Railroad Artillery

danrell

Warlord

Creator : snafusmith
Request by Seraphim8400

The files are not a mod, only unit graphics and .blend file.
Thanks Deliverator's TUTORIAL "Making units that use Civ 5 animations"

NOTE : You need put the folder "Edited_Aim_State" to
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\resource\Common".

Download :
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16329

Yes, but how do I add this unit or any unit for that matter, to the game?

You guys should add biplane unit. Sorry x2 post thought I opened my first post.

You guys should add biplane unit. Sorry x2 post thought I opened my first post.

You can edit the xml files like civ4, or use the civ5's way,
backup you xml files first if you edit it.

Civ4 - Rabbit,White 's "How to add units, a guide."

You need edit these files : (this will use the "tank" to example)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v

1. \resource\Common\civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml
Find the tag "ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_TANK", copy everything between the tag <UnitMemberArtInfo> and </UnitMemberArtInfo>,
then change the tag <Type> to another name, e.g."ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_TANK_XXX".
change the tag "<Granny>Assets/Units/tank/tank.fxsxml</Granny>" to new added .fxsxml file.

2. \resource\Common\civ5artdefines_units.xml
Find the tag "ART_DEF_UNIT_TANK", copy and rename it like step 1, rename the tag <MemberType> too.
The tag <MemberCount> is how many units to display.

3. \Assets\Gameplay\XML\Units\CIV5UnitClasses.xml
(Skip this step if you don't add the new classes)

4. \Assets\Gameplay\XML\Units\CIV5Units.xml
Find the tag "UNITCLASS_TANK", copy everything between the tag <Row> and </Row>,
then change the tag <Type> to "UNIT_TANK_XXX" and change the <UnitArtInfo> to step 2 's name, e.g."ART_DEF_UNIT_TANK_XXX".
(This XML can modify the units Ability.)

5. \Assets\Gameplay\XML\Civilizations\CIV5Civilizations.xml
Fnd the tag <Civilization_UnitClassOverrides> to add the new unique unit.
<CivilizationType> What civilization you want to add the new unique unit, e.g. CIVILIZATION_AMERICA, CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND...
<UnitClassType> For this example, change to "UNITCLASS_TANK"
<UnitType> Change to "UNIT_TANK_XXX"

Sorry my bad english.

What is the Civ5 way?

a mod, containing the modified copies of civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml and civ5artdefines_units.xml (both with VFS set to true in the property tab of the files in modbuddy), and only the updates to the 3 other files in one xml or SQL file (with update database in modd buddy, see Kael's guide)

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Hmmm... I was hoping to add this to a mod, but I'm not sure what existing unit to use as a base for the artdefines. Is it based on a Tank?

Hmmm... I was hoping to add this to a mod, but I'm not sure what existing unit to use as a base for the artdefines. Is it based on a Tank?

Yes (see post #5 [though the method is outdated]). If you look at the .fxsxml, you'll see it uses tank animations.

Do you plan to write some LUA to constrain it to railroads?

Yes (see post #5 [though the method is outdated]). If you look at the .fxsxml, you'll see it uses tank animations.

I wasn't quite sure if the usage of Tank in the example was just an example or not, although the Tank icon in the original post was a strong indicator that it was. But I figured it'd save me time and effort if I just asked ahead of time, to make sure. :3

As for writing LUA... it's tempting, but I've only been modding for about two months now, so LUA still terrifies me. I'm hoping to use it as a substitute for Rocket Artillery for my more steampunk-themed civs, so for now I'm just going to treat it as an enormous SPG, but eventually when I get more confident at modding I might see if I can give the LUA a shot.

If anyone has any advice on how to do the LUA for it, I'd be quite interested, though!

Need a custom DLL I think.

I may add it to R.E.D. at some point, but I'm not working on it ATM (or near future)

Need a custom DLL I think.
Ah.

Well, barring that, you could use promotions to limit movement somewhat. You could give it the Chariot Archer promotion (in the Unit_FreePromotions table) of PROMOTION_ROUGH_TERRAIN_ENDS_TURN (applies to hills/marsh/forest/jungle/snow without roads).

You could go further with something like PROMOTION_FOLIAGE_IMPASSIBLE (forests/jungles can't be entered at all)--EDIT: though I'm not sure whether it ceases to apply when a road is present, which is sort of the point... so, assuming that works--you can create new promotions in UnitPromotions_Features and UnitPromotions_Terrains to do the same for other feature/terrain types.

Top Bottom