Capto Iugulum

OOC: I for one think I should be applauded for my amazing statesmanship :p

As the fiftieth anniversary of the Riksdag of Vinland approached, plans for a nationwide celebration began. As part of this celebration, symbols representing each of the eight landsdelar (parts of a country, a term roughly equivalent to 'region') were gathered,to represent the vastness and diversity of the nation's lands. While many of these areas had some heraldry and popular representations, there were few widely agreed-upon symbols. To correct this unfortunate absence, Vinland's foremost vexillologists collaborated to begin designing proposals for the flags of the landsdelar.

Nya Sverige

The oldest settled lands in Vinland, Nya Sverige contains the national capital, Nya Stockholm, the largest city, Nya Göteborg, which measures in at just over a million souls, and over a third of Vinland's population. Nya Sverige is the most heavily developed of the landsdelar. Its densest region stretches along the Birgittasfloden alternating between vast farmlands along the Birgittasfloden and a series of huge, industrialized cities. Fortifications and military installations dot the south, where Nya Sverige borders America, while hundreds of small fishing communities dot the coastal regions of the north. In the interior hinterlands are vast forests, and a wealth of resources that have still yet to be tapped.

Unofficial flag of Nya Sverige, utilizing the reversed colours of the Swedish standard. First used for the failed colony on the Delaware River, later applied to the Birgitta colony before being superseded by the blue, black and white flag of Vinland.

Proposal 1

Proposal 2

Proposal 3

Proposal 4

Eduardo Castro, Representative from Natal (Leader of the White Coat Liberals) gave the following address to the Brazilian House of Representatives on December 29, 1918.

“Fellows of this esteemed hall, I am honored to speak before you today. Yet I bring the latest reports from our embassy in Washington. The reformed Union, as many of you are aware, has been forced by the Proletarist scourge into a peace of unrivaled humility. They have given the greater extent of the American south to these murderers and rapists. This, my fellows, is as unacceptable as any act committed by the international community this decade or any before it. We have seen the Russians rape the lands of their conquest. We have seen the Japanese in our own waters, aided by the failing minds of the Peruvian government. We have seen a Great War, and won it. But none of those stand up to the sheer embarrassment of this treaty. None before this act have been as blatantly incorrect and misguided as the President of the Second Union, whom we allowed to exist on the backs of bleeding Brazilian hearts. *interrupted by momentary jeering* For far too long has our great empire stood at the forefront. Too long have we fought overseas to bring the sweet taste of liberty to the masses. These Americans have thrown it all away, fellows, every cent we have ever gifted, every soldier that has fought in Florida and the southern states to hold the line, and every effort to bring true and lasting peace to the continent.

It has been a decade. A single decade has passed us by since we bled on the beaches of Spanish Morocco. A single decade has passed since our fleets defended the British Isles from foreign invasion. A single decade, fellows of this hall, has passed. But do we forget what we gained there? Do we forget what we fought for? Our allies still stand by us a decade on, Argentina and Colombia, Paraguay and Uruguay, and the British. We have formed lasting bonds through blood and sacrifice. Lasting bonds that by all means must be defended, but… a change must come to our great motherland. The American government has spit on the work of her allies with this treaty. The Europeans attack our ships to defend tyrannical kings. The Peruvians and Chileans build fortifications in preparation for invasions that will never come. Why? It is simple to see that the world shuns our work for the greater good. Where would the Americans be had we not held Florida? Where would the Germans be if we had not fought the Confederation and her allies? Where would the Italian state be had the great Admiral Buzatto not defended it to his dying breath?

‘In hell with the Pope’ – adds an unknown representative.

The old order collapsed. A new one is born. I have worked with my political allies in congress, in the local legislator and beyond. We are rebuilding every day a new and better opposition to the Conservatives. If they [Conservatives] wish to send our money abroad to ungrateful states as the Second Union, so rings their funeral bell. I have managed to gain enough support to pass the Brazil First Act this coming year, but every single vote earned must be maintained through hard work and proper policy. I need you. Brazil needs us. We must look inward. We must withdraw our support for failing states to make ours stronger as a whole. We must bring our men home, to stay until a great threat presents itself to the Brazilian people or her true allies. We must focus on ourselves, to improve our education, to improve social services and defense for the next generation of Brazilians. We will withdraw from the world stage now. They may dance their chaotic dance without threat of our lawful justice. They will see the good we've done as they lose it all to their petty fighting and tyranny. They will learn the hard lesson, and we will reeducate them on the other side.”

OOC: I for one think I should be applauded for my amazing statesmanship :p

OOC: I did not bring the United States under 70 years of brutal dictatorship with statesmanship. No, it took blood, guts, and being a total hard a**. Just sayin'.

@Iggy: If you're looking for votes for your flag proposals, 1st flag gets my vote.

I like proposal 3 as well. The first proposal looks a little clustered, I'm not sure 3 crowns really fit in the circle.

Proposal 1 or proposal 2.

Circuit likes the one with no defacement of the outlined blue nordic cross on a yellow field and no monarchic imagery, LoE likes any design with the Gyllensvärd and Tre Kronor, the emblems of the Vinlandic monarchy, while Grandkhan, Luckymoose and Iggy like design 3, with a single Krona representing the seat of the monarchy and governmental power, drawn within the open circle defacing the nordic cross.

In a totally unrelated note, I put together a little timeline of Vinland's government for all to enjoy. :)

And while I'm at it, here's an update of the Scandinavian/Vinlandic royal families. I still have no idea what Harald II's wife and Kristian I's mother is named, so her place will remain blank until more information arises. For that matter, any information that LoE has to add will be happily added to this tree.

Pending LoE's and Jason's approval, I wrote Kristian in as having been born in 1883, when his father was 36. Coincidentally, such a birthdate would make Kristian 36 today.

I drew it in GIMP 2.0. It's got a bunch of layers that let me move things around pretty easily. If you're really interested in how I did it, I could explain on #neverending or #nes or on AIM/MSN.

OOC: Wait, the US really is signing this?

OOC: Yeah, seems like Azale did sign it by orders going by his recent comments, but it would be nice to see it by thread.

Lord Iggy: Proposal 1 or 3.

To: the White-Coat Liberals of Brazil

If we are victorious we plan to normalize our tariffs on Brazilian goods if your conservative government is still in charge, furthermore if your party comes into control during our tenure we will offer a trade agreement.

To: Argentina

If we are victorious we will, as planned, offer to normalize our trade with Argentina.

Maugan crouched on the balcony that surrounded the Great hall of the Palace of Nantes, the guard beside him lying on the ground in his own blood. The blood reminded him of his cause, and why he was here. His superiors had ordered his men to wear the uniform of the Radicalau. The Arweinydd knew of his loyalty to the cause, and had handpicked him and this squad to go on this mission of death.
Their target was none other than the king himself.
Ripped back to the present by the feeling of the other man's blood against his leg Maugan aimed his gun through the railing. King Henry V tore off a big leg off of one of the chickens when he fired his rifle. It seemed like forever until the King was hit by his bullet. Once the bullet hit King Henry in the head, a rousing cry of "FOR THE REVOLUTION!" was roared, drowned out by the crack of rifle fire. The Aristocracy began to run away from the great hall screaming as blood soaked the fine food sitting on the tables. His squad had been particularly careful to leave the heir to the throne alive - his death would render the entire operation pointless.

Maugan surveyed the carnage. Their work was done. The king and the members of the council were all dead. He shouldered his rifle and unholstered his pistol as he marched out the door. When the Arweinydd had picked them for this job, they knew none of them would make it out alive. They were willing to die for freedom and equality.

He noticed the flashes before the bullets hit him. The royal guard had arrived to crush the assassins. He watched as his brothers and sisters were cut down by the Imperial guardsmen. He cracked his back tooth and the chemical seeped into his mouth. Then his body began to go numb as the world grew dim. The last thoughts to pass through his mind were of his hated enemies the proletariats, and the terrible vengeance his sacrifice would call down upon them. That and victory. Victory no matter the cost.

OOC: I did not bring the United States under 70 years of brutal dictatorship with statesmanship. No, it took blood, guts, and being a total hard a**. Just sayin'.

OOC: And somehow, I managed to clean up your mess in only 4 turns. I truly am a legend for the history books.

That's kind of a weird statement, because the only reason the United States became a dictatorship is because you convinced the Spanish to back you up, not because of some striking military victory.

So yeah, you kinda did bring the United States under 70 years of brutal dictatorship with statesmanship. :p

That's kind of a weird statement, because the only reason the United States became a dictatorship is because you convinced the Spanish to back you up, not because of some striking military victory.

So yeah, you kinda did bring the United States under 70 years of brutal dictatorship with statesmanship. :p

There is a book idea I proposed to EQ some time ago, about what may have happened if Spain had not supported the Scott coup. It would be the first Uchronia (Alternate History) of the world. And I am seriously considering putting it up myself if EQ doesn't.

Jacksonia congratulates the US and the Proletarists, eace is restored to North America at last.

EQ: sorry, I couldn't send orders, and since the deadline has passed... :( just take a logical course of action if possible.

Top Bottom