(NOT A BUG) Automated Workers build Forts instead of Improvements

LoKiFox

Chieftain
Pretty simple, I'm using the Steam version of BtS by the way:

1. Click a Worker and select Automate All.
2. Sometimes they will build forts on top of resources (not always?)

It seems they do it both on old resources randomly and on new resources when they're revealed. It's really weird... I've only had this happen in one game so far. Hopefully, it won't happen again. :/

I've never ever had this bug before. I'm using boxed retail copies of Civ4 + Warlords with this Steam copy if that matters.

If I can catch the Workers in the act I will try to post a savegame... I never noticed the forts there until after the fact.

It's been mentioned before and for any resources outside of a cities fat cross it is not a bug. Forts now provide access to resources, so it makes sense (at least to me) to build a fort on eg. iron instead of a mine so you can defend it (a mine would provide no additional benefits).

lol I reckon we're gonna keep seeing this one far too frequently. Tell anyone you know who plays the game that forts connect resources!

Forts provide the country access to that resource, but they don't give extra :hammers: :food: or :commerce: that you'd normally get. So if the resource isn't near a city, then you should build forts and automated ones do so as well.

OK, then the bug isn't that they build forts on the resources, but that when you scroll over the tile with a fort on a resource, it still says mine,farm, plantation, etc., required. If the fort hooks up the resource, the game shouldn't be telling you that you need a different improvement.

OK, then the bug isn't that they build forts on the resources, but that when you scroll over the tile with a fort on a resource, it still says mine,farm, plantation, etc., required. If the fort hooks up the resource, the game shouldn't be telling you that you need a different improvement.

Exactly. That's what threw me off haha.

I know that forts now count for city defense and heal units at city rates but I must have skimmed over the resources part.

The only annoying part is that once they build a fort (which only is done outside of city limits I have noticed) that they don't usually go back to replace the fort with a mine or whatever. Or maybe I'm wrong about this too? Honestly, I've been playing Civ 4 since the it came out but I had no clue that forts provide resources... or is that a new feature in BtS also? The Steam version has no manual mind you so I had to use the Civopedia. :p

Anyways, thanks for the clarification! :D

Top Bottom