auto bombard

redhulkz

Prince
i notice that ships got auto bombard ability. whats the diff. from normal bombard ?

i use it and found that ship can bombard more than one time. then whats the use of normal bombard ability if there's auto bombard to choose from

Auto-bombard will keep that unit bombarding the target, until the unit is activated. I don't know about them getting any extra attacks, I've never seen that. Perhaps you've modded the game, or are playing a mod? It doesn't come standard to that.

The idea behind AB is to park a ship off the coast of a city or whatever, and keep bombarding it, sacrificing all movement for that unit until you reactivate it.

When I do AB the computer automatically activates it for its turn as if noting has changed and it has just bambarded as normal. The unit does not sacririce its movement points. Am I missing something?

I think it does sacrifice the movement points. I don't know, but I'll check. I may be confusing this with arty, which would (naturally) lose it's movement points.

I'm checking this now. . . .

Hmmm. . . my AB isn't working right. Maybe I need to be targeting an enemy tile/unit. I'll have to look into this further in the morning.

Originally posted by Turner_727
Auto-bombard will keep that unit bombarding the target, until the unit is activated. I don't know about them getting any extra attacks, I've never seen that. Perhaps you've modded the game, or are playing a mod? It doesn't come standard to that.

The idea behind AB is to park a ship off the coast of a city or whatever, and keep bombarding it, sacrificing all movement for that unit until you reactivate it.

i'm playing mod game but didnt mod that area on bombard

Okay, I got AB to work. While you don't sacrifice your movement points (for units with more than one movement point) after it does it's AB turn, the computer ends the turn regardless of how many MP you have left. I didn't check any further, because I just realized this, but I would also assume that if you were to move the unit after the AB turn, you would turn AB 'off,' much like you would a worker who is doing a worker action. I did not see it bombard more than once.

Now that I'm thinking about it more, I've got a question for you redhulkz. When you say 'ship can bombard more than one time...' did you see it fire once and have more than one puff of smoke come up? This would, I think, come under the 'rate of fire' option in the editor.

Originally posted by Turner_727
Okay, I got AB to work. While you don't sacrifice your movement points (for units with more than one movement point) after it does it's AB turn, the computer ends the turn regardless of how many MP you have left. I didn't check any further, because I just realized this, but I would also assume that if you were to move the unit after the AB turn, you would turn AB 'off,' much like you would a worker who is doing a worker action. I did not see it bombard more than once.

Now that I'm thinking about it more, I've got a question for you redhulkz. When you say 'ship can bombard more than one time...' did you see it fire once and have more than one puff of smoke come up? This would, I think, come under the 'rate of fire' option in the editor.

i see it fire more than one time and one puff of smoke come up every time it fire.

i AB the frigate on a city, it destroy a temple in first fire, and continue fire 2 or 3 times, without hitting anything and puff of smoke come up

sometime it bombard 1 time but sometimes it bombard 3 or 4 times. there no fix how many times

When it looks like it is bombarding many times, it is actually only bombarding once, but the animation keeps going for more than just the one blast. You will never see those extra puffs of smoke lead to any more damage.

For some reason, when you auto bombard a barb, it will only dmge him once and then stop auto bombarding. Strange, isnt it?
:confused:

Originally posted by Lord Vetinari
For some reason, when you auto bombard a barb, it will only dmge him once and then stop auto bombarding. Strange, isnt it?
:confused:

There's a stupid reason for that. All units will end their auto bombard orders unless you go into preferences and deselect "Cancel orders when next to an enemy unit." I'm not sure if they fixed that in the latest patch, though I've seen no mention of it in the readme. Really dumb!

Top Bottom