Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
1. Solving Bugs
2. Logging
3. Mod Compatibility
4. One-Click Shortcut

--- 1. Solving Bugs ---

1. Please try things on the Common Checklist. :goodjob:
  2. Visit the issue tracker on github. Check if there is an open or closed issue for the problem you encountered.
  3. If no issue exists, post a new issue (preferred) or start a thread here on the bug tracking forum. Please link to your lua.log file if one exists (see 2. Log below).

It usually takes some time to figure out solutions to tracked issues. 99% of bugs are caught and squashed before releasing the mod to the public. The remaining bugs which escape are typically hard to discover, and more challenging to fix when found.

This thread is for informational purposes. Please post bugs in new threads in the Bug Tracking Forum, not here. It's much easier to track problems when they are not mixed up together in one thread. :thumbsup:

--- 2. Error Log ---

This is an incredibly helpful process that often reveals useful stuff about bugs. You simply need to enable logging, then post your log file after a problem occurs. The log will usually contain an error message.

1. Open this file:
    \Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\config.ini
  2. Set:
    MessageLog = 1
    LoggingEnabled = 1
    EnableLuaDebugLibrary = 1
  3. When you notice the problem occur, end your turn, then zip & attach this file to your post:
    \Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Logs\Lua.log
  4. You can optionally post your log to the project issue tracker. This usually gets a quicker response. To do so, change the file name to Lua.png and attach it to a new post here:
    https://github.com/Thalassicus/cep-bnw/issues
  5. Set the earlier values back to =0 after posting the log file.

--- 3. Mod Compatibility ---

If removing other mods solves the problem (#8 on the common checklist), you can optionally do a divide-and-conquer search to track down which mod is causing the issue. (Clear your cache at each step!)
  1. Move half the mods out of the mods folder and see if the problem happens.
  2. If the problem doesn't happen, move the current half out and stored half in.
  3. Whichever half causes the problem, then try only half of that half, and keep splitting the list in half until you have the 1 mod causing the bug. This very quickly isolates the mod causing a problem.
  4. In the Bug Tracking forum, post which mod you found causes the problem.

--- 4. One-Click Shortcut ---

I use a few windows tricks to automatically clear cache, logs, and start the game while skipping the launcher - all in one click. Here's how:

1. Create a launcher-skipping shortcut.
  2. Create a .bat file to delete the folders.
  3. Create a shortcut to the .bat file.
Several steps below contain a path to the MODS, Logs, or game folders. Replace these with the path to these folders on your own computer.

1. If you don't know your version of DirectX, click Start -> Run -> type "dxdiag" and hit enter to see it.
  2. Go to this folder:
    C:\Thalassicus\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
  3. Create a shortcut in the MODS folder named "Civilization V (Leave Cache)" with a target pointed towards your game location, like below. Replace dx11 with whatever version of DirectX you use:
    "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Launcher.exe" /dx11
  4. Open Start -> Run -> "notepad.exe"
  5. Copy this into the text file:
    Code:
    @echo off
    rd /s /q "C:\Thalassicus\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache"
    rd /s /q "C:\Thalassicus\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Logs"
    call "C:\Thalassicus\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Civilization V (Leave Cache).lnk"
    @echo on
  6. Change the "C:\Thalassicus" paths in the file above to the actual path of your Mods folder.
  7. Save the file as "Civilization V.bat" to your MODS folder.
  8. Create a second shortcut in the MODS folder named "Civilization V" with a target like this:
    explorer "C:\Thalassicus\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Civilization V.bat"
  9. Drag-and-drop shortcut #2 ("Civilization V") to your taskbar.

Hi there.
I love you balance mods and have been using them from day 1.
Yet I have difficulties with the most recent one. Every time I save a game something goes wrong and production in my cities changes to "produce settler" and the look as all wrong. When you enter the city the qeue is filled up with settlers and you cannot change it. Also it is impossible to promote units. Loading or just continueing doesnt relieve the problem.
No other mods installed, most recent update (steam).

Any ideas?

I just tried the latest release CiVup + thals balance, when I load any saved game it's all screwed up, all info in the top bar (science, culture, happiness, turns) is messed up all says 000, tech tree is all messed up, everything is gone except for what I've already researched, cities don't show pop or culture bars or what they're building. I have no other mods turned on, I haven't tried clearing the cache, I'll try that, and report back.

cleared cache, it seems to have worked for now. so far the mod seems nice, haven't played through yet though.

were do i post crashes i got to tern 723 on a marathon immortal game using civ willard, info addict, no nukes and red . game crashes at end tern i have a save on the spot it do it but i was having a hard time finding were to put it. or do you have the ability to fix such crashes? reason im asking is i have no idea myself if civ 5 can be fixed since im not a moder myself .

In the first post are three links to the Beta & Bug Reports Forum, where you can post about problems.

There haven't been reports of crash problems. I haven't seen anyone use the "no nukes" mod either though, perhaps that might be the issue. Did you try it without that mod? There's also been problems (in vanilla) where if the game exceeds a certain number of cities or other factors things can go wrong. There's nothing I can do about that in mods though.

ok thanks it prob is the core game did it to me in vinllia the same way and no nukes all it do is remove manhattan project so i am guessing its the city #, map was covered

I do not know how anyone play the game anymore if its all ways just going to crash at end game ROB you of Victory or defeat every single game i ever have played in civ 5 has crashed before i could win/loose . like 15 to 20 marathon games and a few normal all have crash different mods/vinilla never every made it to the end all ways crashes o well time to go back to civ 4 or some thing.

thing is nukes make me crash too so thats why i got no nukes thinking maybe i can finish one but guess not.

Runtime Error: [string "Assets/UI/InGame/WorldView/NotificationPane..."]:80: attempt to index field 'FreePolicyButton' (a nil value)
Runtime Error: Error loading Assets/UI/InGame/WorldView/NotificationPanel.lua.
Tutorial: Enabling Tutorial

* copied from firaxis live tuner *

Game crashes at same spot even after 2 loads.

I deleted cache folder.

I was running infoaddicts v5 mod
Forest growth mod
um.. this one obviously
mod list mod
think thats it..

Any insight?

Hmm that's Sneaks' Custom Notifications mod which I'm not very familiar with... will try and figure out what the problem is. Thanks for bringing it up.

Could you attach your "mods" folder and the savegame where the crash occurs?

Need troubleshootting when starting games in non-ancient era (i.e. modern, future, etc.) and non-standard maps (i.e. G1, fractal). When using uncommon maps options (i'm assuming they are less than common) like non-standard era, map, victory conditions, age, rainfall, etc. the mod has problems. I thought it was the game, but I played though the natural end of two vanilla games started with such "strange" options.

Main problem I encountered was being unable to select a building to produce, in any way. Not sure, but the game acted as if the game was over. Too many variables to narrow it down any further, but definiately as bug as I can play vanilla with same settings and no problems.

Thank you for an awesome mod.

------

After more playing, G1 map definately incompatible

ok, fractal with all other options on default not working, time for me to download and reinstall the current and last few versions one at a time, maybe it's my fault (though my vanilla install is a fresh and legit)

it appears to be in the TBC section, as once I inserted a "_" it works now. HTH.

The only error message is the (!) at the top indicating I am over my unit limit, however I found this out in another game as however didn't reveal any information in this case. I was able to move my units and found a city, but clicking on the city production bar as well as the map hammer did nothing and I could not end my turn, even my force-end.

I had the same problem with choosing production, and it turned out that removing v70 from the mods folder solved it. There must have been a conflict with the two versions.

I just checked, only "Unofficial Patch and Thals Balance (v 75)" of the versions is there...

Top Bottom