New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Since I don't want to miss out on the fun:

1. Nazi Germany
2. France
3. Finland

A preview thread has been posted. Please make light of reservations there.

Part: The Second, in which there is a radical style change that will be applied retroactively and some things occur:

Spoiler :

Symphony D,

Is that home-made? It looks really cool.

It's all just dumb old Photoshop. Some of the stuff might've been easier in Illustrator, but whatever. Flash is for later. Whirlpool Galaxy imagery and the imagery in EHS 1374 are sourced but modified. Milky Way is sourced but heavily modified. Everything else is scratch built.

There will probably be further edits to the avatars. Mostly Eirene's.

It's all just dumb old Photoshop. Some of the stuff might've been easier in Illustrator, but whatever. Flash is for later. Whirlpool Galaxy imagery and the imagery in EHS 1374 are sourced but modified. Milky Way is sourced but heavily modified. Everything else is scratch built.

There will probably be further edits to the avatars. Mostly Eirene's.

Did you ever get through those books? If so I can probably scrounge up some more advanced ones for you.

Actually, a Glorantha NES could be nice too, though it would certainly take a lot of work to set up.
Awesome games and a very interesting world. There is probably enough stuff on line to recreate the world. The maps would be time consuming though.

I haven't had the opportunity yet. That's the second thing on the to-do list with regard to this.

Avatars were updated, original post was modified with the updated version. For fun, the full-sized versions (not scaled consistently):

Spoiler Odyssey :

Spoiler Eirene :

Spoiler Jiang :

Spoiler Eyssen :

The graphics are stellar Symph, like always. The situation you've presented is... thought-provoking in the sense I'm genuinely now interested to see the conclusion. Perhaps my guesses won't be so far off. :)

Could you explain the reasoning/symbolism behind (all) the avatars?

Hi! I've been thinking of a historical game set in feudal Japan. Each player will run a Daimyo and its fiefdom, vying for control of the position of shogunate. I want the Buddhist/Japanese religious canon to play a large role in the game. Historically, religion during this time (what we might call superstition I guess?) played a big role in how armies fought and even how alliances were arranged. I was thinking that some things could happen like stories of a monster in a forest, or a witch in a snowy field, and so on. These wouldn't have some huge game effect per se, but might charm or curse your armies or lands. So of course that witch or monster doesn't actually exist, but it changes morale of your troops or gives your lands good luck or something.

We would be playing off of this map:

Spoiler :

My map making skills are poor, and I like this map - so there you go. The names you see in italics are the lords you will choose from to play. I will make stats for each daimyo if we ever play this. I'd like to brainstorm first.

I have an idea that I want to throw out there. A fresh start nes could be started with the setting being Ancient Venus. (Before it became too hot). Or maybe in combination with the previous idea the general environment would be similar to a previous era on earth (eg: Carboniferous, Jurassic, ect). I know those are crazy and stupid ideas but I think they would give a radical twist to the traditional fresh start. If anyone was interested in creating this, I would be more than happy to help out with the map.

Is it intended to be scientific, or is it intended to be Victorian sci-fi? What would the civilized species be?

Here are some sample stats for 1560 Japan. A few things:

. I decided on 1560 because I think starting at this time leaves the most room for player flexibility and the ability to significantly alter history.
. See this map.
. This is not perfect historically. Finding koku stats for clans prior to the Edo Period is difficult. I based the koku stats off of significant historical events, land ownings, and so on. I also threw in a touch of playability.
. By the way, koku is a measurement of how many people the rice fields can feed in that domain. That stat will effect your military, economy, and populace. You will have the potential to increase your koku up to ten fold, perhaps even more, depending on what you do!
. Factions need editing. ;) open to suggestions
. I want to add army descriptions for each clan. That will obviously take a while. :) Any help would be great! Suggestions or whatever.
. Do not let Oda Nobunaga's koku fool you (or other clans, for that matter). Koku size does not equal better clan necessarily. Army descriptions will mean a lot, but also I plan to have some clans with factions such as Oda Retainers or Supporters or something.
. Was thinking about having some special samurai or something, but thought that'd be too complicated!

Spoiler :
Date Clan
Daimyo: Date Terumune
Heir: Date Masamune
Factions:
Koku: 150,000

Nanbu Clan
Daimyo: Nanbu Harumasa
Heir: Nanbu Harutsugu
Factions:
Koku: 60,000

Mogami Clan
Daimyo: Mogami Yoshimori
Heir: Mogami Yoshiaki
Factions:
Koku: 40,000

Uesugi Clan
Daimyo: Nagao Kagetora / Uesugi Kenshin
Heir:
Factions:
Koku: 100,000

Takeda Clan
Daimyo: Takeda Shingen
Heir:
Factions:
Koku: 100,000

Hojo Clan
Daimyo: Hojo Ujiyasu
Heir: Hojo Ujimasa
Factions:

Imagawa Clan
Daimyo: Imagawa Yoshimoto
Heir:
Factions:

Oda Clan
Daimyo: Oda Nobunaga
Heir:
Factions:
Koku: 30,000

Satake Clan
Daimyo: Satake Yoshiaki
Heirs: Satake Yoshishige
Factions:
Koku: 50,000

Yuki Clan
Daimyo: Yuki Harutomo
Heirs: None
Factions: Hojo Retainers (4/4)
Koku: 10,000

Satomi Clan
Daimyo: Satomi Yoshihiro
Heirs: younger brother Yoshiyori
Factions:

Saito Clan
Daimyo: Saito Yohorsehockyatsu
Heirs: Saito Tatsuoki
Factions:
Koku: 40,000

Asakura Clan
Daimyo: Asakura Yoshikage
Heirs:
Factions:

Miyoshi Clan

Chosokabe Clan

Ichijo Clan

Urakami Clan

Amako Clan

Mori Clan

Otomo Clan

Ryuzoji Clan

Shimazu Clan

Is it intended to be scientific, or is it intended to be Victorian sci-fi? What would the civilized species be?
Sorry for delaying but it would try to stick very roughly to how OTL human civilization progressed. The biggest difference would be the geography and biology. So like for instance a NES that takes place in the Carboniferous Period, would have radically different terrain (eg: mostly swamp/marshes/bogs and very hot/humid), and different animals (eg: invertebrates, fish, salamanders, and some reptiles), the plant life would also be different, (eg: Ferns, reeds, mosses, ferns, cycads, and early conifers).

So to sum it up shortly, the goal would be to try to create something that's aiming to be similar as possible to OTL. While also trying to stay true to the conditions of the time period. Also I need to point out that a lot of animals, and plants that presently exist now wouldn't be around at the time period but would have equivalents. With invertebrates (insects especially), and many plant species being huge due to the large amount of CO2 present at the time. But this is just an idea, and I just think it would be a twist from normal NESes.

So how do the humans end up in this situation? Time travel or somesuch, or is that just the way it is?

Top Bottom