Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > OTHER GAMES > All Other Games > Rise of Nations

Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:59 PM   #1
masonryan
Chieftain

anyone still play this?

I loved the game when it came out and played the crap out of it, but I got board after a month of playing and hardly any competition online just woundering if anyone still plays online?
masonryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Nerowannabe
Warlord

I was actually going to pick it up at Office Depot since they had it on sale for $9.99. I liked the demo and would probably like the full game.
"That board with the nail in it may have defeated us,but,the humans won't stop there. They'll make bigger boards and bigger nails. Soon they'll make a board with a nail so big it will destroy them all!"
Nerowannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:27 AM   #3
Owen Glyndwr
The Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonryan View Post
I loved the game when it came out and played the crap out of it, but I got board after a month of playing and hardly any competition online just woundering if anyone still plays online?
This is basically the game in a nutshell. Fun as hell for a few weeks, but not enough replay value to keep me coming back past that, though.
[21:25] <+Anonymoose> You sure are. Like a cool cat. Cooler, perhaps. I shouldn't get hasty about it, but I'm pretty comfortable in saying that you're as cool as a cool cat, with a standard deviation of .3 cool points.
My mission to see 1081 great movies before I die - Last Updated 11/29/12 - #43 Pinocchio (1940)
New url! http://1081movies.blogspot.com

(old reviews) http://1081beforeyoudie.blogspot.com
Owen Glyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2011, 04:02 AM   #4
Blake4000
Warlord

Loved the game for many years and contemplating playing it again a few times over the years. I think it has great replayability to be honest due to the amount of options and settings you can select before a game. But times move on. Still a classic fondly remembered game for me though

Rise of Legends however I felt was a real let-down and disappointment.
Blake4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:05 AM   #5
cugel
Chieftain

Civilization V is letting me down, whether it is because of the Steam misery or the game using up too much memory for my 3 year old computer. I've gone back to playing an occasional game of Call to Power, very enjoyable, or Rise of Nations (gold). If you see what the programmers have managed to show with RoN, and all the settings you can play, you wonder why Civ5 looks so boring and eats so much memory. Having to play it through Steam is really annoying anyway. I bought the disk, damn it!
cugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:55 AM   #6
magnate
Chieftain

RoN is still my favourite RTS game by quite a way (excepting Brood War of course, but I have to be in a different mood for sci-fi).

IMO the strategic game has one fatal flaw, which is that you get all a country's territories when you take its capital. I've been trying to find a way to mod the strategic game so this doesn't happen, but my modding skills are poor. It ought to be possible to create a minor variant campaign where you are trying to conquer the world one province at a time - this seems to require less modding than e.g. the Cold War campaign.

Ho hum. Still fun though.
magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:53 AM   #7
alexcross
Chieftain

anyone still play this online anymore? I used to back in the day.
alexcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Frampo
Chieftain

I love this game. I am not very good at it though, only being able to win most of the time on moderate. Recently my friend got this game (w/o TaP) and we are enjoying it immensely, taking turns crushing great mother Russia's foes (lol). Before last weekend, I had only played easy and on TaP. boy was that a wake-up call. I actually lost a match!

I never wanted to stop playing. The game was amazing! I STILL don't understand how people finished their homework when this game was waiting. I want to play again, but my computer broke Does anyone want to give me a computer
Frampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 11:50 PM   #9
miran
Chieftain

Rise of Nations is a really nice game, thought it doesn't have any campaign, which make you feel bored cuz any RTS have a great campaign like warcraft or starcraft or AOE
miran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Owen Glyndwr
The Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by miran View Post
Rise of Nations is a really nice game, thought it doesn't have any campaign, which make you feel bored cuz any RTS have a great campaign like warcraft or starcraft or AOE
It has a campaign. And the expansion adds several more. They may not be story driven like warcraft or starcraft, but it's still there.
[21:25] <+Anonymoose> You sure are. Like a cool cat. Cooler, perhaps. I shouldn't get hasty about it, but I'm pretty comfortable in saying that you're as cool as a cool cat, with a standard deviation of .3 cool points.
My mission to see 1081 great movies before I die - Last Updated 11/29/12 - #43 Pinocchio (1940)
New url! http://1081movies.blogspot.com

(old reviews) http://1081beforeyoudie.blogspot.com
Owen Glyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Thormodr
Servant of Civ

It's still fun after all these years.

I play it every once in awhile for old time's sake.

Brian Reynolds was one of the great ones. *Sigh*
John 3:16 (KJV)
Thormodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:23 AM   #12
mwyeoh
Chieftain

I loved the game and played it for a bit recently. I really wished they had made a sequel to it
mwyeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:23 AM   #13
TLF
Prince

It's a good game and I enjoy it.

I used to think I liked it better than Age of Kings, but now I find that I tend to play Age of Kings more.
TLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Voyhkah
Political Activist

I still play it.
Civilization IV:is Now Obscenely Complecated! Featuring Resource Stockpiling, Stratigems, Culture Families, Heroes, and more!
I have Asperger's Syndrome. If you do too and you're willing to come out, copy and paste this into your sig.
Voyhkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:07 PM   #15
Aumo
Chieftain

I still play this game !
Aumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:47 AM   #16
Peck of Arabia
Sociable Recluse

I used to play it at lot at uni with my housemate, and still do whenever I go up to visit, I don't play it on my own any more, though.

Once you've played all the campaigns, and a few skirmishes, the game quickly loses its novelty. If only the scenario editor (Specifically the Script editor) hadn't been such a let down.

My Rome:Total War (not Rome 2, God no!) Let's Play trilogy:
Building up Rome, Taking down Rome, Saving Rome
Something for if you've got 40+ hours to kill...
Peck of Arabia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:54 AM   #17
gps
King

Yes, actually just started. Saw the Gold edition from a budget label for five bucks or so and though I should give it a try. To be honest I am not the biggest fan of RTS and usually avoid that stuff. But I am a big fan of LOTR and enjoyed playing through the Battle for Middle Earth campaigns, so I figured a RTS with heavy Civ flavour could also be fun for an hour or two...
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:40 PM   #18
Wondering Kid
Prince

I used to play it, until my PC got rebooted and the game was deleted a couple months ago. Since I never found the CDs, only option left is to DL it. Oh well, to the pirate Bay I go...

It is still fun after all these years, yet, one cannot avoid think about how it would look with modern graphics...
Wondering Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:56 AM   #19
Zalamander
Chieftain

I really miss this game and wish there was a more modern alternative.

Havent seen any other strategy games with same feeling.

I guess its the income rate machanics giving such a good overview of whats going on I guess.
Zalamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:43 PM   #20
Riffix
Chieftain

Was Rise of Legends any good? The concept seemed more interesting to me than Rise of Nations, I never played either so I didn't know how they stacked up to eachother.
Riffix is offline   Reply With Quote