Saved Promotions seem buggy

FeiLing

Deity
Game Version: 1.0.1.511

Observation:
Sometimes I can attack with a unit (all movement point are used up) and I can still give that unit a promotion which it had saved up (Promotion saving is enabled).
Sometimes the same unit can not be promoted in the turn the unit performed an attack.

I don't know if this is a bug or if there is a rule behind it. I don't see a pattern though.
You can't say "if you don't do X, then you'll not be unable to use your promotion".
If anyone does see/know how this is working or if you can confirm/have had the same problem, please comment!

Here a picture series from the attached savegame:

1 - Shows Warrior1 (left of Thebes) with a saved up promotion.
2 - Shows Warrior2 (right of Thebes) with a saved up promotion.
3 - Warrior1 attacked Thebes --> No more movement; promotion can still be chosen.
4 - Warrior2 attacks the enemy warrior --> No more movement; promotion can not be chosen.
5 - Instead of attacking Warrior2 ends his move now by just moving two tiles --> No more movement; promotion can still be chosen.
6 - Instead of attacking Warrior2 ends his move now by moving once within the enemies Zone of Control --> No more movement; promotion can still be chosen.

Here's the savegame:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5773554/.../Saved-Promotions-possibly-buggy.Civ5Save

No. Doubt that makes a difference anyway.

The only difference in these picture is one is attacking a city and one attacking an enemy unit.
Could that be it? Or maybe it's the attack coupled with movement... so next things to test:

1) What happens when a unit with a saved up promotion captures a city.
2) What happens when a unit with a saved up promotion attacks a unit but doesn't kill it (doesn't move a tile).

You've got me stumped on this one. I think I've read that melee can use promotion after attacking, and ranged cannot, but that clearly doesn't apply here. My initial thought while reading your post was ZOC somehow affected your ability to promote, but you disproved that as well.

I have noticed this same conundrum in games, but didn't map it out as clearly as you have. It looks like maybe only a city-attack will allow a saved promotion after attack. That would fit my experience... Maybe they intentionally put that in to make city-taking a little easier?

To your second post, in "1", I have frequently taken cities with saved-promotion units and I continue to have the option to promote after I take the city.

As to "2", I am not 100% sure, but fairly confident from experience that you cannot promote after attacking a unit even if the attack does not kill the target.

So far I believe it's the city attack. Attacking a city allows to use a saved up promotion, while attacking a unit does not. Still confirmations needed I guess and I still wanna test if this also applies if by taking the city you capture/kill a civilian.

Top Bottom