Sort of new unit: Vutwamini Maidens

dog

Selous Scout
I know. You're thinking "whaaa...??"

The Vutwamini Maidens (Vutwamini means "Those who ripen at noon" - also the name of a luscious wild fruit) were a 3000 strong regiment of young maidens founded by Shaka in 1818. They wore a four inch wide fringed girdle made of dried fig leaves, along with a bracelet or two and sometimes a string of beads around the neck. That and their weapons, that's it. Daughters of chiefs, headmen or wealthy fathers wore, instead of the fig leaf girdle, a three inch by two inch patch of beads suspended by a string around the hips. I think they were more of a parade regiment than a true fighting unit, and they also carried out some support duties (scavenging and carrying goods captured when a village was wiped out). Been a while since I read the book. They were also involved in some interesting post-battle rituals but I'll let you find a book and read about that yourself. ;)

Info comes from "Shaka Zulu" by E.A. Ritter 1958. Interestingly, I could find nothing about them on the net.

I made this unit because I would really like for the Zulus (I changed them to "Africans" in my game for a little more flexibility in unit choices), Aztecs and Iroquois (I call them "Americans") to have completely unique units from ancient through industrial ages. I can't stand to see Aztec chariots or Zulu Pikemen. I've been working on an altered Impi but that one's going very slow. I thought an African amazon would be a cool (and somewhat historically accurate) unit for the Africans. I Private Messaged BlueO at Apolyton to see if he had a prob with me altering one of his units but I never heard back (been a week). So here it is...it's an altered Amazon Warrior. If I hear from BlueO that he'd rather I not post this unit then I'll pull it. Basically, this is the kind of unit creation that I like to do...only took 3-4 hours. I'm quite lazy. I just used the color replace function of PSP to darken the unit's skin tone. I know the real Maidens didn't have round metal shields but hey...anyone wants to change the shield I'd love to see it...as I said, I'm lazy and I'm really tired of working on the shield on my modded Impi.

I'm not going to use this unit in the Industrial Age as would be historically accurate. I'm going to use it as a Late Ancient/Early Middle Ages offensive unit. You use it how you want. I also included the sound files I use and an INI file. The female vox files come from CTP and CTP2. If you use the sound files you should copy the Spearman sound files into this unit's Art folder. Extract all the rest of these there also. Thanks to BlueO for the original unit animation! Hope someone can use it.

Here is a preview of defaut animation for you :)

Attachments

• vutwaminidefault.gif
    vutwaminidefault.gif
    51.7 KB · Views: 4,135
Originally posted by Dragon Warrior
This Unit looks exactly like BlueO's Amazon Warrior

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Either it's a huge coincidence, or someone's claiming credit for other people's work.

Guys, apparently you didn't read my post up above there!

I talked for 20 minutes about how this is BlueO's amazon unit with the colors altered. I talked about how I sent him a message asking if he had a prob with me posting this and how I waited a week and he never responded. I also said that if he tells me he has a problem with it I'd pull it. Go ahead, look and see. Its right up there^^^^

It IS BlueO's Amazon Warrior with the colors changed to make the skin tone darker. As I said, all credit goes to BlueO, I only spent about 3-4 hours on it. Even the thread title says "Sort of new unit"

P.S. I plan on doing this with other units as well. I think there should be more than one "African" unit when two of the civs are African.

Originally posted by dog
Guys, apparently you didn't read my post up above there!

I talked for 20 minutes about how this is BlueO's amazon unit with the colors altered. I talked about how I sent him a message asking if he had a prob with me posting this and how I waited a week and he never responded. I also said that if he tells me he has a problem with it I'd pull it. Go ahead, look and see. Its right up there^^^^

It IS BlueO's Amazon Warrior with the colors changed to make the skin tone darker. As I said, all credit goes to BlueO, I only spent about 3-4 hours on it. Even the thread title says "Sort of new unit"

P.S. I plan on doing this with other units as well. I think there should be more than one "African" unit when two of the civs are African.

Well yes, I did miss that. Sorry. And you have a good point about having more African units, now that you mention it. For the most part, all the units in the game are based on European civilizations. Though it's certainly an improvement in that regard to previous Civ games.

Originally posted by nonnob3
There is no Run Animation!!! Dog?/

Did you forget to post it?

:o

170something d/l's and nobody noticed! :eek: :confused:

I am very very sorry about that. Here's the run.flc:

Attachments

• vutwaminirun.zip
    45.6 KB · Views: 502
Top Bottom