2 Cut-downs of UnCopain's Europe for BTS

el_hidalgo

Prince
For your enjoyment, 2 cut-downs of UnCopains amazing map of Europe, which I don't think has ever been publicly made available for BTS. I am also including my slightly modified version of his original: mine has one more row of tiles in the north, to give St. Petersburg a full fat cross to work. Such a great city should not be deprived!

The real problem, if you ask me, with the original map is its large size (of course I've gone and made it bigger). I know opinions on this issue vary. Some say the bigger the better, but if you if like them big but not huge (still talking about maps here), consider this. The standard earth map (Rhye's) is 8432 tiles. 3205 are ocean, 2116 are coast for a total of 5321 water tiles. That leaves 3111 for land (Note: this is all based on my personal version of Rhye's earth, which is somewhat different). Let's ignore mountains for now -- they are land but, like water, they cannot be settled.

My version of UnCopain's Europe (which, recall, is slightly bigger) clocks in at 9416 tiles, of which 216 are ocean, 2785 coast, for a total of 3001 water, leaving 6415 land tiles. More than double the land! And Europe has 267 mountains vs 376 for Earth. There are smaller Europes, and I've made a few myself, but if you want to maintain UnCopain's majestic scale, logically you have to cut size. So here we are.

The cut-downs are Western Europe and the Mediterranean. Western Europe is 4928 tiles -- 199 ocean, 1940 coast, leaving you with 2789 land tiles to settle and conquer. The Mediterranean is 5350 -- 1647 water (1439 coast, 208 ocean), 3703 land -- somewhat more than earth (ok, almost 20%), and somewhat fewer mountains, but I think not too big. Europe is 107x88; Western Europe is 56x88; Mediterranean is 107x50. All have random resources and starting locations.

Although the majority of the credit goes to UnCopain, I did put a lot of work into these, especially the Mediterranean, so I am feeling justified in giving myself partial credit. ;)

DOWNLOAD: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16308

Attachments

• medit_xl.png
    medit_xl.png
    298.4 KB · Views: 335
  • w_eu_xl.jpg
    w_eu_xl.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 288
  • u_europe.png
    u_europe.png
    416.8 KB · Views: 396
Thanks for sharing!

A possibly stupid question to start with: How can I enable correct starting positions on these maps?

Then another, not quite so stupid question: Why are there so few resources around? On the British Isles, the only coal and iron deposits are placed in Scotland. Also, the only living creatures on these Islands are horses in Southwestern Ireland... It's hardly playable for me now because of these issues, although I really like what you did to the map as a whole!

Any chance to have part of that fixed? :)

There is no way to enable historically accurate starting positions within BtS itself.

HOWEVER, there is a way to do it with a mod:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356237

There are some instructions there if you want to attempt it yourself, or you could ask someone. I would do it for you, but my computer isnt working.

There is no way to enable historically accurate starting positions within BtS itself.

HOWEVER, there is a way to do it with a mod:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356237

There are some instructions there if you want to attempt it yourself, or you could ask someone. I would do it for you, but my computer isnt working.

Well, it's true that there's no way to have a choice of all leaders available for each included civ without a mod. But I could place starting locations in world builder, as long as people don't mind being stuck with one leader choice per civ.

Thanks for sharing!

A possibly stupid question to start with: How can I enable correct starting positions on these maps?

Then another, not quite so stupid question: Why are there so few resources around? On the British Isles, the only coal and iron deposits are placed in Scotland. Also, the only living creatures on these Islands are horses in Southwestern Ireland... It's hardly playable for me now because of these issues, although I really like what you did to the map as a whole!

Any chance to have part of that fixed? :)

The resources... I set it to random resources so it should be different each time. I haven't placed resources yet. UnCopain placed a bunch of resources, but I had some issues with his placements. It was kind of weird. For example, as I recall there were a bunch of horses around Baghdad but not many elsewhere. Anyway, I deleted some of his resources and never got around to replacing them. But I wanted to release the basic maps so I just set random resources/starting locations. But yeah, I will tinker with it some more and release updates.

Thanks a heap! I checked that scenario out and it was quite some fun! Your link ultimately made me play RoM, though, so thanks for that! :p

But I wanted to release the basic maps so I just set random resources/starting locations. But yeah, I will tinker with it some more and release updates.

Thanks! This is really appreciated! :)

Top Bottom