragg just tweeted the following so I know it must have been pretty good.

Billy Bragg said:
Anyone still doubting how good it was: Tory MP attacks Olympic opening ceremony as "leftie multi-cultural crap" http://labli.st/QpqZ0f

Why don't they just admit that Paul McCartneys voice as gone.

Was his voice concert-quality? No. Did I enjoy his part of the show? Yes.

He's not a spring chicken anymore, and hasn't kept his voice healthy. But for this short time, it was okay. Seriously, how could you not have him at either Opening or Closing?

Watching the replay of the ceremony now.

As someone on Twitter said, there's nothing more quintessentially British than the "battle between life and death" staged in front of a glowing orange.

His voice wasn't in good form yesterday, unfortunately. It was noticeably creaky. I've heard him perform "Hey Jude" before and it was magical. Mind you, that was another royal celebration some years back.

Have to agree Macca's lost it. Nothing too awful, but they really could have faded up the crowd when he started to struggle. Instead they rather inexplicably faded the base player way up. I guess the VT director and sound guy were already slapping themselves on the back - either that or they just bottled it at the thought of fading down Paul McCartney.

Why don't they just admit that Paul McCartneys voice as gone.
You must really dislike him given that you mentioned this in both threads. I guess McCartney won't be competitive in Olympic hog-calling this year.

In oz, channel 9 has 3 channels available. They're only bothering to use two of them to show live olympic events, the 3rd is showing it's normal mix of ancient shows + home shopping. But both channels are showing an identical feed. Do they want to show replays during the day? No chance, they need to put on old episodes of Bewitched and F-troop. One 2 hour highlights package, and that's it. Again on two channels at once, and no doubt identical on both channels again.

Men's road race has beein interesting so far, anyway.

Vino!!! You're an unrepentant doper but I love you!!

Also correcting the travesty of Sydney 2000: 2 Germans, Ullrich and Klöden, and Vino, a Kazakh, arrived isolated at the finish line. But they all rode for the same pro team, of which Ullrich was the team leader, so Vinokourov was 'ordered' to finish second and leave the gold to Ullrich.

I just wonder how much Urran is getting paid for looking the other way when Vino attacked...

For the rest, the UK team did what they could, but 5 riders (4 from the UK + Eisel from Team Sky) is clearly not enough to control a race like this. The Germans gambled by only having Tony Martin help in the chase, so they lost as well.

Cancellare was clearly in great form. Hopeully he will be OK for the time trial...

Top Bottom