BTS: Westeros / Game of Thrones / ASOIAF

TheBeast

Chieftain
**UPDATED**

Here's a huge (64x104) map of Westeros, the fictional setting of the book series "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George RR Martin and now of the HBO series "Game of Thrones". I've updated the map to include resources. The map is now playable, but i could use feedback on the amount and location of resources, the terrain and the geographic features to make sure they are accurate.

Some issues I have:
-Vastness of the north: idk what do do about this. It seems as though the north will have a huge advantage because of how much land they have (and the resources in it). Some solutions i've thought of are either simply reducing the # of resources in the north, limiting the number of cities the north has, or adding more snow/tundra to the north. Any thoughts?
-Dorne: how much desert should be here? I want it to be a balanced game, but I also want to capture the geography of westeros.
-I've noticed some of the rivers look funny (wells on the wrong side and what not).
-The wall: any ideas? Im thinking just making mountains with three spaces for Castle Black, Shadow Tower, and Eastwatch by the sea.

My ultimate goal is to make an even bigger map (~128x104) to include parts of the other continent (Essos), but thats just an idea.

Anyways, let me know what you all think, as I want this map to work well. The file is in .zip and includes: a XC4DME file for civ 4 map editor and a BTS Worldbuildersave file.

See the Dowload here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17201

-Beast

PS: MOD with Scenario on the way! You will take control of 1 of the following factions:

The North - Robb Stark, Eddard Stark
The Riverlands - Hoster Tully, Edmure Tullly
The Vale - Lysa Arryn, Jon Arryn
The Westerlands - Tywin Lannister, Jaime Lannister
The Crownlands - Cersei Lannister, Robert Baratheon
The Iron Islands - Balon Greyjoy, Victarion Greyjoy
The Reach - Mace Tyrell
The Stormlands - Renly Barathron, Robert Baratheon
Dragonstone - Stannis Baratheon
Dorne - Doran Martell
The Night's Watch - Jeor Mormont, Jon Snow
The Wildings (probably unplayable, still deciding) - Mance Rayder

I will also be making the following civs:
The Dothraki - The Khal, Daenerys Stormborn
The Targaryen - Aerys II, Rhaegar

The setting for the scenario will be: (Do not read further unless you've seen all of the HBO show or you've read the first book in the series)

Spoiler :
The setting will be immediately after the death of Eddard Stark. Lannister and Tully are already at war and Robb Stark's forces have amassed and are heading south. Stannis has few soldiers but a formidable navy. Renly and Mace have yet to enter the conflict, but are building up their armies. The Vale remains neutral but angry with the Lannisters/Crownlands.

I welcome any suggestions about the map or ideas for the future scenario.

And finally, I need help making this mod. Anyone with some experience with mod making or just really interested in helping? I could def use a hand. especially with the images (flags, buttons etc.) and unit creation.

So I managed to play it in the end (It's too bad that it's not compatible with the ice and fire mod though). Some things on the map struck me as not entirely right :
-The vale should only be accessible through the mountains where Tyrion found Shagga and all the mountain tribesmen, which means IMO just a hill plain with a fort in the west. It means it should be easily defended, but the vale is also accessible from the sea, so you cannot feel totally safe.
-The Neck should be mud (the mud terrain exists, it's used in severall mods here) so that it's not as plentiful as it is now.
-It might be nice to put Harrenhal, Casterly Rock and Storm's End on hills to make them harder to take.
-Also the main cities are not the best cities in the current map, the resources could be moved around to make them more powerful. Maybe the riverlands should have more food, as well as Highgardens, whereas the rest should have less.

Except for those, the map is good. I'm just wondering where to put the twins as they are on both side of the river. :)

For my part, I don't know anything about modding. But if you need help I can always try (although I might ruin things inadvertently :D).

On the starting situation :
-If Ned is dead, why is he a leader for the North ? He could be replaced by Bolton or the Greatjon.
-Are you sure Lysa should be angry towards the Crown ? I mean, maybe you haven't read book 4 and 5 but it's debatable anyway.

And the wall would probably be best represented by mountains with 3 hilly spots for Castle black, Eastwatch and the Shadow Tower.

Thanks for those suggestions about the map. I'll definitely put those in place.
(In the neck ive placed flood plains, do you think this is enough or should i dl the mud terrain?)

EDIT: The twins im thinking will just be a city on the east side of the river with a fortress on the other side?
This also got me thinking though: do you think i should make the rivers with ocean tiles? This way it makes fords and bridges (like the twins) that much more important as you cannot cross them anywhere else without ships (duh haha). The only worry is that it will make the map cluttered and inaccurate...

As for the scenario, the leader of the north will of course be Robb (although i like the idea of a greatjon leader, he's awesome haha). I am going to make an Eddard Stark leader for the north as well, but he would be for either free play or a future scenario i plan to make (War of the Usurper or Greyjoy Rebellion/both?) an not for this one.

Spoiler :
As for Lysa angry at the crown, again this will be for this scenario only which takes place immediately after ned stark's (and jon arryns) death, so it makes sense she is angy/paranoid and all holed up in the eyrie as she blames all the lannisters (cersei, jaime, tywin, tyrion, etc.). But ill consider changing this if you think it places too much of a restriction on gameplay.

And just a heads up, right now i am only halfway through clash of kings, so if my lore is a bit off, that is why. Also dont spoil anything for me haha.

I'm in the middle of a feast for crows myself, but I won't tell you anything, promised !

About the neck, well it's not supposed to be a densely populated area, so if you put flood plains all over it won't fit. The mud terrain is just 1 food, not workable and units lose 10% strength per turn for standing over it, which is just what we want : the neck should be narrow, hard to take, and with moat caillin as a stronghold.

I like your idea about a war of the usurper scenario, and about making the trident rivers coastal (but not the other rivers, I think it would be too much).

After giving it some thought, I came to the conclusion that dorne might be better represented (like egypt in earth maps) with flood plains (although not too much because it's not that populated), not a lot of workable tiles but mostly good tiles (like copper, severall spices, maybe a sugar etc...).
The reach and the riverlands are the main food centers of westeros, so their land should be made of wheat, corn, rice, deer and such. Perhaps some flood plains near the trident to represent the frequent floods ruining the region.

Ok sounds good. I'll start applying this mud terrain because that does sound perfect for the neck. I'll try using ocean tiles for the trident but if doesnt look/play right ill switch it back.
I'll also do those changes to dorne and i think ill include some wine down there somewhere also in addition to spices and sugar and what not.
I'll hopfully get an updated map out somtime this week. The mod im making is still in the early stages but maybe ill release the scenario once ive added tile improvements and played through it a couple of times.

One other idea i have is expanding the map to include a bit more of the land beyond the wall in the north because right now it seems a little cramped up there. It would be the same map but just a few tiles longer (64x115 or something). This would make playing as the night's watch more engaging as there would be more to explore and more enemies to fight.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
-beast

Good catch about the Dornish wine ;)

Actually the most important thing if you want the night watch to be an interesting game is to make mance raider strong at first (but with scattered troops), and make "others" units spawn after some time (barbarians). The player won't have time to get bored with all these enemies coming for him.

I suppose you have severall choices about what to release/work on first, but if you could just make a scenario with bts civilizations representing the different houses and their starting situation it would make a good start (and something to do while waiting for the mod).

And you're welcome for the suggestions :D

Top Bottom