• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Culture Flips in Civ 1

Shammurabi

Chieftain
Something analagous to culture flipping happened (very occasionally) in Civ 1. You'd get a message saying something like 'The citizens of Tabriz admire the prosperity of Babylon', and the city would spontaneously flip to you. It didn't happen very often, and not at all in Civ 2.

An idea before its time?

Well in Civ2 it was deceiptively easy to buy cities with a spy... It was cheaper and a lot more sucessful than in civ3. But I prefer the way it works in Civ3 ; it's always a nice suprise to grab a city for free !

I like free cities, too. In my current game, I've had 4 cities flip to me... on the other hand, I had one of my recently captured cities revert back to its original owner before I could get reinforcements there to garrison. I lost 2 elite cavalry when it flipped...

How was it worked out in civ1. The concept of culture didn't exist at that time.

theoden said:
How was it worked out in civ1. The concept of culture didn't exist at that time.

As far as I know that was somewhat of a mystery. If you were really rich and technologically advanced, sometimes it would just happen.

It could have been a random event, like earthquakes and volcanoes that also happened form tiome to time.

Gonna move this to the Civ1 forum. ;) (yes, it's when you have a few cities, and one is the largest city in the game. I had it happen once).

And from what I could tell, it was pretty random. I've only seen it a couple of times, and there's no apparent way to tell when it might happen or which cities it might happen to. It's not necessarily a city anywhere near your territory. I could swear I once had a city on a continent I hadn't discovered yet suddenly join my civ, but it's possible I'm misremembering something.

Neomega said:
As far as I know that was somewhat of a mystery. If you were really rich and technologically advanced, sometimes it would just happen.

It could have been a random event, like earthquakes and volcanoes that also happened form tiome to time.
It was more like Civ3 in concept than you realise. I captured an advanced city foreign and it kept flipping. It was really troublesome.

Then, somehow, I destroyed the city by mistake. It was one of mine (i.e. it had my colours) but when I moved a unit into the city it was destroyed :(

I have had this happen a couple of times (Civ 1). One when i was very rich and had many cities - and the city that joined me was from a civilization that was very small and poor. Funny thing was i wasn't at war with them either.

One when i was very rich and had many cities - and the city that joined me was from a civilization that was very small and poor.

Yup, that's what I found out too. Most of those cities were in a remote position, very small, with hardly any production and one (sometimes none) defending unit.
But then, once I myself lost a city which was near the capital, rather big and well defended. After a civil unrest I rushed the construction of a courthouse, the unrest continued the next turn, the citizens destroyed the courthouse the moment it was built and switched sides.

It was weird, I played as the Americans on the Earth map a lot and the AI often sneaked in and built a city in the northern tundra. Usually I didn't even know about it until it flipped to me!

I've only gotten a major city once, when Delhi flipped to me from the brutal Soviet Empire, and I had to sent units from the just-completed liberation of Australia (also from the Russians) to help defend it.

I once was playing on emperor level, took over an enemy city and it went into unrest. I could quench the unrest but a few turns later it flipped back again taking 3 of my units with it. Bummer...

Neomega said:
... ... a random event, like earthquakes and volcanoes that ... happen ... from time to time.
there's much of this random things in the game -
but that makes it a little more mysterious / interesting in it's 'simplicity'... :p

Zwelgje said:
I once was playing on emperor level, took over an enemy city and it went into unrest. I could quench the unrest but a few turns later it flipped back again taking 3 of my units with it. Bummer...
Huh? Really? ...can't believe it!
the 1st thing i do everytime with a city i get that way is to build something like a temple, marketplace or bank 1st - maybe this prevents a "fall back"?

Zwelgje said:
Such a thing can really screw up your game if you're going for the OCC strategy... ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
YEAH!!!
I had this event a few times and was quite surprised.
It does have something to do with your quality of playing.
Speaking about disasters - I don't get it!!!!!
What causes those things???
Well I could understand a flood in the coastal city without walls.
Or even a revoult in an unhappy one.
But earthquakes have NOTHING to do with the game.

Yes, this bizzare turn of events happens once every 20 games or so when I'm playing. Of course it immediately throws me into a war with someone else...

Do these events occur in all of the Civilzation games or just CIV1

Conrino said:
Do these events occur in all of the Civilzation games or just CIV1

Culture Flips are in Civ1 and Civ3. Civ1 was more like if you had the highest population, you could flip some unknown city halfway around the world.

civ2 said:
... ...
earthquakes have NOTHING to do with the game.
i disagree.
it's a random event in life too. it's usually called "FATE". :sad:

Top Bottom