Common Checklist for playing mods

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
--- Common Checklist ---

Civ 5 has several things everyone needs to check for when using any mod.

Summary:
  1. Everything up to date.
  2. Update between games.
  3. Try the English version.
  4. Delete the cache folder.
  5. Delete the ModUserData folder.
  6. Delete old mod versions.
  7. Load games from the main menu, and do not regenerate maps.
  8. Replacing farms crashes the game.
  9. If problems occur, check further on the list.

Details:
  1. Ensure your mods and Civ are up to date. Attempting to load mods or saves on incompatible versions of Civ usually crashes the game.

If you're on a mac and a recent patch has not been released for macs, download an older version of the mod. All versions of each mod are available in the mod's listing on the Mod Browser (see Spoiler dropdown below). Many mods on the Mod Browser have not been updated by their creators in months, and won't work with the latest patches; the threads here at CivFanatics are generally the best indicators of recent activity.

Spoiler Past Versions of mods on Mod Browser :
  2. Update the game and mods between finishing one game and starting the next. Changing the game, then loading an old save usually works, but can sometimes crash or cause other weird effects.
  3. Play mods on the English version of Civ if possible. Some mods are compatible with other language versions, but most mods are less compatible. This is unfortunate, but due to the reality most modders don't have translation teams like Firaxis or other major game developers.
  4. Delete the cache folder. It contains temporary data that can cause bizzare bugs after changing mods:
    C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache
  5. Sometimes if you delete the ModUserData folder it can solve rarer problems.
    C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModUserData
  6. Ensure you have only one version of the mod installed in the MODS folder.
  7. Exit to the main menu to load games. Loading a savefile from within an active game breaks all mods with lua code.
    UPDATE: it appears the same problem happens if we regenerate the map.
    If you encounter problems while playing a mod . . .
  8. Try the mod on average map settings: standard size, standard speed, Continents script, default advanced game options. Some mods are incompatible with some map scripts.
  9. Try the mod alone with other mods moved out out of the Mods folder:
    C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
  10. Verify the game files are not corrupted. Firaxis posted instructions on how to do this: click here.
  11. Check the load order of the mods you are using. The mod installed first loads first. To change load order:
    1. Move all mods out of the /MODS folder.
    2. Move in the mod you wish to load first.
    3. Enable it ingame.
    4. Repeat #2-3 for each additional mod, one at a time.
  12. Check if your problem is listed under the "Vanilla Bugs" below.
  13. Contact the mod author about the problem you've encountered. Most mods have a thread or forum here on CivFanatics to leave feedback.

--- Vanilla Bugs/Problems ---

Civ 5 has several things to consider when loading/using mods, but the good news is most problems are easily avoided:

1. Farms: If you build a farm atop a hidden resource like Horses, then later reveal the horses and attempt to build a pasture, the game crashes. This also happens if the AI does it.
    Workaround: None known.
  2. Cache: Cache does not clear after changing mods (causes unpredictable issues from data collision).
    Workaround: Manually delete the cache folder.
  3. Reloading: Loading or regenerating the map within an existing game breaks mods with lua code.
    Workaround: Exit to the main menu before loading games.
  4. Combat: Quick combat and strategic view break mods which detect combat.
    Workaround: Avoid quick combat, and use normal view for combat situations and between turns.
  5. Installation: Multiple versions of a mod in the Mods folder breaks the game, since it loads data from all installed mods, not just enabled ones.
    Workaround: Only have one version of each mod installed.
  6. Updates: Changing mods or mod versions mid-game typically crashes when attempting to load the save (instead of providing an error message).
    Workaround: Update mods between finishing one game and starting the next.
  7. Resources: Any mods that add or modify resources are incompatible with the Lakes, Great Plains, and Highlands map scripts, as well as any scenarios or custom maps with pre-set resource locations.
    Workaround: You can avoid these scripts entirely, or use altered versions of them that have no incompatibilities.
  8. Multiplayer: Mods do not work in multiplayer.
    Workaround: None.
  9. Conflicts: Two mods can be incompatible with each other without having any obvious error messages. If you try using multiple large mods and it doesn't immediately crash, that doesn't mean that the mods work together; you might not see unusual behavior until hundreds of turns into the game.
    Workaround: When in doubt, ask in the mods' threads here at CivFanatics.

I'd add a few more:

Checklist:
12> Ensure the mod you're using is compatible with the most recent version of the game. Many mods on the in-game Mod Browser have not been updated by their creators in months, and simply won't work with the latest patches; the threads here at CivFanatics are generally the best indicators of recent activity.

Vanilla bugs:
6> Resources: Any mod that adds new resources or modifies the distribution of existing resources will be incompatible with the Lakes, Great Plains, and Highlands map scripts, as well as any scenarios or custom maps with pre-set resource locations.
Workaround: You can avoid these scripts entirely, or use altered versions of them that have no incompatibilities.

7> Multiplayer: Mods do not work in multiplayer.
Workaround: None.

8> Conflicts: Two mods can be incompatible with each other without having any obvious error messages. If you try using multiple large mods and it doesn't immediately crash, that doesn't mean that the mods work together; you might not see unusual behavior until hundreds of turns into the game.
Workaround: When in doubt, ask in the mods' threads here at CivFanatics.

Thanks Thalassicus. Is there any reason not to delete ModUserData? (Does it do anything good?)

Also, based on your instructions above it is not clear whether deleting cache and ModUserData can be done with Civ5 running (say when in menu mode before loading a new mod). I always assumed this was a bad idea.

You cannot delete cache while the game is running. Not sure about moduserdata.

A tip for modders: if your mod has lua code, include this custom property on the Project Properties screen in ModBuddy:

DisableLoadGameOption 1

This custom property was added by Firaxis in June (I believe) and disables the capability to reload from within an active game, therefore avoiding vanilla bug #2. I'm not sure if Firaxis is aware of this bug or this is simply a coincidence.

i can not get steam workshop to download any mods... i've subscribed to a few but no downloads, i deleted the chache and restarted game however steam will not down load the mods..what else should i try/

Is there a tutorial on how to download and install mods with the (not so) "new" Steam interface ? I tried "suscribing" mods but nothing happens (I have a legit non-corrupt install including all DLC + G&K)
(just noticed: same problem as previous poster, post being months old I guess no one cares)

Is there a tutorial on how to download and install mods with the (not so) "new" Steam interface ? I tried "suscribing" mods but nothing happens (I have a legit non-corrupt install including all DLC + G&K)
(just noticed: same problem as previous poster, post being months old I guess no one cares)

It's "stickied" in the main "Civ5 - Creation & Customization" forum, I guess no one bothers to read the forums before posting

Hi everyone, noobie CiV question. How do I get my OWN Mods into play please? I have experience in XML and Python modding from Civ4, so am not phased with changes and file exchanges for results. I even changed the GlobalDefines of CiV by the Civ4 method of replacing the original and some of the changes work in game. But... (there's always one isn't there?) the modding method via ModBuddy seems to be so much more logical that I'd like to use it. And here is the problem, I can download and bring to play other people's Mods. I usually do it via the manual method of down loading, and copying the files into C:\Users\user1\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\ModNamexyz. For the past 20 days I have lurked here and read Kael's manual, Thalassicus's tut - which I followed and constructed a Template as well as various other tuts, and solutions offered. I used all the above resources to construct Kael's Simple Clock Mod, via ModBuddy, for the unique number allocation which was given. When I finished with the Mod in the Solution Panel the properties indicated that the save path would be as above. I could not find anywhere what the protocol is in saving the Mod and exiting ModBuddy, but I assumed that a File>MultiSave as it was offered was the way to go, so I did that. After exiting ModBuddy, I checked in \My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\ and Lo and Behold, My Mod was saved after the last slash. In the accompanying ModUserData file is the Mod's unique ModBuddy generated number (that's why this file also has to be voided in order to avoid Mod clashes). I entered the game, No Mod. Ahh, Thalassicus says "In the ModBuddy menus go to Build > Build Solution. Open Civ V and enable your mod under Mods > Installed Mods." How do I enable? I went in and pressed the Mod's Civilization V Solution button, I got a Busy Circle, then I retreated to the Desktop, Press the V shortcut for the game "and wait for it ..." There was No Mod in the Mods list! Played a couple of turns and came out, did this a number of times still no Mod!! Never mind that there's no other mod, that the cache has been cleaned, I even uninstalled the game, re-installed from it's original CD, and re-registered it from Steam, also getting the new patch for Vanilla in the process and did you know that we can now use an interactive screen with our fingers? But no, No Mod!!! If I can't get a simple 2 line XML and 3 line LUA progrm to work, how the heck can I Mod? Like all information says, the machine is clean, the files empty, the Cache reconstituted, the game bought and newly Steam updated. No it's not the new patch, because the problem existed before the update, the update came about because the Mod wasn't loading. Can anyone help please? :confused: and :(:(

Thanks Nutty, yes it was, as I reported - " I checked in \My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\ and Lo and Behold, My Mod was saved after the last slash" and it's ModBuddy number was shown in the ModUserData folder. Any ideas?

Right, although you said this was the case after you chose File > MultiSave (I assume that's a translation, as it's "Save All" for me). It shouldn't have been in that folder until you built it. Did you set your project location to your Mods folder? Did you change any other paths?

You'll know it's the built copy because it will have "(v 1)" or whatever version number you're using after the mod's folder name, and it will have a .modinfo file in the folder with the same name and version.

I know there used to be problems when the game wasn't on the C drive, but I think that was fixed. I know there used to be problems when there were non-English characters in the username you use to login to Windows or non-English characters in the mod's name; I'm not sure whether those were fixed or not.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe you made a copy of one of your other mods and never changed the Mod ID, in which case it will only find one of the mods, but if I understand you correctly, you deleted all the other mods in your mods folder...

I dunno...

Hi again, sorry for the delay, but RL problems took me away and I didn't see your reply.

1st, let me elaborate my save as this could be an easily solvable problem ... or not. :lol: When I finished the ModBuddy work on the Mod, ie all files, properties etc. I did not know how to end the session, so I followed "Windows" procedure and clicked on the 'File' top left hand entry of ModBuddy. A fold down menu appeared, with the single "Disk Save" icon greyed out which means unavailable. however right below it, the "MultiSave" Icon was not greyed out but blue, depicting a number of floppys stacked one behind each other "MultiSaves?". That's what I pressed to end the Modbuddy session for the Mod.

Then I closed Mod Buddy, went to C:\Users\user1\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS and under MODS I found my little "LaMod Clock" Mod. It was there!! The files are all there as written and there is a - for lack of a better word, an executable that Notepad++ sees as compiled code that I have seen in all working Mods.

The 3 files are:

MODS\ Folder

LaMod Clock\ Folder

LaMod Clock "extn" FileFolder

LaMod Clock "extn" CIV5SLLN File

LaMod Clock "extn" CIV5SUO File

---
Note No where do I see a (vNumber) info, extn or expansion on the name as you maintain should be there.

It shouldn't have been in that folder until you built it. Did you set your project location to your Mods folder? Did you change any other paths?

I did build it and saved as I explained above. I have not changed any paths, they should all be as "Steam":( installed. The file paths are as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V - and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK - and ofcourse:
C:\Users\user1\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS

The fact that there is no version number that you mentioned, indicates there is a problem, what and where is it? I don't know. Suggestions? :confused:

Further how and when do you set Project Location? I did not see that in any Tuts.

Go to the Tools menu and choose Options. In Projects and Solutions > General, the Projects location should NOT be set to your Mods\ directory. Make it anything else (Mine is C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Firaxis ModBuddy). Then move your mod to a folder under whatever path you picked. When you're ready to test your mod, you go to the Build menu, and choose Build Solution, which will create your mod with a .modinfo file in the (v 1) directory under Mods\, etc. as described above.

EDIT: If the mod isn't appearing in your Mods\ folder at that point, then another path is wrong somewhere. However, you can copy it manually from the Build\ folder which should be created within your ModBuddy mod's file structure in the project location.

If you have more problems, this isn't the right thread for this conversation. Make a new post in the main Creation & Customization forum.

Thank you Sir, I'll try your instructions. You're really a Prince!

I guess so :lol: Actually the subforum section is so large that I did not notice there was also a thread section below with the post I needed to read
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=465972

I was about to ask the same question (long-time player, first-time mod user) until I saw this. These kinds of forums are seemingly easy to navigate through but, really, they could be better. There are so many sections that it's really easy to miss a single thread

What is the significance of deleting the cache and ModUser folders and does that mean they have no importance at all in gameplay to Civ 5?

I have G&K and almost every DLC and I have followed every step in getting my first mods to work but they simply do not show up. The only two things I haven't done are deleting those folders - is that the source of my problems?

Top Bottom