King of the World #19: Qin Shi Huang

Build up a navy of Triremes to combat Toku's Galleys. Build a couple of cities southward to Vietnam (given you have Calendar) or Harbin/SE Russia (if you don't).

And regarding Asoka he starts slow but becomes a beast later on, so watch your west flank. Build a few Archers and Axemen and send them to Burma to watch for invasion forces.

Definitely agree. Some archers on the jungle hills in Southeast Asia will be able to observe and block Asoka. I'd go after Tokugawa first. If you do, a detour to masonry for the Great Lighthouse might be worth it. The fact that everyone is at war should delay wonder completion dates, making it even easier for Mr. Industrious to build it.

I'd tech sailing and go plant a city (with an archer of course) on one of the offshore islands for +2 coin trade routes with all of your continental cities. It will pay for itself. If you can get the GLH, you'll definitely want to plant a few more cities, and possibly even try knocking Toku off.

I'd tech sailing and go plant a city (with an archer of course) on one of the offshore islands for +2 coin trade routes with all of your continental cities. It will pay for itself. If you can get the GLH, you'll definitely want to plant a few more cities, and possibly even try knocking Toku off.

Japan is great land.

With Genghis gone, there's going to be nothing to keep Cathy or Cyrus in check from building up staging grounds all over the taiga. Hong Kong is a strong, defensible city to keep Asoka in check. I believe there's room for maybe one more choke point type city down in that area (cutting India off from Southeast Asia with a burg in Burma), so that might be worth settling if you can beat Asoka there.

I'd say don't go after Asoka unless you're ready to go full hog with it. Once you commit to it, you'll have enemies on all sides unless you're ready to plug away straight to Cyrus (who may be chipping at India from the other side). If you can wipe out India from Bangladesh to Delhi, you've got another nice choke point on the other side of the subcontinent to defend. If you go halfheartedly, your enemies will be on all sides.

I think Cathy is a bigger long-term threat than Asoka because she's more willing to commit a buttload of troops, and with Genghis gone she's got a lot of room to grow right at you. If you've got the forces, take India; if not, expand northwest to consolidate your hold on the good land in east Asia.

You can kill Tokugawa at your leisure, but to defend your seafood, I'd still say go Sailing next, then AH. You've got a nice, good-sized empire with a defensible border in the south, but you want to meet Cathy on your own terms, not hers.

If you park two triremes, one on each side of Japan, Toku won't attack you for a long long time. I wouldn't bother tackling protective archers without CR2 swords or catapults.

I really can't tell about what happens in this all against all enviroment, but you can easily mount a defensive outpost in the area near Ganges mouth:
Spoiler :

( image from BTS E1000 AD at game start ... the terrain is the same except for the jungle/ forest cover and the improvements )

That spice tile is perfect for a defensive city and would block the SE Asia for you ... the issue is if you can pay for a city so far away and if the tile is not taken already by Asoka. Not sure of any of them ...

I would agree on letting japan rot alone for now. At best , since you have trirremes, blockade the shore to make them starve. Anyway the next set should be one of developing land and not go overboard on cities ... maintenance is the biggest issue in AW and there is a huge temptation to overbuild units before you can actually pay for them ...

Time for sailing and a few triemes to keep Tokugawa off-shore. In fact I would think it interesting to keep Toku alive and off-shore for as long as you can while he watches the mighty chinese steamrole over the world.

Spoiler :

( image from BTS E1000 AD at game start ... the terrain is the same except for the jungle/ forest cover and the improvements )

Hmm, it must be the E1000ad mod, cause to my eyes, Chengdu and Dongjing breaks the cityplacementrule (always at least 2 tiles a part), lol, in fact i just noticed Changsha and Guangzhou as well :lol:

Just a notice

If you read the quoted post, you will see that I mentioned that fact :p It was just because i already had this pic uploaded for one of my SG games that were played in E1000 AD that i used it here ... and some lazyness to start the game, screenshot and upload :D

If you read the quoted post, you will see that I mentioned that fact :p It was just because i already had this pic uploaded for one of my SG games that were played in E1000 AD that i used it here ... and some lazyness to start the game, screenshot and upload :D

I did read it :) The thing about the cityplacement is still standing :) AND, I know it is not from the actual game itself but from a mod, which I also pointed out in my comment ;)

So, cityplacementrule ...:lol:

Just to make it perfectly clear, i was not commenting on cityplacement in Mads game, just the pic

Ok a trimeme Choke on Toku is just too entertaining to pass up.

I think you should let yourself get some wonders. The Collusus with be stupid cheap with both industry and copper. Combine that with The GreatLighthouse and and you will then have the economic base to conquer with your Cho-Ko Nu's which should come online just after you finish those wonders.

GLH and Colossus just don't seem worth it unless he's planning on going after Toku. If he's just gonna choke Toku and REX + fight Asoka, I'd focus on the fundamentals instead.

What folder do I put the MOD in, and when I run BTS, do I go to "Advanced Options", Run a Mod, and then "Custom Scenarios" after running the Mod?

What folder do I put the MOD in, and when I run BTS, do I go to "Advanced Options", Run a Mod, and then "Custom Scenarios" after running the Mod?

C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Blargh. The round is played, but I've got heater installers bustling around, drilling holes in walls. And the dog is barking bloody murder at them. And I didn't sleep so well last night. So my brain is fried. I'll drop off the save, but a proper writeup's gonna have to wait until tomorrow. Sorry, guys.

Despite the vast tracts of rich, arable land available to her, China would have to break with Earth history and become a naval power. Enough of a naval power, at least, to counter Japan's rampaging Galleys off her coast. The teeming herds of Cows, Sheep, and Horses, penned in all over Eurasia, were allowed to continue to run free in the far east.

The war front for those first few years was stagnant. Cat-and-mouse battles with Asoka continued in southeast Asia, and the Indians even snuck a few Archers through the Himalayas into the Chinese heartland, but these were raids, not a full scale invasion, so they were easily beaten back. The barbarian incursions into Old Mongolia were a different matter. Nationless looters poured from the Siberian plains, bearing clubs, bows, and eventually axes. Karakorum was never in serious danger, but many of the city's surrounding mines and pastures were destroyed over the course of the round.

Karakorum wasn't the only Chinese city to suffer. Hong Kong completed a Forge, promising strong Productivity to come. But it was short-lived for, on the very eve of its opening, a monsoon swept through the city:

Destroying the new Forge and a Monument to boot. Gotta say, I was strongly considering a reload there, but I persevered.

With Sailing completed, a navy was slapped together and Machinery was looked into to pave the way for our coming Engineer. Despite the uneasy feeling that we're lagging badly in Tech (Still no Animal Husbandry!? Or Alphabet!?), we proved to be second in the rankings:

I wonder who #1 is. The Incas, maybe? Huayna Capac is Financial, and with South America open to him, and with Eurasia's tech-trading advantages gone, who knows?

Regardless, second place may be good enough for now, but our economy is clearly sagging. We need a boost. And what better place to look for extra gold than in our abundant coastlines?

The Colossus didn't quite make it a night and day difference, but it was a solid investment of hammers, I think. Well, hammers and whipped population :devil:

So, with a navy built up and our borders (mostly) secure, I sent some raiders off to choke Kyoto:

Now, I know we'd agreed that putting Japan on lockdown while we conquered the rest of the world would be fun, but... Two Archers? And with a free Settler holed up in the city? Come on. No reason to leave those juicy islands in the hands of the enemy.

But first, it was time to finally usher in the age of the Cho-Ko-Nu:

Wow, peanuts really CAN be used for anything.

So in 215 B.C., Kyoto was taken:

The Lighthouse survived, but Tokugawa had escaped, and the populace held out hope for his triumphant return. 3 additional angry faces in an empire that's already starved for happiness resources! After whipping out a Monument, the one remaining productive worker was able to feed the rest of the population off of the Fish tile, but the city wasn't even earning its keep, much less earning its status as a crown jewel of the empire. Tokugawa would need to be found.

Chittagong was founded to form a defensible border with Asoka and claim Malaysia for the Chinese empire:

The city is a little choked right now, between Jungles and Indian culture, and it will never be a top tier city, but with the Spices, Bananas, and Rice, along with a bunch of Grasslands under all those vines, it's got some potential. And, for now, it'll serve as a focus for Asoka's aggression.

A Scout was sent westward, where he found Moscow's defenses sorely lacking:

But he was quickly killed off. Without the possibility of Open Borders, I think we're pretty much resigned to not knowing what the rest of the map looks like :sad:

Tokyo, Japan's final redoubt, was significantly farther south than I'd expected:

But it was, thankfully, lightly defended. Assault troops were loaded onto a Galley and sent southward forthwith.

Mathematics was our next major research goal. I figure it opens up Construction (for military), Currency (for our lagging economy), and Calendar (to finally get some happiness resources online). But first, we took a quick trip into Masonry. Why?

For the Great Lighthouse, of course. Again, not a fantastic Wonder, but with Kyoto ours, and with the south Pacific now open to us, it makes too much sense not to build it.

Like clockwork, Asoka started sending real opposition at Chittagong:

No worries. Axemen and Swordsmen there are actually less trouble than Archers tooling around near Beijing and Hong Kong.

Tokyo was crushed without much opposition:

And Earth18 was down to Earth15 (in order: Germany, Mongolia, Japan). And we could now turn our attentions to Asoka.

The source of Chittagong's Cultural pressure was identified:

Lightly defended, but still too tough a nut to crack for my expeditionary force. Regardless, Bombay is now our target.

One of our soldiers from the naval assaults on Japan, Horatio Nelson, returned to Beijing in triumph. He was a skilled tactician and a charismatic leader. He was brought to Qin Shi Huang's palace and was honored as a hero of the empire:

Now the question is, what to do with him? Create a Spearman supermedic? Attach him to a Cho-Ko-Nu and create a breaker? Settle him for long-term xp?

With Mathematics completed, we also have a choice to make in terms of technology:

I'm strongly leaning Calendar. We have way too many Plantation resources out there, and our Happy Cap of 4 is cramping my style. And the Mausoleum is a nice bonus, too (Damn you, Industrial trait!). But I'm willing to be argued with.

Here's a look at our empire at this point:

And our Military Advisor:

As you can see, we have two Settlers available to us. I'm thinking one in northern Japan to make use of the Silver, and the other down somewhere in the Pacific, to make use of the islands? There's a tough Barbarian city on a hill in Malaysia at the moment. I've been putting that particular project off, but maybe it's time. What do you all think? I look forward, as always, to the discussion.

Wow, peanuts really CAN be used for anything.

:lol:

Unfortunately, if I recall correctly GW Goethals was the guy who oversaw digging the Panama Canal, and GW Carver was the peanut guy.

Top Bottom