GAK: Unique Unit Bonuses/Penalties Reference Sheet

Barathor

Emperor
Here's another reference sheet which focuses on unique unit bonuses/penalties. I hope players and modders find it useful. :)

-----

GAK - 1.0.1.705 - 7/20/2012:

Unique Units Organized By Civ

Unique Units Organized by Class

-----

All the data listed is what makes the unit unique compared to its generic version. Percentages following a listing are based off the original value before the modification was made. Also, some listings I chose to make a little less verbose (though, the Ski Infantry killed me. Oh, how I loathe that unit in every way... :lol:).

Color Key:

BLUE: bonuses which are retained thru upgrades and cannot be earned normally
GREEN: bonuses which are retained thru upgrades and are also earnable promotions for other units
GRAY: bonuses which are not retained
RED: penalties which are not retained

Please let me know if there are any corrections that need to be made.

Preview:

Also, if anybody is curious and wants to make comparisons, these were some old sheets that I created for the vanilla game. I'm not sure which version they reflect. I noticed a bunch of nerfs and buffs while creating the new one. Oh, also, I didn't utilize the green color in these.

Vanilla Unique Units by Civ

Vanilla Unique Units by Class

This is great! Thanks!

nice chart.

minor point:

the +50% vs. melee naval increases the 8 combat strength to 12, so instead of -2 it's actually +2.
I guess it's a question of 'if' you want to include the % changes in the stats.

oh - and you might want to just list the free promotion if they get one, vs. something 'special'. The CKN basically gets logistics, but doesn't actually get it.

Thanks, guys! J, I'm honored, very cool.

MD, thanks for the points! For the Dromon (I believe the bonus is vs. Naval Ranged as well, though rare, unless I'm missing something. Like when you're out-teched and facing Galleasses, or don't upgrade your Dromons), I rather stick to not having the stats affect each other, to avoid confusion. Especially, since the % modifier to its combat strength won't apply when it's being attacked by a ranged land unit or city. Again, though, it's a good point and it actually means the Dromon is defensively stronger than a Trireme, even though the stats can look a bit deceiving.

I was torn on whether or not to simply display the promotion name. In the end, I decided it was maybe a little better to just display the raw bonuses (or penalties) for them, since I was doing so for the unique promotions anyway. Because some of the unique promotions may have nice, flavorful titles, like "Feared Elephant" or "Haka War Dance", but others have titles like, "Combat Bonus in Forest/Jungle (33)". Plus, I didn't want players to have to go look-up the promotions if they weren't familiar with them.

But, I thought it was important to at least distinguish the bonuses from earnable promotions since they could potentially be more valuable and allow one to obtain stronger promotions. So, I added the green color, which is close to the blue color.

I also thought about adding the title in parentheses behind the bonus, like "+15% melee strength in rough terrain (Drill I)" but then things were getting a little verbose and long, and I wanted to keep the size of the text boxes down.

You're right about the Cho-Ko-Nu (took me a little while to figure out that acronym, lol). It's basically the same promotion, it's peculiar that the devs chose to handle it that way, since it's probably very rare that you'll ever be able to utilize Logistics along with its unique double attack (since it only has 2 movement points). (Example: a scout with Scouting III being upgraded to an archer via an Ancient Ruin, and then upgrading it up to a CKN while obtaining either Barrage III or Accuracy III in order to get Logistics. Yeah... not likely.) I'll have to take note of that for my mod. :D

Some other things I left out, again, to keep it from being too verbose. Like the Hakkapeliitta's ability, "stacked great general gains same movment", I left out the part that the great general needs to begin its turn on the same stack as the Hakka.

D'oh, I just noticed an error though. The samurai's Shock I should only be 15% now, I must've brushed over it while upgrading the sheet, forgetting for a moment that they nerfed them. :sad:

Please, if anybody notices any more corrections or has suggestions, let me know! I'll correct the samurai on my file and wait a little while in case there are more to change before I create the image montage again and upload it.

I think you forgot to put Khan(second Mongolia's UU) here . BTW,nice work here .

I thought about including the Khan, but I originally created this sheet for myself to observe which units have retainable promotions and to compare their bonuses alongside each other (to assist in some modding). The Khan just remains as is, it doesn't upgrade to anything. Plus, it's different from the others in that it's a great person.

Oh, I just noticed your name! I mean no offense Mr. Khan. ;) I have the utmost respect for your hordes and enjoy conquering/pillaging/razing everything around me as them. The Huns still don't have anything on you guys. :D

Very nice!

Another minor point. The inability to attack units is kept if you promote a battering ram.

Thanks, Gucumatz. I verified that via Firetuner and you're correct.

Though, it doesn't really apply since the siege units it upgrades to can't melee attack anyway. They're still able to bombard units. That would've been an awful bug if it prevented that! :)

I think to avoid confusion, I'll keep it as is, since it still becomes obsolete. It should probably be adjusted in a patch and <LostWithUpgrade> set to "true".

I think you forgot to put Khan(second Mongolia's UU) here . BTW,nice work here .

Yeah my guess is it's a UGG, not a UU.

Nice idea - If I were to give one thought, it'd be that I found the colour scheme slightly confusing at first. The red was fine but I forgot what the others meant. Maybe include the colour notes directly on the graph, or perhaps use different shades of the same colour? Dunno, maybe I'm just being stupid. Anyway other than that it looks good!

Will this be updated for BNW? Pretty please, with a Sugar resource on top?

I ll second the request for a BNW version , and I add here my thanks to barathor for this ressource which has been a reference for me during my thousands of hours of civ !

This page has certainly made looking up UUs so much easier, particularly on which promotions are unique (and in the case of the Cossack, stack with a non-unique one.) For anyone looking for BNW reference, here's what I know about its UUs (may not be 100% accurate)

Edit: Changed some categories after testing some UUs

Assyria - Siege Tower
Catapult -> Trebuchet

33% defence vs Ranged
+5 strength (+71%)
+1 sight
50% bonus to cities for units within 2 tiles when this unit is adjacent to an enemy city
No ranged attack
May only attack cities

Brazil - Pracinha
Infantry -> Mechanised Infantry

Gains Golden Age points per kill equal to the strength of the killed unit

I'm assuming this carries on upgrade, though I don't have 100% confirmation.

Indonesia - Kris Swordsman
Swordsman -> Longswordsman

Gains a random special promotion after first round of combat

Possibilities:
  • +50% attack, -20% defence
  • Gives a 15% bonus to nearby units like a Great General
  • +30% defence, +20HP healed per turn
  • Heal 100 damage if it kills a non-barbarian
  • +1 movement and +1 attack
  • +50% flanking bonus
  • Lose 20HP per turn in enemy territory
  • -10% attack, -30% defence

Edit: After trying out Indonesia, I found that all the promotions for good and ill carry over on upgrade.

Morocco - Berber Cavalry
Cavalry -> Landship

+50% in deserts
+25% in friendly territory

Poland - Winged Hussar
Lancer -> Anti-Tank Gun

When damage exceeds the targets' in when attacking, the target retreats a tile or takes more damage
+15% melee strength in open terrain
+1 movement
+3 strength (+17%)

Portugal - Nau
Caravel -> Ironclad

One-time ability to gain gold and XP when adjacent to a foreign tile
+1 movement

I'm not entirely sure if you can use the trade mission bonus if you upgrade the Nau beforehand. I'm assuming yes.

The Shoshone - Pathfinder
Scout

Can choose Ancient Ruins benefit from a random selection of options
+3 strength (+60%)
Upgrades to Composite Bowman from Ancient Ruins instead of Archer
+20 production cost (+80%)

The Shoshone - Comanche Riders
Cavalry -> Landship

+1 movement
-25% production cost (-11%)

The Zulus - Impi
Pikeman -> Rifleman
Obseletes at Rifling instead of Metallurgy

Special ranged attack immediately before melee combat

The Zulu ability is hard to accurately describe without going into detail. It's easy for people to assume the ranged attack works like a Gatling Gun or something like that - it's more like a First Strike attack from Civ 4.

Venice - Great Galleass
Galleass -> Frigate

+2 strength (+13%)
+3 ranged strength (+18%)
+10 production cost (+10%)

Different Obseletion times

While I'm here, I might as well list the units that go obselete at different times to regular units, as for some units it's an important part of strategy.
  • Hunnic Battering Ram: Physics, not Civil Service
  • Roman Legion: Gunpowder, not Steel
  • Iroquoian Mohawk Warrior: Gunpowder, not Steel
  • Danish Berserker: Metallurgy, not Gunpowder
  • Zulu Impi: Rifling, not Metallurgy
  • Japanese Samurai: Rifling, not Gunpowder
  • Korean Turtle Ship: Replaceable Parts, not Steam Power

Warriors and replacements obselete at Metal Casting, rather than Iron Working where Swordsmen come along (one of the few exceptions to the rule that units obselete when the one they upgrade to has been researched.) The B17 and Zero never obselete, like their generic counterparts.

Top Bottom