Yugoslav Breakup Scenario - Continuation Thread

Hans99

Warlord

For the old thread read:
http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/186873-Balkan-Breakup-Scenario-Creation-Thread

Giving Status Report:

Unit Redeployment: 20% ( Yeah )

Graphic files: 80%

Rules.txt: 75%

Events.txt: 50%

Other text stuff: 40%

Tech Tree: 10%

Sounds: 30%

Readme: 20%

Sub_Gifs: 80%

At the moment i am trying to get the events to work with the reduced numbers and grab some good sounds from youtube. Also i am working on contrast and colour levels to make the units more visible on standard zoom (hence te poll). To be honest i just played and designed on max zoom. When i tried the scen on standard zoom it was very straining for the eyes. Also thanks to Mcmonkey for turning my attention on this.

Slovene forces ambush an armoured column of the JNA

Attachments

• title.gif
    title.gif
    159.4 KB · Views: 1,230
  • Slovenes.png
    Slovenes.png
    140.6 KB · Views: 1,120
Now you mention it the action would be easier to follow the AI turn on max zoom as the section of the map you need to scan to find the fight would be reduced. During my own turn I would use standard zoom and then go to max zoom for the AI. It may be worthwhile suggesting this in the read me.

Two things go against you here (an against many ToT scenarios) when on standard zoom.

1) There is no combat graphic, as there was in MGE, to draw the eye to the fight when the AI attacks you, you just need to look out for the reducing strength bar.

2) The ToT unit shields are so pitifully inadequate it makes it very difficult to work out who's fighting who in a scenario where both sides have a lot of units in common or a lot of units that look similar.

One feature that helps redeem ToT on this point is the increased unit slots available. This generally allows you to give both sides unique units and add your own flags to aid recognition.

Status Report:

Unit Redeployment: 30%

Graphic files: 80%

Rules.txt: 80%

Events.txt: 60%

Other text stuff: 50%

Tech Tree: 20%

Sounds: 40%

Readme: 20%

@ McMonkey
About the problem who is fighting who, i tested Red front 1.4 for ToT, and also had great problems with the many units, as fighting sprites were missing. It worked better when i also zoomed in when it was the computers turn. Can i send you a graphic update the next days ( No full playtest, just the beginning three turns ) ?

The next thing i deceided is, that i will break it up in several campaigns, cause it allows me for more flexibility with the events. So we will have a serb campaign set, a croat campaign set etc... ,but i will still include a basic version where you have free choice and must not follow a campaign.

So at the moment i modify the scen for the serb campaign, where you have the mission to pacify all those anti yugoslav seperatist states :blush:. The first turn unit roulette for the serb side has been defused, and you now have a real chance to blast your way through to Zagreb before UN intervention kicks in.

@ McMonkey
About the problem who is fighting who, i tested Red front 1.4 for ToT, and also had great problems with the many units, as fighting sprites were missing. It worked better when i also zoomed in when it was the computers turn. Can i send you a graphic update the next days ( No full playtest, just the beginning three turns ) ?

Sure. It would be my pleasure.

I think breaking the scenario up into separate campaigns for each faction would make a lot of sense considering the scale of the scenario and it should allow you to get the most out of the events. It seems like there is loads of event space with ToT but its surprising how soon you can use it all up!

Status Report:

Unit Redeployment: 100% :)

Graphic files: 90%

Rules.txt: 80%

Events.txt: 60%

Other text stuff: 50%

Tech Tree: 30%

Sounds: 40%

Readme: 60%

the end is visible now...

Capitalisation is a advance that can be researched but is not available to the AI in the Beginning, yet it still can produce it. So i should try to remove the Capitalisation Advance completly from the tech tree to resolve this problem ?

Gave it a try. But the Croat AI still builds Capitalisation, altough the Tech is not available to them and it is set to no,no in the rules.txt. That's really strange. I know that the AI tends to go on a marketplace build frenzy, but never that it builts something without appropriate tech. More strange is, that the croats have two identical infantry units with the same prerequisites ( only different state flag, no critical slots in the unit.bmp ). The one unit gets build as it should in all cities, the other one gets replaced with capitalisation after turn 1. All other Civilizations act as they should with nearly identical unit stats.

I have no idea what could be the reason of this now ??? Any Ideas?

Hello Hans99:
If the Croats have too many units, it may build cities capitalization, although not technologically possible.
Saludos, Petit

Status Report:

Unit Redeployment: 100%

Graphic files: 100% :D

Rules.txt: 90%

Events.txt: 70% -> Nichaels tips in American Kingdoms helped a lot :goodjob:

Other text stuff: 60%

Tech Tree: 30% -> I hate tech trees...

Sounds: 50% -> Curts AK-47 sound rocks :)

Readme: 60%

Sub_Gifs: 90%

The new spring terrain

Attachments

• Spring.png
    Spring.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 864
two more things i need to know:

- What is the maximum size of a event file in ToT ? Wasn't it something around 100 KB?

- What does the denominator in random turn mean ? Does a high number in denominator mean a greater possibility or a lesser ?

Many thanks in Advance

two more things i need to know:

- What is the maximum size of a event file in ToT ? Wasn't it something around 100 KB?

- What does the denominator in random turn mean ? Does a high number in denominator mean a greater possibility or a lesser ?

Many thanks in Advance

A. Are you asking for Events.txt file size or heap size?

Maximum .txt file size is indeterminate but probably somewhere around 70KB, depending to a great extent on how much text there is.

Maximum heap size is ~ 106KB, made up of a combination of events (276 bytes each or 552 bytes if they contain @AND) plus text.

For example the following event from Red Front 1.4 Redux uses up 530 bytes.

@IF
CITYTAKEN
city=Bucharest
attacker=Soviets
defender=Germans
@THEN
GIVETECHNOLOGY
receiver=Germans
technology=88
TEXT
^After the loss of Bucharest, the Romanian government signs an act of surrender
^which ends the war with the Soviet Union. All Romanian troops immediately lay
^down their weapons and give up the fight.
ENDTEXT
JUSTONCE
@ENDIF

B. Lesser.

C.
Q: Is there any way to prevent the AI from switching city production to Capitalisation ?
A: Nope.

:)

What does the denominator in random turn mean ?
Macro.txt, mate.

Maximum heap size is ~ 106KB, made up of a combination of events (276 bytes each or 552 bytes if they contain @AND) plus text.
<pedantry>It's 284 bytes in memory, 276 in the SAV file.</pedantry> Trigger-action combos in @AND events are stored as two discrete events: trigger #1-action + trigger #2-action. Try to avoid the Text action in these events as all that text will be stored twice.

Yeah meant Heap size. That info helps a lot. I still got a lot of space left.
Make sure you leave enough room for Delayed events (if you have any), which require 284 bytes each (no strings attached).

Top Bottom